• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the worst game in the franchise?

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Drakengard - Drakengard 2.

Drakengard, DoD3, nier and nier automata are all flawed but redeemable with interesting characters and mechanics but DoD2, despite the interesting twists, Nowe is just such a boring bland character it ruins it. Caim, Nier, Zero and 2B all have interesting idiosyncrasies but Nowe is just boring anime do gooder who achieves a transformation.

horkrux

Threads like this make me sad, because MGSV's gonna get mentioned a lot :(

Souls games - Dark Souls 2 :)
Halo - Halo Reach
Metal Gear Solid - MGS Portable Ops

This was a series about nuclear equipped walking battle tanks...vocal cord parasites just felt lame in comparison to anything that came before it.

But nanomachines are somehow OK??

Mr-Joker

Banned
Pokémon;

x-y.jpg

A sub par Pokémon game that is by the number, drops cross gen evolution in favour of burst mode that doesn't quite capture the same feeling.

It's my least favorite game and generation.

The_Legend_of_Zelda_A_Link_Between_Worlds_NA_cover.jpg

A soulless Zelda game with a broken mechanic that doesn't know if its wants to be a remake of Link to the past or a sequel...plus Ravio is the worse Zelda characters to ever grace the Zelda series.

Hopefully Breath of the Wild will be a better game.

Sonic_Lost_World_Wii_U_Box_art.jpg

Don't get me wrong Sonic 06 is a bad Sonic game but Lost Words completely missed the point of what a Sonic game is and is a poor man Mario game with element borrowed from there.

Funnily enough all three games were released in 2013 so it was kinda rough getting 3 sub par games so close together.

Like I figured it would, this thread turned into a shit on popular games thread.

Just because a game is popular doesn't mean that everyone likes it or view it as their favorite game.

I'm honestly surprised at the dislike Diamond/Pearl gets. Personally, I couldn't stand R/S.

DP gave us the physical/special split, which unlocked the potential of so many pokémon whose stats just didn't mesh with their STAB. We also got cross generational transfer back, which was removed from RS. Great new moves, VS Seeker, the niftiness of Pokétch, Pokéradar, some amazing compositions, the most charismatic and memorable League Champ alongside Lance.

I felt DP had a lot going for it, I was teetering on the edge of being done with Pokémon but that game brought me back completely. If it hadn't been for Colosseum being so intriguing, I'd have bowed out immediately after RS.

While I love Diamond and Pearl it was pretty slow with it getting worse when weather effect with leftover came into play.

Gonna add more to this.

Street Fighter - Street Fighter
Final Fight - Final Fight Streetwise
Kirby - Kirby & The Amazing Mirror
Resident Evil - Resident Evil 6
Super Mario - Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels
Fire Emblem - Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon
Animal Crossing - Animal Crossing: City Folk
Contra - C: The Contra Adventure
Castlevania - Haunted Castle
Tekken - Tekken 4
Mortal Kombat - Mortal Kombat Armageddon
Time Crisis - Time Crisis 4

bleaker

Pokemon-Diamond and Pearl
Bioshock-Bioshock Infinite
Halo-Halo 5
Resident Evil-Survivor
Zelda-Phantom Hourglass
Half-Life-Half Life 3 ;D
And of course the biggest disappointment of this generation: MGS 5... how could a game with such fun gameplay completely shit the bed in everything else besides graphics?

Only looking at series where I've actually played most entries...

Nintendo
Super Mario Land (2D Mario)
Super Mario Sunshine (3D Mario)
The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes (top-down Zelda)
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (3D Zelda)*
Metroid: Other M**
Metroid Prime Hunters
Pokemon Ruby & Sapphire
Mario Kart 64 (fight me)
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS

* This game is better when you don't go for 100%, but I still hate being led by the hand everywhere.
** Although it's not nearly as bad as people make it out to be.

Other
BioShock Infinite***
Dark Souls II***
Final Fantasy VIII
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days

*** Not a bad game, just not as strong as the rest in its franchise.

DrSlek

I honestly liked Conviction more than Double Agent. But they were totally different games, for sure.

Double Agent at least felt like a Splinter Cell game. it had similar mechanics and level design to Chaos Theory, which was the zenith of the series.

Smash Bros Brawl because the MP was watered down from Melee and most of the stages were boring. Subspace Emissary and Stage Builder were awesome but everything else was better in Melee.

Pokemon MD Gates to Infinity because the new graphics were annoying and everything else was watered down. Slow gameplay, slow text speed, easier encounters, duller story. Everything sucked.

Halo 5 because the Campaign was straight garbage and the identity conflict ridden multiplayer is tailored for Warzone or forced competitiveness on the most uninspired roster of Halo maps to date.

bman94

BioShock series - BioShock 1
Super Smash Bros. - Smash 64
3D Mario - Super Mario Sunshine
Gears of War - Gears of War 1

Fight Me

Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis

43670-Tactics_Ogre_-_The_Knight_of_Lodis_(U)(Mode7)-7.png

It changed how turns worked. In the original, it was based on speed and weight. In Knight of Lodis, one team moved all their characters then the other team moved all their characters. Totally ruined the game for me.

Plus the AI took forever.

Mister X

Neo Member
Silent Hill Homecoming
Metal Gear Solid V
Arkham Knight
Resident Evil 6
Mega Man IV
Castlevania II
Halo 5
Gears of War 4
Infinite Warfare
Zelda 2

What's the consensus on Smash 4 btw? I've only played it on 3DS and I found it boring, probably because playing Smash on a handheld is not as awesome as I had thought it would be.

True Fire

Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire are the worst games in the franchise. Emerald was one of my favorites, but the remake somehow managed to lose everything magical about the originals. It felt small, the textures looked like RPG Maker, the new Mega Evolution focused script was insufferable, and the story additions made no sense.

Beth Cyra

For me

Metal Gear Solid 4
Final Fanasy IX out of main and Lightning Returns overall
Resident Evil 3
Mega Man X7
Wind Waker
Mario Sunshine
Devil May Cry 2
Halo 3
Kingdom Hearts BbS

Mario has Sunshine
Zelda has The Adventure of Link
Metroid has Other M
Resident Evil has 6
Mega Man has X7
Sonic has Sonic 2006
Final Fantasy has XIII
Castlevania has 2

So I see some of my all time favorite games are considered to be the worst in their respective franchise..
Ok I'll give my opinion too:

The Witcher 3
GTA Vice City
Zelda Majora's Mask
Mario Galaxy
Ninja Gaiden Black
Dark Souls 3
Uncharted 2
Batman Arkham Asylum
Metroid Prime
Street Fighter 3 3rd strike
The King of Fighters 98
Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator
Tekken Tag Team Tournament 2.

I'll be back later to just randomly mention some more freaking awesome games just in case.

Opinions are fun.
Cit.

So I see some of my all time favorite games are considered to be the worst in their respective franchise..
Ok I'll give my opinion too:

The Witcher 3
GTA Vice City
Zelda Majora's Mask
Mario Galaxy
Ninja Gaiden Black
Dark Souls 3
Uncharted 2
Batman Arkham Asylum
Metroid Prime
Street Fighter 3 3rd strike
The King of Fighters 98
Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator
Tekken Tag Team Tournament 2.

I'll be back later to just randomly mention some more freaking awesome games just in case.

Opinions are fun.
Cit.

This just sounds petty.

GRW810

Legend of Zelda - Skyward Sword.

Controversial perhaps, because there was plenty to laud about the series' most recent entry (for another ten days, anyway). The moron controls were, in my opinion, utilised well for combat and puzzle solving. The story was deep and emotional, with plenty of character development. Many of the dungeons were genuinely fun to explore.

However, it is a huge backwards step in terms of the world. 3D entries OoT, MM, WW and TP did such a fantastic job of creating vast and varied environments full of interesting characters and unique communities. Skyloft, though, was dull. Beautiful, tranquil, but dull. So frustratingly under-utilised.

As for the Hyrule sections, despite being magnificent in their own merits, they are so isolated that the lack of joined mainland map just irritated me. I adored Lanayru Desert - is one of my favourite Zelda game locations ever - but you drop in and out of it rather than reaching it as part of a sprawling, connected landscape.

I enjoyed Skyward Sword, I had fun with it. It has many pros. But I experienced more frustration with it than any other entry.

2D Mario - New Super Mario Bros 2

Ironically the most different of this strand of Mario titles - Wii, DS, U all being criticised for similarity and lack of progression - NSMB2 just doesn't stand out for me. It feels like a bit of a nothing game, a filler in the 3DS release schedule.

The big selling point is collecting coins, but there's never really a justification or inventive that truly warrants hoarding every gold piece you can along the way.

The premise just doesn't fit Mario. Why would he care about riches? This was an idea that clearly belonged in a Wario platforming game, but as is often the case Nintendo's reliance on it's main mascot was clearly apparent. A different art style and starring Wario and Waluigi and this title would have been more worthwhile.

3D Mario - Super Mario Sunshine

Not a bad game by any means; I actually really like it. The setting is wonderfully divergent, FLUDD is a fantastic tool and I even like the oft-maligned piantas.

It's more a case of being the least good. Although it has a loyal following I can't rank it above the Galaxy duo, which are two of the finest games I've ever played. SM3DW was a contender because I agree with the criticisms of linearity and lack of difficulty but it looks stunning, controls well and provided me with a tonne of fun. Plus, Rosalina is awesome. Super Mario 64 is the series entry I enjoy least because, having only played it in recent years, I find it clunky rather than nostalgic. However it's ahead of it's time and influential, and GAF would kill me for calling it the worst anything.

Sunshine's shadow Mario plot bored me greatly and any time I had to clear paint I found it tedious. Some of the levels were incredibly annoying and almost impossible to play, such as the boat journey to Bowser, the Goopy Inferno area with its damn mushroom underside and the bloody plinko travesty.

GTA - IV

V was sublime. I invested dozens of hours into that game. I happily wandered off the beaten track for hours at a time, sought and attempted as many side missions as possible and even invested in the characters and plot. The world itself was incredible, so diverse and rich with life, humour, Easter eggs and hidden secrets.

Before that, San Andreas blew me away as a teenager. I couldn't believe the scope of the game, and there was always something fun to do. I didn't play much of Vice City but enough to appreciate it.

Even the 2D entries, which are so different now they could belong in a separate series or even universe, are a bunch of fun. Heck, Chinatown Wars on DS had me hooked for a good while.

IV, however. IV is trash. Boring. Bland. Dull. I just hated it. Hated the characters, hated the world, hated the missions and side quests. Utter snoozefest.

Donkey Kong - Climber/Swing

Don't get me started on Nintendo turning DK into an experimental guinea pig for random, wacky ideas for a decade. Although there is a crowd who are besotted with the bongos and all that nonsense, what we really wanted was a return to 2D platforming, which Retro Studios have thankfully provided in recent times. DKCR is amazing and Tropical Freeze is better than its stigma of not being Metroid deserves.

I actually like Jungle Beat, I'm going to say that now. Although the remote waggle in the Wii version of the game (the one which I played) is tiresome, the game looks good and it actually resembled platforming. I bought it for something like £6, so it filled a small hole in my gaming schedule.

Jungle Climber and King of Swing aren't awful, but I just spent the whole time wishing I could control the character forever I liked rather than being restricted to hurling myself around like a furry frisbee.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Halo 4
Gears Judgment
Uncharted 3
Assassin's Creed 3
Call of Duty Ghosts
Wind Waker
Super Mario Sunshine
Virtua Fighter 3
Street Fighter 3
Virtua Tennis 2
FIFA 11
Jak 2
God of War 2
God of War Ascension
Forza Horizon 2

I can keep going.

Are the above all bad games? No. Just I think the least good games in their particular series.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Final Fantasy XII

Zelda's CDi games, or Skyward Sword

oh and Virtua Fighter 5

Justinh

I guess I'll go with Doom 3. I actually loved the game, like a lot, back when it first came out (I even preferred playing it to Half Life 2), but I tried playing it recently, and after Doom4 I just can't even play it for a little bit.

Mass Effect 1 is the best game in the series...

Jer

Couple Tekken 4 answers in here from people who I can only assume haven't played Tekken 1. Tekken 4 might have experimented with some stuff that didn't work, but Tekken 1 is an unplayable broken mess.

Anyway, focusing on series I really like:

Soul Calibur 3 - Too glitchy, bad balance, killed the competitive community, made me sad.
Final Fantasy 2 - Combat makes no sense, couldn't get through it.
Suikoden 4 - Still love it because it's Suikoden, but weakest of the bunch.
MGS (Main Series) 2 - Really tough to pick since I love them all, but probably love 2 the least, not a huge fan of the late game plot.
New Super Mario Bros Wii - Just didn't have any charm for me, felt like a chore to play.
Street Fighter - 1, then Alpha. Alpha didn't have a whole lot of charm either, felt like a big step back from ST.

NMFried

I must admit I was so enamoured with the setting that I still really enjoyed it.

Fair enough. I never played the Washington DLC either, though I heard it was solid enough. I was also burned by the ending. Ugh.

Double Agent at least felt like a Splinter Cell game. it had similar mechanics and level design to Chaos Theory, which was the zenith of the series.

I can see that. And totally agreed on Chaos Theory being the pinnacle.

wow, I totally forgot those even existed. shows how bad they were

Oh yeah. There was also this:

Tony_Hawk%27s_Motion.JPG

Gears of War

GEARS OF WAR 2
GEARS OF WAR 2
GEARS OF WAR 2
GEARS OF WAR 2
GEARS OF WAR 2
GEARS OF WAR 2

But that's not Gears of War 3 or Judgment.

Tidalwave

Birth By Sleep. The beginning of the gag that is Kingdom Heart's incomprehensible story. It was a little weird before this game. It was utter nonsense after. You get a keyblade! You get a keyblade! Everybody gets a keyblade! Combat wasn't unique or fun outside aqua's unique spells. What's better than two soras?
Four!

rackham

Banned
The new super Mario games are generic trash compared to the older 2d Mario games.

Jak lost frontier felt like a fan game

Crysis 2 - It pretty much killed my interest in wanting to try 3

Trine 3 - I thought the game as alright however the fact skill trees were removed hurt the end product in my opinion

Top Bottom