• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which super team movie will have the higher B.O numbers?

I think it depends on the gap.

I dunno, I can see your point but even as the international audience blooms (and it has) and while producers seem increasingly interested in making sure the films don't appeal to just American audiences (some going about that better than others) it really does seem to me that while we watching the horse race love the big numbers (and we do) the people greenlighting, funding, writing, producing, and directing the films are looking at those domestic numbers, because those are the ones that get everyone paid.

Worldwide numbers are important - especially in that they can save a film that would otherwise considered a disappointment. And by save I mean get a sequel that otherwise would have never happened, and maybe that's all she wrote. It can buy you a last grasp at the domestic relevance you were hoping to get the first time out. Worldwide numbers are like 1-ups.

So to use a video game analogy: In a score-based game, your victory state tends not to depend on how many extra lives you still have in the bank. It measures the points.

I've always looked at this from the perspective that Domestic numbers are always way more important than the worldwide ones, and when talking about a film's perception as being #1, you have to start at home, and then expand outwards. If you're not #1 at home, you're not #1.

But I agree that if the gap is huge, then you make an exception - and Avatar's success is basically the entire reason Worldwide took the focus in the first place.

kswiston

I dunno, I can see your point but even as the international audience blooms (and it has) and while producers seem increasingly interested in making sure the films don't appeal to just American audiences (some going about that better than others) it really does seem to me that while we watching the horse race love the big numbers (and we do) the people greenlighting, funding, writing, producing, and directing the films are looking at those domestic numbers, because those are the ones that get everyone paid.

Worldwide numbers are important - especially in that they can save a film that would otherwise considered a disappointment. And by save I mean get a sequel that otherwise would have never happened, and maybe that's all she wrote. It can buy you a last grasp at the domestic relevance you were hoping to get the first time out. Worldwide numbers are like 1-ups.

So to use a video game analogy: In a score-based game, your victory state tends not to depend on how many extra lives you still have in the bank. It measures the points.

I've always looked at this from the perspective that Domestic numbers are always way more important than the worldwide ones, and when talking about a film's perception as being #1, you have to start at home, and then expand outwards. If you're not #1 at home, you're not #1.

But I agree that if the gap is huge, then you make an exception - and Avatar's success is basically the entire reason Worldwide took the focus in the first place.

Ya. Most of the time the domestic winner is close enough to being the worldwide winner, that you can just give precedence to the more impressive domestic gross.

But occasionally we get a situation like 2014, where the domestic winner made half of what the worldwide winner made, and neither the second or third place domestic films were within $300M of winning the worldwide crown. It's pretty hard to argue that Transformers 4 didn't win in 2014.

Sephzilla

What also needs to be factored in is that DC/WB already blew their "biggest heroes on screen together" moment with Batman vs Superman. So "seeing Batman/Superman/WW on screen together" isn't a selling point anymore

What also needs to be factored in is that DC/WB already blew their "biggest heroes on screen together" moment with Batman vs Superman. So "seeing Batman/Superman/WW on screen together" isn't a selling point anymore

They are already selling it as Wonder Woman and friends. Best way to approach it right now after the reception that Wonder Woman got.

It happened in this thread when I brought it up.

Christ.
I mean, I said that it was clearly Superman at the end of the trailer but maybe not the hologram and apparently I'm one of those theorycrafting nerds now huh.

Even though MoS did have that empty chamber still, and this trailer itself namedropped Lanterns, so it's not like they don't like to tease characters in the DCEU.

WaterAstro

In the Infinity War thread, I talked about how Marvel has made 18 movies leading up to this.

DC only has Man of Steel, BvS, and Wonder Woman.

Marvel has spent more time and resources hyping us up for this moment. They will and deserve the higher number.

inky

Civil War dropped like 60%+ and people were calling disaster. Narratives formed about the month long preview period and "early screening saturation" which created a fatigue before the movie debuted. BvS almost hit 70% iirc.

Anything near 40% would be a goddamn miracle.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Infinity War will crush Justice League. Like "almost double JL's worldwide box office" crush it.

While JL will certainly clear a billion, I would imagine Avengers 3 would reach close to 2.

JL clearing a billion is a very, very rosy forecast. It's two weeks after Thor, one week before Thanksgiving, and four weeks from Star Wars. It'll be lucky to do Wonder Woman numbers.

Cvie

Avengers was the 5th MCU movie. Justice League is the 5th DCEU movie.

I feel there isn't as much build up for DC though. With Avengers we had already been introduced to all the players including the villian. Loki was a big focal point of the marketing and the fact he was already established helped alot imo. Even Black Widow and Hawkeye had some actual screen time in the films leading up to avengers whereas half the team and the villian for Justice League is having their first real appearance.
I do like that DC is giving a strong push for WonderWoman and showing off how much fun Flash and Aquaman might be but I think Avengers had much more going in its favour. Just splitting it down to x number of films vs x number of films isn't a good comparison.

As Bobby has said, the real wild card here is the Guardians teaming up with all the other Marvel heroes. This is going to be the everything and the kitchen sink team up with Marvel, and it is the long term buildup to this big event.

Hex

Banned
Couldn't give a shit less.
That is for people with small dicks and no lives to worry about in my opinion.
Right now this is an amazing time to live in, when we have all of the comic heroes that I grew up with up there with big movies and universes.
My only hope and care is that they all succeed to various levels so that we can keep having them.
Not everything needs to be a competition, and it is very telling that some are eager for some movies to fail

Robert Downey Jr.
Josh Brolin
Mark Ruffalo
Tom Hiddleston
Chris Evans
Chris Hemsworth
Jeremy Renner
Chris Pratt
Elizabeth Olsen
Sebastian Stan
Benedict Cumberbatch
Paul Bettany
Samuel L. Jackson
Cobie Smulders
Benedict Wong
Zoe Saldana
Karen Gillan
Vin Diesel
Dave Bautista
Bradley Cooper
Pom Klementieff
Scarlett Johansson
Benicio del Toro
Tom Holland
Anthony Mackie
Chadwick Boseman
Danai Gurira
Paul Rudd
Don Cheadle

Hooooolyyyy shit. Is the most star-studded cast of all time?!

The only way I see JL beating IW is if it manages to be a good movie. Meaning, slim chances. I don't think it'll have enough WW to offset your typical Snyder issues.

TP-DK

Russo bros = directors of winter soldier & civil war

Zack Snyder = Director of MoS & BvS (and suckerpunch)

Not saying people can't learn but track record is a thing. Just look at Michael Bay.

Russo bros = You me and Dupree

Zack Snyder = Watchmen

Apparently Infinity War is gonna suck balls.

JL.

Spidey with Iron Man is limping. Civil War made just over a billion. JL has WW good will and Aquabro

Lol, you're so biased. By your logic Guardians of the Galaxy V2 has made more money than WW, so Avengers 2 will be coasting on that goodwill? And let's see how well received Ragnarok and Black Panther are as well. Also, Civil War made $1.15 billion and that was with the Captain America branding as opposed to Avengers.

Anung

Un Rama
IW. Ultron may have failed to capture the wow factor of the team getting together like the first time but the sheer scale of the cast and every single major hero getting together is crazy.

I feel Justice League has too much going against it but I'm sure it'll do fine BO wise. Still amazes me that they had Bats, Supes and Wonder Woman in a film and it didn't hit the billion mark. I guess word of mouth was just that toxic.

Lifeline

Avengers:

Longer running franchise

The culmination that people have been waiting for since the first avengers movie

Guradians + Spider-Man + Avengers : all massive box office draws

They're probably gonna kill off some of the heroes

Guranteed high RT score

Not a chance JL does better.

Top Bottom