• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's up wrong with being called Jake or Lisa?

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my good friends worked at a child care service place and there was a file on two twin girls there. LaWasha and LaDrya. I laughed and he gave me a serious look and told me that he wasn't lying. We still laughed afterwards. :lol

Foil

Atleast they didn't name their kids Buffalo or Nemo. Personally I think they should have went with Soda.

genjiZERO said:
I fucking hate when people name girls Mackenzie. It's fucking stupid and people who do it should be castrated.

MacKenzee Pierce is ok in my books.

Davidion

Blackace said:
My high school sweetheart's last name was keophilavanh and her first name was just as bad... Thai people and blacks using too many letters and making it hard on people trying to enjoy reading about six kids tragically dying.

Actually Filipinos are apparently known for doing this, coming up with random names that means jack shit nothing and makes no sense. My Pinay girlfriend rags on her countrymen endlessly for this. :lol

Wthermans said:
I met a guy this weekend at my nephew's birthday party who named his son "Israel" (Izzie for short). I almost couldn't contain my laughter and later told my wife that when we have a son we're naming him Iran or Palestine and making sure the two kids have a fight to the death.

In Nazi Germany the made male jews take Israel as their second name and female jews Sarah.

Mudkips

Banned
TheLastCandle said:
This thread has inspired me to name my first born Sauron. Even if it's a girl.

I loved how in King of the Hill, Connie was actually Khan Jr. because Khan wanted a son.

ShinAmano said:
I call bs on the fe-male-e and a-a names everyone has that friend that knows someone that knew the person, but it is never first hand.
It's not BS. My ex took in a lot of crazy names when she worked at the hospital. La-ia, pronounced "Ladashia." No joke.

The two best ones were young brothers who had apparently beaten the hell out of each other. Their names? Lemonjello and Orangejello. Pronounced "Luh-MON-juh-low" and "o-RAWN-juh-low." Again, not kidding.

Wthermans

Banned
Patrick Bateman said:
In Nazi Germany the made male jews take Israel as their second name and female jews Sarah.
So what you're saying is this father was a Nazi? I suppose that explains the shaved head.

KIDDING

KevinCow

Banned
I wish there was a way to look up how many people were named something. I'd like to see how many people are named stuff like Frodo or Chewbacca.

Talon

besada said:
What I find most interesting about this freaking out over names is the fact that all of us have secondary names (and tertiary, quaternary, etc.) these days for the internet, and those names (including the ones in this thread) don't seem to upset people, even though they're things like Faceless Master, EvaPlusMinus, ChiTownBuffalo, etc. So the names we pick for ourselves are every bit as weird (or weirder) than LaTevin, and yet we've got people who don't mind being called Rahxephon91 complaining that naming your child something weird is going to scar them.
Clap Clap Clap

ymmv

Banned
Here's a case where the son was wiser than the parent. Zowie Bowie (David Bowie's son) reverted to his birth name and now calls himself Duncan Jones.

Dude Abides

Banned
spindashing said:
One of my good friends worked at a child care service place and there was a file on two twin girls there. LaWasha and LaDrya. I laughed and he gave me a serious look and told me that he wasn't lying. We still laughed afterwards. :lol

One of my HS teachers told me a story about two kids named LeMonjello and OrAngello. I think it was a put-on.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
ChiTownBuffalo said:
Yeah, that's pretty horrible.

My French partner in college was named Rainbeau Harmony Mars. She was hot, now she's some yoga rock star or something.

But I suppose that kinda goes together.
This her? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAN21RerDJw

Only looked up cause you said yoga rock star, so I figured she was remotely famous.

Also my name is Hebrew and I'm Puerto Rican, so yeah. o_o

You know if we all grew up in a society were names like the ones mentioned in the op were the norm then names like (white names) Jack, Travis, or Stephanie would seem foolish. Why can't people think past their own preception? Ok so since white names are mostly used in this society, anyone who gives their child a non white name is ghetto or foolish? Why can't non white people have names that are different from their white counter part?

Neckbeard

So let me get this straight... You're mocking naming conventions and you can't even string a simple sentence together?

What's up wrong with being called Jake or Lisa?

For the record, I only clicked this thread because my name is Jake. OP story is a real tragic one though :(

KevinCow

Banned
cobragt4001 said:
You know if we all grew up in a society were names like the ones mentioned in the op were the norm then names like (white names) Jack, Travis, or Stephanie would seem foolish. Why can't people think past their own preception? Ok so since white names are mostly used in this society, anyone who gives their child a non white name is ghetto or foolish? Why can't non white people have names that are different from their white counter part?

Let me guess, you're black and your name is like the ones in the OP?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
KevinCow said:
Let me guess, you're black and your name is like the ones in the OP?

don't be an ass

Did everyone watch Roots growing up? Everyone probably should.

Cyan

Banned
ShinAmano said:
I call bs on the fe-male-e and a-a names everyone has that friend that knows someone that knew the person, but it is never first hand.
Pretty much. People don't realize how the knowledge chain gets abbreviated as the funny name is passed on, and so assume it's much shorter than it really is. Which makes it seem true--you trust your brother's friend, right?

Anyway, Orangejello and his brother Lemonjello sure get around.

Some examples of actually, really true weird names:
Shanda Lear
Ima Hogg
There is also a last name spelled Lemongello.

Altazor

heh, the same thing happens in Chile. Actually I saw some list of newborn's names a couple of days ago and shook my head (wtf is a "Croxy", or "Darryx", or "Dasthyn" -which, apparently, is a misspelling of Dustin-, or "Deibyd", or "D'lehdt's", or "Enyelver"... and the list goes on).

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Altazor said:
heh, the same thing happens in Chile. Actually I saw some list of newborn's names a couple of days ago and shook my head (wtf is a "Croxy", or "Darryx", or "Dasthyn" -which, apparently, is a misspelling of Dustin-, or "Deibyd", or "D'lehdt's", or "Enyelver"... and the list goes on).
delibird.png

?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
jjasper said:
I have heard of Le-a (Ledasha) before too. Also from what I have gathered the origin of the prefix is a way of naming the kid after a parent (father's or mother's name and then add a Ja of La). Not the case all the time clearly but these names are fairly common in the southern black community.

I doubt this is true but if anyone can point to something that says it is let me know.

Fake Afrikan names

ymmv said:
Why the :( ??
I'm just messing :lol I like my name for myself but people need to understand you don't degrade a person because of their name. I have a cousin named Leroy who loves to study physics so what does his name say about him?

Big-E

besada said:
I like weird names. Much better than standard names with fucked up spelling. I noticed that Last Comic Standing had a Myq (instead of Mike). I'll take LaTaniqua over Emmalie, Maddisyn, or Jessycka any day of the week.

I agree. Parents shouldn't be allowed to do that. It is just trying to be different for the sake of being different.

Altazor

The_Technomancer said:

quite close :lol (more like a misspelling of "David" though.)

other kewl names from my country: "Hacxon", "Hayltoon", "Hyojan" ("Johan", I presume), "Jampier" (I guess "Jean-Pierre" was too sophisticated :lol), "Jeikho","Joorch" (best "George" misspelling ever).

I'm sure no one will believe this but I had a friend in Kansas City who had been a school teacher and gave it up to run a restaurant. He once went on a small rant about insane child names he was constantly seeing and swears that he once had a kid in his class named (sha-theed), that's the basic pronunciation. However when he looked at the name after hearing it, he told me it was spelled 'shithead'. If he was joking, then I sure couldn't tell. He didn't even think it was funny either. just kind of sad.

KevinCow

Banned
levious said:
don't be an ass

He took such personal offense to the topic, I had to ask.

I like creative and different names. I don't like "ghetto" names, or whatever you want to call them, because they just take a creatively bankrupt and formulaic approach to making names that sound different, and as a result they all kinda sound the same. They go one of two ways:

1) Stick a syllable like La or Ja on the start of an existing name. Preferably three syllables with emphasis on the second one.

2) Start with a syllable like La or Ja, add about two more random syllables, place emphasis on the second one. They will almost always sound like "uh-AH-uh" if you remove the consonants. Extra points for use of the letter Q.

If you're gonna try to give your kid a unique name, at least try to give your kid a unique name.

Polk

Wthermans said:
I met a guy this weekend at my nephew's birthday party who named his son "Israel" (Izzie for short). I almost couldn't contain my laughter and later told my wife that when we have a son we're naming him Iran or Palestine and making sure the two kids have a fight to the death.
You know that Israel is biblical name of patriarch Jacob and it's actually pretty common name?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
KevinCow said:
He took such personal offense to the topic, I had to ask.

I like creative and different names. I don't like "ghetto" names, or whatever you want to call them, because they just take a creatively bankrupt and formulaic approach to making names that sound different, and as a result they all kinda sound the same. They go one of two ways:

1) Stick a syllable like La or Ja on the start of an existing name. Preferably three syllables with emphasis on the second one.

2) Start with a syllable like La or Ja, add about two more random syllables, place emphasis on the second one. They will almost always sound like "uh-AH-uh" if you remove the consonants. Extra points for use of the letter Q.

If you're gonna try to give your kid a unique name, at least try to give your kid a unique name.

not commenting on examples such as la-a... but la or D' prefixes have influences from various languages, and many names that people make fun of are derived from various african words. It's not all just made bullshit.

Wthermans said:
Not around here.

http://www.thinkbabynames.com/meaning/1/Israel

ymmv

Banned
levious said:
not commenting on examples such as la-a... but la or D' prefixes have influences from various languages, and many names that people make fun of are derived from various african words. It's not all just made bullshit.

It is bullshit if you stick common French words like la or d' randomly to names just to make a common name more exotic.

In my elementary school, I knew two identical twins (classmates of mine) named Moniqua and Uniqua (pronounced unique-wah). I always thought Uniqua was a really clever name for an identical twin. :lol

My girlfriend apparently knew a lady who named her daughter La-a. It is pronounced "La-dash-uh," which always begs the question, how the fuck will you fill in that name on a standardized test that uses Scantrons or Opscans?

Machine

My favorite is still Aquanetta. Nothing like naming your kid after some hairspray.

As for the pronunciation (and nickname) issue, just look for the SNL skit featuring Mr. & Mrs. Asswipe Johnson (gets me every time).

Loki

Count of Concision
My biggest gripe is not the unusual names like those mentioned in the OP, but the trend of giving clearly male names to females. At my previous job we had a client whose VP was named Kevin. So I call him up only to find out that it's a she. Mind blown. :lol That should be illegal. :D

I also recall hearing even a MORE masculine name than Kevin for a female on some radio talk show, but I forget what it was. Something really masculine, though, like Michael (and these aren't transgendered people, btw). I was shocked. I mean, seriously people...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
blame space said:
Yeah and low crime rates caused abortion to be legalized

I'm not sure how this applies, the case in the fucked up names chapter is pretty clearly that poor people give their kids poorly spelled names. Hell, the Winner/Loser example is intended to make sure you read the correlation that way instead of the other way.

Yeef

Loki said:
My biggest gripe is not the unusual names like those mentioned in the OP, but the trend of giving clearly male names to females. At my previous job we had a client whose VP was named Kevin. So I call him up only to find out that it's a she. Mind blown. :lol That should be illegal. :D

I also recall hearing even a MORE masculine name than Kevin for a female on some radio talk show, but I forget what it was. Something really masculine, though, like Michael (and these aren't transgendered people, btw). I was shocked. I mean, seriously people...
Names change genders all the time. Kelly was once a predominately male name, but these days it's considered a female name, for example. Kyle is another one that's switched genders and some point, and there are tons more that I can't recall off the top of my head. I remember reading an article about it like five years ago.

Bleepey

I am African, have an African name and i don't understand the rationale for names like Latrelle or whatever. Do they have meaning, or do they think it's cute or some shit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom