• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When you use consoles, do you sometimes feel frustrated by the lack of control?

DaciaJC

Gold Member
I don't feel frustrated by the lack of control sometimes, but rather all the time.

It's a major reason for me to only see consoles as a very last resort if I really want to play an exclusive.

Precisely.

I begrudgingly bought a PS4 because of Bloodborne, and that game is pretty much the only reason I continue to use the console. The great majority of my time is spent on PC, and I love the level of control on offer: graphics options, mods, input devices, etc.

Nah, I game on pretty much everything and I frankly sometimes just appreciate turning something on and just playing. In fact if anything I hate it when I get blocked by something simple like a game needing an update, like "goddamn it stop updating your game I just wanna play" which is a dumb thing to say but ... ya know.

For me visuals don't really mean that much, I don't give a shit about a game if its insanely great looking but boring as hell (for me). My basic rule is that I play on PC if its a game I'm going to play a lot of over many years (Overwatch, PUBG, Battlefield 1, Forza Horizon 3) or an old SP game that I never got around to. If its a brand new game that I'll play through once I'll buy physical on console, play it once or twice, then trade it in.

Stencil

Quite the opposite when it comes to control input. I like that games on consoles are tailored to one controller layout. It prevents me from gaming on my desktop, since I am too old to figure out which controller to to buy, how to set it up, etc.

I do admire PC gaming for their mods like you mentioned, OP. I think it's awesome there are communities that can figure exploits/edits out. I'd want that for consoles.

simmias

I am also not convinced that more options correlates to a worse user experience for the layman. Take every console game right now, add in options filled to the brim, and hide it behind an extra hard-to-get-to menu and absolutely nothing will be lost in your "simplicity" while serving users who actually care about tuning their experience somewhat. I don't even need anything crazy like mods on consoles but I'd like a lot more options than is currently standard in general.
There's a saying that was popularized by Voltaire (and probably dates back to before his time):

"The perfect is the enemy of the good."

I'm with Voltaire on this one.

bede-x

I'm frustrated every time I can't lower graphics enough to hit 60fps or at least buy better hardware that allows it. Pro/One X is a step in the right direction.

SigSig

Yeah, especially modding. I'm currently playing Splatoon 2 and I really, really, really want to build some maps.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
No i have not. Your just used to mouse and keyboard's way of controlling OP. For me who has never been interested in mouse and keyboard control, can't say that i have been unsatisfied about much outside of Nintendo's weird ass control schemes some times

Van Bur3n

I love having th control I do on PC. Especially when playing a Bethesda game where if an issue is to arise I can simply go into console commands and fix it and of course there is the beauty of mods (Xbox has them as well, but it's far more limitless on PC).

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I don't feel frustrated by the lack of control sometimes, but rather all the time.

It's a major reason for me to only see consoles as a very last resort if I really want to play an exclusive.

this. at minimum, a game must give me options for chosing resolution, framerate, graphics option to disable retard effects (like motion blur, DoF, CA), and the most important, input options. i want to play shooters with m&kb, games like Devil May Cry with dualshock, and racing games with wheel. but there are exceptions, like some Nintendo games...

Yeah sometimes, especially in shooters. Trying to snipe enemies that are far away can be annoying with a controller. Also shooting arrows in BotW was pretty bad with joy-cons but is perfectly fine with the pro controller.

laxu

Lack of controller configuration is my biggest issue with consoles. Your options on PS4 for example are that horrible global button remap or game-specific alternative layouts if the developer chooses to give those. Most of the time the alternatives are no better when all you wanted was to remap one button. On Nintendo Switch BotW the crouch button being mapped to the left stick is downright infuriating.

Lack of gyro assisted aiming console shooters is a big minus. I wish it was an option, those who don't like it don't have to use it. Gyro racing wheel as seen in Drive Club is also really fun to use and should be a standard option in every racing game.

I don't miss mods at all.
I actually find it irritating when there is mod support or extra content attached to web sites and additional accounts.
That just degrade the experience and reduce the immersion.
Not everything is a sandbox.

Yes, I feel you, OP, and that's why I do the overwhelming majority of my gaming on PC. I can game however I want on PC. The level of control I'm given over the particulars of my experience on PC is way more compelling to me than the simplicity of console gaming.

Gbraga

Not particularly, but this part does resonate with me:

For example, it is hard to accept that a new console can lock users from backing up their saves.

It's really stupid when a brand new console comes out and we have to wait for many new updates so we can have basic features we already had in previous consoles. On PC, I don't have to worry about Steam 2/Origin 2/Uplay 2 lacking Cloud Saves, Folders or whatever other basic feature, the unified nature of the platform makes it so it'll keep building up from what we already have, no matter how many times I upgrade my PC, and that's great.

emag

Only thing I miss is performance (adjusting settings is a small price to pay for a smooth 60+ FPS) and QoL mods.

Honestly, though, both of these concerns should be addressed during the development process in the first place. In short, I hate that mods are required to fix development mistakes but am thankful that they are available.

Tagyhag

The fact that you're stuck with extremely low FOV in some games is batshit insane.

I had to download an FOV fix in Borderlands 1 for PC because of how shitty it is. I couldn't even play it on 360 without getting a headache.

So imagine if the 360 was my only option? I'd be fucked.

I understand that not everyone gets dizzy or headaches with really low FOV. But I don't understand why someone would PREFER it over high FOV.

And I'm not talking about 110+ or whatever people feel makes it look fish-eyed. But 45 compared to 90 or around that area.

belmonkey

I sometimes feel like I have too much control on PC and sometimes get caught up with fiddling more than gaming. I occasionally miss the simplicity of consoles.

Melchiah

The fact I can't use supersampling on 1080p display is extremely annoying, eventhough it's apparently possible to force it with an external device. The same goes for the absence of certain mods, like the one that makes enemies unharmful in SOMA. Although, I dunno if there's actually anything preventing developers from making them available on consoles as well.

EDIT: Plus, let me map jump to anything else than L3. I'm looking at you Surge.

No i have not. Your just used to mouse and keyboard's way of controlling OP. For me who has never been interested in mouse and keyboard control, can't say that i have been unsatisfied about much outside of Nintendo's weird ass control schemes some times
That's nice. Try reading the OP next time though?

Yup, it's why I can never, ever get into consoles unless it's Nintendo. Even then, I cannot get into Splatoon because the controls sucks ass compared to a m/kb or pointer IR controls.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Nah I use to watch time go by without even actually playing just tinkering or some cases getting the damn game to work because something has changed since I last booted it or because Windows Explorer has updated something
On consoles it's running the best it can on it the game always works and is playing like the dev intended.
So no its less frustrating.

You are also at the whims of developers for console game controls, only there you usually don't have the option to rebind if it's a shitty standard config.

Not in the same sense. All of the buttons are generally used for something, you don't get someone remapping something to a weird button that you never use, or anything like that.

And you can hard-remap buttons on the PS4 at the OS level, if you really want to. So the option is usually present. But generally there's much more uniformity between layouts / games.

Gurnlei

Yes to most of your points OP, but more by the actual OS. I use two monitors for my PC and always have a web browser up along with my game. Using a laptop while gaming on a console isn't the same.

PC all the way. I can tweak for FPS if needed, mods, fixes, back up save data.

If it wasn't for exclusives, consoles would be utterly worthless to me. Open platforms for the win.

Crayon

I play on pc and console, Probably 50/50. I feel like consoles today have a shit ton of options. More would be cool, but on the other hand I'm not really wanting for more.

Widge

No, I just use it within its parameters and am fine with that. In fact, I'm quite a fan of consoles being quite pure. The less messing about, the better. I'm rather looking forward to my SNES mini - plug it in, GO.

Rizific

Pretty much my exact feelings. Every time I turn on one of my consoles, it's short comings become immediately evident. It's even worse when playing actual games. Why is my ps4 louder than than my pc which has a total of 9 fans? And i sit 3 feet away from my pc while I sit over 10 feet away from my ps4? All the while looking worse and at times getting 3x Less fps than my pc? Subscription fee to access multiplayer, in a game that I already paid for? LMFAO. Exclusive titles are the only reason I put up with that kind of shit. Sad.

Rathorial

Yeah, plenty of stuff annoys me about this gen of consoles because they're more plug and wait vs. plug and play, all while still being gated devices. I've had more trouble getting my Xbox One to work properly than my PC, and I use my PC far more.

Still, it's not a huge deal because I just have the consoles for exclusives, and pretty much nothing else. Switch needs a non-garbage voice chat headset solution though...requiring a smartphone app is so stupid.

Also, please console games let me turn off chromatic abberation, motion blur and depth of field like PC ports. All are garbage effects in 99% of games, and would even offer a slight performance improvement as well.

Nope, but I've always primarily played on consoles

The only thing I've ever felt like I'm missing is mods & even then there's only a handful of games I'd really want to use them in

aScaris

I'm probably just not good enough to implement a speed hack or higher-res ambient occlusion into my console games :,(

This made my day, thank you :D

On topic: I am a PC player by heart and use consoles as supplement for exclusives (which I thoroughly enjoy). However, everytime I play on consoles I feel like I lack a significant amount of control over the way I play a game. It's not like I mod every game I play, but the feeling of being unable to change anything about the way I play a game leaves a bad taste.

Top Bottom