• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White House readies order on withdrawing from NAFTA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arizona is going to get screwed. If this goes through you will see a huge backlash from red states as they benifit from Nafta greatly.

Obama's fault. BAM. Problem solved.

Oh, thank god... I guess. Knowing Trump, the renegotiation either ends up with the US getting a worse deal out of it, or he's so incompetent that nothing changes.

the disparity between Trump's entourage versus Senators and Governors on this issue is going explode.

Most Republican Governors want Trump to back off

UberTag

The leaders of every country in the world know Trump is all talk and is a total coward when push comes to shove.
All the more reason why NO nation on this planet should capitulate to American demands or settle for anything less than the status quo until Trump is removed from office.

TarNaru33

Banned
I think you misunderstood me... or I'm misunderstanding you. Obamacare isn't the same situation. This poster is saying that the party in control of everything could purposefully make things much much worse in hopes that they could put in legislation to make it less worse than that and still retain power. The problem is that the much much worse comes first and likely wouldn't be "less worse" before elections.

Basically people would have to believe that NAFTA, the fucking trade policy in place for decades suddenly made things worse right now and that Trump will fix that. I just don't think people are that dumb in that way. People blame the ruling party for their immediate pocketbook problems. If gas suddenly went way way way up, they'd be pissed at republicans, for instance. If republicans then made is slightly less worse than way way way up they still don't win that argument. Same goes for other goods.

No, we understand one another and I do agree that, that is what Republicans are doing. There is a large size of people that already believe that NAFTA are what is taking away the jobs and making things completely worse right now (same for coal miners blaming Climate Change regulation) when the jobs are being taken away by automation and cheaper fuel alternatives.

I do understand you mean an immediate issue becoming worse after legislation is passed. The issue with that, is many of the legislation that is bad that they are passing aren't immediately seen (except to anyone who did the research) to be bad legislation until another president have to clean it up. There are not many laws that can be passed or will be passed that will have immediate effects on the populace. This is why Republicans can do what the guy you quoted is saying and why it actually works, because the average voting citizen, do not do this research. Though again, I do agree with you, that most of the time they attribute huge issues to whoever is in control of U.S whether it is their fault or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom