• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which games captured the feeling of what it's like to fly?

Spacejaws

No mention of Flower?

3.jpeg

I thought it did it fairly well.

Piichan

Banned
Perfected flying with a bike at least.
propcycleqopbm.jpg
Holy crap, what a blast from the past! Totally forgot this game existed, but your picture brought back memories of playing this in an arcade at a family vacation resort when I was a small kid. I was blown away by that game.

GooeyHeat

I gotta say that once you get the hang of the Wii version of Rodea the Sky Soldier, it's really something special. It's so simple, so unique, and so quick.

The wing flapping mechanic in Gat Out of Hell was probably my favorite part of that entire game.

Just Cause 3 wingsuit is amazing when you're flying just a few feet over the ground.

Superman Returns.

Game is...eh...I started playing it a few months ago to clear backlog and rack up some achievements, but the ridiculous collectathon missions are a major slog and I struggled to keep going after a few hours. I actually used the ol rubber-band trick on the controller to get a flight time achievement. Lol That's when I put the game down. I wouldn't call it "shit" but the bad most definitely outweighs the good.

That said, the flight mechanics are great and really the only reason to bother playing. The main problem is it essentially feels unfinished, like a proof of concept. They crafted a sublime flight model and constructed a skeleton of an empty open world with 2 or 3 very basic mission types, incredibly dumb pedestrians, repetitive robot enemies, tacked on a handful of boss encounters and that's it. Maybe they wanted to do more but the publisher said "Fuck it, get this thing out the door to time it with the movie."

Anywho, if u can get it for $10 or so I'd recommend it just to check out the flying model.. I'm kinda surprised it hasn't been built upon in another game. That part at least is really good.

tbd

Well, when you get your skell in Xenoblade and fly for the first time.

Definitely one of the strongest moments ever in a game, helps a lot this track is so incredible (until it gets annoying a few hours later).

flyingd1sdd.png

OVER THE RAINBOW, OVER something, something.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
City of Heroes.

Also, jumping off a tall building had the balls-in-stomach simulator going for it too.

yep. definitely. maybe it's because it was doing flying before just about anyone else in mmos, but it alwyas felt so good and felt so next-level.

wmlk

I don't think any of the games listed here give the sensation of being suspended in the air or falling from above the clouds. Everything here feels arcade-y and gamey.

It would probably be a VR game or something.

The VR game about birds.

Yep.

the feeling of what it's like to fly

you can speak based on own experience, like having done skydiving.

Does flying as a passenger in a plane count?

If so, I choose any game that lets me watch a movie in-game.

Noogy

In the decades I've been playing games nothing has satisfied like Just Cause 3. I just love the sense of speed while flying near terrain, and every maneuver feels earned and satisfying.

Edit: This assumes human flight, not animal/vehicle assisted.

Top Bottom