• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's up with these Kingdom Hearts numbers?!

Forkball

Guys I only read the first and second Harry Potter books, do I need to read the rest to understand what's going on in Deathly Hallows? Pls help me, I'm so confused :(

Well you'd think if you played KHI and KHII you would understand KHIII but I'm guessing that won't be the case considering all these other games have seemingly important information. And it's not exactly easy to follow since these games have been spread out on different platforms including handhelds which KH did not start on. It would be like if you read all the Harry Potter books, but didn't understand Deathly Hallows because you didn't read some lore podcast JK Rowling produced or a haiku she tweeted out with important story information.

1.5 and 2.5 are pretty silly but you get the point. 1.5 is Kingdom Hearts I with MORE. 2.5 is Kingdom Hearts 2 with MORE. 2.8 is... the 3DS game? It really sounds like an even more souped up version of 2.5. Imagine if Sony called God of War Ascension "God of War 3.2" or if Nintendo called Mario Kart 7 "Mario Kart DS.7."

Also I still don't understand what a nobody is where do they come from why do they exist who is the bad guy is it Xehanort then who is Ansem and Diz and what was up with Nadine is Roxas dreaming still

Kinsei

Banned
Well you'd think if you played KHI and KHII you would understand KHIII but I'm guessing that won't be the case considering all these other games have seemingly important information. And it's not exactly easy to follow since these games have been spread out on different platforms including handhelds which KH did not start on. It would be like if you read all the Harry Potter books, but didn't understand Deathly Hallows because you didn't read some lore podcast JK Rowling produced or a haiku she tweeted out with important story information.

1.5 and 2.5 are pretty silly but you get the point. 1.5 is Kingdom Hearts I with MORE. 2.5 is Kingdom Hearts 2 with MORE. 2.8 is... the 3DS game? It really sounds like an even more souped up version of 2.5. Imagine if Sony called God of War Ascension "God of War 3.2" or if Nintendo called Mario Kart 7 "Mario Kart DS.7."

Also I still don't understand what a nobody is where do they come from why do they exist who is the bad guy is it Xehanort then who is Ansem and Diz and what was up with Nadine is Roxas dreaming still

What a nobody is was explained at the start of KH2:
It's the body and soul left behind when someone becomes a heartless.

Yes the bad guy is Xehanort.

Who ansem and DiZ are is explained really clearly in KH2.
Ansem is DiZ. He was the ruler of Hollow Bastion before Xehanort betrayed him. The final boss of the first game was Xehanort's heartless pretending to be Ansem.

Nadine? Do you mean Namine?
She's Kairi's nobody. Roxas was never dreaming, he was stuck in the matrix.

Permanently A

I'm just gonna pull some meta shit so.....

1 + 1.5 + 2 + 2.5 + 2.8 + 0.2 + 3 = 13 or XIII

The equation above is the sum of 7 numbers.

7 Lights and 13 Darknesses.

Nomura is too good for this world. He exiled himself from the Belt Dimension to bring joy to us lesser beings.

Psxphile

x40vJ0g.jpg

im sorry

anothertech

Kingdom Hearts χ
Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep
Kingdom Hearts 0.2
Kingdom Hearts 1
Kingdom Hearts Re Chain of Memories
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days
Kingdom Hearts 2
Kingdom Hearts Re Coded
Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance
What would it be like playing it this order?

What would it be like playing it this order?

If you've never played the series before it would be pretty bad. Birth by Sleep and 358/2 Days are games that assume you've played KH1 and 2 and ruin twists and make callbacks to those games that you just wouldn't get if you haven't played them. I can think of several moments (some being major moments) in Birth by Sleep that wouldn't be nearly as good if you played that before 1 & 2. The impact of those moments hinges on you knowing certain characters, relationships and future events.

The proper way to play these is basically release order which is mostly the way they're laid out in the 3 HD Collections (you just gotta wait till you play KH2 to jump into the 358/2 Days movie) It's the best way to enjoy the series and get the most out of it.

Heartfyre

It only appears complicated until you become a fan of the series and sync on Nomura's wavelength.

"How do you know I'm mad?" asked Alice. "You must be", said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I don't get that Sonic comment (pretty hilarious coming from someone with a Robot Master avatar).

KH is far from "pseudo-intellectual teens". No, it has a yaoi for teens fanbase, but not the pseudo-intellectual Sonic garbage. Unless you mean the OC Donut Steel, but that shit is prevalent in any franchise.

I played the OG Kingdom Hearts, I think I'll stop there.

why are people putting stock on that graph? or at least, treating it seriously when it's meant for shitposting? the linear timeline release is much better and is clearer

I mean, KH's story is a bit hard to follow, but the release order is pretty much how it goes and gives the idea clearer. Really the only problem KH has is their tendency to put "updated edition" that contained important info that following games would use, but judging by current console trends they'd probably stop doing that.

With that said, release order is much better than chronological order. Sure, Birth By Sleep happens before KH1, but it's very spoilery for games that came before it.

The graph above is the proper way to see it. I don't understand why people like to play coy or dumb to make it seem overly complicated, naming schemes aside.

Top Bottom