• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the story behind Final Fantasy II's box art?

They must have spent all their money on the SEVENTY SIX PAGE MANUAL.

Can you imagine getting something like that today?
I miss those things. It felt like you were setting a complete set of stuff and it also telegraphed that this game was a bigger commitment than Super Mario.

Cha

Edit: Turns out I was thinking of Mystic Quest.

ldYNsL6.jpg

Can't help but see this>

Who knows why FF2/4's box is so plain. They could have had like Cecil or someone that looks like him in the background or something. The other two could have been better too I think. Guess they didn't really care that much back in the day.

Funny, my brother and I were just talking about this not two hours ago. He said how he'd like to have it boxed just to put on a shelf, and I said it was a super plain/boring cover. Honestly, looking at all three in the OP, I think all three of them are pretty boring.

Japan knew what was up:

Okay wait...now I want to know what was up with 4 & 5. What happened to Amano for those?

VI is one of my favorite box arts ever.

Nottle

This thread shows that the NES FF games and 6 were the only ones to have good box art.

What the hell is going on with the art on the JP FF4 boxart?

Honestly I think all the FF games covers should be the Amano artwork or the minimalist Final Fantasy font laid over an iconic and abstract image like the meteor with 7 or Squall and Rinoa hugging with 8.

I prefer the minimal Final Fantasy cover designs.

Agreed. In the UK (and I assume the rest of Europe/Japan) we always got really nice minimal ones with an image subtly depicting the game's theme in the background of the text (i.e. the meteor from VII, Squall & Rinoa embracing from VIII, the crystal from IX), but I've seen some which have all of the characters crowded in which look a lot busier and uglier.

120v

Zelda US set the standard for fantasy game box art

kinda hard to think of an rpg/adventure game that didn't have a minimalist background and "epic" font in the 80s/early 90s

sora87

The original God Squad that made it is mostly disbanded and elsewhere now, in addition to being way older and technology (and therefore culture and perceived market demands) changing. :(

So depressing. FF9 really was the last good FF title. Lost Odyssey had a pretty good crack at it though.

Cornbread78

Having serious childhood flashbacks right now...

I remember an article in Nintendo Power back in the day selling me on FF and me begging my mom for weeks to but it for me...

They must have spent all their money on the SEVENTY SIX PAGE MANUAL.

Can you imagine getting something like that today?

yeah. it would be the warranty in 76 different languages.

Wasn't FFI published by Nintendo, while Square published IV and VI themselves?

I guess they figured minimalism worked for Zelda. All you really need is an exciting title with an iconic image like a sword and then your kid self's imagination runs wild.

That and just showing screens of the game in Nintendo Power-->

Having serious childhood flashbacks right now...

I remember an article in Nintendo Power back in the day selling me on FF and me begging my mom for weeks to but it for me...

yeah. i also somehow got the guide before the game, so I read through it and planned my playthrough, which was pointless because so much in the game is busted or useless lol

The US office probably had no idea what to do and just did something simple so as not to turn off anyone by it looking too Japanese.

At the time there was a lot of phobia about things being too Japanese. Not until a few years later did Final Fantasy 7 kind of open up Japanese otaku culture to America.

FTFY

ash_ag

CT_ikElVEAEjqxm.jpg

Looks pretty good to me.

OMG those are insanely beautiful! Wish modern Final Fantasies had covers like those... I've just been slayed!

As much as I like modern Square Enix's CG and Nomura's artwork, I couldn't agree more. Amano's art is just God-tier for things like book and game covers. This holds especially true for (at least) the first three Final Fantasy games, where a certain level of ambiguity is present in regards to characters. Where the US boxart makes FFI feel like a stereotypical D&D kind of thing, Amano sets the mood to something much more unique, while remaining pleasantly generic.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I thought it was kinda neat when Square was going the color-coded route for their FF/FFL titles - the blue of FFL2, green of FFA (my favorite), red for FF2US, purple for FFL3... was wondering what other colors we may have gotten if 5 got a US release for instance.

Top Bottom