• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the worst game in the franchise?

Resident Evil: RE4.
Mario: SMB2.
Smash: Brawl.
Final Fantasy: FFXIII.
Metal Gear: Phantom Pain.
Grand Theft Auto: GTA IV.
Metroid: Other M.
Zelda: Zelda II.
Uncharted: Golden Abyss.

NMFried

Bioshock - 2
Mortal Kombat - X
Castlevania - Lords of Shadow 2
Far Cry - 4
Mass Effect - 3
Doom - 3
Animal Crossing - City Folk
Burnout - 2
Kingdom Hearts - Dream Drop Distrance
Kirby - Rainbow Curse

Reset

Devil May Cry: Devil May Cry 1
Pokemon: Pokemon Black and White
Fire Emblem: Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon
Mega Man X: X7
Mario: Paper Mario Sticker Star
Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories
Uncharted: 4

Bioshock - 2
Mortal Kombat - X
Castlevania - Lords of Shadow 2
Far Cry - 4
Mass Effect - 3
Doom - 3
Animal Crossing - City Folk
Burnout - 2
Kingdom Hearts - Dream Drop Distrance
Kirby - Rainbow Curse

Damn my dude you should play most MK games before X but after U3.

Even though I don't mind the campaign of 2, and even though judgments campaign is worse, I will never EVER forgive Gears 2 MP and what it also did to the rest of the series

I was going to go after you for saying Gears 2 over Judgement, but I have to agree; the first 6 months or so of Gears 2 multiplayer was just tragic. A hilariously unbalanced mess full of glitches, terrible netcode, and baffling design decisions.

It was bad.

They did vastly improve it though as time went on.

RBIYF

Neo Member
Metroid: Other M or Federation Force. Federation Force may be the most lackluster, but Other M is the game that tainted and derailed the series, so I would say that's the worst entry.

Zelda: Four Swords

Super Mario: Super Mario Sunshine, the one mainline super mario game that I didn't bother to finish.

Resident Evil: Operation Racoon City.

Silent Hill: Silent Hill HD Collection or Book of Memories, both are slap in the face to fans.

Uncharted: Uncharted 3, first, let me say that Uncharted 3 is a great game, it's issue is that it's sandwiched in-between two amazing game and a step down from it's predecessor.

BioShock: BioShock Infinite.

Deus Ex: Deus Ex: Invisible War

Prince of Persia: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within, it had good mechanics and combat, but the atmosphere and soundtrack were a major disappointment, especially compared the the charm of it's predecessor as well as the other games in the series.

Half-Life: Half-Life: Blue Shift, good game, but felt lazy in comparison to all the other games in the series.

Unreal (including Unreal Tournament): Unreal II...one of the most disappointing games, especially the hype and anticipation coming off it's classic predecessor. It's no surprise there was never another single player focused Unreal game.

Dead Space: Dead Space 3, I like to pretend the third game never happened.

Boem

Escape_from_Monkey_Island_artwork.jpg

Even the cover art is hideous.

NMFried

Metroid: Other M or Federation Force. Federation Force may be the most lackluster, but Other M is the game that tainted and derailed the series, so I would say that's the worst entry.

Zelda: Four Swords

Super Mario: Super Mario Sunshine, the one mainline super mario game that I didn't bother to finish.

Resident Evil: Operation Racoon City.

Silent Hill: Silent Hill HD Collection or Book of Memories, both are slap in the face to fans.

Uncharted: Uncharted 3, first, let me say that Uncharted 3 is a great game, it's issue is that it's sandwiched in-between two amazing game and a step down from it's predecessor.

BioShock: BioShock Infinite.

Deus Ex: Deus Ex: Invisible War

Prince of Persia: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within, it had good mechanics and combat, but the atmosphere and soundtrack were a major disappointment, especially compared the the charm of it's predecessor as well as the other games in the series.

Half-Life: Half-Life: Blue Shift, good game, but felt lazy in comparison to all the other games in the series.

Unreal (including Unreal Tournament): Unreal II...one of the most disappointing games, especially the hype and anticipation coming off it's classic predecessor. It's no surprise there was never another single player focused Unreal game.

Dead Space: Dead Space 3, I like to pretend the third game never happened.

I loved Four Swords! Though I did find it had much more going for it when you could actually get four players going.

And for Silent Hill and Resident Evil, while they are bad games in their own right, neither are "mainline" entries. I guess HD Collection could count since the games it contains are, but Book of Memories isn't.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
For franchises where I've played most of the mainline releases:

DQ - 2
Ys - 5
Wild Arms - Alter Code F
Suikoden - 4
Mega Man - 4
Contra - Legacy of War (though I hear C: The Contra Adventure is terrible as well)
Castlevania - probably one of the N64 games
FF - Lightning Returns
Mana - Dawn of Mana
Phantasy Star - 3
Breath of Fire - 4 (not a bad game but I liked the others better, haven't played 2 yet and 6 doesn't exist for me)
Star Ocean - 5
Zelda - Spirit Tracks
Mario - Sunshine
Mass Effect - 3
Kirby - Mass Attack
MGS - 4
Smash - 64 (Brawl is the most disappointing but 64 is unplayable nowadays)
GTA - 4
Street Fighter - 1
Sonic - 2006
Alex Kidd - High Tech World
DOOM - 3

kennyamr

Because Final Fantasy is my most beloved franchise and I consider FFIX my favorite game of all time, I will comment on that series.

I know a lot of people will mention FFXIII but I think FFXV is the worst in the series.

Worse cutscenes, character development, story, battle system/magic, graphics/lip-syncing, and a few others.

Even though there are towns and it's not extremely linear like XIII, I still consider XV a worse FF game than XIII.

Of course this is purely my opinion, everyone is allowed to agree or disagree.

Also I'm not counting any sequel or spin-off, just main entries.

Burbeting

Banned
Note: If I haven't played some game in a franchise, I won't put it as the worst.

Final Fantasy VIII
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days
Jak 2
Ratchet & Clank Full Frontal Assault (PS4 Remake if only mainline games counted)
Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time (almost ties with Sly 3)
Crash Bandicoot: Wrath of Cortex (Nitro Kart if spin-offs are counted)

Ryman

Uncharted-- The gameplay is just to rough and unrefined, although it is nice knowing it gives birth to a very good series.

BioShock 2

RE6-- The game was bloated, way too long.

FFII-- Hated the leveling system.

Final Fantasy XIII (never played the sequels)
Grand Theft Auto IV
Uncharted 3
Resident Evil 6 (haven't played all the spinoffs)

These are the 4 that come to mind. Limited it to games I actively dislike in series I otherwise love, as opposed to just which one I like the least

Mario - Super Mario Sunshine. Lots of awful, gimmicky stages. The game does come together well in the fun levels / shine objectives, but there aren't enough of those to put this over any other mainline Mario. New Super Mario Bros. is the runner-up, probably. Way too easy and largely bland. It's not actively obnoxious like Sunshine but lacks even that game's highs. The NSMB sequels are great for the most part, though.

(best: Super Mario Bros. 2 (Japan))

Metroid - Metroid: Other M. The heavy railroading, despite being the antithesis of Metroid, would be acceptable if the game at least succeeded at being a good-feeling action game (like Fusion) but the combat is absolutely paper-thin. So no real saving graces here (although at least this game nails Metroid movement in 3D better than any of the Prime games, even if that's about the only thing it gets right). The original Metroid is a heavily flawed game (grinding for health and ammo sucks, as do the repeated rooms), but even a flawed take on the Metroid fundamentals is at least more interesting than Other M.

(best: Super Metroid)

Castlevania - Castlevania 2. Miserably empty, repetitive levels completely lacking in intelligent encounter design, worthless bosses, unintuitive puzzles - there's basically nothing good about this game aside from its music. Haunted Castle sucks too. At least that game attempts to do more with its level design than CV2, even if it's a fairly incompetent action game filled with awful hitboxes and nigh-unavoidable traps.

(best: Castlevania (X68000))

Contra - Super Contra (original arcade version). A pity - the game's brisk pace and intensity are appealing, but the laggy aiming (at odds with the hordes of enemies and sudden surprise traps the game likes to spring on you) really drag it down. (The NES port tightens the game up, improving it overall, but loses the elements that made the arcade version at least somewhat interesting. I still consider the NES version superior but it's definitely a little bit disappointing.)

(best: Hard Corps: Uprising)

Fire Emblem - Fire Emblem: Gaiden. Awful, empty maps and a lineup of weak-feeling playable characters whose poor growths never let you feel like you've become powerful (unless you go out of your way to grind - an option that drags the game down by its presence, even if it wasn't encouraged by the game's poor balancing).

(best: Fire Emblem: Thracia 776)

Metal Gear - Metal Gear Solid 4. Fantastic mechanically, but the game falls apart after act 2 and basically never gives you a chance to make full use of your toolset against interesting enemies. This game (and Peace Walker, to a much lesser extent) tanked my interest in the series - thankfully MGSV came along.

(best: Metal Gear Solid V)

Devil May Cry - Devil May Cry 2. Nothing to say here, really.

(best: Devil May Cry)

nickgia

Pokemon Ruby/ Sapphire
New Super Mario Bros 2.
Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword
Final Fantasy XII
Assassins Creed III
MGS1
Smash Bros Brawl

mrmickfran

Zelda - Skyward Sword
Mario - NSMB (2D), 3D Land (3D)
Mario Kart - Super Circuit
Sonic - Sonic Boom
Mega Man - MM6 (Classic), X7 (X), Battle Network 4 (Battle Network), Star Force
Devil May Cry - DMC2
Ace Attorney - Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright
Zero Escape - Zero Time Dilemma
Danganronpa - Ultra Despair Girls
Hatsune Miku - Project Mirai

3D Metroid: Metroid Prime 3

3D Zelda: Zelda Twilight Princess by a wide margin

Mario Kart (snes) / Mario Kart 64... Can't decide!

Goldeneye 007 (n64)... Not bad for the time but it was just a blueprint for that sexy game with Joanna Dark.

Mass Effect Andromeda
Dead Space 3
God of War Ascension
BioShock Infinite
Far Cry 4
Assassin's Creed 3
F.E.A.R. 3
Resident Evil 5
Lost Planet 3
Dark Souls 2

FUCK Dark Souls 2

Since Battlefield is currently my favorite franchise, I am going to go ahead and say the first Bad Company was my least favorite. The lack of Conquest in the beginning really hindered it for me as I wasn't a huge fan of Rush. Conquest luckily was added later, which was pretty fun.

In terms of all the games I have played, which unfortunately doesn't include the PC titles released prior to Battlefield 3, I rank them:

Bad Company 2 > Battlefield 1 > Battlefield 4 > Battlefield 3 > Battlefield: Vietnam (Bad Company 2 expansion) > Battlefield 1943 > Battlefield: Modern Combat > Bad Company 1

Zidy

Dark Souls 2

It's weird seeing the reddit fanbase react to it now. It was panned a lot when it was in the spotlight but now they act like its the best of the franchise because Dark Souls 3 emulated a lot of Dark Souls 1.

Dark Souls 2 feels like a lesser game when held up to the rest of the franchise.

Resident Evil 6
Final Fantasy II
Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance. (Days if you want to consider that mainline)
Mario Sunshine or 3D Land
Crash Bandicoot: Wrath of Cortex (admittedly I didn't play the 2 post Twinsanity games)
Silent Hill 4 or Homecoming. Very different games, 4 has higher highs but lower lows.
Devil May Cry 2 (duh)
Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker (still a pretty neat portable game but far from the best ones)

Kingdom Hearts: Kingdom Hearts 3D [What a boring, poorly made game. The PS4 remaster fixed the framerate but it didn't change the big and empty cookie cutter worlds that plagued the original.]

Mario: either Mario 64 or Sunshine [Hard to choose, I don't like either of them. Learning more towards Mario 64 since I remember that being super clunky.]

Zelda: Ocarina of Time [it's so slow and boring, I've tried to play this game so many times but it just never clicks]

Top Bottom