• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which is your favorite game and do you think it will ever get dethroned?

Elephant

Neo Member
FF9 and no I don't think anything will dethrone it in my eyes.

These things usually hold too much emotional and nostalgic value in order to change. Games will come along that are better, give you an overall better experience, but nothing can replace that feeling you get from playing your favourite game.

sublimit

Banned
I didn't get super far in it. I got to the main city and did a few quests.
I might not have found a vocation I liked.
I played Assassin and Fighter and really didn't enjoy either. Fighter was too slow and Assassin I found it was just button mashing.

Sorry for the late reply but yeah you stopped way too early in the game. As you progress you'll be finding more interesting enemies and dungeons that will push you to use strategies and certain skills skillfuly so i think the game gets more and more interesting as it progresses and as weird as this sounds it really starts to shine after the credits roll. ;) certain enemies like goblins and bandits will become easier though but even then there;s something satisfying about killing those enemies in style! :) The expansion area will also push you to your limits.

I think it was too early to appreciate Assassin's range of skills and as for Fighter yes it's a bit slow vocation but it has this dashing skill (that has relatively small stamina penalty) that you can abuse and cover big distances VERY quickly.I also love the weight of its animations!

But yeah i don't know,in the end it all depends on what you like in a game.For me (and many others) what i love most about DD is that feeling of being on a quest with a group of adventurers that will never behave exactly as you planned,the whole Pawn system which is one of the most unique online systems ever made,the realistic sense of place and atmosphere in the environments,the incredible skill animations,the more grounded but still stylized art direction in terms of environments/costumes/armor/weapon and creature designs, and most of all its incredible combat which along with Nioh and the Souls games is one of the best and most satisfying combat in ARPGs for me (it's very different from those games though).

Final Fantasy IX.

Unsure it'll be dethroned, on the one hand a game like Persona 5 has come close but on the other many studios are adopting practices such as piecemeal dlc, microtransactions, yearly iterations, broad audience targeting etc which damage the quality of games. I feel as a whole the industry in the late 90s and early 00s were filled with artists attempting to create masterpieces within the medium while in the modern day the focus is much more on businesses attempting to maximise profit while avoiding the necessary risks required to make something great.

c1d

FF7 - first love, so no
Trails in the Sky FC+SC - great ride coupled with fortunate time in life where I could enjoy it, so unlikely
BOTW - sense of wonder I haven't got elsewhere (yet), so maybe

Otheradam

Mine is Final Fantasy Tactics and I don't think that will ever change. Dark Souls and ocarina come close though. Too bad srpgs aren't more popular. It's my favorite genre.

The Legend of Zelda : The Wind Waker

This game holds a special place for me . A came at the right time for me around my preteen years.It had a sense of wonder and adventure to me .People complain it was too easy but it was just right for me since i hadn't too long started playing games before then .
Now i think Breath of the wild is the better game and i would put it on my top 10 of all time(at number 2) but nothing can dethrone Wind waker for me ,which is ok though.

appaws

Banned
Twilight Princess.

Hard to imagine. I've never had a better time with a game, or been more sucked into a world by one.

Resident Evil 4.

I mean so games since have given their best efforts to (Uncharted 2, The Evil Within, Bloodborne) so I’d like to think that eventually I’ll b able to play a game I can comfortably say “Holy shit, yes this game is better than Resident Evil 4”. But 12 years on it still hasn’t happened so who knows how much longer it will take.

FStubbs

Dragon Quest 8 is my favorite of all time. Played through it in less than weeks even.

It hasn't been dethroned yet but it's easily possible when I consider my favorite games:

1 - Dragon Quest 8
2 - Trails in the Sky FC/SC (I consider these two to be one game)
3 - Dragon Quest 7 3DS
4 - Dragon Quest 5 DS
5 - Dragon Quest 9 DS
6 - Dragon Quest 3 SNES
7 - Dragon Quest 4 DS
8 - Suikoden 5
9 - Dragon Quest 6 DS
10 - Dragon Quest 2 Android

I'm clearly a huge fan of Dragon Quest so if 11 passes 8 it will take the top spot. The curious thing is despite the dominance of Dragon Quest, that Trails in the Sky managed to get so high. The Trails of Cold Steel games are in my back log and the Crossbell games exist so they could potentially dethrone Dragon Quest 8 as well.

Or some game from left field. I'd hate to think I'd never again play a game I'd enjoy more than Dragon Quest 8.

(Suikoden 5 broke in there too but lol Konami)

Gurish

The Last of Us

Doubtful. Even if the sequel greatly improves upon the mechanics and manages to tell an amazing story, I doubt it'll have the same impact as the first game.

Yup. I expect an amazing game and I hope it will be a worthy sequel but it's not gonna top the first one, it just won't have the same impact.

Melchiah

Soul Reaver. No I don't think anything will replace it at this point

Same here.
it's a contextual thing ...what soul reaver did at the time it did it.
It was WOW after WOW. this has never happened as much after it.

Agreed, although Bloodborne offered a somewhat similar experience for me with its mysterious and derelict world, that slowly unravelled its secrets.

GTA Vice City. Probably not.

I was born in the 70's and Miami Vice happens to be my favorite show of all time, so the atmosphere for that game is pretty much perfect to me. The soundtrack is incredible and the talk radio is so much better than in any other GTA game. Maurice Chavez is amazing. Dont' even care about the wonky controls. Nothing has come close to that game for me. From recent games Last of Us is right up there as well.

Neku89

For me it was Final Fantasy VI -> Chrono Trigger -> The World Ends With You. Of course I hope it will get dethroned at some point, but seeing the current gaming trends...

Other games which came pretty close to be included on the list: Assassin's Creed 4 (loved it, but at the end the Assassins gameplay portions brought it down), Persona 4 Golden (a bit too long and at the end the day-by-day structure is a bit boring, but a wonderful game nonetheless), Zelda BOTW (came in with absolutely no expectations since from trailers and reports I thought it wasn't my cup of tea, but then I spent nearly 200 hours on it. Dragged down by the absence of real dungeons). Other honorable mentions: Final Fantasy VIII (my first proper JRPG, I love it even with all its flaws) and Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix on Critical (if you could just skip the random enemies and focus only on bosses...).

DrD

World of Warcraft

Don't think it'll ever get topped for me. It was a combination of it being the right game at the right time with the right community and friends. Doubt I'll ever put this much time into a game ever again. It's also something I can't really replay since the same experience can't be replicated.

My next few favorite games are Ninja Gaiden Black, Metal Gear Solid 2, Deus Ex, and Max Payne. I can see Cyberpunk 2077 making it somewhere among these if it lives up to my expectations.

I think if you're keeping yourself in the mindset that only another game that's just like your favorite "but better" would be the only thing that would dethrone it, you're definitely making it impossible to happen. Nothing's gonna replicate that one specific feeling you had as a kid or a teenager with a game that was doing one very specific thing that you experienced under very specific circumstances in your life.

I've changed my favorite from Final Fantasy Tactics to Metal Gear Solid 2 to Resident Evil 4 to The Last of Us. Only the last two have similarities to how they play, and the things I love about RE4 are way different from the things I love about TLOU.

I also think it's such a cynical view on the art form that is very much at its infancy relative to every other major medium. When I read people posting about how this one game from the 90's/early 00's that they played as a kid is the pinnacle of its genre and never going to be topped, it sounds to me like a person in the 1920's who just saw their first "talkie" say "nothing's gonna be better than this".

I understand that what someone's "favorite" is is purely subjective, and personal feelings are deeply tied into how that opinion is formed, and no manner of filtering it through a grander perspective should be the determining factor into changing one's mind about what they love the most.

Still though, that second question makes me put everything else regarding video games and their growth as a medium into consideration. I'm just 28 years old, and even though I've been playing games since I was 8, I'd like to think we haven't seen nothing yet with what games can truly do. I see myself still playing games when I'm 58, and I can't even imagine what they'll look like then.

It would be fucking tragic if The Last of Us would still be my favorite game then.

But hey maybe some people here don't see themselves playing games past 40!

Wireframe

FF8

No because it's so entrenched in my youth I can't get that same joy as an adult (nostalgia), I don't have the time, we learn everything online about games months before the games are released now.

I will say persona 4 came pretty damn close, hadn't had anything spoiled and was blown away.

Airola

La-Mulana

I hope La-Mulana 2 will dethrone it but we'll see.
I doubt any other game will be able to do that.

MouldyK

Shenmue and Shenmue 2 for Dreamcast.
I don’t think any game even tries to emulate what I loved about those games.

It’s this or Halo Combat Evolved (The Campaign). Those games were probably the highlight of 2000-2002 for me.

I ain’t played Shenmue since I got an Xbox and my brother got rid of the Dreamcast...but that game changed me.

And as someone in a Halo thread said this week: You just get that “Halo Itch” and even the 343i blunders can’t ruin that for me.

Hoping someone can top either of those games...but I’ve lost hope.

In terms of Multiplayer? Mario Kart 8 or Halo 5’s Warzone. I may not play them much...but I love them!

Melchiah

I think if you're keeping yourself in the mindset that only another game that's just like your favorite "but better" would be the only thing that would dethrone it, you're definitely making it impossible to happen. Nothing's gonna replicate that one specific feeling you had as a kid or a teenager with a game that was doing one very specific thing that you experienced under very specific circumstances in your life.

I've changed my favorite from Final Fantasy Tactics to Metal Gear Solid 2 to Resident Evil 4 to The Last of Us. Only the last two have similarities to how they play, and the things I love about RE4 are way different from the things I love about TLOU.

I also think it's such a cynical view on the art form that is very much at its infancy relative to every other major medium. When I read people posting about how this one game from the 90's/early 00's that they played as a kid is the pinnacle of its genre and never going to be topped, it sounds to me like a person in the 1920's who just saw their first "talkie" say "nothing's gonna be better than this".

I understand that what someone's "favorite" is is purely subjective, and personal feelings are deeply tied into how that opinion is formed, and no manner of filtering it through a grander perspective should be the determining factor into changing one's mind about what they love the most.

Still though, that second question makes me put everything else regarding video games and their growth as a medium into consideration. I'm just 28 years old, and even though I've been playing games since I was 8, I'd like to think we haven't seen nothing yet with what games can truly do. I see myself still playing games when I'm 58, and I can't even imagine what they'll look like then.

It would be fucking tragic if The Last of Us would still be my favorite game then.

But hey maybe some people here don't see themselves playing games past 40!

I'm 42, and I'm playing more games and enjoying the hobby more than I did in my teen years. Eventhough Silent Hill 2, a game released in 2001, is still my all-time favorite, and unlikely to ever be dethroned, it's not like I haven't greatly enjoyed many games since then. Games like WipEout HD, Journey, The Last of Us, Bloodborne, What Remains of Edith Finch, and Horizon Zero Dawn.

The same goes for movies, books, and music. Most of my favorites are from years ago, but I can still enjoy the more recent ones perfectly fine. They may not reach similar heights, but they can be amazing in other ways. Even become some of my favorites, like the games mentioned above.

jryeje29

Fallout 3 is my personal favorite and while I’d like to say it never will be dethroned I don’t know because it’s come close twice. Both Mass Effect 1 and the Witcher 3 come quite close in that respect.

Top Bottom