• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's up wrong with being called Jake or Lisa?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Instro

There are plenty of stupid names white parents give their kids, its just that most of them are relegated to the south and back country areas (Excluding Hollywood babies).

Also whats the deal with Mexicans giving their kids like 5-10 names? Never understood that one, could they just not decide on one?

Brashnir said:
My brother's ex-wife worked with a girl who named her daughter Female. (fa-mal-ee) She hadn't named it yet, so the hospital wrote the baby's sex on the tag, and she thought they named it for her.

I knew a girl from africa named "Baby Girl". It's what the hospital tagged her as and she said her parents liked the way it sounded so they kept it.

kottila

Brashnir said:
My brother's ex-wife worked with a girl who named her daughter Female. (fa-mal-ee) She hadn't named it yet, so the hospital wrote the baby's sex on the tag, and she thought they named it for her.

Urban legend? I've read that story several times before.

ymmv

Banned
Brashnir said:
I don't think there's really anything to it other than someone did it and others afterwards liked the idea and continued with it.

Pretty much the same way "traditional" named became traditional in the first place. Every name is just some made-up jibberish if you trace it back far enough.

Nope. You've got it all backwards. If you go back far enough all traditional names (at least names from Hebrew, Germanic or Latin origin) all used to have a specific meaning. There are a lot of sites that explain the meaning of first names, for example http://www.behindthename.com/

Brashnir

ymmv said:
Nope. You've got it all backwards. If you go back far enough all traditional names (at least names from Hebrew, Germanic or Latin origin) all used to have a specific meaning. There are a lot of sites that explain the meaning of first names, for example http://www.behindthename.com/

And if you go back beyond that, it's still jibberish. Even if you go back exactly that far, it's not really any different than naming a kid Pilot Inspector.

Jex

Brashnir said:
Even if you go back exactly that far, it's not really any different than naming a kid Pilot Inspector.

Except that Pilot Inspector is a pretty awesome name.

Jay Sosa

I find it more disturbing when the parents name their kids Boss (Bailey) Champ (Bailey) or Marshall (Faulk). Whats next? President and CEO?

Atleast these "ghetto" names are somewhat creative and sound nice..

Brashnir

Jay Sosa said:
I find it more disturbing when the parents name their kids Boss (Bailey) Champ (Bailey) or Marshall (Faulk). Whats next? President and CEO?

Atleast these "ghetto" names are somewhat creative and sound nice..

Donald and Edward both mean the same thing, more or less. The connection is just lesser now due to the way language has evolved since the names came into being.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Always-honest said:
Crackwhorelina Warner, 13

badf3505b7e55fa2e2aee8c0c8c84add.jpg

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Brashnir said:
What you call sanity I call madness. Your country has name police? Really? That's fucking crazy if you ask me; way crazier than naming a kid LaDanian.

Most western European countries would have something like that I guess. A Swedish couple wanted to name their baby daughter Metallica a few years ago. Their appeal was promptly shot down.

Aegus

industrian said:
I hope I have seven sons, and that the youngest has seven sons too. I doubt anyone in that decade would get it though.

Be gone sourcerer!

edit: Fuck. It's the 8th son of an 8th son for sourcery.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Aegus said:
Be gone sourcerer!

edit: Fuck. It's the 8th son of an 8th son for sourcery.

No, 8th son of an 8th son is a wizard. His eighth son would be a sourceror (which is why wizards aren't allowed to have children).

UrbanRats

xbhaskarx said:
What's up wrong with thread title making no sense?

What is the origin of these names with La / Le / Li / Ja added to the front of them? Where and when did it start and why?
ThePatriots.jpg

hirokazu

Kritz said:
It always amazes me what these people's parents named them, and I always enjoy seeing names like Elmo and Zelda and Chukaphjnticula E Hendu Zibathenci pop up. (That last one is fairly close to an actual name I've seen.)
My high school history teacher's name was Elmo.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Xater said:
The lower the income level of the parents is, the more like it is they give their kid such a weird or misspelled name.

weird. From my own observations poor white people are likely to give their kids names more like 'rainbeam' or 'sunshower' or someshit.

NZ government told some tard couple they weren't allowed to to name their kid '4real'. Exactly 2 people complained about the government 'taking away freedom' the other 3.99mil collectively sighed relief.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Why do their names have to meet anyone's approval?

Why did the INS want to change my name to Henry when I went to get naturalized?

jjasper

pseudocaesar said:
Reminds me of the list some Gaffer posted, his wife is a primary school teacher and every kid had those names. Worst of all though is try hard white people that do it. I know a girl who called her kid a-a. I shit you not, A-a, pronounced Adasha.

I have heard of Le-a (Ledasha) before too. Also from what I have gathered the origin of the prefix is a way of naming the kid after a parent (father's or mother's name and then add a Ja of La). Not the case all the time clearly but these names are fairly common in the southern black community.

JCX

ChiTownBuffalo said:

I remember in high school, a chinese kid named Henry didn't want to tell us his chinese name because he said we would all butcher it (which we probably did). Perhaps social pressures like that?

Puddles

Banned
Why the hell do we spell the Korean last name 이 as Lee instead of Ee? If I could pay $500 to instantly change the name of everyone Korean "Lee" in the world to Ee, I would do it in a goddamn heartbeat.

박 becoming Park is an even bigger travesty. It should be Pak or Bak, goddamn it. Even Bach wouldn't have been so offensive.

X26

Banned
I know, rite? and what's up with accents like those the british have!? can't these people talk normal

meanwhile, in london..

what's up with yanks and their accents, can't these people talk normal?

names, accents, etc. are all relative, there is no standard for normalcy

ChiTownBuffalo said:
Because people create preconceived notions based on little things like names. probably doing more harm then good by naming your child names like the ones in the op. Its sad ,but that's the world.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
ChiTownBuffalo said:

Because there's already too many Kim Lee Parks up in this bitch.

besada

Banned
I like weird names. Much better than standard names with fucked up spelling. I noticed that Last Comic Standing had a Myq (instead of Mike). I'll take LaTaniqua over Emmalie, Maddisyn, or Jessycka any day of the week.

My names are boring as fuck, and I've always wished my parents had been a little more imaginative, rather than giving me two incredibly common names. If they could have worked Justice or Steel in there, it would have been perfect.

(True Story: I knew a guy named Greg Strangeheart. His name was originally Greg Strange, and he married a girl named Amy Heart, and they changed their last names to Strangeheart. His wedding ring was this big white gold band with the name Strangeheart written around it. I couldn't help but call him Dr. Strangeheart.)

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
industrian said:
Because there's already too many Kim Lee Parks up in this bitch.

I guess it wouldn't be so weird if the name on my birth certificate wasn't Michael.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
besada said:
(True Story: I knew a guy named Greg Strangeheart. His name was originally Greg Strange, and he married a girl named Amy Heart, and they changed their last names to Strangeheart. His wedding ring was this big white gold band with the name Strangeheart written around it. I couldn't help but call him Dr. Strangeheart.)

That sounds pretty fucking badass, to be quite honest.

ymmv said:
I came across a Gaf posting about a recent event in which 6 black kids drowned trying to save a sibling who had crossed into deep water and had gotten into serious trouble. An awful tragedy - but it led to a question after reading the names of the victims:

What's up with black Americans giving their kids such outrageous names? I know it's (slightly) common in the entertainment industry but at least the rest of the world gives their kids regular names you can pronounce.
to be fair, Litrelle, LaDairus, Takeitha, JaMarcus and JaTavious are fairly common nowadays.

First time i've heard Latevin though.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
ChiTownBuffalo said:
I guess it wouldn't be so weird if the name on my birth certificate wasn't Michael.

I've got no Korean ability on this keyboard, but your actual name is Ma I Kal?

esquire

Has waited diligently to think of something to say before making this post
What's in a name? It is more logical to develop common courtesy and mutual respect for other people than it is to demand that they be like you in order for you to accept them.

ShinAmano

I call bs on the fe-male-e and a-a names everyone has that friend that knows someone that knew the person, but it is never first hand.

besada

Banned
What I find most interesting about this freaking out over names is the fact that all of us have secondary names (and tertiary, quaternary, etc.) these days for the internet, and those names (including the ones in this thread) don't seem to upset people, even though they're things like Faceless Master, EvaPlusMinus, ChiTownBuffalo, etc. So the names we pick for ourselves are every bit as weird (or weirder) than LaTevin, and yet we've got people who don't mind being called Rahxephon91 complaining that naming your child something weird is going to scar them.

ChiTownBuffalo

industrian said:
I've got no Korean ability on this keyboard, but your actual name is Ma I Kal?

My mother, who at the time was Catholic, put my Christian name on the birth certificate.

My father, who is an atheist, did a "Woman, HAIL NAW!" and registered me with the ROK gov't with my normal Korean name.

But when I got my green card, it said Michael on it. And then when I got naturalized, "You can't have the name Michael, what about Harold or Henry?"

So, I had to go to court to get it changed. And then the judge asked me why I wanted to be a US citizen and I said, "I'm going to Korea for the summer and I'd like to stay out of the army."

Still didn't stop me from getting picked up at the airport.

esquire

Has waited diligently to think of something to say before making this post
besada said:
What I find most interesting about this freaking out over names is the fact that all of us have secondary names (and tertiary, quaternary, etc.) these days for the internet, and those names (including the ones in this thread) don't seem to upset people, even though they're things like Faceless Master, EvaPlusMinus, ChiTownBuffalo, etc. So the names we pick for ourselves are every bit as weird (or weirder) than LaTevin, and yet we've got people who don't mind being called Rahxephon91 complaining that naming your child something weird is going to scar them.

Great post. I smiled and laughed out loud.

jjasper

ShinAmano said:
I call bs on the fe-male-e and a-a names everyone has that friend that knows someone that knew the person, but it is never first hand.

Wife is a teacher and had a Female (Fe-mall-ee) as a student last year along has had some other names like Mystery (Miss-terry) (which isn't that crazy I guess) as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom