• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's up with these Kingdom Hearts numbers?!

Erekiddo

Seriously, I've been out of the Kingdom Hearts loop for a while and while trying to look up what recent games came out, I'm assulted with cryptic numbers.

1.5? 2.5? 358/2? I haven't played one since the original and don't really know what these are.

The Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 + 2.5 ReMIX coming out in March.. is that all I'd need to catch up?

Tizoc

They think theyre clever and eccentric by doing such unusual things
Basicslly the upcoming ps4 release is all the primary kh games including 1 and 2

Seriously, I've been out of the Kingdom Hearts loop for a while and while trying to look up what recent games came out, I'm assulted with cryptic numbers.

1.5? 2.5? 358/2? I haven't played one since the original and don't really know what these are.

The Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 + 2.5 ReMIX coming out in March.. is that all I'd need to catch up?

Get the collection (2.8) coming out in January, and the one in March (1.5 + 2.5). That's all you need.

Thinking of the numbers as a chronology of events.

If Kingdom Hearts storyline is a tale of 0-1-2-3...

Then KH1.5 = Story of KH from 0 to 1.5 point of the series.

Then KH2.5 = Story of KH, picking up from where 1.5 left off to the 2.5 point of the series.

Then KH2.8 = Story of KH, picking up from where 2.5 left off to the 2.8 point of series.

Then KH3 = Story of KH, picking up where 2.8 left off till the 3 point, aka the end.

Thinking of the numbers as a chronology of events.

If Kingdom Hearts storyline is a tale of 0-1-2-3...

Then KH1.5 = Story of KH from 0 to 1.5 point of the series.

Then KH2.5 = Story of KH, picking up from where 1.5 left off to the 2.5 point of the series.

Then KH2.8 = Story of KH, picking up from where 2.5 left off to the 2.8 point of series.

Then KH3 = Story of KH, picking up where 2.8 left off till the 3 point, aka the end.

KH 0 is BBS and that's included in KH II.5 though.

KH Unchained X is the KH -1 and it's included in II.8.

JB2448

You guys realize that you wrote them wrong? They're I.5, II.5, not 1.5, 2.5 (ask Nomura, not me)
That's only in the logos. When writing or typing out the titles, you're supposed to use Arabic numerals.
ibrMCP4.png

Real talk though, this

The thing that comes out in March and the thing that comes out in January is all you need for KH3

is the most sound advice. Don't even confuse yourself with understanding the number nonsense. Yeah, there's a logic behind it, but it's dumb. Just wait until March, pick up the two PS4 collections and you'll be caught up. Doesn't get simpler than that.

What's the z score for the kingdom hearts saga
Also find the central limit theorem for how crazy it makes people

Idk man, reminds me of Kojima with his titles for metal gear games, square just trying to be cool
But metal gear solid 3: subsistence was an awesome title 😎

KH 0 is BBS and that's included in KH II.5 though.

KH Unchained X is the KH -1 and it's included in II.8.

I'm not talking about the "numbering", but an assumption of the series of events.

BBS (KH0) is a prequel story, but it is a story that is told after KH2, so from a storyline perspective of understanding the KH lore, that game is part of the games that fit in between where 1.5 left off till where 2.5 ends.

Guide to Kingdom Hearts ports

Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD Remix has:

- The remastered Kingdom Hearts from the PS2 except with the content that was exclusive to the rerelease Japan had
- The remastered Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories which came out on the PS2, a game that takes place directly after the first Kingdom Hearts and is a remake of a GBA game
- Remastered and new cutscenes from Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days, these are from a DS game. THIS IS JUST CUTSCENES.

Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD Remix:

- The remastered Kingdom Hearts 2 from the PS2 except with the content that was exclusive to the rerelease Japan had
- The remeastered Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep from the PSP, except with the content that was exclusive to the rerelease Japan had
- Remastered and new cutscenes from Kingdom Hearts Re: coded, these are from a DS game. THIS IS JUST CUTSCENES.

Kingdom Hearts 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue:

- The remastered Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance which was originally on the 3DS.
- A small game that was developed just as a sort of demo for Kingdom Hearts 3, called Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep 0.2 A Fragmentary Passage
- Cutscenes based off the phone game Kingdom Hearts X

jrcbandit

Kingdom Hearts 2.8 hardly seems worth $60. I tried playing KH 3DS years ago and got bored of it, yet that seems the main component of 2.8. The KH3 prologue chapter isn't very long, about the length of one world.

1.5 and 2.5 strike me as pretty good names as they're complete editions of the first and 2nd game with the side games released after that build up to the next release.

358/2 is a very clever name but is a spoiler to explain it. It's nice to see games released with names aimed towards the fans of the series rather than what the non-gaming guy in marketing thinks will sell.

I'm not talking about the "numbering", but an assumption of the series of events.

BBS (KH0) is a prequel story, but it is a story that is told after KH2, so from a storyline perspective of understanding the KH lore, that game is part of the games that fit in between where 1.5 left off till where 2.5 ends.

Right, I fully agree with this.

sublimit

Banned
Yeah it's dumb but hey this SE we're talking about.Creating pretendious and confusing titles for their games has been their bread and butter for almost a decade now.

Hexa

From that point of view, 356/2 is in the wrong place because even though it's before 2, it's told after 2 and watching it before hand is a bad idea because it'll spoil 2.

Dynasty8

Only answer I can think of... is that Square was straight up belligerent drunk when they were finishing up these games and naming them.

Top Bottom