• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which Game will sell more units Gears of War or Zelda?

Status
Not open for further replies.

D.Lo

Yoboman said:
FFXII is already at 2.3 million in Japan, I doubt Gears will even meet that. FFFXII will probably match FFX sales (8 million), it'll be interesting to see if two platforms and being a launch game will be able to make TP sell that... WW only sold ~4 million
Wind Waker sold 4.5 million, but if you add back in all the 'OMG teh kiddie' chimps who skipped Wind Waker, then it could get back up to Ocarina's 8 million.

castle007 said:
you are SO awesome

to save you trouble: "OMG everyone who said that Zelda will seel more than Gears of War just got owned. lol"

/thread

lock
Not really. GoW had a week on it, plus Zelda is capped out for each time period as to how many Wiis get sold in that time period, no?

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Does Gears of War have an 87% attach rate? I don't think so.

castle007

Banned
CajoleJuice said:
Someone's bitter.

I am not bitter. The couldn't sell more than GOW in the first place, unless Nintendo shipped more than 1 million consoles on day one. In that case Zelda would have definitely sold more than GOW.

and don't forget about the 87%

Beezy

castle007 said:
you are SO awesome

to save you trouble: "OMG everyone who said that Zelda will seel more than Gears of War just got owned. lol"

/thread

lock

Well there are less Wii's available. There's no way that Zelda was gonna sell more than GoW in November.

Cubsfan23

Banned
castle007 said:
you are SO awesome

/thread

lock

not really, zelda cube isn't out yet. Still some interesting quotes in this thread though :D

castle007 said:
I am not bitter. The couldn't sell more than GOW in the first place, unless Nintendo shipped more than 1 million consoles on day one. In that case Zelda would have definitely sold more than GOW.

But Wii sold one million consoles worldwide. :)

It baffles me that people don't realize that NA is Zelda-land and always has been since the NES days. NA sales of Zelda lap Japan over and over and over and over and over... it's probably 70-80% of the Zelda market, and Europe is bigger than Japan for Zelda too.

Gahiggidy said:

Is the Zelda attach rate going to stay ANYWHERE NEAR 87%?

NO :lol

It is the only reason to buy a Wii, at least if you've deluded yourself into believing waggle is acceptable... period, but especially in ****ing Zelda.

arab

My Arms Your Hearse said:

It is the only reason to buy a Wii, at least if you've deluded yourself into believing waggle is acceptable... period, but especially in ****ing Zelda.

What a tool.

I reckon in a year from now, Zelda Wii + GC will be ahead of GoW. I was gonna say "well ahead", but why dig a hole, eh? It is a really good game, its Zelda, and a launch game. And maybe become Players Choice etc etc.

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
castle007 said:

Aaaa, check your logic. It is possible for zelda to outsell if Gears didn't sell a million copies. About half as much.

Duderz

Banned
Duderz said:
I really, really doubt GoW stands much of a chance against Zelda.

I'm much more interested in how FFXII will do against it.

Looks like I've got some crow to eat here, since Gears spanked Zelda and outsold FFXII.

Though, I still stand by my expectation that lifetime Zelda sales > lifetime Gears sales.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp

you are seriously annoying.

Actually, FFXII may very well have outdone Gears, as Sonycowboy indicated the 850k didn't include the CE editions. We already know that it is going to blow it away if you figure in worldwide totals.

Gahiggidy said:

Call of Duty 2 had a 77% attach rate last year. I think it's pretty safe to say that if the X360 would've launched with Gears of War, or more appropriately for this comparison since Gears is an original IP, Halo 3, the attach rate would be as high as Zelda, if not higher.

Actually, FFXII may very well have outdone Gears, as Sonycowboy indicated the 850k didn't include the CE editions. We already know that it is going to blow it away if you figure in worldwide totals.

CE was only in EB/Gamestop so there's no way it's 150k since the majority of people probably bought the regular edition and EB/Gamestop is around 20% of the market.

Log4Girlz

Mario and Zelda are traditionally life long sellers. Meaning, for the entirety of the consoles life those titles tend to sell, sure hugely at first and far less later one...but it goes on. Zelda will beat GOW's sales.

Log4Girlz said:
Mario and Zelda are traditionally life long sellers. Meaning, for the entirety of the consoles life those titles tend to sell, sure hugely at first and far less later one...but it goes on. Zelda will beat GOW's sales.

Of course it will in the long run. Gears will have better legs than most X360 titles, but not Zelda legs since there is still so much demand for the Wii.

I think the better comparison is Halo 3, where you have an established IP on a new platform. I'll go ahead and start it a year in advance:

Halo 3 will outsell Zelda:TP

And I'll bet a week-long ban on it.

Not to mention what did we see all week long when the Wii launched.

"I have Zelda TP, cant wait to get my Wii"

Lots of Zelda/Nintendo fans ran out and bought Zelda as soon as they could even if they didnt have a Wii yet.

Maybe we will see after December if this balances out at all. That is if NPD number leak somehow.

Pellham

Banned
mmlemay said:
Of course it will in the long run. Gears will have better legs than most X360 titles, but not Zelda legs since there is still so much demand for the Wii.

I think the better comparison is Halo 3, where you have an established IP on a new platform. I'll go ahead and start it a year in advance:

Halo 3 will outsell Zelda:TP

And I'll bet a week-long ban on it.

dont be a wuss, bet a 3 month ban on it!

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
castle007 said:
In other words, why do you assume there is no way Gears wouldn't get the sales it did. What if the game was mediocre? Zelda would have certainly outsold it even with its small userbase.

Pellham said:
dont be a wuss, bet a 3 month ban on it!

I can't handle that long of a withdrawal IF I'm wrong, which I won't be :)

Plus, it might take Halo 3 a little while to catch up to Zelda, but I promise you that it will.

castle007

Banned
ralexand said:
In other words, why do you assume there is no way Gears wouldn't get the sales it did. What if the game was mediocre? Zelda would have certainly outsold it even with its small userbase.

I think you are the one who should check his logic :lol

Everyone knew that the game was in no way mediocre and also the hype around it was high.

greatness + hype= lots of copies sold

lexi

Banned
ciroslive said:
Why again do we care which sells more copies?

Geeks are insecure and want validation.

As a sub element of that, people like to make themselves feel better by completely shunning anything new or original within this industry, cause they're too xtreme hardcore.

Zynx

How well will GC Zelda be distributed? Is Nintendo going to support it with any marketing (no? Focus on Wii?) I think these two things will have a major impact on short term sales of Zelda. In the long run though, Zelda Wii will have lots of legs, probably more than Gears. Nintendo back catalogue historically continues to sell relatively well even two or more years after release...look at Smash Brothers Melee.

andthebeatgoeson

Oh guys, stop the spin. GOW sold great. As did Zelda. But GOW sold great in any fashion. It beat Zelda, for now. BTW, GOW is still not bigger than Halo which is not bigger than Gran Turismo, which wants to be like Mario.

*runs*

jarrod said:
For lifetime sales, I'm betting....

GTA4 > Mario Galaxy > Halo 3 > Zelda TP > Gears > MGS4

:D

I'm not sure if Mario will sell more than Halo and Zelda, but MGS4 is DEFINITELY in the right place.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
mmlemay said:
I'm not sure if Mario will sell more than Halo and Zelda, but MGS4 is DEFINITELY in the right place.

Mario has ALWAYS sold more than Zelda.

I'm worried how many copies of the GC version of Zelda Nintendo may print out.

Spike

Oblivion said:
I'm worried how many copies of the GC version of Zelda Nintendo may print out.

I wouldn't worry. The Wal-Marts, EB's, Best Buys, Zellers and Future Shop stores around my area have huge posters with the GC version release date of 12/13 printed on them. There will be enough to go around.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Spike said:
I wouldn't worry. The Wal-Marts, EB's, Best Buys, Zellers and Future Shop stores around my area have huge posters with the GC version release date of 12/13 printed on them. There will be enough to go around.

Nice! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom