• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which Game will sell more units Gears of War or Zelda?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This probably won't go over well with some people here, but I also imagine that Gears of War won't outsell Zelda in North America.

Gears just doesn't try anything new. Halo and GTA, both M-rated games, offered gamers an entirely new perspective on gameplay.

For Halo, no other shooter before it offered such freedom, cunning AI, and vehicle combat. For GTA, the freedom to do anything you want (to be quite frank, it's pretty difficult to list the features GTA offers because there were so many).

Gears, on the other hand, can be best described by a preview I read on it the other day - Gears doesn't do anything that current games haven't already done, it simply takes the elements that make these games great and refines them into a cohesive gorgeous package that is sure to win many gamers over.

The same could have been said of Zelda, however, that was before the game got ported to Wii. Now there's a new control scheme and once again - demographics matter.

It's Saints Row all over again IMO.

Zelda. It's the game everyone that basically is getting when they buy a Wii at or near launch. And that goes for the US, Japan and Europe.

wow. dejavu. this is like game cube all over again with the expectations. i think zelda has just a good a chance as gears but this thread is eerily similar to every major gamecube release thread back a few years ago. :lol

nightez

Banned
Gears of Wars is being marketed more heavily than Zelda. There are people that dont even know theres a Zelda game coming out.

Yoboman said:
Everybody in this threead will buy Zelda. You can't say the same for Gears
everyone who buys a wii for the most part will buy zelda. it's the WHEN that's the clincher. i for one have decided to opt out on a wii at launch. :(

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
GER: Easy win for Zelda
you know why, bitches.

Zelda.

Xbox 360 has basicly zero presence in JApan.

Zelda will see well in every territory, its coming out on two platforms, a hot new system and an old platform with a larger userbase than Xbox 360 by 3-4 times.

Gears will sell 2-4 million Zelda will sell 4-8 million.

i bet my 2 cents for Gears of War. i really doubt Zelda will sell more copies than Gears of War, obviously i'm talking about the american and european markets (even the australian one), GoW won't sell good enough in Japan.. as usual..

Short term could be gears thanks to a bigger install base... but Zelda is definately the game most people will pick up with Wii. Longer term, I'm not sure.

Why do we do this btw? RE4 Vs MGS3, Halo Vs Metroid, we've done this before.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
I think Gears of Wars and Zelda will be in a tie throught december. After the Xmans I expect a little advantadge for GEars, but on Summer Wii will be rolling thunder and Zelda will be over 4 millions.

Gears over 3 millions on summer me I think.

jimbo

Banned
NA and Europe - Probably Gears of War.

Worldwide- Probably Zelda.

But then again, the GOW hype seems to be ramping up if that's even possible. It's deffinitely bigger at this point than the original Halo when the Xbox launch. I would say with all the extremely positive gameplay impressions to go along with all this hype GOW could become the next phenomenon like Halo, but the M rating may keep that from happening. Wasn't Halo rated T?

chase

Oooo I just can't wait! I'm rubbing my hands together here in the real world and daydreaming of numbers.

Angelcurio

SolidSnakex said:
Zelda. It's the game everyone that basically is getting when they buy a Wii at or near launch. And that goes for the US, Japan and Europe.
And the reason why a couple of us still havent sold our gamecubes.

Well initially, Gears will sell alot more just due to the fact that the 360 has a much greater install base than the Wii.

If your talking lifetime though it depends on two things:

The quality of Gears of War as a game
The success/failure of the Wii

Confidence Man said:
Gears. I'll bet most people who buy a Wii won't even buy a game with it.

<insert PS2 launch comment here>

They are just buying it to be a cheap DVD player!

:lol

Seeing as how the system and games are cheaper, they may buy several games.

pr0cs

Yoboman said:
Everybody in this threead will buy Zelda. You can't say the same for Gears

you're mistaken.

That being said Zelda will sell more copies due to multiplatform and the fact the majority of the Wii launch titles are pretty crappy (ala "slim pickings" comment)

Gears of War will undoubtably sell alot this christmas if Microsoft continues to hype it up.
But I have serious doubts that it will come close to Zelda, who will be the king of the hill this year

Hunter D

I think gears will sell more copies. It is being advertised more than zelda and lots of people have played gears already, the game has good word of mouth.

Hunter D said:
I think gears will sell more copies. It is being advertised more than zelda and lots of people have played gears already, the game has good word of mouth.

You honestly think Zelda doesn't have good word of mouth?

Hunter D

Pureauthor said:
You honestly think Zelda doesn't have good word of mouth?
Like gears? No. MS has been holding public events for gears the last couple of months. I don't remember nintendo doing the same thing with zelda.

DyTonic

Banned
NC360 said:
Wii won't sell enough systems to make Zelda sell more copies than Gears of War. Now lets also consider that Xbox 360 has been out for a year already. So lets see what we have so far...

1) Wii fans love Zelda

2) 360 fans love Gears

3) 360 outsells Wii

Gears wins.

I don't plan to buy Gears, but it seems everyone else I know is going too. I'm a Rainbow Six kinda guy.

Just becaused you tempted me to.

Zelda>Gears>Rainbow Six

Fan base=sold

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom