• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When you've always gotten a forum abbreviation wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
So... This thread is a place to laugh at ourselves for our misunderstandings.

I'll got first.

I always read QFT as "quit fucking talking"

Today I realized in means "quoted for truth"

Just... Wow. Perception of people's responses were completely opposite of their intent.

Who else would like to share their own cautionary tale?

Edit:

QFT= quoted for truth
LTTP= late to the party
RTTP= return to the party
JNC= Jack n coke (NFL GAF inside joke, apparently)
IQ= image quality
FAQ= frequently asked questions
FTFY= fixed that for you
PSA= public service announcemeny
ROFL= rolls on floor laughing

Hahaha that's the one I was going to say. I remember getting that reply from some people and was scratching my head.

Plum

What is that even supposed to mean?

Even googleing it spits out this very thread already.

I thought RTTP threads might have been more review-like in style than LTTP threads and, seeing as Rate rhymes with Late I came to the conclusion that that was what they were called.

Quick

Banned
FTW = Fuck the world/what

That messed me up briefly before finding out what it meant.

jnc took me ages to get, not that it was anything particularly bothering me.

OT was easy enough to get when reading it in context, since it could mean two things here on GAF - Off-Topic or Official Thread.

I know for certain that I'm not the only one who thought that G/A/F meant... something else

I still have no idea what it means, something about Florida, I guess

One day I was drunk and bored so I started relentlessly making fun of someone on the Diablo 3 forum because he was complaining that it could have been GOAT, but it was not GOAT because it was not Diablo one or a MOBA or something.

Had no idea what GOAT meant so I kept linking him to reviews of goat simulator to counter his arguments.

I now know GOAT == game of the year. This thread was 2 years after Diablo 3 launched, so I'm still confused by it.

Matty77

I now know GOAT == game of the year. This thread was 2 years after Diablo 3 launched, so I'm still confused by it.
Probably because GOAT = Greatest of all Time, not game of the year.

As for me, I had to look up YMMV. Never thought it was something else just did not get it at all. Funny enough now that I know the meaning I use it quite a bit, one of my favorites, though not the GOAT.

Probably because GOAT = Greatest of all Time, not game of the year.

As for me, I had to look up YMMV. Never thought it was something else just did not get it at all. Funny enough now that I know the meaning I use it quite a bit, one of my favorites, though not the GOAT.

See I still can't get it right! :p

Dishwalla

Banned
I know for certain that I'm not the only one who thought that G/A/F meant... something else

I still have no idea what it means, something about Florida, I guess

It's Germany/Australia/Florida, and it refers to how many of the most fucked up news stories of the world come from those three places. It was a favorite game of Adam Carolla's for a long time.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
IDGAF

I thought it was a gaf only meme of "I don't (know) gaf"

It's a lot more harsh in reality (I don't give a fuck)

Krammy

For some reason, I can never remember that YMMV stands for Your Mileage May Very, but since it always comes up in deal threads, my brain keeps lurching to read it as You Must Move Fast, ignoring the V at completely.

When it started popping up, I always thought MFW meant My Fuckin' Word, to this day I'm still disappointed it's not that.

LTTP I didn't know for the longest time, and when I finally did figure it out, like many here, I continuously misread RTTP as Rate To The Party.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
For a while, I though LTTP only meant Link to the Past. Made a lot of threads on the gaming side incredibly confusing...

I did too when I first joined here. I was like wtf does Link to the Past have to do with these other games?

OP, you're wrong.

ROFL is short for
9ff.gif

WAIT, it's "Return to the party"?!

I always thought it was "Rate to the party"

This thread has opened my eyes.

Yes, as in, "I played this game before, a long time ago, but now I'm going back to try it again and these are my thoughts on the experience. Did my opinion of the game change?"

halfbeast

Banned
technically not an abbreviation, but when people referred to "lettersGAF" I thought, there's a community thread for people, who send themselves handwritten letters.

old

RTTP

By coincidence the first seven or eight times I saw it used was with old Japanese games. So I thought the R was a play on how they pronounce L's, and meant "LTTP" but specifically for older Japanese games.

I have since learned that that is not the case.

afaik, iirc, were my issues for awhile, but nowadays urban dictionary usually has my back unless it's brand new acronym.

WTH is "lettersGAF?"
LGBTQIA+(Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans, Queer, Asexual, etc)
As you can see, it's gotten quite long, hence the whole letters thing.

NysGAF

I came to GAF knowing OT as Original Trilogy. My first pass here I thought, "Wow, that's a lot of Star Wars threads."

Media

GOAT is greatest of all time. How could it be Game of the Year? That would be GOTY.

Edit: I still don't get MFW and cac. For the latter I think it's either Caucasian or slang for cuck?

I also thought RTTP was a tongue in cheek Japanese variant of LTTP. It was only when I saw a RTTP thread for Mass Effect that I stopped and thought, "wait".

My favorite has always been the abbreviation for "I Am Not A Lawyer" - because someone I once worked with sent out an email with that abbreviation company-wide and easily over 50% of the staff had no idea it was even an abbreviation.

Hilarity and HR violations ensued.

MIMIC

Banned
I never knew what "FTFY" meant. I either always wrote it out or just said "fixed".

This thread should be stickied, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom