• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's up with disc installations on Xbox One?

2 hours and only 75%?! And I thought the PS3 install times were bad.

Seems to be a common issue. Why haven't we had any more complains about this?

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I normally start an install, go unpack the shopping/do the washing up/something and then come back and play the game.

I really don't think they're that bad. Ryse is the only one that's bothered me. Glad to hear they're getting faster but I wouldn't be losing sleep if they didn't.

So is there anyway to actually check the download progress on the games? Downloading Sunset Overdrive but it shows me no indication of how it's doing or what the size is.

PureXbox

Banned
Has anyone ever been able to install a game from the disc without:

- Having to wait for an hour and/or
- Getting bizarre progress bar bugs and/or
- Getting stuck at 100% and having to reset the console?

Yes. Only time I've had a problem was with Ryse on launch day. That took forever.

fritolay

Phil or Major said it is left over from original OS and the "DRM" stuff they removed for sharing. Last week I think this was discussed and they are working on it.

big_z

For all Xbox One games, I always do the following:

1) Go to network -> Go offline
2) Put in the game disc, start installing
3) wait for the ENTIRE thing to install (get to 100%)
4) go online
5) start game, update comes up
6) download patch
7) Play game only after entire patch is downloaded.

Yeah, it's the Xbox One's worst characteristic thus far. Phil Spencer said in the recent IGN Podcast Unlocked that they're working on it. I'm doubtful it can easily be fixed if it is a hardware issue.

Since a lot of people might be buying Xbox Ones in the next few months, I think a lot of people are going to bring this up as a problem.

it seems like the system downloads/installs the patch while installing the game from the disc. if you've ever tried to copy multiple large files on a 5200rpm hard drive you know it destroys performance and wait times skyrocket. having only one thing access the hard drive at a time will get things done a lot faster. it should be an easy fix for Microsoft to implement.

TriGen

Yeah, it's slower than other consoles for me -- and it does download those patches at the same time as others have mentioned, but I haven't had a super inconvenient glitch while downloading since it happened once on day 1.

CLEEK

Install times are pretty slow compared to PS4 from my understanding (can't say for sure cause I don't own a PS4) and I believe they've said they're working on improving that aspect.

Install times on the PS4 is seconds, not minutes, let alone hours.

Pop the disc in, you get a little progress bar on the game tile on the main PS4 home screen, and after about 30-45 seconds, you can start the game.

So yea, overall I'd say that for some reason the downloads are so incredibly slow. SO is barely at 30 something percent, and it's been downloading for around 40 minutes. It's not my internet since I have it wired and similar sized game on PS4 would have already finished downloading in that time, so I think it's an issue with the system itself. Installs are also eternal, too well over an hour to install (followed the advice above) and download the update for TF. Speaking of which, I've had zero trouble finding matches, which is great.

It is positively insane, and has me seriously considering going digital on the MCC since I dread the time it'll take to install and download the patch (even though buying a physical copy is better since I have the GCU). SO also told me it was ready to play, but when I launched it, it just said installing, which felt like a slap in the face :/

Anyways, not going to let this sour my experience, so I have a question. Is it possible to leave games downloading/installing overnight? Do I have to leave my X1 on all night or can I turn it off and it'll still download the games?

ElNino

Wait, this install dance of hopping offline is common? That's crazy!
I don't know how common it is, I've never done it and this thread is the first I've heard of others doing it.

SO was fully installed in ~15 minutes for me, but was 'Ready to Play' much quicker than that.

CLEEK

So when I get an XB1 with Halo MMC, am I really looking at a 1-2 hour install, then have to download 20GB day one update before I can play it for the first time?

Holy fuck.

Phil said this will be addressed. I know there isnt a Dec update but i wonder if they fix this before next year so all the people buying in the holidays dont see it as their first experience. weird since MS is really good at software and getting things working fast.

Install times on the PS4 is seconds, not minutes, let alone hours.

Pop the disc in, you get a little progress bar on the game tile on the main PS4 home screen, and after about 30-45 seconds, you can start the game.

This is not really true for a lot of games. Some will let you boot the game after a minute, but you can only access a small part of the game.

So when I get an XB1 with Halo MMC, am I really looking at a 1-2 hour install, then have to download 20GB day one update before I can play it for the first time?

Holy fuck.

Very unlikely. My full install of Sunset Overdrive from disc tonight couldn't have taken more than 20 minutes. I could have played sooner than that.

Phil said this will be addressed. I know there isnt a Dec update but i wonder if they fix this before next year so all the people buying in the holidays dont see it as their first experience. weird since MS is really good at software and getting things working fast.

How has it not been addressed with all the updates it's had? Given how simple the end-user fix is, you'd think it'd be relatively easy to fix.

This is not really true for a lot of games. Some will let you boot the game after a minute, but you can only access a small part of the game.

Even if that happens. The full game is usually done by the time you get to the end of that small part or doesn't take long at all to get there.

My internet connection isn't all that great. After getting an xbox one today and getting a few games these, install times are driving me crazy. It sucks for people with great connections and I'm here like you have no idea.

Holy fuck.

I assume the install will take around 30-40 minutes (based on how much TF took, and MCC is a bigger game). The update is the one that will take for ever. SO is what, 20 something gigabytes and that's taken almost an hour to get to 50% for me (and I've got 50 Mbps, with the X1 wired up). I just don't get it. Am I doing something wrong?

Wish any kind of Fiber option was available in my area.

Hubble

I never had any issues. I always wait until it finishes the install first before playing though and I download the update while installing.

Never have any problem just recently install Destiny and Shadow of Mordor. System told me game need install and will start, and after about few mins the game start to load.

Aeqvitas

I installed SO from disc today while installing the update on my awful DSL connection, still took less than 1/2 hour. Not a problem at all for me.

I imagine there might be some isolated cases where all installs are FUBAR, but I would be pretty sure it is an extreme minority of systems. Still sucks if you are one of them though.

Krakn3Dfx

It's by far the most annoying aspect of the XB1, having to wait 20-30 minutes or more after popping in a disc to actually play is insane.

Purest 78

Install times are laughably bad on the X1, I'm sure it's something that'll be addressed though. There shouldn't be any real reason they can't get it on par with PS4

PS4 has a chip built in the hardware to make installing games faster. I highly doubt you can mimic That with a software update.

Yoday

Does the XB1 even have the hardware to allow for the same install method that the PS4 uses? The reason it is so painless on the PS4 is that you only need to install a small portion from the disc, and then the rest installs in the background while you play. From my understanding this is made possible by an extra chip in the PS4 that the XB1 doesn't have. I'm sure over time the XB1 install times will get better as the OS's are optimized, but I don't think it will ever improve to anywhere near what is capable on the PS4.

PS4 has a chip built in the hardware to make installing games faster. I highly doubt you can mimic That with a software update.

That doesn't sound right. It has a chip for background tasks, but that's more about preventing background tasks from impacting game performance. It might be used, but copying data around doesn't require lots of processing.

Pretty sure PlayGo is an entirely software solution, that's part of Sony's SDK/build tools.

It could be bandwidth related I guess.

CLEEK

That hasn't been my experience in any of the retail PS4 games I own.

Initial install in under a minute, boot up game, then play it. I've never had to wait for further install ever.

What PS4 games have you experienced this in?

The PS4 has a hardware zlib decoder, which would dramatically speed up installation of compressed data on the BD disc.

The PlayGo system is the real reason the install is so fast. You do a small initial install which you have to wait for (<1 minute), then the game loads from BD as normal. Any time it loads from disc, it installs that data to the HDD.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/04/24/ps4s-playgo-system-explained-by-sonys-mark-cerny/

&#8220;So, what we do as the game accesses the Blu-ray disc, is we take any data that was accessed and we put it on the hard drive. And if then if there is idle time, we go ahead and copy the remaining data to the hard drive. And what that means is after an hour or two, the game is on the hard drive, and you have access, you have dramatically quicker loading&#8230; And you have the ability to do some truly high-speed streaming.&#8221;

big_z

How has it not been addressed with all the updates it's had? Given how simple the end-user fix is, you'd think it'd be relatively easy to fix.

Microsoft fixes/adds what people vote for and other stuff has outvoted the install times. Plus if its true and theres old drm ties to the issue it might take a bit longer to make sure they fully clean it up right.

Purest 78

That hasn't been my experience in any of the retail PS4 games I own.

Initial install in under a minute, boot up game, then play it. I've never had to wait for further install ever.

What PS4 games have you experienced this in?

The show is the only ps4 game I can think of with slow install times.

Fredrik

Huh? I've installed all my games without any issues what so ever, works just as fine as on PS4 here, the drive is just a bit louder. Launch EU/Swedish XB1 btw.

Edit:
I always wait for the full game to install on PS4 too though since I heard the install affects the framerate, so from my point of view both consoles are about the same regarding this. I just surf GAF for awhile and the time flies as usual. ;) But from my understanding "Ready to Play" on XB1 that appears after a few minutes might just place you on a gloryfied loading screen instead of actually letting you play the game. Never tried it though.

But... What I don't get is WHY I need to install the whole game discs. On 360 you had the option to run games from the disc, here it doesn't matter if you're just testing a game for an hour to check something out, you still have to install the 30-50GB game on the 500GB HDD. Mandatory install is seriously the worst idea ever. My HDD is 70% full and I've had the console for 2 months. And it still stands that you can't swap the HDD to a bigger one right? What were they thinking?

Every game that I've played on disc has taken under a minute on PS4. The only one that did otherwise was Battlefield, and that's a whole other story lol.

It's definitely ps3 like in the downloading department

Actually....with downloading stuff like game videos and patches, the Xbox One is very good. It seems to be doing something like Bittorrent where it downloads several threads at one time (it seems like that to me, anyway) and it just maxes out our internet at home (and occasionally steals the bandwidth from other users).

It's only when you do two installation tasks at once that it becomes slow. Like, as I mentioned, if you put in a new game, and it starts installing, AND it also starts downloading AND installing the patch at the same time. That's where the problem seems to be.

Ironically, I can watch any game video, Upload studio video, Youtube video, etc, really fast on Xbox One....the same things (youtube, sony video, etc) are unbelievably slow on the PS4. I love watching Xbox featurettes, trailers, Upload studio videos, youtube stuff...those are all lighting-fast on Xbox One for some reason.

//ARCANUM

Seriously.

What the fuck is up with this shit?

Has anyone ever been able to install a game from the disc without:

- Having to wait for an hour and/or
- Getting bizarre progress bar bugs and/or
- Getting stuck at 100% and having to reset the console?

It makes no sense.

Hell, I'm trying to install Sunset Overdrive here. It gets to 9% after one hour. I then pause and unpause. It goes up 9% to 18% instantly. After that, every single time I pause and unpause it goes up 9%, all the way to 100%. When it does get to 100%, it gets stuck.

What?

if this is happening to you every time it sounds like there is something wrong with your xbox hardware/software.

Damn, I didn't know this was a thing. I've been on the fence about the xbone with Sunset Overdrive getting me close to making the jump. But it's the niggles like this that keep me at bay.

Oppo

was over at a buddies house the other night, he was installing something on his X1 and it was still going 3 glasses of wine later.

gotta be honest, between the absurd install times, fucked up gamma curve, and general 3rd party inferiority... I'm not in a hurry to pick one up. I sincerely hope they fix some of these things by the time the slim model rolls out. and no, this isn't concern trolling, I really would like to own an X1 eventually, but it's certainly not enticing at this point.

I will admit that I am suspicious of their motives for DRM an online-always, still. It's clear they want to move in that direction.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
For all Xbox One games, I always do the following:

1) Go to network -> Go offline
2) Put in the game disc, start installing
3) wait for the ENTIRE thing to install (get to 100%)
4) go online
5) start game, update comes up
6) download patch
7) Play game only after entire patch is downloaded.

Yeah, it's the Xbox One's worst characteristic thus far. Phil Spencer said in the recent IGN Podcast Unlocked that they're working on it. I'm doubtful it can easily be fixed if it is a hardware issue.

Since a lot of people might be buying Xbox Ones in the next few months, I think a lot of people are going to bring this up as a problem.

Those are a lot of hoops to jump through just to start playing a game quickly.

Top Bottom