• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's your top 5 favourite animated Disney films?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richie

The Three Caballeros
The Jungle Book
The Emperor's New Groove

Which is not to say I don't dig their more praised, more emblematic films; but when Disney bets in low key storytelling they often knock it out of the park. I'm keeping Pixar out of this.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
OP has Pixar so I'm including Pixar

1. Tangled
2. Up
3. Aladdin
4. Inside Out
5. The Incredibles

Without Pixar

1. Tangled
2. Aladdin
3. Hercules
4. Big Hero 6
5. Emperor's New Groove

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Lion King
Lilo and Stitch
Mulan

I'm very surprised at all the Emperor's New Groove on these lists. I loved that movie but it's pretty low on Disney's hierarchy of films if I'm being honest to myself.

Richie

I'm very surprised at all the Emperor's New Groove on these lists. I loved that movie but it's pretty low on Disney's hierarchy of films if I'm being honest to myself.

Unlike pretty much every other hand drawn Disney movie, its main purpose is to invoke laughs. It stands out like a sore thumb when put with the others, which is a big reason why many love it.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
No Pixar? OK, let's see... In no particular order:

- Tarzan
The music is fantastic, both in English and Spanish. I love Phil Collins, and I thought those songs were great way before I started listening to Genesis. It's a really fun movie, though I haven't seen it in years.

- Frozen
Saw it for the first time a month ago (in Latin American Spanish). During the movie I felt there were way too many songs, but to be honest they weren't bad at all; in fact, I was enjoying them. The plot also made me kinda mad, because
I found it hard to accept Elsa could be so cold regarding how she treats Anna, even though she believed it was for her own good, to protect her. She made her sister feel like she hated her and wanted her out of her life, while actually Elsa was suffering in silence because of the love for her (too many "her" in this sentence, I know, and I'm sorry). Instead of giving Anna the chance to risk having another accident by staying with her sister (which is what she wanted), the young queen made the choice for her, hurting her deeply as a result. And the ending felt rushed; not in the sense that it was done bad, but that it happened too quickly. Anna jumped in front of the sword even though she was too far to get there in time, and immediately turned to ice. I didn't have enough time to start feeling bad, because five seconds later she was completely thawed (though given that this is a Disney movie, it was obvious she was going to be fine, so a longer scene probably wouldn't have changed my feelings).
Despite these complaints, I still liked it quite more than I was expecting to, and it looks truly beautiful, with some scenes that rival Pixar's greatest achievements (the "Let it go" sequence is amazing).

Then the songs started getting stuck in my head, and I couldn't stop thinking about it for the next few days. That's when I realized I liked it more than I first thought. Watched it again two days ago, this time in English, and while I still feel the same way about Elsa (she's a good character, but it's
kinda hard to sympathize with her due to how badly she treats her sister; true, her parents raised her to behave like that, but she should have known it was doing Anna more harm than good
), I enjoyed the movie a lot more. Plus, I liked seeing a princess movie where the main focus isn't on a romantic relationship, it was a really nice thing. And yes, the soundtrack is really good! So, despite originally not being too impressed, it managed to subvert my initial feelings and earn a place in my heart.

- Tangled
Another one I saw recently, though I had seen the ending on TV before. Not as deep as Frozen and not as visually stunning either, but it was funny as hell. Can't remember any of the songs, but they sounded nice.

- The Lion King
I grew up with this movie, and watched it many times (though not as much as my sister, who could quote literally any line from it and the sequel). Everyone knows this one, so there's no need for explanations. A classic.

- I can't really think of a fifth movie. Maybe The Lion King 2? Haven't seen many non-Pixar Disney movies, and the ones I did I either disliked (Dinosaur, Mulan) or don't remember if I liked or not (Pocahontas, 101 Dalmatians, Beauty and the Beast). This reminds me, I could start watching them all, there are probably several gems I'm missing in that big library of Disney films.

Nobody likes Frozen? :(
I do, it's beautiful!

Pau

Lion King
Lilo and Stitch
Mulan

No Hunchback? We almost had matching lists.

Haly

No Hunchback? We almost had matching lists.

I don't think I've ever watched Hunchback from beginning to end...

I just watch Hellfire on youtube sometimes when I'm feeling that mea culpa.

UberTag

In alphabetical order...

A Goofy Movie
The Incredibles
The Lion King
Tangled
Wall-E

Let's not get anal about separating Pixar from Disney or I'll start adding Studio Ghibli films distributed by Disney into my list. And you don't want that.

Let's not get anal about separating Pixar from Disney or I'll start adding Studio Ghibli films distributed by Disney into my list. And you don't want that.

Any top 5 animated Disney films list would benefit from a few Ghibli films, knock yourself out.

PaulloDEC

In no particular order:

• Aladdin
• The Lion King
• Mulan
• Tarzan
• Hercules

I'm choosing to leave out Pixar stuff, because they deserve their own top five.

That and the "zero to hero just like that" song were the only two good songs in the entire film.

No love for "I won't say I'm in love"?

Right? It's a fantastic song, maybe my favourite in the film.

quarter this man, he doesn't serve any purpose

BLESS MY SOUL
HERC IS ON A ROLL
PERSON OF THE WEEK IN EVERY GREEK OPINION POLL

all together!

WHAT A PRO
HERC COULD STOP A SHOW
POINT HIM AT A MONSTER AND YOU'RE TALKING SRO

The lyrics in that song are insane:

From appearance fees and royalties,
Our Herc had cash to burn.
Now nouveau riche and famous,
He could tell you What's a Grecian urn?

That is god-tier wordplay right there.

Haly

I think Colors of the Wind had the best wordplay.

Excluding Pixar and in no particular order:
Atlantis
101 Dalmatians
The Jungle Book
Pinocchio
Peter Pan

Honourable mention for Sleeping Beauty, because that movie just oozes style.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
1. Beauty and the Beast
2. Toy Story 1/2/3
3. Lion King
4. Cinderella
5. Sleeping Beauty

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
OP literally has a bunch of Pixar choices
You're right, I was looking at the posters who said that, forgetting that OP themselves had mentioned some Pixar movies. That changes everything then:

- Toy Story 3
- Inside Out
- WALL-E
- Toy Story 2
- Toy Story

(the first two are tied, the rest is in order)

openrob

I watched it recently too and I loved it just as much. The plot is simplistic but the music elevates it above everything for me.

I WILL GO THE DISTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANCE

Don't let the haters hate

Aladdin
WHO PUT'S THE GLAD IN GLADIATOR!?
Hercules
Lion King
Jungle Book
Stuck for a fifth, but Sleeping Beauty has great animation so maybe that?

When I tried to show my friend Hercules he basically kept comparing it to the Lion King the whole time. "Oh so that's Scar then?" pointing at Hades, etc. lol.Annoying as hell - like stop ruining it man haha

Gnome

I don't think anybody is saying people should leave out Pixar movies, so much as saying it's a personal choice not to include them. I did it because I'm a purist asshole though.

1. The Lion King
2. The Fox and the Hound
3. Beauty and the Beast
4. Bambi
5. Big Hero 6

Most of them I haven't seen since I was a kid so I think I need to buy and watch them all as I create my bluray collection.

I'll pretend Home on the Range, Chicken Little etc don't exist though

Koriandrr

No one ever mentions the Aristocats... :(

-The-Aristocats-cats-36004415-499-281.jpg

woopWOOP

I guess since Pixar's allowed

1. Lilo & Stitch
2. The Incredibles
3. Monsters Inc
4. Lion King
5. Toy Story 3

Had to look up a complete list to refresh my memory though, ha

I always found it to be really bizarrely plotted myself - makes it hard to justify putting it onto even a top ten for me.

Some of the individual scenes are super fun though. Merlin packing his things to leave, wart as a squirrel, and of course, the magnificent, marvelous mad madam mim.

1. The Black Cauldron
2. Home on the Range
3. Teacher's Pet
4. Mars Needs Moms
5. Doug's First Movie

Real list:

1. Pinocchio
2. The Hunchback of Notre Dame
3. Fantasia
4. The Rescuers Down Under
5. The Jungle Book

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
In no particular order:

• Aladdin
• The Lion King
• Mulan
• Tarzan
• Hercules

I'm choosing to leave out Pixar stuff, because they deserve their own top five.

Right? It's a fantastic song, maybe my favourite in the film.

The lyrics in that song are insane:

From appearance fees and royalties,
Our Herc had cash to burn.
Now nouveau riche and famous,
He could tell you What's a Grecian urn?

That is god-tier wordplay right there.

I truly love Hercules, it's impossible to not like it for me. Songs are just brilliant as well, Zero to Hero is enormously catchy and i also love the setup, with Herc popping out the monster's hand and people and Phil cheering him, with the ray of light coming down from the sky. "Phil, you gotta admit, that was...pretty heroic"

1. Beauty and the Beast
2. Aladdin
3. The Lion King
4. Hercules

Fifth is hard. Something between Tarzan, Mouse Detective, Goofy Movie, Treasure Planet and Toy Story 2 I guess.

EGM1966

Leaving Pixar out of it:

• Beauty & The Beast (one of their best ever works)
  • Jungle Book (not really their best of best but those songs - childhood favorite)
  • Mulan (often overlooked but I think actually rather terrific and with a more mature, melancholy tone than much Disney - particular highlight is when they encoutner the pilaged village after a happy song)
  • Pinocchio (much of it seems funny now including it's hatred of pool but in terms of scope/impact I can't ignore it)
  • Little Mermaid (another one of their best that served as their comeback paving the way for B&B, Alladdin, etc)

5's not enough though so I'm gonna count Hundred and One Dalmatians (best baddie), Sleeping Beauty (second best baddie and terrific art design), Aladdin, Fantasia (wacky acid experiment) and Lion King too.

Bring in their other top tier works and Pixar and even with all the fair criticism of the company it has produced an astonishing body of work nonetheless.

woopWOOP

I'm sad to see some with only films that came out after Little Mermaid, but I understand it.
I actually rewatched whole lot of the older Disney movies with relatives one themed movie night.
The art and animation is distinct and awesome, but the plot and pacing's usually all over the place. A lot of them had these out of place WACKY chase scenes near the end too.
They're still super fun, but the competition's high.

Also think I'll change my #5 to The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh actually. Really charming movie, can't count how many times I've seen it.

saher

Banned
1.The Lion King
2.Beauty And The Beast
3.The Hunchback of Notre Dame
4-Tarzan
5.Pocahontas

90s kid as you see

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom