• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which is your favorite game and do you think it will ever get dethroned?

brawly

Let me start

Dark-Souls-1-05.png

It wasn't the first Souls I played (that was Demon's), but it was the first one that I completed and I have played through it a dozen times since. It's the first game that ever made me really think to myself "this is my favorite game of all time". Plus it got me into the whole series while DeS failed to do so.

Do I think it will ever be dethroned? Two sequels, one step-sequel and a feudal cousin* later, I don't think so, honestly. It is hard for me to imagine a game to ever change my view of gaming that much. I certainly don't think it can be a game of the same nature.

Your turn.

Dark Souls 2+3, Bloodborne, Nioh

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Final Fantasy VII - never
Demon's Souls - never

Bayonetta 1
Maybe

I will always love Bayonetta, but it's less than 10 years old and I have a feeling the best is yet to come for gaming's future.

kromeo

Not for me, my favourite games list would be dominated by stuff I played as a kid/teen and I don't think it's possible for that to change, I'm just too cynical now.

FFVIII specifically is my favourite game

zenspider

Nostalgia is really powerful so I just "retire" bests after a while to make room for more current and modern era games.

Ferr986

I dunno if it even be dehtroned, I mean, I've been playing since the Master System era and my fav game after all those years is a 360-PS3 game, so you may never know.

As for the pick, it's Dark Souls.

ViolentP

World of Warcraft. Not just for the game alone, but the circumstances of my one and only playthrough I am confident will never be replicated.

Lime

Mechwarrior 2 / Silent Hill 2 / Homeworld and no, such games won't ever exist in today's market conditions.

Kuroh

Neo Member
Jet Set Radio Future will probably never be dethroned unless SEGA makes the perfect sequel.

Pls release JSRF on PC pls

Santiako

My favourite is also Dark Souls, but it can be dethroned since it dethroned Morrowind which dethroned System Shock 2 which dethroned A Link to the Past, which dethroned Mario which dethroned Atari Boxing.

hotcyder

But there's plenty of games better than Dark Souls OP - in fact you mentioned one of them in your post.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 is my favourite Mario game but I have a feeling that Odyssey will bump it come next week.

Thud

Yoshi's Island

I'll never say it won't happen, but my top 10 games has been the same for at least 5 years and even within that list Yoshi's Island is a whole different beast.

Dragon Quest 8.

Probably not! Everything in it clicked with me the first time I played it. I'm in a different place now where I don't think I can relate to a game the same way now.

Persona 5 was absolutely lovely, but when it was done, it was done for me.

Brizzo24

Haha. Pick one? Can't. I have a hard time coming up with a top ten. After playing so many varieties, and experiencing a vast number of memorable moments, I can't pick feasibly select a favorite.

BY2K

Membero Americo
A Link to the Past.

And it would take Breath of the Wild with better dungeons and bosses to dethrone it.

NotLiquid

Depending on what day you ask me, my favorite game of all time is either Killer7 or Viewtiful Joe.

In the case of the former, if anything were to dethrone that, it would have to be the kind of game to completely challenge my preconceptions of what games are able to do as a medium. That game changed the way I looked at games, and I'm not sure if there'll be a game like it anytime soon after it completely blew the lid up. Just about anything else will be hard to surprise me after playing that game.

In the case of the latter... I doubt it. The game has too much personal value to me, and probably taught me the most about myself and the reason why I love games.

Having said that, I very much entertain the notion of any game coming out that can penetrate my Top 5 of all time. Breath of the Wild this year made a strong case for itself.

zsynqx

The Last of Us

Doubtful. Even if the sequel greatly improves upon the mechanics and manages to tell an amazing story, I doubt it'll have the same impact as the first game.

Kill3r7

Probably I find myself constantly changing my mind as I have grown older.

Current favorite game: Halo.

It really should be Destiny. I have spent more time playing that game than any other game ever.

Surfside

Banned
The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind

I love games with open worlds and Morrowind had the best one yet. All these years since it released and i haven't played anther game with a world as believeable as Morrowinds.

I kinda have given up the hope that there will ever be a game again, that has such fantastic worldbuilding.
Don't get me wrong there are other games out there with amazing worlds. Just not on the same level as Morrowinds.

18-Volt

Super Mario 3 and I don't think anything could surpass it. Super Mario World has tried but failed. The ones that come after wasn't even close, especially "New" series.

BiggNife

Mine is Super Mario World, and I doubt it will ever be dethroned because the reason I love it so much is because it was the first game that left a massive impression on me as a kid and showed me what video games could do. That's the sort of thing that really only happens once.

brawly

Resident evil 4

fuck no, RE4 is the ONLY flawless game i have ever played

Shitty endboss
RE4 is my 4th favorite game

But there's plenty of games better than Dark Souls OP - in fact you mentioned one of them in your post.

DS1 absolutely had time on its side. If I had played DS3 or BB beforehand I have no doubt it would be different now. But alas there's only that one first Souls completion.

Zukkoyaki

Mine is Red Dead Redemption and I can see something surpassing it but I wouldn't expect that, not even the sequel. It's difficult to top the magic of your first experience with a series or genre.

Top Bottom