• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which video games would be suitable for movies/series?

Spyxos

Gold Member
I would like to see Bioshock, Mass Effect and Red dead Redemption. Which ones would you like to see?

BioShock-Key-Art-Publicity-H-2022.jpg
the-vanguard-reaper-mass-effect-3-h7s0utm5xdkh1hyr.jpg
147519.jpg

Krieger

Metro 2033 TV show by HBO, Dead Space anime by either Madhouse, Mappa or Bones, and a Just Cause movie by Michael Bay.

calistan

It’ll never happen, but I think Half-Life could make for a pretty great movie if done right.
Protagonist who doesn't speak?

I'd go for a series based on Life Is Strange. Weird/supernatural tales about outsider kids. It would be like I'm Not Okay With This, which was just brilliant for the one season it lasted.

elhav

I think with good writers the Mass Effect universe can produce a good series.

The original Life is Strange can also be turned into a good movie adaptation or something.

I think any game that tells much of its story through its gameplay and exploration will not be a really good adaptation (Half Life, Souls games, Shadow of the Colossus etc.)

Last edited:

Pelao

I want an Ace Combat anime, and by that I mean I want an Ace Combat 3 anime, and by that I mean I want an Ace Combat 3 remake to go along with it.

LordOfChaos

The main thing is there's a lot that would be a dream if done really well, but are most often done by people who don't share the same love or else don't have the budget or just don't do it well in some way

I'd love to see a Mass Effect cinematic universe, Bioshock, Bioshock Infinite, Bloodborne seems to be happening somehow but what I want is it done really well, Nier Automata could be cool, To the Moon

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Vampyr would make for an excellent film or series. A show for TNT was in development, but I think those plans fell through. I don't know if they'd be able to provide the budget to give the story or its setting justice, and the last thing I want is for the show to feature a modernized setting (or realize its setting through an LED volume).

A live-action Kingdom Hearts would make so many people mad, but it could be so good. I can see Takashi Miike doing it well. It's one of those games that would call for a lot of artistic liberty to be taken in adapting for live-action, and I think that's a large part of the appeal for me. It has to be directed by someone who isn't a coward.

Alan Wake could make for an excellent series (and AMC currently has the rights to develop a series), but I also feel like a TV adaptation would inevitably deliver a weaker story than the game. I foresee an expanded cast with new, pointless, and much weaker characters, and for their versions of each game character to feel shallow in comparison to their original portrayals. That's how I felt about The Last of Us.

Live-action Ocarina of Time. Do it, cowards.

Beechos

I would love to see an epic final fantasy 4 movie lord of the rings style. This game has it all.

epic adventure
Awesome protagonists and antagonist
Friendship
Love
Betrayal
Redemption
Sacrifice
Laughter
Mystery

I could go on and on

calistan

He’d obviously speak in a movie. I don’t think it’d be much of a hurdle.
The non-speaking kind of defines him though. He says nothing because he is the player. If he spoke and it wasn't like you imagined, it would be like Master Chief taking off his helmet.

Robb

Gold Member
The non-speaking kind of defines him though. He says nothing because he is the player. If he spoke and it wasn't like you imagined, it would be like Master Chief taking off his helmet.
Sure, but like with most things it’ll take 10 minutes and then you’ll be used to it for the rest of the ride. What they need is give him a clear mission the audience understands and can relate to, so that they view it as his journey and not their own as in the games.

There’s definitely potential for a clash. But as long as they get the major things with the story, characters, designs, atmosphere/mystery etc. right I don’t think people would care much that the protagonist is voiced. I also think going to a movie, you’ll expect him to be voiced from the get-go anyway. So there’s a difference there already between the mediums.

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

I would say everything can be turned into a TV series and movie, not necessarily RDR because it already looks like one.
The only barrier is if the world building of the game is fleshed out, and competent writers.

Hell you can make a series on PAPER PLEASE or Dave the Diver.

kyussman

With the current "creatives" in the film and tv industries, no good adaptations are possible.
Wait ten years.
Yea,the current crop aren't interested in telling stories,just political activism......that's unsustainable(see Disney),so we just have to wait for this stuff to flush it's way out,will be years yet though.

xrnzaaas

I always say Hitman would be great for a tv series. It could have Agent 47 perform "weekly" assassinations all around the world with some major conspiracy plot going on in the background.

calistan

I always say Hitman would be great for a tv series. It could have Agent 47 perform "weekly" assassinations all around the world with some major conspiracy plot going on in the background.
The Hitman movies are not that bad, I think it would defintely work as a high-budget series. I like the original Hitman plot too, before he became a sort of James Bond figure. It was just dark and amoral, getting money for murders before the ICA betrayed him, so there could be an origin story there as well.

yansolo

max payne would be a perfect noir action movie but well never get one since they released that awful mark wahlberg one back in 08 or whenever it was

FunkMiller

They already fucking ruined what would probably have made an incredibly good movie or TV series:

nathan drake but uncharted is soooo dear to meit has a special place in my heart GIF

...we got tiny fucking Tom Holland in a dreadful film, and another shitty Indiana Jones movie instead.

xrnzaaas

The Hitman movies are not that bad, I think it would defintely work as a high-budget series. I like the original Hitman plot too, before he became a sort of James Bond figure. It was just dark and amoral, getting money for murders before the ICA betrayed him, so there could be an origin story there as well.
For me they're unwatchable. Poor casting for the lead roles in both movies (especially in the last one with that actor from Homeland) and way too much emphasis on action. I would love if an entire episode was about preparing for the perfect assassination and 47 didn't use his silverballers or held off until every piece falls into place. Kinda like the Leverage show, but the other way around and with a much darker theme.

Or we could have an entire episode with some party or other gathering happening, focusing on the potential targets and their motives and only briefly showing 47 in the background doing his things.

My image for this show is simple: subtle kills and whole lotta planning = yes, intense action scenes (featuring an actor with a shaved head, not even a proper bald one) = fuck no.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Children of Men
Underrated movie imo.

But I want those head crabs, zombies, Dog the robot, G-man with his quotes (and showing up/hiding in the background in certain scenes) etc.

And a dystopian cliffhanger ending with this playing in the credits:

NahaNago

Unless the cast or main character is already diverse they shouldn't even bother since they would probably just end up massacring the characters if it isn't. So Forspoken, saints row, and last watchdogs would be okay to make with nods to previous games in the movie. Your best bet these days would be to have an anime series of the game instead.

Shut0wen

Am i the only one thqt thinks a bioshock movie would be ass? One of my top 5 games but even i think itll be shit, lets be honest its main story isnt that good

AJUMP23

I would take a Mass Effect series.

I would like an animated Zelda movie.

Most games are based on some movie or other property even loosely, and so it appears cyclical in a way. Tomb Raider is Indiana jones, then you get Tomb raider movies, the same with Uncharted

Top Bottom