• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which Game will sell more units Gears of War or Zelda?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NC360

Banned
Wii won't sell enough systems to make Zelda sell more copies than Gears of War. Now lets also consider that Xbox 360 has been out for a year already. So lets see what we have so far...

1) Wii fans love Zelda

2) 360 fans love Gears

3) 360 outsells Wii

Gears wins.

I don't plan to buy Gears, but it seems everyone else I know is going too. I'm a Rainbow Six kinda guy.

GhaleonEB

NC360 said:
Wii won't sell enough systems to make Zelda sell more copies than Gears of War. Now lets also consider that Xbox 360 has been out for a year already. So lets see what we have so far...

1) Wii fans love Zelda

2) 360 fans love Gears

3) 360 outsells Wii

Gears wins.

I don't plan to buy Gears, but it seems everyone else I know is going too. I'm a Rainbow Six kinda guy.
that's for the holiday. how about lifetime?

NC360 said:

1) Wii fans love Zelda

2) 360 fans love Gears

3) 360 outsells Wii

Gears wins.

The Wii will surpass the 360 in terms of hardware sold within 6 months to a year.

Possibly much sooner.

so whats the deal with wii on gamecube?

Still go = total?
Cancelled?
December 18th?
Limited Units?

My work tells me December 18th with 1 million across north america for gamecube

Whats the deal?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
_leech_ said:
Because it looks like a great game that a majority of people will like? Just a wild guess.

er...that proves NOTHING. Plenty of games that looked good and were fun to play weren't blockbusters. And it's a new IP as well.

Having said that, I don't think GoW will bomb by any means. Microsoft is gonna pimp it to the stratosphere. But I still feel it will sell 2 million LTD.

Anyone who doesn't think zelda will pwn this holiday season either is delusional or is EXTREMELY optimistic about the attach rate GoW will get. Zelda just has SO MUCH larger of a userbase to feed from, not to mention it's going to be THE launch title of a brand new console with large distribution.

WHOAguitarninja said:
Anyone who doesn't think zelda will pwn this holiday season either is delusional or is EXTREMELY optimistic about the attach rate GoW will get. Zelda just has SO MUCH larger of a userbase to feed from, not to mention it's going to be THE launch title of a brand new console with nearly simultaneous, global distribution.

Fixed:p

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
HAL_Laboratory said:
Laugh now, but I don't think you'll be laughing when it suddenly becomes a cultural phenomenon and outsells everything under the sun.

Just sayin'. :D
easy there tiger. don't be countin' yer chickens before they hatch.

GoW may outsell Zelda during the holidays due to installed units and the fact that MS is really, really pushing it out as the game every 360 owner should have

but yea, ineviatable Zelda will win in the long run, in the end who cares, they both will be great

Zelda. Because of Japan. Because it is a known licence. Because it is an incredible game that we wait since too much time. Because it comes both on Gamecube and Wii. And because it come alongside a launch. And launch titles sells.

jeremy1456

Yoboman said:
FFX was like swallowing a mace

For longtime FF fans it most certainly was, but for casuals, from the reactions I've seen, it was pure sex.

In the age of Grand Theft Auto III, The Wind Waker turned away casual gamers by the droves. Even for the most hardcore "Zelda can never do wrong" fans it was difficult.

Defcon

Banned
Both are going to sell well and make their respected owners very happy and that's all that matters, right?

Zelda will be the much better game and clearly sell more copies.

Adagio

BradVanDam said:
Which Game will sell more units Gears of War or Zelda? After listening to 1up yours it made wonder.

So I think Zelda wii + gamecube will get about 5 million

and Gears about 3 to 4 million or so

what do you guys think?
I don't really care. It's weird that you do.

NC360 said:

Wii.

boxst4.jpg

But hey -- you could be right...

NC360 said:

1) Wii fans love Zelda

2) 360 fans love Gears

3) 360 outsells Wii

Gears wins.

I disagree.

Dragmire

I don't know. Even Wind Waker, which turned off a lot of fans of the series, sold over two million in the US. No way will Twilight Princess sell less than that. No ****ing way. This year, maybe (how many units are shipping?) but after the first few months, I think it'll be well over a million units.

JoDark

MS Viral Marketing
How about....

I win because I will have both of these in the next 3 weeks.

This holiday ROCKS. Is that not all that matters?????

JoDark

MS Viral Marketing
And Hal, that video still gives me chills...

But is also a reminder that this was supposed to be a GC game release awhile ago...

But damn that's a cool vid. Hopefully flaming Gannon thingey from that vid is better than evar!

Oblivion

JoDark said:
How about....

I win because I will have both of these in the next 3 weeks.

This holiday ROCKS. Is that not all that matters?????

Subitai

This is a tough call. Out the gates Gears will definitely sell more, but after that Zelda probably has the edge if Wii sells at least as well as GC in terms of month to month after the holidays. Really depends how much of Halo's fanbase Gears can appeal to and how much Wii sells.

Anyone have the latest Wind Waker and Halo/Halo 2 sales handy?

You guys are kidding yourselves if you think Gears even has a chance of touching Zelda in sales.

Zelda is a launch title and will most likely have a 1:1 attach ratio for every console sold (perhaps upwards of 90% of the Wii userbase will have Zelda in the launch window). It is rated T for Teen and is the flagship title for the launch window.

Gears is a super violent 3rd person shooter (an M-rated one at that) on a console that is nearly double the price.

While I'm not saying that Gears won't sell well, the demographics are completely different. Zelda has more universal appeal (parents, kids, teens, adults, etc). Gears caters to the 360 userbase perfectly - a userbase that is yet to see it's first big hit. Will Gears be that title? I don't think so. I think Halo 3 is the only title that can pull those numbers and perhaps, to a lesser degree, Fable.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Cold-Steel said:
You guys are kidding yourselves if you think Gears even has a chance of touching Zelda in sales.

Zelda is a launch title and will most likely have a 1:1 attach ratio for every console sold (perhaps upwards of 90% of the Wii userbase will have Zelda in the launch window). It is rated T for Teen and is the flagship title for the launch window.

Gears is a super violent 3rd person shooter (an M-rated one at that) on a console that is nearly double the price.

While I'm not saying that Gears won't sell well, the demographics are completely different. Zelda has more universal appeal (parents, kids, teens, adults, etc). Gears caters to the 360 userbase perfectly - a userbase that is yet to see it's first big hit. Will Gears be that title? I don't think so. I think Halo 3 is the only title that can pull those numbers and perhaps, to a lesser degree, Fable.

I've already mentioned that Zelda will do better, but I don't think the ratings will play too much of a role in sales. GTA and Halo were also rated mature.

BorkBork said:
I've already mentioned that Zelda will do better, but I don't think the ratings will play too much of a role in sales. GTA and Halo were also rated mature.

GTA and Halo were both nowhere near as violent as Gears of War.

Gears of War reaches (if not exceeds) Soldier of Fortune levels. Sometimes that can be seen as a negative factor towards sales.

As for me, I'm all for it.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
HAL_Laboratory said:
Yeah. Everyone at Nintendo's E3 2004 press conference was an Ntard.

Every single one.
not every single one embarrassed themselves. they're the ones you can't hear over the noise of the ntards.

Scrow said:
not every single one embarrassed themselves.

You're right, but a good 3/4 did. And I'm sure that in that 3/4 portion, there were some people that weren't Ntards.

It's just a point I'm making. There is major excitement surrounding this title, whether you're and fanboy or not. I think TP's excitement, worldwide, exceeds Gears' by leaps and bounds.

Oblivion

Scrow said:
not every single one embarrassed themselves. they're the ones you can't hear over the noise of the ntards.

HOW DARE THEY BE EXCITED OVER A GAME THEY LOVE!

fusoya59

Yoboman said:
FFX was like swallowing a mace
:lol :lol
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Zelda. Because of Japan. Because it is a known licence. Because it is an incredible game that we wait since too much time. Because it comes both on Gamecube and Wii. And because it come alongside a launch. And launch titles sells.

i concur! i'd also add to that list the kerrrayzee gamers out there who are willing to buy BOTH versions. oh, YOU know who you are. :D

Cold-Steel said:

Agree. And don't forget that in Japan gears will sell almost zero in comparison to the rest of the world. Zelda in contrast, will sure pass the million mark.

MegaTen

Banned
dai said:
wait a tic. you don't read your own posts? lolz

anyway, gears will easily outsell zelda.
You don't deserve that Chu Chu Rocket avatar. Zelda will outsell GoW in the long run. It's a fact. I've looked in my crystal ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom