• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which Game will sell more units Gears of War or Zelda?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I think both stand to sell upwards of 2 million by the end of the year. Zelda will win because of the boost the GC version will provide. I predicted Gears at 2.1m and Zelda at 2.4 mil in another thread.

I really don't think those that are saying "Gears won't have legs" are correct. I can see it being another Halo 1, selling well enough that they don't even have to reprice/put a Platinum Hits version out until the inevitable sequel is near in about two years. It'll be the game to buy for new 360 owners until Halo 3 comes out, at least, and probably the second game to buy when it does.

after seeing how many people were at my local gamestop last night i don't know what to think. 40 people at least, 1/2 walk ins and the game isn't even really out til today. this was also the gamestop with by far the least traffic out of 4 in my immediate area.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
yeah, i i've never seen a crowd like that for a game. i mail-ordered halo 2, so i couldn't tell you about that.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
4 million Wii's are supposed to ship by the end of the year, and I expect that many Wii Zelda's to be sold also if that many consoles are sold. And maybe also ~1million GC versions. I expect it to be a killer app for Wii. So that's a total of ~4-5million by January.

GOW looks good, but I don't see it as being a very hyped Killer App, which is simply something that attracts more people to buy the system, as much as maybe Halo 3 might be.

Oblivion is the best selling 360 title correct, at ~2million? I expect GOW to sell around ~2million too.

So, IMO, Zelda sales more than GOW

DeathNote said:
4 million Wii's are supposed to ship by the end of the year, and I expect that many Wii Zelda's to be sold also if that many consoles are sold. And maybe also ~1million GC versions. I expect it to be a killer app for Wii. So that's a total of ~4-5million by January.

GOW looks good, but I don't see it as being a very hyped Killer App, which is simply something that attracts more people to buy the system, as much as maybe Halo 3 might be.

Oblivion is the best selling 360 title correct, at ~2million? I expect GOW to sell around ~2million too.

So, IMO, Zelda sales more than GOW

Lol

I too think that Zelda will sell more in the end, but to expect that there will be a zelda for each Wii....:lol I find that rediculous.

Zelda will sell like 2 million tops on the wii + ~2 million on the Cube. Gow will maybe reach the 3 million mark next year.

And your numbers are all wrong.

no way zelda is gonna sell 1:1. this isn't link to the past or 1991. that audience has grown up and moved on. yes there are some of us still around and even some new zelda fans but one for every system? :lol

Dude Gears is going to be for America like Dragon Quest is for Japan. Trust me this game will shift paradigms and everything. Expect everyone you know without an Xbox3 to buy one for this game.

Dahbomb

I think I need to archive this thread for my own personal gain so I can make an official "eat crow" thread. :lol

Ulairi

Banned
Rud13inJapan said:
Dude Gears is going to be for America like Dragon Quest is for Japan. Trust me this game will shift paradigms and everything. Expect everyone you know without an Xbox3 to buy one for this game.

You're joking, right?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Merovingian said:
Lol

I too think that Zelda will sell more in the end, but to expect that there will be a zelda for each Wii....:lol I find that rediculous.

Zelda will sell like 2 million tops on the wii + ~2 million on the Cube. Gow will maybe reach the 3 million mark next year.

And your numbers are all wrong.
Actually, It's been reported numerous times on 4million Wii's by the end of this year. So I'm not wrong on that number. And it's very safe to assume 4-5 Million will be sold between Wii and GC, a large # more for Wii by Jan.

What other numbers are there? The only other number I said was "And about ~2million Oblivions sold?" I didn't say it as a fact, I said it as a question with a estimation. The only reports I have seen have put them at that around that # sold.

Thanks.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
MobiusPigeon said:
no way zelda is gonna sell 1:1. this isn't link to the past or 1991. that audience has grown up and moved on. yes there are some of us still around and even some new zelda fans but one for every system? :lol

What the hell are you talking about? LttP? Ocarina holds the record with like 3 million more units than LttP.

Zelda will sell pretty close to 1:1 with the Wii, simply because it figures to be the best title for the system for quite some time. I would say at least until Mario Galaxy ships, Zelda would have to remain as the "must have" title as soon as you get a Wii.

GoW will also sell a lot. So they'll both sell a ton of copies.

Tellaerin

Twilight Princess is going to outsell Gears when all's said and done - that's pretty much a given. However, I do think Gears is going to be a breakout hit, and that we're witnessing the birth of a highly successful new franchise.

WARCOCK

Banned
_leech_ said:
Because it looks like a great game that a majority of people will like? Just a wild guess.

I honestly dont know how far that can take you in terms of sales. Of course its a factor but i mean when games like Madden,gta and pokemon sell ****tons you have to wonder how far the perceived ground breaking awesomeness that hardcore gamer take into account will push a game. Plus the game dosent seem incredibly intuitive and simple. I think the game will sell well but not as well as most people think. I for one am trying to expose my "mainstream" 360 owning friends to it as much as i can :p, so i get to abuse their consoles and not pay for one of my own!

thekad

Banned
neojubei said:
All nintendo has to do is play the classic Zelda theme in the store during launch day and Zelda is a sure bet to be sold out and out selling gears of whatever.

I think I will buy 2 copies just to spite gears of war.

a 2 bit newbie game like gears

It's almost like you get more pathetic with every post.

I'm going to have to say Gears of War...simply because shooter games are infidently more popular over here in the U.S. then Action RPGs are. I mean, look at the sales rate for Halo and Halo 2...and it shadows most other games (duh).

Oblivion

GAZERK said:
I'm going to have to say Gears of War...simply because shooter games are infidently more popular over here in the U.S. then Action RPGs are. I mean, look at the sales rate for Halo and Halo 2...and it shadows most other games (duh).

Good point, except for the fac that GoW isn't entitled Halo...

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
PapiShasho said:
Gears is easily gonna outsell Zelda in NA. EASILY.

dont think so.... gow is nice n all.....but we r talkin abaout ZELDA.....

Cubsfan23 said:
If Zelda can sell 3 million in the U.S. then it will outsell Gears.

Doubt it will happen.

Isn't Nintendo shipping 2.2 million Wiis to NA alone this Christmas? Those should sell out, even if it takes a little past Christmas to get there.

But just about everyone of those early Wii adopters is going to buy Zelda. There isn't actually a lot of competetion either. Nintendo delayed Metroid Prime 3 and didn't sneak Super Paper Mario onto the Wii for xmas. Smash Bros. Brawl and Mario Galaxy certainly are not in the launch window. Zelda is sitting pretty as the big fish in a small pond until the Wii library expands next year.

The 3rd party stuff is decent, but it's pretty unlikely someone will buy say Red Steel and walk out of the store with no Zelda. I see pretty much most of the first 2.5 million Wiis in NA selling with Zelda. The fact that it's probably Nintendo's best console game since ... maybe the N64-era, probably doesn't hurt either.

DSN2K said:
Zelda will become biggest selling Next Gen game until Halo 3 or GTA hits.

Yup. This is the first mature, hardcore, lengthy, challenging, series defining Zelda since OOT (even MM can be seen as a late-gen spinoff), and that sold what? 3.5 million?

I think Zelda will be huge.

Mau ®

Probably Zelda. With Nintendo shipping like 4 million Wii before years end I believe Zelda will be the game to buy with the Wii so...

Both will sell amazing though, that shouldn't even be a question.

Why do we all assume GOW will be 360's best selling game? It is all the talk on sites like these, but I havn't heard it spoken of once with my friends or in the general public. Not once.

How do we know something stupid like Need for Speed Carbon or Rainbow Six won't outsell it? Hell, maybe even the new Splinter Cell.

rage1973

underfooter said:
Why do we all assume GOW will be 360's best selling game? It is all the talk on sites like these, but I havn't heard it spoken of once with my friends or in the general public. Not once.

How do we know something stupid like Need for Speed Carbon or Rainbow Six won't outsell it? Hell, maybe even the new Splinter Cell.
I don't know it could be the over a hundred people lining up at local EB to get their preorder copy of GoW.

inthezone said:
Probably Zelda. With Nintendo shipping like 4 million Wii before years end I believe Zelda will be the game to buy with the Wii so...

Both will sell amazing though, that shouldn't even be a question.

Remember what retailers have said. They expect a near :1 ratio with Zelda being bought with just about every Wii system. 4 million consoles, even half of that would mean about 2 million Twilight Princesses being sold

Defcon

Banned
I understand there is a lot of love for Gears on these boards, but don't kid yourself. Zelda WILL out sell Gears both worldwide and in the US.

KINGMOKU

Cubsfan23 said:
If Zelda can sell 3 million in the U.S. then it will outsell Gears.

Doubt it will happen.
I have stayed out of this thread becuase on the surface it seems like a good place for mind-numbing arguing.

Wind Waker sold 2.5million copies in the States on the Gamecube. You honestly dont think TP will outsell it?

Unless GOW hits Halo status, Zelda will outsell it. I think TP has a good chance at beating OOT's 4million mark.

I think the Wii zleda sales will be very close to 1:1. Its THE Launch game, nothing else at launch even comes close. If there was a mario game, I could understand the sales being split, but zelda is going to MOVE those Wii's

Oblivion

I am a bit worried about Zelda, though. Could be that some people might have felt burned after playing WW. MGS3 sold less than MGS2, and a lot of people think 3 was the better game, so I dunno.

Oblivion said:
I am a bit worried about Zelda, though. Could be that some people might have felt burned after playing WW. MGS3 sold less than MGS2, and a lot of people think 3 was the better game, so I dunno.

Why? There's many more people excited about Twilight Princess who never cared about Wind Waker. What's became obvious is just how many Zelda fans never picked up the game suggesting that many "new" Zelda players(like young teens) bought Wind Waker, not the traditional fanbase.

Oblivion

gamergirly said:
Why? There's many more people excited about Twilight Princess who never cared about Wind Waker. What's became obvious is just how many Zelda fans never picked up the game suggesting that many "new" Zelda players(like young teens) bought Wind Waker, not the traditional fanbase.

Ah, good point. Nm then.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Isnt GoW a bit too violent and scary to be a big halo-size super hit?

I mean, its not cartoony like GTA, or kind of nice and bright like Halo. Its Aliens rolled in with Terminator and Predator with horrible enemies etc.

Its not going to reach the same mass market appeal, its going to appeal to the hardcore 18+ crowd and even then only a group of them.

Zelda is appealing to a bigger market in terms of geography and demography. It also stands a good chance of getting rave reviews everywhere and going down as the best game ever in a similar way OoT did.

at least in theory.

Oblivion said:

MGS3 was also released against HALO 2 and GTASA which didn't exactly help it. With Zelda and the Wii, its the star of the show on that platform.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I get a kick how everyone's anecdotal evidence always seems to fall in line with their own opinion. It's quite the phenomenon.

ronito

Gears of War will have a hard time beating Zelda once the Wii really takes off. If it were just the remainer of this year I'd say it has a chance of beating Zelda in NA, but in the long run no. I mean OoT sold something like 3 million copies just US (according to NPD Square's posts if I recall correctly) and many people view GoW as JASMG (just another space marine game).

Subitai

So, now that GoW has been out a few days has anyone changed their mind?

In the long run, I think Zelda will have the wider appeal since I'm guessing 7 year olds aren't gonna be able to get away with Gears on the TV the way they could with Halo and GTA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom