• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's your preference: console gaming, pc gaming or mobile gaming?

dcelw540

For me i have all three ps4, pc, 3DS and vita. Lately I've been quite into the mobile scene playing a lot of PlayStation classics on the go.
I've always been primarly a console gamer and don't really have a reason for it. Now all my friends switched over to pc from console and built their own gaming pcs. I have a decent pc and will play from time to time but something about it doesn't click to me as well as console gaming. So now I've just been playing more single player games hence the vita as well.

What about the rest of you gaffers?

Exentryk

Playing console games (controller-based games) on PC. Once you set up your rig, it's essentially just another HDMI input to your TV, but you get so much more power and customisation (mods) with PC versions of games.

jackal27

Banned
Handheld gaming has and always will be my preference.

Maybe it's because the Game Boy Pocket was my first console or maybe it's because my family traveled so much, but it's just always seemed like the most immersive way to play to me.

Atrarock

Anything with fun video games, that's about it.

if we're talking pure comfort, then that really depends on the make/model of certain systems

sakuori

PC and Mobile so far. I haven't touched any of my consoles for quite a while now.

I go for Mobile nowadays because I don't really have much time due to work on weekdays, then on weekends I play on PC.

120v

i never play mobile anymore. unless playing on my laptop in bed counts

aside from that its an even split

Elandyll

Banned
I have tried mobile gaming, but never with much succes. I am just not interested it seems.

Otherwise I like both console gaming and pc gaming for different reasons.

PC gives me a ton of freedom and a customizable experience (it's as good as I am willing to invest in it), while the console gaming offers me a variety of games (with platform exclusives) and a simplicity of setup on tv with couch coop with kids that is really appreciated.

Tagyhag

My first gaming experience was watching my dad play DOOM on his old 486.

Ever since then I've been primarily a PC gamer. Though until I could afford getting my own PC's, I had to use old hand-me-downs so I either never played the latest games or the settings would be really low. Not like it stopped me from putting thousands and thousands of hours on MMO's and RTS'es.

But also due to that, I had one console per generation for the latest AAA games until the 360/ps3/wii era where I bought all 3. That was a mistake because while it was great not missing out on anything, I literally had no time to play everything that I wanted, so now I just stick to one console per gen again.

I liked handhelds when I was younger and I would game in my bed or when we went somewhere outside, but as I got older I had no reason to game outside and now I rather just sleep lol.

Just managed to get NOLF2 running on my PC. Glorious. I love my PS4, but situations like this where I can play games that are lost through time without experiencing it before and playing it in the most ideal environment 1080p/60fps max settings for the first time is therapeutic to me.

Ploid 3.0

These days, PC gaming.

Free multiplayer, alt tab gaf browsing, youtube background podcasts or whatever. I can even play two games at the same time, more than two actually. Heck I can play all the games at the same time (ok not that crazy).

Mods, and tweaks to games are usually possible. Mods keep me interested in games, allowing me to play it how I want.

AudioEppa

Console.

I really wanna move to PC. But I don't wanna multitask between two platforms. I really want Sony to do it's own thing on PC. Make a PSN / PSNow hybrid.

Yeah yeah I know it will never happen..

Jigorath

Banned
I've mostly played on PC ever since I upgraded a couple years back.

I still play a lot of console exclusives though.

Mortemis

Banned
Handhelds for me for sure. I've been gaming less and less on a home console, it's mostly for co-op and the occasional rpgs I play. Never really gamed on a PC, but I'm pretty curious.

Occam

Console (stationary/portable) only. Simple and quick to use, hassle free, no hardware/driver compatibility issues or upgrade woes, generally no DRM besides the physical disc/cartridge, physical game ownership, exclusive games. As far as portable gaming is concerned: I like physical buttons.

Estoc

PC when I'm at home, console(just Nintendo) for exclusives, and mobile when I'm out and about, needing something short to play. Why limit myself to one?

If I really have to choose one though, it'd be PC, that's my go-to gaming platform.

Mr_Moogle

Generally PC gaming for competitive first person shooters and multiplatform titles. Nintendo & PS4 Pro are secondary but still worthwhile because of their exclusives.

emperor_ing

Neo Member
When I was younger I was more PC (particularly big strategy games that take up a ton of time), but as I've got older and had less time for games I've gravitated towards console and handheld. I have a few of the Japanese gacha-style rhythm games on mobile, but gaming on a phone has never really appealed to me. 3DS has got a ton of playtime on it though.

FingerBang

I have all the current consoles (home and mobile), including a PC connected to the TV... and I mostly use my PS4, because of the backlog I have and because all my friends are there.

From now on I will buy all single player games on PC, leaving PS4 for exclusives/multiplayer.
Honestly, I played Zelda for Switch mostly in handheld mode, but almost exclusively at home (except for the 10 days I went back my country). It's handy and I like being able to play on the go, but I rarely "go" and I don't think things would have been different for me if the Switch was a classic home console. As a handheld it's great, but lately I'm using my Vita more since I have more games for it.

yurinka

In my case home console (PS4 + Switch right now) > portable (Switch + Vita right now) > PC (i7 7700 + 1070 laptop) > mobile (Android smartphone+tablet).

In console, when possible I buy in retail. In PC, on Steam. I traditionally played multi games on PS4 with a few exceptions (like an indie that is released first on PC than in PS4 or is available on PC + Windows and I can't wait until its PS4 release).

CLEEK

Evenly split between consoles and handhelds. I fucking hate PC gaming so avoid it like the plague. Mobile phone games get played sporadically, but I can't stand F2P or adverts in games.

Van Bur3n

PC of course. Although if I can't run a game I end up getting it up console. I'm falling behind on upgrading the specs. I don't play mobile games at all.

Console gaming, by far.

I don't even consider mobile gaming to be real gaming. Call me (ha!) when there's proper 3D cinematic story experiences with no mobile jank or adverts, or large online first person shooters.

Caayn

I prefer the simplicity of console gaming. However the constant 30fps target for games on consoles is pushing me towards PC.

For me, it has been PC>Consoles ever since I got back into gaming after I finished college and started work full time. But the Switch has definitely started to change that. I was tempted to buy Hollow Knight for PC this week during the Steam Sale but I held off since it's coming to Switch and I'd rather play it there. So my answer might be different if you ask me again in a year or two.

Brockxz

Primary PC gaming. Even controller-based games I better prefer on PC. Lately I haven't turned on console at all (for about a year). Not a fan of mobile gaming so I pretty much ignore that segment.

AlexBasch

My PC is pretty ancient and building a new one would be prohibitely expensive, so I'm sticking with my XB1 and PS4 for the moment.

Can't get into mobile gaming anymore, but I don't want to sell my Vita.

Top Bottom