• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which super team movie will have the higher B.O numbers?

I just saw the Justice League trailer and it had that close-up shot of a bullet casing hitting the ground in slow-mo that Zach Snyder loves so much....... So my vote is Justice League.

Probably Infinity War. That said, I think the recent success of Wonder Woman will give Justice League a fighting chance that it didn't have prior.

Cipherr

Justice League. just look at the numbers between spiderman and wonder woman

Look at the numbers between BvS and Guardians 2. BvS barely edges out Guardians yet JL is supposed to do Avengers numbers? Sometimes I think you guys don't pay attention.

Cherry pick the newest MCU movie salvaged from 3 previous TERRIBAD entries from Sony to compare to the best and most well received DCCU film.....

Ignore how WW fails to surpass worldwide box office for GoTG2, or CW... Just cherry pick Spiderman and act like it means something. Just ridiculous. I wish I could somehow make money off this stuff, because the answer here is painfully obvious.

Why would Will Smith lie about having brunch with Martin Lawrence?

There are like a million better things to say you were doing than claiming to have had a non-existent brunch with Martin Lawrence.

I do think Star Wars is somewhat of a factor in this debate. It's going to absolutely cut the legs off of anything releasing around it, so JL has four weeks to make most of whatever it's going to make.

There's nothing around IW that's even in the same ballpark to steal their thunder.

At worst you could say the Han Solo movie, but I remain skeptical on that one and it's not on the same level as a main trilogy film.

I do think Star Wars is somewhat of a factor in this debate. It's going to absolutely cut the legs off of anything releasing around it, so JL has four weeks to make most of whatever it's going to make.

There's nothing around IW that's even in the same ballpark to steal their thunder.
Four weeks later is an eternity. Star Wars isn't going to cut into Justice League at all. It will have made a majority of its money by then.

Four weeks later is an eternity. Star Wars isn't going to cut into Justice League at all. It will have made a majority of its money by then.

I agree, but if it's at all close, those extra few weeks could be the difference. I don't think it's a major thing, but like I said, it could be "somewhat" of a factor.

Nev

Banned
Infinity War obviously but JL will be the highest grossing movie in the DCEU unless it's complete trash.

Suicide Squad, a team up movie with only one A-tier main character (Harley Quinn) made 700+, Wonder Woman is close to 800.

People have been waiting for a Justice League movie for decades. They have to fuck up real bad for it to fall short of 900.
They will.

Avengers. 10 years of hype should take it to 1.3 billion dollars worldwide at the very least. We'll see if it matches the first Avengers though. Not superhero fatigue but I think we're starting to see some hesitation from mainstream audiences when it comes to jumping into the MCU train now. I don't think they're really making any new converts but hey, I'm sure they'll manage.

JL is a big unknown. If it's perceived as a sequel to BvS and gets bad wom it could disappoint. But after Wonder Woman, a billion is absolutely possible with decent reviews. Considering that the floor seems to be a lot higher for DC heroes, at least domestically, a few years from now I could see the DCEU overtaking the MCU. But they're not quite there yet.

I bet Aquaman will surprise a lot of people though.

Infinity War obviously but JL will be the highest grossing movie in the DCEU unless it's complete trash.

Suicide Squad, a team up movie with only one A-tier main character (Harley Quinn) made 700+, Wonder Woman is close to 800.

People have been waiting for a Justice League movie for decades. They have to fuck up real bad for it to fall short of 900.
They will.

This JL movie looks pretty damn bad...

Infinity War will easily have more numbers. Marvel has spent nearly 10 years putting these characters out there, and if you only watched one marvel movie for the first time, you can feel good knowing the characters you recognized from the film you watched will make an appearance in this new one.

Apathy

Infinity war, and not even up for debate. Can't really imagine anyone saying jl seriously if they look at pervious numbers and have even the slightest knowledge of humanity right now

Nah man, Thor Ragnarok.

Every movie where Hulk punched Thor made over 1.5b.

They should do a re-release of this television classic in theaters:

hulk_thor_0.png

Look out, James Cameron!

MrS

Banned
Justice League

Batman alone is a better character than all of those Marvel bums combined. Throw in WW and you're on to a winner.

You look at that Justice League thread and a lot of the DCEU's fans are dead set on working themselves into a place where it not being Clark is a real possibility.

Like, trying to eye-measure calf sizes & shit.
This is bollocks. Nobody in that thread thinks superman is not in the film.

kswiston

avengers for sure.

justice league will be highest grossing comic movie this year though.

I also think that Justice League will be #1 this year. At least worldwide. I could see it being edged out by Wonder Woman and GotG 2 domestically, but BvS was stronger than either of those overseas. I think that Justice League will top $600M OS.

Infinity War will have had a decade of build-up. I would not be surprised to see it do The Force Awakens-level of numbers. I wouldn't like to bet on Justice League though, as I already thought BvS was going to do massive numbers that would top Civil War & Rogue One. I think if Justice League does Civil War-level numbers it would be a massive success given all that's gone before it.

Carcetti

Infinity War will slaughter Justice League. People were watching the SDCC trailers at work today and even Thor Ragnarok was destroying Justice League based on the reactions.

Mrbob

I don't understand why there is a Justice League movie already. It should be Infinity War for the fact Marvel had built towards this moment. I don't think DC has earned a team up movie yet.

The Justice League trailer at SDCC did nothing for me. I don't follow comic books much and not sure why I should care about Justice League, where I have seen enough in Marvel to know the stakes of Thor and Infinity War.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Infinity War will slaughter Justice League. People were watching the SDCC trailers at work today and even Thor Ragnarok was destroying Justice League based on the reactions.

The Ragnarok trailer has more Youtube views than the Justice League trailer, despite being released later, for what that's worth

Keym

Lol, I don't like the MCU that much, but even I can tell Infinity War will make a gazillion american dollars.

I don't understand why there is a Justice League movie already. It should be Infinity War for the fact Marvel had built towards this moment. I don't think DC has earned a team up movie yet.

The Justice League trailer at SDCC did nothing for me. I don't follow comic books much and not sure why I should care about Justice League, where I have seen enough in Marvel to know the stakes of Thor and Infinity War.

Avengers was the 5th MCU movie. Justice League is the 5th DCEU movie.

kswiston

If it ain't #1 Domestically, It ain't #1.

I think it depends on the gap. Wonder Woman will win the summer by about $15M domestic, but GotG2 will stay ahead by around $50M worldwide (with similar Chinese grosses for both). As such, GotG2 probably edges out Wonder Woman if we're just talking about studio cuts of the box office.

If Justice League does $375M domestic, but $975M worldwide, that seems like a clear win to me.

$275M domestic and $875M worldwide wouldn't really be a win, even if the WW total is still slightly higher than Guardians 2.

Top Bottom