• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When you see a spider

I'm usually pretty lax about spiders in the house, but if I see a brown recluse, that thing is getting SQUASHED. You don't mess with those things, they're highly venomous and aggressive.

Just two weeks ago my best friend's dad was hospitalized after a brown recluse bit him on the leg. It blew up like a balloon several days after and he was in excruciating pain. Took more than a week for the swelling to start going down and the doctor kept having to drain the spider's toxin from the leg. Those little bastard's bites pack a nasty punch.

andthebeatgoeson

Saw one hanging by a thread from the ceiling, at work this morning. Helped it down with a paper towel and let it go on it's way. They kill bugs. They are our bros

44de9966fca7afcdb6f767ca365eba8f.jpg

WarRock

A 2mm red spider was walking on my face last week, between the cheek bone and my right eye, while I waited for food at a restaurant.

Know what I did? Led it from my face to the table and let it go on its merry way.

wedca

I rescued a spider from the shower and set it loose in the corner of the bathroom. It set up shop and lived there for months. I watched nearly its entire life cycle in small time slices as I visited the bathroom: building a majestic web, patiently hunting, laying eggs, and finally the eggs hatching. Seeing the dozens of tiny baby spiders was really exciting!

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
There was a large white/off-white spider on my ceiling last night that my dog spotted and I went to kill it with some tissue and I thought I got him but when I pulled away it was alive and crawling towards me. I pulled back and it fell somewhere. I never found it. It might still be in my room right now.

Shadybiz

We have a mutually beneficial arrangement. They kill flies and other annoying bugs, so they can live. Flies are my sworn enemies, after all.

I will shoo them outside if I see them in the house, though.

If the spider is the size of a fucking dinner plate, then sure stomp it or chuck it out.

I'm not having some face hugger sized spider prancing around the living room. Fuck that noise. How do you people live like that?

Ogodei

If it's moving when i find it, it gets squished or chased off. If it seems to be chilling somewhere out of the way, then i'll let it lie.

I knocked down an old wooden shed over the weekend. I was loading up the pieces onto the truck when I felt something moving within my right leather glove, the gloves have a large opening so I took a peek inside and what do I see?... A fucking black widow!!! I immediately flicked the glove off and stomped on that bitch. I'm so lucky I didn't get bit.

Was driving home and I saw a spider on the outside of the windshield, so I ignored it. Then it crawled onto my sun visor. It was at that moment I realized it wasn't on the outside, then it dropped onto my chest as I was doing 70 on the highway. I let go of the wheel in a panic to murder this huge fucking spider.

nkarafo

Spiders look freaky but aren't they beneficial for humans? Since they eat bugs and other insects that could do more harm anyway? Like mosquitoes and stuff?

Obviously i'm not talking about those huge black and shiny Australian monsters that can pierce through your toenail.

Blizzard

Banned
Was driving home and I saw a spider on the outside of the windshield, so I ignored it. Then it crawled onto my sun visor. It was at that moment I realized it wasn't on the outside, then it dropped onto my chest as I was doing 70 on the highway. I let go of the wheel in a panic to murder this huge fucking spider.
On the chest? I would probably die of a heart attack OR a car accident. I'm glad you're okay. :(

StoneFox

Everyone who kills a spider on sight is just promoting spider hate crimes!

Unless you're being attacked by, I dunno, a phoneutria genus spider, then there's rarely anything to fear. They eat way worse bugs like mosquitoes and wasps. And mosquitoes have a much higher list of people they've killed over the years, the bastards.

Also on the bright side of getting bitten by a phoneutria, besides the intense pain and risk of death, it can give you an erection that will likely last longer than four hours. Spiderbro was just trying to help your sex life.

Tetra-9

I have a truce situation with the spiders in my abode. I allow them their prosperity until the point that they're dropping onto me or coming way too close. And then when the insects come on too strong then I patch things up. I have literally told people in my house "we're on "spider truce" lol

KaoteK

Spiders are awesome.

I say that as someone who got bitten by one that was hanging out in my wetsuit when I put it on (it hurt like fuck)

I also one had a massive wild tarantula in the palm of my hand when I was in Honduras, which I consider a bucket list tick.

Lucreto

Lucky spiders around my place are small but fast. I capture they and set them back outside a good distance from the house.

But my cat has other ideas.

'Daddy-long-legs'/cellar spiders are fine by me, they can crash at my place whenever they want. Anything else, particularly huntsmen can fuck off. I'm just thankful that the insect that kept waking me up one night tickling my legs (shut up) was a cockroach not a horrific spider. It was still a deeply pyschologically damaging incident.

I don't know where I'm going with this.

Spiderbros are cool, unless they're in very bad places like near my desk, food preparation areas, or toilet. Then I tend to get rid of them. Otherwise though, they're welcome to stay in my place. Them and their 1500 egg eggsacs.

Though luckily I live in a country without spiders that are harmful to humans, so I don't have to worry about brown recluses or black widows or what have you.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
In my bedroom, they are dead. Anywhere else, spiders are welcome in my house. Cool critters. I got a spider in a soap box and let it outside the other day. Shower? That's fine. Bedroom? No spiders. Don't come

red731

I study it, admire it, then take hard paper I can shuffle under glass trapping it and throw it out of window.

Kenai

I like most spiders (daddy long legs especially). Black widows, brown recluses, and those nightmares huntsman's things from Australia can f*ck right off, though.

When I was living in Japan for a year I was in the living room late one night watching a movie. The only light was the tv glow and me sitting there on a cushion watching. Out of the corner of my eye on the left something moved. It was big. I jumped up. I switched the room light on and then behind the tv up the wall this fucker climbed up. Was the size around of a dinner plate. I ran upstairs and grabbed some mosquito spray ran back down and sprayed it. It dropped to the hardwood floor and started skittering across the room. I'll never forget that sound. It was big enough that it made noise and I heard its feet hitting the floor as it ran across. thumpthumpthumpthumpthump. I grabbed a broom that was nearby and squashed that sonofabitch as hard as I could. And I left it there shut the movie off and went to bed. In the morning I went downstairs and it was gone. My hostmother had gotten rid of it. That was probably one of the scariest moments in my life. From what I could recall, eyeballing it, it was either a wolf spider or a brown recluse. That thing was the size around of a dinner plate. Fuck spiders forever.

Top Bottom