• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White Evangelicals Believe They Face More Discrimination Than Muslims (The Atlantic)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dude Abides

Banned
Both testaments are written from the POV of people who were in fact oppressed. That plus white conservative fragility and you get this nonsense.

ReAxion

happy holidays
no mandatory prayer in public schools
ten commandments not allowed in courthouses
black lives matter

these are all oppressive to them.

I went to church for my grandmother's birthday and they literally peddled out for thirty minutes about how the world (and especially Muslims) was out to get them. They even had us pray especially for Homeland Security fffff.

Whatever happened to love thy neighbor? Or do unto others?

I guess I just don't understand churches, or god for that matter.

Slightly off topic, bu how would these religious nut cases act of suddenly if alien existed? Like what does heir god say about that? Wouldn't aliens prove their religion is a sham? Sorry for the weird question.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Slightly off topic, bu how would these religious nut cases act of suddenly if alien existed? Like what does heir god say about that? Wouldn't aliens prove their religion is a sham? Sorry for the weird question.

I imagine they would try to convert/bomb the aliens.

It's their need to instill a state-based religion (I.e., theocracy)
this post should be pinned. it's not just a need:
This is a core fundamental belief that identifies Evangelicals from other Christian groups.

Every thread that pops up on Evangelicals should know this is the reason they cannot change their lense from this position. And they will fight tooth and nail for it even if it means supporting Trump. If Obama gave them an advantage they'd jump ship.

It's such a weird thing. Like I can understand why someone may believe that they face discrimination as a white Christian, but MORE than others? We live in a society where not only is there a travel ban aimed at Muslims, but the band was carefully designed to protect Christians.

It's such a weird thing. Like I can understand why someone may believe that they face discrimination as a white Christian, but MORE than others? We live in a society where not only is there a travel ban aimed at Muslims, but the band was carefully designed to protect Christians.

Why have reality when you have sean hannity.

KrellRell

By reading this thread, looks like they are discriminated against. You'd never see a thread saying these kinds of things about Muslims.

Ban Puncher

White Evangelicals?

tumblr_inline_obb9o6aPhb1t1ysj1_500.gif

Got

Banned
By reading this thread, looks like they are discriminated against. You'd never see a thread saying these kinds of things about Muslims.

lol

instead of pussy-ing out and generalizing with strawman arguments about "saying these kinds of things," post some examples of where you think christians are being discriminated against.

image.php

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

yeah, because unfortunately Muslims have to go through this in real life not just forum threads.

KrellRell

lol

instead of pussy-ing out and generalizing with strawman arguments about "saying these kinds of things," post some examples of where you think christians are being discriminated against.

image.php

All I'm saying is that if you replaced the topic of this thread with another group, it reads pretty poorly. It's only accepted because this forum doesn't like evangelicals. I'm not for or against them, I don't know anything about it and it doesn't exist where I live. Just reading the thread and commenting.

Got

Banned
All I'm saying is that if you replaced the topic of this thread with another group, it reads pretty poorly. It's only accepted because this forum doesn't like evangelicals. I'm not for or against them, I don't know anything about it and it doesn't exist where I live. Just reading the thread and commenting.

no you said the responses here would indicate that evangelicals are being discriminated against. show us the receipts.

still waiting.

Nepenthe

Yes.

If you replaced the topic of this thread with another group, it would read poorly.

Because there is already a present double standard to the way other groups are actually treated in the US compared to white people regardless of their religious affiliation.

But, I mean, surely you know this already. Surely you possess the competency to recall Trump's Muslim bans and subsequently realize this is not such an obstacle for white Evangelicals.

It was the basis behind that piece of shit movie God's not dead. The persecution complex is big with these guys because people are actually calling them out on their bullshit more and more.

Got

Banned
But, I mean, surely you know this already. Surely you possess the competency to recall Trump's Muslim bans and subsequently realize this is not such an obstacle for white Evangelicals.

I don't know anything about it and it doesn't exist where I live. Just reading the thread and commenting.

maybe he doesn't (based off his own words) and just likes to pop in and say stuff without backing it up.

Pryce

Where did these people come from?

In other words, when did Christianity go from mainline protestantism to far-right Evangelical fundamentalism?

Piecake

In other words, when did Christianity go from mainline protestantism to far-right Evangelical fundamentalism?

Revealing a surprising paradox at the heart of America's "Bible Belt," Christine Leigh Heyrman examines how the conservative religious traditions so strongly associated with the South evolved out of an evangelical Protestantism that began with very different social and political attitudes.

Although the American Revolution swept away the institutional structures of the Anglican Church in the South, the itinerant evangelical preachers who subsequently flooded the region at first encountered resistance from southern whites, who were affronted by their opposition to slaveholding and traditional ideals of masculinity, their lack of respect for generational hierarchy, their encouragement of women's public involvement in church affairs, and their allowance for spiritual intimacy with blacks. As Heyrman shows, these evangelicals achieved dominance in the region over the course of a century by deliberately changing their own "traditional values" and assimilating the conventional southern understandings of family relationships, masculine prerogatives, classic patriotism, and martial honor. In so doing, religious groups earlier associated with nonviolence and antislavery activity came to the defense of slavery and secession and the holy cause of upholding both by force of arms--and adopted the values we now associate with the "Bible Belt."

https://www.amazon.com/dp/080784716X/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Both testaments are written from the POV of people who were in fact oppressed. That plus white conservative fragility and you get this nonsense.

Yeah. It's kind of insane that there's probably no state that you can't find a fucking multi-acre megachurch with X number of satellite campuses, attend such a place, literally live in a country where elected officials are scared shitless of not being Christian and claim any sort of discrimination.

A hypothetical like that means nothing when the reality is that group in question is in fact dominant and uses that dominance to further agendas that silence or harm people outside of their group.

APF

All I'm saying is that if you replaced the topic of this thread with another group, it reads pretty poorly. It's only accepted because this forum doesn't like evangelicals.

There are a couple of problems with this post. First, flipping the subjects without accounting for historical and contemporary context provides a meaningless comparison. Eg, Muslims in America face enormously greater discrimination than mean words by anonymous posters in an internet forum. Second, not liking a group does not equate to active IRL discrimination against that group, eg in terms of enacting legislation against that group, or participating in hate crimes.

KrellRell

There are a couple of problems with this post. First, flipping the subjects without accounting for historical and contemporary context provides a meaningless comparison. Eg, Muslims in America face enormously greater discrimination than mean words by anonymous posters in an internet forum. Second, not liking a group does not equate to active IRL discrimination against that group, eg in terms of enacting legislation against that group, or participating in hate crimes.

Thanks for enlightening me. TIL USA is fucked up, good luck with your country.

M3d10n

That's easy: claim the aliens are demons sent by satan to trick us. I'm sure you could spin apocalypse enough to find a match there.

Mostly from rural areas where they never have to see or engage with non-white Christians and only know about their existence and wrongdoings from Fox News and conservative radio.

Sunster

yea if you take the bible literally then many many many many things would disprove your entire faith. the bible was written by humans, not God.

Being called a name is on the low end of the discrimination scale. In what capacity are White Evangelicals' lives EVER inconvenienced or harmed because of their religious identity?

KrellRell

That's just absurd. Discrimination existed far before any kind of Christianity did.

How did you just learn that now? Of all things to go "goddamn, America is fucked up" about, lol. I mean, Trump is the President, that should have been your first indication.

It's a tough one, the posters on this forum are mostly American and quite reasonable, but since Trump is president they don't represent USA. I've visited many states and have never seen or had any issues with anything. I try to take most things I read on the news with a grain of salt. You know, a country that represents itself as being the greatest place on earth, but its residents apparently think it's one of the most fucked, it's confusing.

dejay

Banned
They probably think a cashier saying "Happy Holidays" is discrimination.

A few years back some peeps in our office (Australia) sent our US office a Christmas card, and they wrote "Merry Xmas" on it. In return we got a lecture on how Xmas is improper and we shouldn't use it.

It's a tough one, the posters on this forum are mostly American and quite reasonable, but since Trump is president they don't represent USA. I've visited many states and have never seen or had any issues with anything. I try to take most things I read on the news with a grain of salt. You know, a country that represents itself as being the greatest place on earth, but it's residents apparently think it's one of the most fucked, it's confusing.

Let me give you a crash course. The USA is steeped in racial injustice and discrimination towards any group that isn't evangelical and white. We were founded by Puritans for fuck's sake.

And there are plenty of us who do not think it's the greatest place on earth.

JZA

Used to be fairly religious, and I know there's a lot of language in Revelations that pastors use for dramatic effect. A lot of that imagery revolves around persecution of the faithful. Talking about the present day as the "end times" I guess is supposed to scare more people into attending church and build up the tithing coffers. I wish that poll also asked the faithful what their primary source of news was.

How did the church react when the new world was discovered? They hired people to go convert as many as they can, and murder/rape/pillage the rest.

Time is a flat circle.

Acerac

Banned
Absolutely true, my mother adores her shirt that says that Christians are persecuted every day. It's horribly fucked up but good luck convincing her of that while she is watching Fox News...

That was actively done by the Slave-owning Southern elite well before the Civil War. It happened around the mid 1650s and especially after Bacon's Rebellion. Those elites put laws in place that put the white marginalized group in a position of power over the black slaves and black workers.

Before the Southern elite did this, marginalized whites and blacks did find common cause together and did fight back together. Obviously, that was not in the interest of the small elite because if everyone was against them, then they would be fucked.

This is also how racism developed as well. Before, the world certainly had discrimination and prejudice, it was just mostly ethnocentrism and not racism.

Hell, one of the main reasons why the Civil War was actually popular with non-slave owning southerners is because it was a war to preserve white supremacy. They felt that if they lost then their white supremacist society would end and they would be on the same plain as the black slaves.

The whole thing is a goddamn fucking nightmare. The only reason America gets a pass on our own history is because of the wealth and power it's acquired since WW2. If we hadn't been as successful, I'm sure the rest of the world would look at us with distrust and/or disdain, much like Russia is currently viewed.

Got

Banned
Let me give you a crash course. The USA is steeped in racial injustice and discrimination towards any group that isn't evangelical and white. We were founded by Puritans for fuck's sake.

And there are plenty of us who do not think it's the greatest place on earth.

I think a big issue is that people outside of the US sometimes see all of us as saying we're the greatest but in actuality we are striving for the ideals put forth by our founders to help guide us to being a better place with ideals that everyone should strive for.

"WE'RE BEING PERSECUTED BY EVERYONE" is literally built into Christianity and it's fucking ridiculous. It's still functionally impossible be the leader of the United States without at least pretending to be Christian, but sure, much persecution (says the group behind literally all of it in this country).

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Absolutely true, my mother adores her shirt that says that Christians are persecuted every day. It's horribly fucked up but good luck convincing her of that while she is watching Fox News...

I often straight up ask these folks if they feel so persecuted as a white person would they trade their position and everything that goes with it for that of a black man/woman or Muslim man/woman or *insert oppressed/abused minority* and most will always deflect away from answering or give some really half assed round about answer. Only the boldest most lost causes would say "yes" and even then it usually came with some hangs ups or other kinds of the usual bull shit rhetoric. A lot of these people know full well that their whole "White Genocide" and "Christian oppression" is straight up bull shit but they've been eating from that trough too long to stop now. Its the racist blanket they use to wrap themselves up with and feel better about their "situation"

Piecake

But Americans codified racial discrimination using demented interpretations of the Christian Bible.

That's not really true.

Racism developed in slave sugar islands of the Caribbean by European Colonists/slave owners, and then spread to America.

Moreover, British and other Europeans spent quite a bit of time justifying their use of slavery in their colonies and their involvement in the slave trade, just as the Americans did, once people started saying that it was evil and immoral.

As for who started it, I am not sure, but if I had to bet I would place money on the British, mostly because American colonists did a lot of aping British ideas and not a whole lot of creating during this time.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I went to a chrstian bible study group and I was shocked when they said they feel that thry are the most oppressed group of people in america. Kids these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom