• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's up wrong with being called Jake or Lisa?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShinAmano

jjasper said:
Wife is a teacher and had a Female (Fe-mall-ee) as a student last year along has had some other names like Mystery (Miss-terry) (which isn't that crazy I guess) as well.
Yeah I have heard some crazy ones from my fiancee (teacher) but the Fe-mall-ee always is mentioned then when I ask specifically if it was in her class or a friends class the answer is always some other teachers class I heard.

Not doubting you with a bunch of crazy names out there, but are you sure she said in her class?

JGS

Banned
My wife & I invented our kids names (kind of), but they are not too ethnic sounding.

We wanted to keep them at 2 syllables or less and be near un-nicknameable. That part didn't work thanks to grandma but everyone else calls them by their full name so it's pretty successful.

Davidion

besada said:
What I find most interesting about this freaking out over names is the fact that all of us have secondary names (and tertiary, quaternary, etc.) these days for the internet, and those names (including the ones in this thread) don't seem to upset people, even though they're things like Faceless Master, EvaPlusMinus, ChiTownBuffalo, etc. So the names we pick for ourselves are every bit as weird (or weirder) than LaTevin, and yet we've got people who don't mind being called Rahxephon91 complaining that naming your child something weird is going to scar them.

:lol busted

grumble

I'm not a huge fan of novelty names, because it makes it harder for them to interact with other people and for other people to interact with them. It's kind of antisocial to name your kid something that other people can't spell or pronounce.

besada said:
What I find most interesting about this freaking out over names is the fact that all of us have secondary names (and tertiary, quaternary, etc.) these days for the internet, and those names (including the ones in this thread) don't seem to upset people, even though they're things like Faceless Master, EvaPlusMinus, ChiTownBuffalo, etc. So the names we pick for ourselves are every bit as weird (or weirder) than LaTevin, and yet we've got people who don't mind being called Rahxephon91 complaining that naming your child something weird is going to scar them.

Indeed, there are no differences between online aliases and real world names. We're all hypocrites. I think I'll go change my name to electroshockwave right now. In fact, for Blizzard's RealID system, instead of just showing the person's real name they should have forced them to change their IRL name to their forum username. Fantastic.

beje

Banned
For those against name regulations, you should know that some countries in South America had to stop naming freedom because it was starting to get out of hand and downright ridiculous, with names such as Prepucio Alfonso (Foreskin Alfonso), Maria de la Erección (Maria Erection) or horrible phonetic transcriptions of english names and even titles like Leididí (Lady Di) or Maicol (Michael). Just so you know where are you heading when you don't regulate such important things.

genjiZERO

electroshockwave said:
Indeed, there are no differences between online aliases and real world names. We're all hypocrites. I think I'll go change my name to electroshockwave right now. In fact, for Blizzard's RealID system, instead of just showing the person's real name they should have forced them to change their IRL name to their forum username. Fantastic.

the difference though is that online names aren't real. Online is still a way for people to live their anonymous fantasies. I use the name "genjiZERO" not because I want to be called that but because it helps to identify my personality in the anonymity of the internet where interaction has become as impersonal as possible. Really, they're more akin to nicknames.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
genjiZERO said:
I fucking hate when people name girls Mackenzie. It's fucking stupid and people who do it should be castrated.

Especially since it literally means "Son of the Fair" (MacCoinnich).

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
besada said:
I'm not sure how much you're pulling chains but as I'm sure you're aware, we pick those. Kids don't pick their own names.
While I've no beef against the names listed in the opening post, I think it is apparent that some parents do go a bit too far.

Hari Seldon

Myke Greywolf said:
Here in Portugal, there are some strict policies regarding the naming of children. Unless the name you're giving your child is an undoubtedly standard one (like José, Miguel, Ana, Maria, etc.), you have to submit a petition asking for the name to be approved. They are quite picky, as the name must conform to standard portuguese spelling rules and have some footing in portuguese history and culture to be approved.

Here's a list of past rulings on non-standard names petitioned for portuguese babies.

All of this in order to keep things sane.

You are wasting tax payer money approving baby names. And your country is bankrupt. Coincidence? I think not.

-viper-

Banned
Those names sound cool.

Jake and Lisa sound like every day run-of-the-mill names. Who wants a world full of boring names?

Mind you - in some cases some people take it too far. I remember how one guy on GAF wanted to name his son BUFFALO.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
-viper- said:
Those names sound cool.

Jake and Lisa sound like every day run-of-the-mill names. Who wants a world full of boring names?

Mind you - in some cases some people take it too far. I remember how one guy on GAF wanted to name his son BUFFALO.

I see nothing wrong with that.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Hari Seldon said:
You are wasting tax payer money approving baby names. And your country is bankrupt. Coincidence? I think not.

What, you think it's free to make such a petition? No way. If it's a name that is not in the pre-approved name books, you have to pay to get it in - which is a way to make parents think twice before trying to slap some dumbass name on their children.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
WanderingWind said:
All caps. Not Buffalo. BUFFALO

Yeah, that's pretty horrible.

My French partner in college was named Rainbeau Harmony Mars. She was hot, now she's some yoga rock star or something.

But I suppose that kinda goes together.

KevinCow

Banned
I don't really like "standard" names. They're kinda boring. Too many Johns and shit. But I also don't really care for most "creative" names that people come up with, like the ones in the OP or ones that are just misspelled versions of "standard" names. They usually just look and sound stupid.

So I dunno.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I went to school with Christopher Robin and Crystal Dix. Sometimes it's a Boy Named Sue type of thing, others it causes hell for the child. You can't win 'em all but you may as well not load the pistol for the other kids, I feel.

besada

Banned
RevenantKioku said:
I'm not sure how much you're pulling chains but as I'm sure you're aware, we pick those. Kids don't pick their own names.
While I've no beef against the names listed in the opening post, I think it is apparent that some parents do go a bit too far.

I pointed out that we pick those names ourselves in the original post. I was mostly just amused, though.

Hari Seldon

Myke Greywolf said:
What, you think it's free to make such a petition? No way. If it's a name that is not on the pre-approved name books, you have to pay to get it in - which is a way to make parents think twice before trying to slap some dumbass name on their children.

Oh I see. Well carry on then. :lol

Personally I'd rather just do it like we do it in the US. The name has to be REALLY outrageous for a court to force someone to change it (like Adolf Hitler). Having a naming approval process does not sit well with me as an American.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Oh noes different types of people have different types of names...

ag-my001

From the title I thought this was about a reality show I'm not watching.

Now I'm trying to find that SNL sketch where one of the Wayans brothers calls out kid's names at a summer camp.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Speaking of names, apparently my Chinese name (required for a Taiwanese work permit) is 史提. You want to speak about shitty names...

-viper-

Banned
industrian said:
Speaking of names, apparently my Chinese name (required for a Taiwanese work permit) is 史提. You want to speak about shitty names...
Give me a transliteration of that.

AVclub

I gave serious consideration to giving my son the middle name "Chewbacca" but we went with "Stewart" instead.

The men in my family are hairy.

My mothers friend works in the town's civic centre where people have to go and register what their new babies are called and shit like that. Anyhoo, a woman walks in and says she's had a baby and she's called "Femarely" (how she was pronoucing it). My mothers friend says thats a nice name, not familiar with she asked how the mother came to call her that. The mother said she didn't, it was already written on the baby's hospital bracelet for her = Female. Theres some dumb people in the world.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
These twins who went to my elementary were named Dontarious and Montarious AND they dressed alike.

Davidion

industrian said:

:lol is your name Steve?

KevinCow

Banned
The Faceless Master said:
the funny thing is people are talking about names and bullying, who do you think will get teased more in a rural Georgia school? LeShawn or Robert?

Rural Georgia? LeShawn.
Atlanta? Robert.

I just got the same name as my father. Maybe I'll also name my son that, or a variation of it. Yeah, I'm boring. Those strange, fancy names do nothing for me and I'll just be afraid my kid will be laughed at.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
besada said:
I wanted to add "Lord" on in front of mine.

KevinCow

Banned
ClosingADoor said:
I just got the same name as my father. Maybe I'll also name my son that, or a variation of it. Yeah, I'm boring. Those strange, fancy names do nothing for me and I'll just be afraid my kid will be laughed at.

Give your kid your name, but backwards.

Then he can register for GAF as RoodAGnisolc.

ymmv said:
I came across a Gaf posting about a recent event in which 6 black kids drowned trying to save a sibling who had crossed into deep water and had gotten into serious trouble. An awful tragedy - but it led to a question after reading the names of the victims:

What's up with black Americans giving their kids such outrageous names? I know it's (slightly) common in the entertainment industry but at least the rest of the world gives their kids regular names you can pronounce.

says the person who didn't give himself a "regular" name as his handle.

Wthermans

Banned
I met a guy this weekend at my nephew's birthday party who named his son "Israel" (Izzie for short). I almost couldn't contain my laughter and later told my wife that when we have a son we're naming him Iran or Palestine and making sure the two kids have a fight to the death.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Blackace said:
Oh noes different types of people have different types of names...

no dude, OP clearly states that the rest of the world uses regular names that are easy to pronounce...

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
levious said:
no dude, OP clearly states that the rest of the world uses regular names that are easy to pronounce...
My high school sweetheart's last name was keophilavanh and her first name was just as bad... Thai people and blacks using too many letters and making it hard on people trying to enjoy reading about six kids tragically dying.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
My science teacher once met a kid, first name "Jango" last name "Bango".

Jango Bango

...Jango....Bango...

I..I don't even know anymore. The weirdest I'd ever get would probably be naming twin daughters (if I had them) Ruby and Sapphire.

(Also, my boss at work named his kid Alexander and calls him Lex specifically, and another co-worker named his daughter Aerith)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom