• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where will the Nintendo Switch live in your TV unit / Setup?

PetrCobra

Somewhere next to my Gamecube, Wii, and Wii U, on a desk beside the table where my monitor stands. Playstation 2 is hidden under the desk. Still plenty of room up there.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Have a section on my living room shelves where my 3DS, vita and DS4s dock and charge. It'll probably go there

Ouroboros

The dock will be in the living room with an additional charging unit by my nightstand where I'll be doing most of my playing at night.

jax

Banned
Got a tablet stand for my bed frame. Plan on buying 2 Switch and an extra dock, one for each TV.

No room will go Switchless.

Living room in front of the TV (its high enough that it won't block the screen. If I ever decide to just buy the extra dock, that'll go into my ordinary room plugged to my monitor. I got a tablet bedside holder for night time gaming though lol.

Soroc

On top of my big sub woofer just to the left of my TV stand (where I keep the WII U gampad on its charging cradle) I'm just planning to remove/replace the Wii U as soon as I get the Switch.

Kirye

In the other room next to my Wii U and PS4. I have them set up with a 25 ft HDMI cable going into my room where my TV is on the wall. That way there's no extra clutter.

G0523

Probably next to or behind my Wii U GamePad. I still have trouble finding a place for that thing but if it's displayed standing up somewhere, then it's not as bad.

JCX

I finally unplugged my last gen consoles, so I will likely move Wii U to the bottom shelf and give Switch its spot.

LucidFlux

This is something I've been pondering the last couple of days.

Ideally I want to be able to dock/undock without having to move the dock every time. Depending on the amount of vertical clearance required I may be able to adjust the shelves in my tv stand to allow enough hight for this. Although I may have to tilt the dock anyway. Another option is on the floor next to the tv stand where my modem and router currently reside. I'd rather not have it sit behind the TV if I can help it.

Then again I may just end up rearranging my whole setup come 3/3.

Kindekuma

Banned
I have a TV stand in my room with a PS2/PS3/PS4, Wii, and Wii U. However it's starting to get cramped. So I might just take out the PS2 and Wii since they're starting to collect dust. I don't really know how much vertical space the dock will take and need to place in the Switch, but I might be able to just put the dock on top of the PS4 that's laying on it's side.

Mihos

Gold Member
In the media closet on the projector. Probably move the WiiU to the retro area. I don't expect to play it too much on the big screen honestly

RetroMG

Right now it's going to go on top of my tv stand, where my WiiU has been. My only problem is that I have a baby girl who is growing up at an alarming rate. Probably the Switch Tablet itself will live in my office once she's up and moving. I don't know, we'll have to see.

PsionBolt

It won't live in my TV setup, because I don't have a TV set up. It'll live on top of my dresser or bedside table, probably.

Madao

the only space i've got where i can put the Switch without redesigning my setup is where the Wii U is atm. i got no extra space atm.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I want to put it on a small wall rack sitting top right of the tv, but I'll have to figure out how the cables will work and if I can hide them first. We'll see.

Finally got to put some cable ducts on the wall, it doesn't actually look too bad.
The red star will be the new home of my Switch if everything works out - it still kinda depends on the cable thickness. I alread put a 2m HDMI cable in there and there's not much more room for the AC one.

Q2fvXTW.png

I wanted to stick it next to our TV on on top of the TV stand. Wife is angry about this. She wants to put it horizontally and I don't. I may have it on my desk and use my PC to record it.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
My dock will essentially be a charging station near my PC. Not sure how often I'd want it hooked up to the big screen.

NoKisum

I'm actually trying to figure this out now. Currently around my tv are the HDMI switcher, Kinect, and Wii U underneath, 360 to the right, and speaker towers to each far side. There's not much wiggle room. Cable box, PS3, & PS4 are in the shelves underneath.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Where my Wii U used to be. I moved some stuff around to put the Wii U one shelf lower, where it is covered by a door (Like the majority of my systems)

Will be in my room but I don't have that much space. I will probably replace my DirecTV receiver with it, since I don't watch much t.v. so it won't bother me much. That and my TV has only 3 HDMI port.

Kyuur

The dock will probably sit on the top shelf of a bookcase next to the TV. The only other real place to put it is on top of the TV stand, where it would obscure the TV.

Redd

Living room hooked up to the big tv. Eventually grab an extra dock when they drop in price for the bed room.

MDave

If I could get a long thing flexible HDMI cable, and run that along the floor under a rug or something, could keep the dock right next to wear I sit on the table plus I have easy access to the headphone jack on the Switch, and of course easy to dock and undock without walking over to the TV.

bumpkin

Up until last night, my TV was flanked by the Wii and Wii U. They're now down on the first shelf under the TV, clearing the perfect spot with ample vertical clearance to dock and undock the Switch. My NES Classic is keeping its spot warm.

SwitchGoesHere.jpg

Neoxon

I just made some space in the row of game systems in my media room for the Switch, right between the Wii U & the (small) cable box. I may put it in front of the TV instead for easy docking.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Up until last night, my TV was flanked by the Wii and Wii U. They're now down on the first shelf under the TV, clearing the perfect spot with ample vertical clearance to dock and undock the Switch. My NES Classic is keeping its spot warm.

SwitchGoesHere.jpg

What's that framed Zelda picture in the back and where did you get it?
edit right one I mean.

I have a shelf like the one below off to the side. I store controllers, headphones and other gaming gear in the drawers. On the shelf above the drawers, I have the Wii U Controller and a Logitech Harmony placed on there.

Here's an actual picture of my shelf and I've recently prewired an HDMI cable from my main setup to there. This seemed like a natural fit to sit next to the Wii U Controller and is easy access to grab and go.

bumpkin

What's that framed Zelda picture in the back and where did you get it?
edit right one I mean.
That was a Zelda anniversary print Nintendo had up as a reward on Club Nintendo some years back. It's the middle one in the picture of the set below. I still have the other two, though neither is framed or hanging up.

zelda_skyward_sword_posters_big_1.jpg

The poster on the left was a separate Club Nintendo reward, it's a Twilight Princess print from this set.

280px-Zelda_poster_big_1.jpg

I've been wondering that myself lately. I think it will have to go on the floor next to my tv..

The issue only brings up further questions in my mind.. why does the dock even have this design? Why the requirement of sliding the entire switch console into a hulk of vertical plastic that completely covers it? For that matter, why cant the Switch wirelessly transmit video like the Wii U did, is it the higher resolution?

Hopefully a more elegant dock solution is in the works for a revision 2 of the console to work in more confined spaces.

Skyzard

Banned
Like the WiiU I don't think I'll hook it up to a TV/monitor, I'll just keep the base near my bed for comfy browsing (by the time I get it) and gaming.

On top of my big sub woofer just to the left of my TV stand (where I keep the WII U gampad on its charging cradle) I'm just planning to remove/replace the Wii U as soon as I get the Switch.
I've been thinking about this and although it would be convenient to put it on top of my subwoofer, I'm afraid the vibrations would damage the system over time. I used to keep my Wii U gamepad on there but stopped because I was worried it would break.

I may buy a new shelf from IKEA or something for the switch; i currently have a tv stand with two racks underneath the tv, but I'm guessing the switch won't fit in that well there since they each have an overhanging shelf/surface. Putting it on top of the tv stand would obstruct the view of the tv.

For the first couple days I'll just keep it on the floor old school style and consider if I can remove my unused HTPC micro ATX system and put the switch in there.

Is it safe to keep it on top of a wireless subwoofer for a soundbar, or should I seek out a small table for next to the TV? I can make space on the unit shelves, but it wouldn't be easy to take out the dock.

Crayon

I'm actually trying to figure that out the last few days. I'll need an hdmi switcher and mae a little room here. It's go to be easy to get to. I was kind of thinking of using a long hdmi to place the dock somewhere farther from the tv, like on my dresser or something. Somehere where it will be more convenient to grab out of the dock.

Near my existing systems or just off to the side and behind my TV like when I'm charging the Wii U gamepad. Will mostly be using the system in the dock.

120v

funny ... i've never thought about it. come to think of it i'm not sure it even has a space between my ps4 and living room PC. maybe i can put it to the side of the tv or something.

i play portables in bed anyway so i may not even dock it to the tv at all

Soroc

I've been thinking about this and although it would be convenient to put it on top of my subwoofer, I'm afraid the vibrations would damage the system over time. I used to keep my Wii U gamepad on there but stopped because I was worried it would break.

I may buy a new shelf from IKEA or something for the switch; i currently have a tv stand with two racks underneath the tv, but I'm guessing the switch won't fit in that well there since they each have an overhanging shelf/surface. Putting it on top of the tv stand would obstruct the view of the tv.

For the first couple days I'll just keep it on the floor old school style and consider if I can remove my unused HTPC micro ATX system and put the switch in there.

Good point on the vibrations, I'll have to see how much the top of my sub vibrates on average. Thinking about it some more, I might actually just run an extra long HDMI cable to my receiver and actually put the dock on my side table next to the recliner (This is actually where my very dusty 3DS charges) that might work better also with the whole "proximity of the joycons to the dock for TV mode latency issues".

Renewed

I have two places for dock setup which are my room and the living room. My room is pretty easy to setup as I have a TV bench used for my consoles and games with an open space on top for my Switch. The monitor is connected to the monitor mount arm which is attached to my desk giving me some freedom with seating.

In the living room, the top rack is clear but the mounted TV is pretty close when I think about undocking the Switch. But all in all, I should be fine.

Top Bottom