• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the biggest drop in quality between a game and its immediate follow-up?

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
If 2D Mario platformers count as their own contiguous series, Super Mario World -> New Super Mario Bros.
Yoshi's Island -> Yoshi's Story
Final Fantasy Tactics -> Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Wario Land 4 -> Wario: Master of Disguise
Golden Sun II -> Golden Sun: Dark Dawn
Crazy Taxi -> Crazy Taxi 2
Mirror's Edge -> Mirror's Edge: Catalyst
Contra: Hard Corps -> Contra: Legacy of War
Castlevania -> Castlevania II: Simon's Quest
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night -> Castlevania 64
Suikoden V -> Suikoden Tierkreis
Gradius V -> Otomedius

KONAMIIIIIIIIIIIII

In terms of spritual sequels, Panzer Dragoon Orta -> Crimson Dragon

Mass Effect 1 to Mass Effect 2

I'd say it's the biggest drop in potential I've ever seen, not neccessarily quality. What was there was by no means perfect but improvable, they failed to live up to the promise the first game made (be it intentional or unintentional).

The second improved on things that are commendable and respectable, but that was not what I was hoping to be the only improvement, I expected that to be among the improvements as a part of many other improvements.

On the top of the list was the worldbuilding, the Star Trek / Babylon 5 living and breathing universe, the feeling to be a part of something way bigger. The space GTA without the flaws of repeating and uninspired side missions. That was hinted at in Mass Effect 1, it wasn't fully realised and it was probably extremely difficult to achieve it with the second. Which could be a reason why they completely removed that from the second game and concentrated on the other things. Maybe they never had that goal in the first place with the first game, I don't know. But I could still feel it.
They were close to creating something truly special, wether they knew it or not.

Caim

You can't be the "new kid" forever!

You-cant-be-the-new-kid-forever-F-Da-Police_o_128803.jpg

lol

abracadaver

Mario 64 -> Mario Sunshine
Duke Nukem 3D -> Duke Nukem Forever
Battlefield 1942 -> Battlefield Vietnam
Gears of War 3 -> Gears of War Judgment
Quake 2 -> Quake 3
Unreal -> Unreal 2
Blood -> Blood 2
Postal 2 -> Postal 3

Javier23

Banned
Mass Effect 1 -> Mass Effect 2
Fallout 2 -> Fallout 3
System Shock 2 -> Bioshock
Metal Gear Solid 3 -> Metal Gear Solid 4
Morrowind -> Oblivion
Mafia -> Mafia 2
Mafia 2 -> Mafia 3
Arkham Asylum -> Arkham City
The Longest Journey -> Dreamfall
Thief 2 -> Thief DS
Deus Ex -> Deus Ex IW
Operation Flashpoint CWC -> Armed Assault
NOLF2 -> Contract JACK
Tomb Raider Underworld -> Tomb Raider 2013
Dragon Age -> Dragon Age 2
Silent Hill 3 -> Silent Hill 4

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Dragon Age Origins to Dragon Age 2. Nothing else comes close.

F.E.A.R to F.E.A.R 2. I know there are those who thought 2 was a very good game, but for me, the game was a huge letdown and just my opinion, but I think it suffered because the game got compromised because it was developed with consoles in mind. Whereas the first one, it was developed with pc in mind only at the time.

Here's another:

Gradius Gaiden (sublime) -> Gradius IV (meh)

They made the superior one the gaiden entry and the inferior one the numerical sequel! Why?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I'll echo the Saints Row 2 -> Saints Row 3, but it's a bit peculiar in that SR3 is undeniably superior from a technical standpoint in just about every way.

For me, SR2's superiority lies in the play-it-straight attitude it framed its own hyperbolic style. This gave it brilliantly dark sense of humour, particularly in the the Boss character, who in SR2 is a legit psychopath the other Saints both respect and fear. He's their buddy yeah, but if they fuck up they know their ass is on the line.

It's not as nuanced as Tony Soprano, obviously, but it was a refreshing difference from the cognitive dissonance required by GTAIV (and V, where only Trevor was really suitably monstrous for the mayhem the game invites).

SR3 just became a cartoon; pumping all the silliness, self-awareness and outrageousness to 11 and dialling the underlying psychopathy down.

A-V-B

I'll echo the Saints Row 2 -> Saints Row 3, but it's a bit peculiar in that SR3 is undeniably superior from a technical standpoint in just about every way.

For me, SR2's superiority lies in the play-it-straight attitude it framed its own hyperbolic style. This gave it brilliantly dark sense of humour, particularly in the the Boss character, who in SR2 is a legit psychopath the other Saints both respect and fear. He's their buddy yeah, but if they fuck up they know their ass is on the line.

It's not as nuanced as Tony Soprano, obviously, but it was a refreshing difference from the cognitive dissonance required by GTAIV (and V, where only Trevor was really suitably monstrous for the mayhem the game invites).

SR3 just became a cartoon; pumping all the silliness, self-awareness and outrageousness to 11 and dialling the underlying psychopathy down.

and they got rid of the super awesome costume system :(

Fliesen

Command & Conquer 4 was an abomination, regardless of whether you consider it a follow-up to C&C 3 - Tiberium Wars or Red Alert 3.

Apt101

Dragon Age Origins to Dragon Age 2. Sure, better presentation, but stripped of much of what made 'Origins such a masterpiece.

Also Total Annihilation to whatever that medieval installment was called. Kudos to Cavedog for trying something bold, but it was a turd.

Mass Effect 1 to Mass Effect 2

Mass Effect 2 is so much better. It's streamlined and has greeat combat. I loved the suicide missions and focus on party members.

Character writing is Biowares expertise and it is where they shine. It's true for both Mass Effect and Dragon Age. While the overarching stories revolve around saving the world/universe, the characters is what they do well, and ME2 the characters are really the stars.

I found the last mission to be really cool in how everyone could die. Or everyone could live. That sort of replay value with how your choices in the setup, was awesome!

mcz117chief

Command & Conquer 4 was an abomination, regardless of whether you consider it a follow-up to C&C 3 - Tiberium Wars or Red Alert 3.

it still plays really well though even though the graphics are a bit lacking. I just got it recently and I enjoyed it a lot.

For me, personally, it's Perfect Dark to Perfect Dark Zero. The former is probably my favorite FPS and overall most played game, while the later was just awfully uninspired and uneven. Couldn't even finish it.

Durante

Mass Effect 2 is so much better. It's streamlined and has greeat combat. I loved the suicide missions and focus on party members.

Character writing is Biowares expertise and it is where they shine. It's true for both Mass Effect and Dragon Age. While the overarching stories revolve around saving the world/universe, the characters is what they do well, and ME2 the characters are really the stars.

I found the last mission to be really cool in how everyone could die. Or everyone could live. That sort of replay value with how your choices in the setup, was awesome!
Brrrrrrr.

bosseye

F.E.A.R to F.E.A.R 2. I know there are those who thought 2 was a very good game, but for me, the game was a huge letdown and just my opinion, but I think it suffered because the game got compromised because it was developed with consoles in mind. Whereas the first one, it was developed with pc in mind only at the time.

Yes. F.E.A.R was just amazing. The second not so much.

Also someone said Loaded to Reloaded, yup.

mcz117chief

Killzone 1 to Killzone 2. They pretty much removed every single fun and interesting aspect from the 1st game and made it into just another shooter. Apart from graphics the game is worse in every regard. You can read the full story here.

Labadal

Final Fantasy XII to Final Fantasy XII.

Worse protagonists, antagonists, writing, voice acting...

Zero exploration until late in the game and the battle system wasn't very fun.

Gothic 2 -> Gothic 3
Surprised that nobody mentioned that yes. Gothic 3 got rid of almost everything that made the previous Gothic games great.

dh4niel

Super Mario 64 > Super Mario Sunshine

Resident Evil 4 > Resident Evil 5

I'll now predict the future by saying Shenmue II > Shenmue III

CTLance

So much pain in this thread.

For me, personally, and because I was a major console fanboy at the time, nothing will ever top the transition from FF6 to FF7. The betrayalton plus the switch from smooth and luscious hand drawn pixels to blocky lowres 3D with prerendered backgrounds was like a punch to the gut that I'm still feeling today.

Also, the fanservice. We had some weird implied stuff in 6, but 7 gave us Tifa boobies etc. which again, ain't bad by itself, but when put into a direct sequel...

Caused me to drop out of console gaming for a while. No kidding.

Fliesen

it still plays really well though even though the graphics are a bit lacking. I just got it recently and I enjoyed it a lot.

Are you sure we're talking about the same game?
It never played 'well' imho because they completely dismantled what made Command and Conquer what it is: base building, big armies.

C&C 4 is the one with the crawlers, and limited army size, and no resource collection ...
that one:

Even the FMV mission briefings were far worse than in Tiberium Wars or Red Alert 3.

mcz117chief

C&C 4 is the one with the crawlers, and limited army size, and no resource collection ...
that one:

A nice change of pace, I really enjoyed it regardless. There is a ton of fun units and the missions have a nice variety to them.

edit: the fact that it got 64 means that there are people out there who enjoyed it, myself included.

Top Bottom