• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which is the best Final Fantasy movie?

Favorite Final Fantasy Movie

• Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

Votes: 19 26.8%
  • Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children

Votes: 29 40.8%
  • Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV

Votes: 11 15.5%
  • Thor 2: The Dark World

Votes: 12 16.9%

• Total voters

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I recently re-watched all of these movies and was wondering which one GAF thought was the best.

The Spirits Within:
91d0hQnYKnL._SL1500_.jpg

The Spirits Within was goofy as shit and didn't really have much to do with Final Fantasy outside of them just going for a bit of name recognition and some general overtones that were shared with a few of the games. It's basically the movie that famously made Square lose their shirts. Considered by some to be a cult classic, but personally I consider it garbage.

final-fantasy-the-spirits-within-at-15-a-potentially-prophetic-folly-of-a-video-game-movie-222-body-image-1467891167-size_1000.jpg

Final_Fantasy_Spirits_Within_024_900x507_758_427_81_s.jpg

Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children
Final_Fantasy_Advent_Children_600x.png

AKA "the movie that makes absolutely no sense, even if you've played Final Fantasy VII". The real problem with this movie is that they decided to introduce so many new characters into the franchise and then have the movie focus almost exclusively on people nobody cared about. Reno and Rude stole the show, in my opinion.

final-fantasy-advent-children-splash.jpg

ff7-advent-children.jpg

Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV
5498302_sa.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550

Hey guys - let's make a Final Fantasy XV prequel that has almost nothing to do with the characters you play in the game itself. Cool? Cool. The inclusion of the all-star cast in this film was an interesting choice, especially since Sean Bean and Lena Headey's characters are just about the only two characters in this movie that matter to the XV universe, and they do not play those same characters in the game. It's a 2 hour long movie whose plot is easily explained in about 4 minutes of cutscenes in the game. The animation is top notch though.

kingsglaive-final-fantasy-xv-1.jpg

1*XT5h7nbxe8mKNx0xA4VAsA.jpeg

So GAF - what do you think? Objectively, which of these travesties is the best?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Advent Children and nothing comes close. And yes I watched them all
Gotta say that I absolutely agree with you. The overarching message of "fighting for your family" and "don't be too proud to ask for help from the people close to you" resonated with me a lot more than the whole "save the planet from dying" that Spirits Within had or the "sacrifice yourself for the greater good" message that Kingsglaive was going for.

Also the Sephiroth and Bahamut fight sequences were really cool.

stranno

Spirits Within is my favourite, by far. It was absolutely groundbreaking back in the day. Of course it was much more expensive but just compare it with Resident Evil: Degeneration, published 7 years later.

Who needs drop pods when you have the slime pods?

lPBH2Uq.gif

Not a big fan of the Advent Fanservice movie but this moment was sooooo cool.

PoQ3tmb.gif

Here in Spain, Thor 2 reads as tordos, which means poops, so ... yeah.

Last edited:

Fbh

tenor.gif

I guess Kingsglaive? It was pretty bad but it looked nice and sort of got me interested in the world of FFXV and looking forward to what they were going to do with the game.
Sadly, as average as the movie was it still ended up having a better and more complete story, better writing and more character development than the game.

I don't remember much of Spirit Within other than not liking it. And Advent Children looked nice and had some cool fights but it had the abysmal storytelling and writing of everything Nomura is involved with.

Last edited:

Carna

Banned
I feel that, Spirits Within is a somewhat forgetible, but nice little sci-fi flick. With a cool setting that could be implemented into a mainline final fantasy game.

Pejo

AC ruined Cloud for me, Spirits Within was just bad (sorry Gooch). I guess I didn't hate Kingsglaive, so that's my pick. Plus Nyx was pretty cool.

mcz117chief

Spirit Within is pretty decent flick. I watched it numerous times. Kingsglaive is pretty good too. I did vote Spirit Within since I was major league impressed with it when it came out.

I don't think any of these are good movies. But I do feel that Spirits Within feels like an actual Movie - so that gets my vote. AC is just some fan service, and also for me signals a point where Square really stopped creating new and boundry pushing things, and started just looking into it's backlog for items to make money off of.
Kingsglaive I also found to not really be a movie, just a side story that tied into the game, and also made the overall story of the game make (a little) more sense, but really the whole thing is just blah.

Myths

They’re all terrible, but I’d rather rewatch AC than the others. Could be that AC was a movie I used to watch so many times and I was attached to when younger.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Anyone who says Spirits Within is not a Final Fantasy fan nor are they a movie fan. Spirits Within is STRAIGHT GARBAGE.

It was directed and written by Sakaguchi who is the ultimate authority on Final Fantasy.

Furthermore it has motherfucking Alec Baldwin, Steve Buscemi, James Woods, Donald Sutherland, Keith David, and Ving Rhames. It had incredible animation for its time.

Advent Children is anime bullshit that undermines the original FF7, much like Dirge, Genesis, Angeal, e.t.c.

Thabass

It was directed and written by Sakaguchi who is the ultimate authority on Final Fantasy.

Furthermore it has motherfucking Alec Baldwin, Steve Buscemi, James Woods, Donald Sutherland, Keith David, and Ving Rhames. It had incredible animation for its time.

Advent Children is anime bullshit that undermines the original FF7, much like Dirge, Genesis, Angeal, e.t.c.

Don't care, it had none of the charm of the games nor was it written well. Get that trash out of here.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Gotta say that I absolutely agree with you. The overarching message of "fighting for your family" and "don't be too proud to ask for help from the people close to you" resonated with me a lot more than the whole "save the planet from dying" that Spirits Within had or the "sacrifice yourself for the greater good" message that Kingsglaive was going for.

Also the Sephiroth and Bahamut fight sequences were really cool.
Yeah I'm sick and tired of the same niche shit in all those movies. That's why Advent Children were special among them all

Sephiroth in general was wicked in the movie. And to see all that CG quality in a movie from 2005 was something mind-blowing!

Fbh

Kingsglaive I also found to not really be a movie, just a side story that tied into the game, and also made the overall story of the game make (a little) more sense, but really the whole thing is just blah.

To be honest the game felt more like a sidestory to what Kingsglaive was setting up. In Kingsglaive you get the whole thing with the two nations and the invasion and the crystal and Luna and the ring.

...... and then the game is the bros going camping, taking pictures and riding chocobos as the plot set up by the movie unfolds off screen.

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
I recently re-watched all of these movies and was wondering which one GAF thought was the best.

The Spirits Within:
91d0hQnYKnL._SL1500_.jpg

The Spirits Within was goofy as shit and didn't really have much to do with Final Fantasy outside of them just going for a bit of name recognition and some general overtones that were shared with a few of the games. It's basically the movie that famously made Square lose their shirts. Considered by some to be a cult classic, but personally I consider it garbage.

final-fantasy-the-spirits-within-at-15-a-potentially-prophetic-folly-of-a-video-game-movie-222-body-image-1467891167-size_1000.jpg

Final_Fantasy_Spirits_Within_024_900x507_758_427_81_s.jpg

Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children
Final_Fantasy_Advent_Children_600x.png

AKA "the movie that makes absolutely no sense, even if you've played Final Fantasy VII". The real problem with this movie is that they decided to introduce so many new characters into the franchise and then have the movie focus almost exclusively on people nobody cared about. Reno and Rude stole the show, in my opinion.

final-fantasy-advent-children-splash.jpg

ff7-advent-children.jpg

Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV
5498302_sa.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550

Hey guys - let's make a Final Fantasy XV prequel that has almost nothing to do with the characters you play in the game itself. Cool? Cool. The inclusion of the all-star cast in this film was an interesting choice, especially since Sean Bean and Lena Headey's characters are just about the only two characters in this movie that matter to the XV universe, and they do not play those same characters in the game. It's a 2 hour long movie whose plot is easily explained in about 4 minutes of cutscenes in the game. The animation is top notch though.

kingsglaive-final-fantasy-xv-1.jpg

1*XT5h7nbxe8mKNx0xA4VAsA.jpeg

So GAF - what do you think? Objectively, which of these travesties is the best?

My personal favorite is Kingsglaive.
Especially when Diamond Weapon enters the scene.
(and for the CG quality is objective the best of the three)
But Advent Children and The Spirit Within are also good, for one reason or another.

ExpandKong

Banned
Advent Children. They're all terrible so flashy fighty fanservice takes the vote. Though Spirits Within gets points for James Woods.

TacosNSalsa

Kingsglaive for me . Advent Children was fine but I'm not a big FFVII fan so these characters dont mean that much to me . Spirits Within was ...something . Other than having a character named Cid , I have no idea how it's even considered a FF property

royox

Kingslaive. I consider it the real FFXV. The "thing" we got as a game in pre.alpha state did no justice to the movie. Nyx forever.

NahaNago

They are all pretty terrible. Spirits within just felt like a sci fi movie with the Final Fantasy name attached to it. I like sci fi movies generally so I enjoyed it. Advent Children was just plain fan service so I liked it. I stopped watching halfway through that Kingsglaive movie. It was just soo boring. I'll probably go back and finish it this month.

Top Bottom