• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which SFV newcomer do you think will stand the test of time?

Neoxon

If Ed showed up in a future game he could be slimmer due to the art style.

I want to see some of these newcomers in MvCI to see a refined take on the character design. C. Viper looked like a mess in SF4 but her design in MvC3 was actually pretty great.
While I'd like to see how MvCI would handle Ed, the fact that there's only 2 punches & 2 kicks would make things a bit weird for him. Then again, MvC games don't really use EX moves outside of a select few exceptions (Viper's gimmick in MvC3/UMvC3 is that she can use EX moves).

Overall, while I'd be okay with both Rashid & Ed being DLC for MvCI, if it came down to one, I'd go with Rashid.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
So far, considering the way SFIV's newcomers were treated, none of them! Rashid has a story that seems like it could end in this installment, though I'd like to see him get a permanent spot.

Ed has WAY too much set-up to be forgotten, so he'll probably stick around. I like Kolin's Ice moveset, and no one else in the series really has one as pure as hers.

I'm hoping Menat seems as integral to the "Soul" side of power, as Ed Seems to be to the "Psycho" side. We have to wait and see on that, however.

Sean is already a billion times better character than his sister, AND he's part of the "future" roster, whereas big sis isn't. Laura is an after-thought waiting to be retconned. The only reason she might not be, is if Capcom literally forgets her dull as powder self exists in the first place. Heck, I've forgotten her already. La Roo?

EDIT:

Laura is the Golf of E-Sports.

I really don't understand Laura's infatuation. She is terribly designed, lacks any sort of personality, and would be a nothing character if her brother wasn't Sean.

Rashid all the way.

I have no idea why people are saying Laura. Her entire character is "bimbo". Not what I'd call memorable.
It's nice to finally see some intelligence on Gaming for once.

Rashid's theme guarantees he'll be remembered. Hearing an arena filled with people singing along to it at EVO confirmed that.

Laura is notorious, so she'll be remembered like Elena in USF4.

Ed seems like he's going to have a pretty big role in the future, so he'll become more relevant over time.

And, Abigail's divisive EVO reveal and subsequent development over the past few weeks make him a good candidate. Love him or hate him, he's too big to forget.

DrArchon

Pre-release I would've said Necalli, but then he jobbed it up in story mode so I don't think Capcom has a ton of plans for him.

Right now I'm thinking Rashid.

Devil

Gameplaywise, they all stand a good chance actually because they all have a very distinct fighting style. That's one of the things you gotta give to them - they did a great job on that front. Same goes for the veterans, too.

My guess would be that Rashid and Laura will be the most likely ones.

But FANG could actually make a return too. He may be one of the least played characters, but his fighting style and gameplay is so unique that I can see the producers absolutely wanting to give it another chance next time instead of dropping him.

mas8705

Out of the characters in SFV, I'd honestly think Rashid would probably have the best chance.

For the other newcomers we got when the game launched, they all felt like they fulfilled the role they needed and didn't feel like they had added much else outside of that. Laura did feel like she was thrown in as she was in the story (and how she was out as quickly as she got in during the story mode), while FANG didn't feel like he held up as well as an "Evil Villain" like his counterparts. Don't get me wrong,
liquefying a person and licking the remains was pretty f***ed up
, but he felt too goofy and his playstyle of poison probably could have been better implemented. Finally for Necalli, I liked his playstyle, but he felt like he was a one shot that was made just for this game and that was it.

As for the Season 2 characters we've got so far, Kolin was a nice addition, but considering her current
Gill
partnership, I don't know how much more we would see with her. Abagail was a nice inclusion too, but again, it feels like he probably won't go much further (unless if a certain man from Final Fight did get to make his return, then we got a hype fight). As for Ed... I'm mixed there. I can see what they are doing there, but I'm hesitant to say if we would see more of him in the future.

So unless if one of the last two somehow does something more memorable than Rashid, I'd say that he would be the sole survivor like Juri was from SFIV (unless if we count Viper being in MvC3)

I usually try to catch the top 8 and never see him in there. Who are some players that use him?
EDIT: Damn it, I thought it was about FANG.

Rashid is played quite heavily by Oil King and John Takeuchi. I think there are a few other notable players too.

roknin

With the exception of Juri and Viper, SFV's newbies are already far and away better overall. Yes, even Necalli aka jobber.

...god he jobbed so hard in that story mode.

Anura

I feel like the only reason people actually like Laura is because they think she's hot. Her personality is just obnoxious and she doesn't even do much of anything in the plot.

It's gotta be Rashid. They gave us a middle eastern fighter and people didn't immediately treat him like shit with racist "jokes" (at least to my knowledge) so he's clearly a success. He's got the best theme, the best sense of style, and the best personality of SFV's cast.

Drahcir

I'm hoping Ed because he's been the only character I am able to play without worrying about messing up my button inputs. :) Too bad his stuff sucks though. :(

kikiribu

I feel like the only reason people actually like Laura is because they think she's hot. Her personality is just obnoxious and she doesn't even do much of anything in the plot.
Her personality is playful and fun. Only boring people that don't know how to win against her think she's obnoxious, just like Elena's haters. Laura/Elena best girls bless.

Flink

Her personality is playful and fun. Only boring people that don't know how to win against her think she's obnoxious, just like Elena's haters. Laura/Elena best girls bless.

Elena is amazing. Laura is trash and embarrassing:

laura-alt-skins-sf5-1024x581.jpg

Village

YES. The default costume is so damn shitty and the battle costume is so good that I ended up spending money on it. .

Hoodie > *. I do like his Battle Outfit too though, we should get more fanservice Ed. Summer Speedo Ed when? His regular outfit is so garbage. The hat.....

Yeah, I don't know what they were thinking

I feel like this is one of those " they wanted him to be special" situations, and the most derivative option would have actually been the supreme one.

However I don't think his main outfit is shitty, it would have made a nice alt, and I think the issue with it is more, the color is bad. With better colors I really like it, that said its not as good as his other ones.

As for fan service ed

Nah , japanese Reverse harem school uniform option edward.

Just slowly turn this game into a weird not rival school srival schools game. Just put rival schools characters in it

AAK

If we're talking about character themes, then Necalli wins this free.

Rashid is a super close 2nd

Anura

I hate how SFV played and barely touched it at all so it isn't about winning or losing. Her entire personality is "Bimbo", and that's not a good thing.

roknin

All this Laura hate lmao

Also, FANG is one of the coolest designs in SF in a while. They just need to tweak his play style a little more IMO.

wamberz1

Karin will be done once the Illuminati is dealt with. So she'll be in every game where they are a threat.

Abigail is done after this, just not popular enough

Nec is donzo

F.A.N.G. is a bit of a wildcard, but since shadaloo is dead I don't really see a point for him. It kinda sucks he came into the series so late because he was a pretty fun villain

Laura... ehhh. She doesn't really play a huge role in the story, but she is Seans sister... but she's decent design wise. Could go either way.

Rashid fills the agile-fast-jokester slot really well and isn't universally hated like Elf, so he has a solid shot of coming back. Or at least Azam.

Ed is pretty much guaranteed, he's being set up for future events big time.

Anura

T-shirt and shorts...oh the horror.

Elena is wearing even less clothes.

Why are you body shaming Laura just because her bust size is bigger? Natural human anatomy, how does it work.

Without a bra she should be losing health every time she jumps with tits that big. Just take it from me, boobs can be painful.

Village

Why are you body shaming Laura just because her bust size is bigger? Natural human anatomy, how does it work.

One, ain't nothing in street fighter natural human anatomy.

But two, T-Shirt and SHorts, however you want to down play it.

Its a shitty outfit. All of her outfits are shitty except her beach one.Oh wait, her Sports outfit is also not shit.

So she's got 2/4 good to shit outfit ratio

poodaddy

Kolin already withstood the test of time as she was in SF3, so the answer is Rashid and Kolin. Ed, Laura, and FANG all need to be incinerated.
Edit: Oh and Abigail is incredibly fun and likable, haters walk.

FANG's theme is the slickest shit. Doesn't work too well in a fighter imo, but it's def not bad.

People expecting Laura to come back aren't thinking too clearly. Viper had a shit ton of story significance yet she's not in SFV nor any of its first 3 seasons. All Laura has to her is that she's Sean's brother.

joe2187

Banned

This is her story outfit which assumes its a casual outfit which is pretty damn ridiculous ci
Considering shes a professional fighter...with no support.

Momentary

Banned
Rashid and Laura are the best newcomers. All Laura needs is maybe a touch up on her base clothing design.

Everyone else is a nope.

poodaddy

So you think that's a normal t shirt and shorts get up huh?

Don't leave the house and see much more than anime and Japanese video game characters I'd imagine. The design is amateur, pervy, fan service Otaku oriented trash, as is the character.

7Th

Probably Laura and the upcoming cute Egyptian girl. I mean, the only SFIV newcomer that still matters is Juri.

Top Bottom