• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wheels Of Aurelia - short fun roadtrip conversation game set in 70s Italy!

wheels_of_aurelia_race_by_digi_matrix-d9ne37d.gif

After seeing Wheels Of Aurelia show up in a few GOTY lists (Austin Walker, Meg Jayanth, Leigh Alexander), and having been a fan of Santa Ragione's past games like MirrorMoon EP and Fotonica, wanted to give it a try. I was hesitant at first because I seemed to get an impression of it being like a visual novel game with the way critics talked about it, so didn't try it out when it was first released. Apparently sometimes with art games, how it is to play goes out the window in some critics' conversations :p

Man, no one told me how fun the game actually is to play! Everyone goes on about the heady stuff like storytelling, well written female characters, themes, politics of the time, but no one talks about how this is basically a Micro Machines game with a cool story/theme/setting attached to it.

Juggling the dialogue choices about womanhood while driving and holding down spacebar on full blast as you're in a race with a "prick" by avoiding incoming cars but also overtaking is actually intense!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHbaRtWF8jU
wheels_of_aurelia_valerio_2_by_digi_matrix-d9ne06i.png

It's quite addictive which is unusual for a narrative game but it helps because it's so short, so I want to get all of the endings now cause playing the game itself is still unconsciously enjoyable while picking up on different hitchhikers and following their stories.

As someone who knows zilch about Italian culture or politics of the time, it's cool to learn some local tidbits along the ride. Talks of fascism, kidnappings, massacres, popes, UFOs, popes and UFOs, communism, abortions, feminism, are cool too.

wheels_of_aurelia_punks_by_digi_matrix-d9ne053.png

wheels_of_aurelia_north_italy_by_digi_matrix-d9ne063.png

wheels_of_aurelia_la_dolce_vita_by_digi_matrix-d9ne05e.png

There was another rad roadtrip game from 2014, the surreal nighttime Twilight Zone-ish Glitchhikers. The upcoming Hac looks neat. I'm a fan now of this tiny genre.

wheels_of_aurelia_ufo_by_digi_matrix-d9ne05o.png

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Keyboard controls plus tiny text means I can't play this on my TV, but the idea sounds worth supporting anyway. Does a beta pledge get you a Steam key?

Also like that it's a keyboard game. Steer with left and right, up and down for dialogue choices, and spacebar for accelerator.

Anyone know how to have Olga
not betray you to the paparazzi
?

When you pick up Angelo,
have you been able to run away from the cop car? I got arrested and even incriminated myself as a willing partner just for shits and giggles
:p

The
single women raising a baby (lesbian?)
ending was pretty sweet.

I was initially skeptical because MirrorMoon EP ended up not being for me, but this seems like a completely different game that happens to match my interests much more closely. I was also intrigued by how it showed up on a bunch of the Giant Bomb GOTY lists. I'm trying to space out my purchases in the new year but I definitely plan on picking this up at some point.

hi! <3 thank you for making this thread, Iet me know if you have any questions about the game that I can answer!
I'm curious what drove you to make the game. Your previous works - Mirrormoon, Fotonica - revolved around abstract art styles and a kind of surreal sense of discovery, while this seems like a departure from that design. What inspired/influenced Wheels?

BTA

I also became really interested in checking it out after seeing it on GOTY lists, but when I realized it was still not fully released I decided to wait till then. I'm looking forward to it, in any case!

Actually, it's not called Hac anymore. Dev changed the name to Jalopy
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/01/05/jalopy-hac-road-trip-game/
Hm. Somewhat reminiscent of future GOTY My Summer Car.
I also became really interested in checking it out after seeing it on GOTY lists, but when I realized it was still not fully released I decided to wait till then. I'm looking forward to it, in any case!
Oh I'll be waiting too then. Playing unfinished games isn't for me.

Didn't know there were 3 paths for Angelo! Compiled them in a video.
You can get caught by the police, avoid the bank and get into a race with Jacky who's another race car driver, or escape the police which seems to get the ending which fits with Lella's journey to track down the "gecko" kidnapper.
Man, escaping the police was quite the satisfying feat!

It's kind of funny that when the topics run dry, it's just minutes of "...", "dum di dum", *cough* until a cutscene comes.
wheels_of_aurelia_umm_by_digi_matrix-d9nhbbk.gif

Cool to see Anna Kipnis, We Are Muesli (played their Cave Cave Deus Videt at EGX Rezzed last year), and Chris Remo in the credits.

3 more endings left now.

Actually, it's not called Hac anymore. Dev changed the name to Jalopy
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/01/05/jalopy-hac-road-trip-game/
Ah, thanks for the heads up!

hi! <3 thank you for making this thread, Iet me know if you have any questions about the game that I can answer!

Why is it considered a beta? Are there more conversation topics or hitchhikers left to be added? Is there something you get if you get all 10 endings?

My one niggle is when conversations are going and then Olga changes the topic on a dime. Is that due to there being a scripted event about to happen like an upcoming hitchhiker or a landmark? Or she just doesn't want to talk about it further? :p

Giant Bomb's GotY lists put this on my radar--now I'm just waiting for it to pop up on Steam before I bite the bullet. (Never used itch.io before.)

I guess there's still no ETA on the Steam release?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
The acrylic painted look is really beautiful. Any chance of an option for scaling the text up, dev?

Station42

I'm curious what drove you to make the game. Your previous works - Mirrormoon, Fotonica - revolved around abstract art styles and a kind of surreal sense of discovery, while this seems like a departure from that design. What inspired/influenced Wheels?

Hi! There is a lengthy interview we did with Gamasutra here: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/..._arcade_racer_Designing_Wheels_of_Aurelia.php

It covers the reasons we made WoA and more. To answer more specifically, I think we wanted to try a game that is about something specific this time. And of course something about our history.

In my mind there is a clear path from FOTONICA to WoA but I can see how it would look surprising form the outside! I think another reason is that we are a bit bored of games that are apolitical and not grounded in reality.

Only KB controls, no pad option?

Because that's a big no for me, then.

You can re-map the controls fully. They should work natively with a x360 controller.

Why is it considered a beta? Are there more conversation topics or hitchhikers left to be added? Is there something you get if you get all 10 endings?

My one niggle is when conversations are going and then Olga changes the topic on a dime. Is that due to there being a scripted event about to happen like an upcoming hitchhiker or a landmark? Or she just doesn't want to talk about it further? :p

Yes, definitely a beta. We are currently working on the 1.0 release. We are adding conversation topics, especially in the scenes that feel a bit empty or in those you'd play over and over to see all the endings.

There is an easter egg if you get all the endings :p

Yes sometimes your passenger will change conversation abruptly if something happens, like getting close to a monument, noticing a hitchhiker, or something that is related to the current action. People IRL do that all the time, but it's a bit weird to see in a game, any thoughts on how we could make it feel more natural?

I guess there's still no ETA on the Steam release?

Currently aiming confidently at Spring 2016.

I will be getting this game for sure, 1970s Italia ... Yes please! Awhile ago I had decided to learn Italian for my job, and have become quite fluent. Any chance there will be an Italian language offering? :)

Thank you! For sure, we want to ship with all EFIGS languages. The original writers will write the Italian translation.

The acrylic painted look is really beautiful. Any chance of an option for scaling the text up, dev?

I am actually working on this tomorrow!

Yes, definitely a beta. We are currently working on the 1.0 release. We are adding conversation topics, especially in the scenes that feel a bit empty or in those you'd play over and over to see all the endings.

There is an easter egg if you get all the endings :p

Yes sometimes your passenger will change conversation abruptly if something happens, like getting close to a monument, noticing a hitchhiker, or something that is related to the current action. People IRL do that all the time, but it's a bit weird to see in a game, any thoughts on how we could make it feel more natural?

Currently aiming confidently at Spring 2016.

Thank you! For sure, we want to ship with all EFIGS languages. The original writers will write the Italian translation.

I am actually working on this tomorrow!

Sweet, thanks for the responses!

You could still make the conversations change just like IRL but maybe a warning word like "...anyway,..." so it's not as abrupt? Sometimes a conversation was getting real good to uncovering something about Olga and I'd deliberately slow down to get all of it so maybe incentivise slower driving for longer conversations on the same topic. Or make it obvious that the other person doesn't want to talk about it further, so you get a "Let's change the topic" or "I don't want to talk about that".

Station42

Sweet, thanks for the responses!

You could still make the conversations change just like IRL but maybe a warning word like "...anyway,..." so it's not as abrupt? Sometimes a conversation was getting real good to uncovering something about Olga and I'd deliberately slow down to get all of it so maybe incentivise slower driving for longer conversations on the same topic. Or make it obvious that the other person doesn't want to talk about it further, so you get a "Let's change the topic" or "I don't want to talk about that".

Yes, that's a good idea. Unfortunately the dialogue system currently does not allow for a character to speak twice in a row nor it supports procedural generation of dialogue lines (such as appending "anyway..." at the beginning of a line).

I'll see what we can do! Thanks for the feedback!

Lime

Wheels of Aurelia, a story-driven racer set in tumultuous ‘70s Italy, announced for PS4: http://bit.ly/2cxbvuO

Wheels of Aurelia will launch on PS4 on 5th October. The full game soundtrack will be included, including four songs written, composed, and performed for the game in the style of Italian ’70s music (in the trailer you can hear the single “I Limoni” also available for streaming here)

29470377415_d017a85350_o.gif

I just did one quick playthrough and it is really, really neat

Though when I was done and saw the amount of different endings it was kind of daunting! It's a great concept, though, that is executed pretty fantastically

Station42

Bumping the thread to announce that:

- We are out on Steam (yay! http://store.steampowered.com/app/508740)

- We have a new launch trailer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ0jvh8uNEk)

- Soundtrack is out for streaming AND is included for free with the game (https://santaragione.bandcamp.com/album/wheels-of-aurelia-original-soundtrack)

- We are available here for any questions. If anyone feels like opening a new thread for the Steam release please do!

W6bZZBJ.gif

PS If you purchased the game before on Humble (including the Fantastic Arcade bundle) or Itch.io, the you'll find a Steam key in your library.

Does this game titke reference the famous road in Northern Italy?

My daughter is named for the Via Aurelia :)

Yes! That's exactly what it's named after. If you play through the game you will also find a reference to Aurelia and names that I'm sure you'll appreciate :D

I just did one quick playthrough and it is really, really neat

Though when I was done and saw the amount of different endings it was kind of daunting! It's a great concept, though, that is executed pretty fantastically

Thank you so much!

Skyrise

This just dropped on PS4. Thinking of checking it out, any news on how the port is?

Mauro from MixedBag here, we handled the porting / publishing on console of Wheels.

The game runs at 1080p / 60fps on PS4 and at native 4K on PS4 Pro.

The same for the Xbox One version that will come out a bit later.

We're very happy on how the port turned out! :)

just heard about this yesterday. This looks amazing. Music is outstanding in the trailer.

Titles is just great. Will buy on steam.

on free soundtrack amazing

aaah its also on PS4... hum.... no I want the soundtrack haha

Skyrise

just heard about this yesterday. This looks amazing. Music is outstanding in the trailer.

Titles is just great. Will buy on steam.

on free soundtrack amazing

aaah its also on PS4... hum.... no I want the soundtrack haha

The soundtrack is included also on the PS4 version. :)
You can download it from PSN with the game and copy to USB.

Fantastic, didn't realise it was releasing so soon. I'd heard great things about Wheels of Aurelia, will definitely pick it up!

Varth

Hi!

Really liked the way Uncharted 4 handles this. When you jump out of a vehicle mid conversation they have this very natural way of reconnecting to the script. Check it out if you didn't already.

Mauro from MixedBag here, we handled the porting / publishing on console of Wheels.

Oh, nice, will put it on the list for sure.

As OP said, 68-70s is a setting of capital importance for Italy. Basically it was the last time people had the chance to decide what it would be of the country. EVERYONE was part of the social and politic debate. And there was a debate on EVERYTHING, even to comic extent.

What you see in the news every day about Italy is ALL the results of those years, so Im pretty interested to see a game touch that setting.

Oh, aggiungetemi alla lista dei cecáti che vogliono font più grandi :)

oggob

I blind bought this because of 3 things...
The first was simply key art...
The second was that a Vita listing on PSNprofiles and it seemed perfect to play on te way to work.
The third was the price seems fair...

I agree that I should have looked into it more before buying an only did that after I tried to download it to the vita straight away, lol... (Whoops)!)

Which brings me to my question, I've seen the referenced tweet that the console versions are a priority and the Vita needs a lot of optimisation, but is there a rough date when it might be expected? This year? Next year?

Skyrise

I blind bought this because of 3 things...
The first was simply key art...
The second was that a Vita listing on PSNprofiles and it seemed perfect to play on te way to work.
The third was the price seems fair...

I agree that I should have looked into it more before buying an only did that after I tried to download it to the vita straight away, lol... (Whoops)!)

Which brings me to my question, I've seen the referenced tweet that the console versions are a priority and the Vita needs a lot of optimisation, but is there a rough date when it might be expected? This year? Next year?

Both console versions are done and we're in certification on Xbox One. On Vita the game runs but the framerate is very bad for now (hovering around 6-9 fps), it needs a lot of work to reach a playable 30fps.
We hope to make it by the end of the year.

oggob

Both console versions are done and we're in certification on Xbox One. On Vita the game runs but the framerate is very bad for now (hovering around 6-9 fps), it needs a lot of work to reach a playable 30fps.
We hope to make it by the end of the year.

That sounds fine, it would have jumped the queue of the back log right now, but if the target is before the end of the year, then the backlog can continue for a touch longer...

Thanks for a quick and transparent reply!

Well, this looks spectacular. I saw this thread in January but didn't think it'd actually be coming to consoles and - not only that - my favourite handheld console at the moment.

According to MixedBag's Twitter, they have a Vita version of the game running but it's at low framerate at the moment and needs optimization.

I'm definitely down if it releases there. Narrative-focused games have become my go-to genre on the handheld, and this one looks spectacular. If not, PS4 is a decent compromise :)

Awesome. I'll pick it up then.

Thank you very much for this awesome info. I am making a list of 4K native games on PS4 PRO: www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=219224705

Do you have any idea of the FPS targetted with PS4 PRO @2160p?

Top Bottom