• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When you've always gotten a forum abbreviation wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
So... This thread is a place to laugh at ourselves for our misunderstandings.

I'll go first.

I always read QFT as "quit fucking talking"

Today I realized in means "quoted for truth"

Just... Wow. Perception of people's responses were completely opposite of their intent.

Who else would like to share their own cautionary tale?

Edit:

GAF= Gaming Age Forum OR Good As Fuck (Usually the former on this forum for obvious reasons)

QFT= quoted for truth
LTTP= late to the party (Hey, I played an old game for the first time)
RTTP= return to the party (Hey, I'm replaying an old game I haven't played in a while)
JNC= Jack n coke (NFL GAF inside joke, apparently)
IQ= image quality
FAQ= frequently asked questions
FTFY= fixed that for you
PSA= public service announcement
ROFL= rolls on floor laughing
YMMV= your mileage may very
IIRC= if I remember/recall correctly
SMH= Shaking my head
SMDH= Shaking my damned head
FWIW= for what it's worth
LettersGAF= LGBTQIA+(Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans, Queer, Asexual, etc) GAF community
G/A/F= Germany/Australia/Florida guess which place this fucked up story came from.
OT= Off Topic OR Official Thread (depending on context)
GOAT= Game of all Time OR Greatest of all Time (depending on context)
GOTY= Game of the Year
IDK= I don't know
AFAIK= as far as I know
IKR?= I know, right?
/s= end sarcasm
IRL= in real life
TIL= today I learned
TF= the fuck
HFN= hell fuckin no
TF= ten four
NSFW= not safe for work
SFW= safe for work
OFC= of course
YW= you're welcome
IDGAF= I don't give a fuck
IANAL= I am not a lawyer
ITT= in this thread
HAM= hard as a motherfucker
ELI5= explain like I'm 5
FML= fuck my life
FTW= for the win
FOH= fuck outta here
FOV= field of view
FPS= First-person shooter OR Frames per second
WYSIWYG= (the weeseeweeg) What You See Is What You Get

IfritTower

Neo Member
For a while, I though LTTP only meant Link to the Past. Made a lot of threads on the gaming side incredibly confusing...

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
XnHee38.jpg

rainy_day

I always thought ATM meant
Ass to Mouth
I was always so confused as to why people used it.

I felt like an idiot when I realized.

Plum

WAIT, it's "Return to the party"?!

I always thought it was "Rate to the party"

This thread has opened my eyes.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I guess this is the time to ask as I see it all the time here, what is "jnc?"

jakncoke used to use the smiley emoticon all the time which was : lol

When the smiley emoticon was removed, instead of typing :lol people would type :jnc to replace it since he was so fond of it. Mostly an NFL thing that leaked to the rest of gaf.

Jakten

When I was younger I always thought FAQ was people saying Fuck You/Fuck. (Fah-Q)

When ever I skim passed WSJ (Wall Street Journal) I mistakenly read it as War Song Gulch

Also LoL used to mean Lot's of Love, I remember a time when that was true.

Back in the day I played InkLink on Shockwave. It was an online pictionary game and when people said "rofl" I thought they were saying "rolf", like the Ed Edd n Eddy character.

blamite

I just found out the meaning of :jnc a few days ago, before they I always thought it was some other emoticon I had never seen before.

Other than that, this isn't so much a forum one, but "fomo" really snuck up on me. Like the entire world just made it up and immediately knew what it meant but never told me.

mrkgoo

I'm usually pretty good if not it's worth asking.

But one I didn't get for a bit was smh (shaking my head). When it first started popping up I thought it literally was "smh" like a noise "smuh". Similar meaning, as in a sort of grunt of disapprovement.

Lol

One true pair I think.

What does IQ mean when it comes to visual quality? I see people say a game has "good IQ" or "poor IQ" sometimes.

image quality

FTFY

that shit has meant and will always mean fuck that, fuck you

so I thought I was seeing a bunch of real aggressive dickheads on GAF

Makai

I also thought it was Quit Fucking Talking and So Much Hate. But I figured it out years ago.

I think GOAT is Game Of All Time, similar to GOTY - Game Of The Year

PSA means Platonic Sonic Announcement

It means Ancient Aliens.

Back in the day I played InkLink on Shockwave. It was an online pictionary game and when people said "rofl" I thought they were saying "rolf", like the Ed Edd n Eddy character.

My first exposure to this one was from a user with a name that was actually Rofl. They would use it in conversation frequently. I basically thought he was signing his name at the end of a lot of his posts. When I saw other people using it I got confused.
That had to be like 15 years ago.

QFT? Never heard that one... but I guess i'm the last one to know these things. It took me a long to also figure out LTTP. AFAIK is probably the one that gave me the most trouble.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I didn't know what FTFY was for the longest time. Even now it takes me awhile to remember what it stands for. It just isn't something that sticks for me.

Violet_0

Banned
wait, so every time I replied to someone with a "qft" I didn't actually tell them to quit fucking talking? Man this is so akward now, it completely changes the meaning of my posts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom