• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White House readies order on withdrawing from NAFTA

Status
Not open for further replies.

djkimothy

Does him leaving NAFTA get us (Canada) out of the bullshit pro-corporation laws that NAFT had, like the ability to sue us in regards to our own laws? Can we start selling oil at non discounted prices to them?

I am unaware of the details of the original agreement. Who knew that it would be in play in 2017...

Fercho

I think this move is designed to strong-arm the Mexican government to summit to USA's trade conditions.

It will depend on Mexico if we look south/Europe/China or if we bow down to Trump. Sadly, knowing the Mexican government, they will continue to suck his orange dick (i still have hope).

Amir0x

Banned
upside: first year political/economist neophytes who listen to campaign slogans from incompetent populists for answers will learn first hand how positive deals like this were for our economy!

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
upside: first year political/economist neophytes who listen to campaign slogans from incompetent populists for answers will learn first hand how positive deals like this were for our economy!

Possibly, but I think the end game for this is going to go in a few unexpected places. Eventually there will be some surprises in store for people who support this, and for those who don't. What will certainly happen for sure is that any good things that manifest from this will be selectively focused on to make a point by supporters, while ignoring the bad things. (and vice versa, to be fair)

Unless, this is all bad, in which case it'd be pretty clear lol.

Maxim726X

Well, it's up to congress. You know what though. I don't think congress would even allow it. There's too much at stake to tow the president's line on this one. They don't want to be the ones to single handidly through their economies into recession. Or maybe i'm wrong.

Well, some of the members of Congress actually have a fundamental understanding of how the economy works, so no... I don't think for one second that they're going to do that.

Tovarisc

7dtayFJ.png

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/857297981552373760

Apharmd

Or turn my state blue, even better. I'm tired of Republicans running the show here. We need change.

I hate that they're playing chicken with our lives. Does our state hate brown people so much that we will burn ourselves alive just to express their hatred?

Oh wait, US just did this a few days ago with the wall.

Damn. I guess we're THAT racist.

Sarek

Stock market is not behaving in any rational manner to the potential threat Trump poses to the economy. I would not want my investments in there right now.

Most of the real life indicators around the world are actually quite positive. Europe seems to final be in recovery mode, Asia is doing fine, and so is the US. Trump adds uncertainty, but not nearly enough to tank the markets.

Madness

It's not North Korea alone, it's the escalation of force if Russia and China get involved. Full scale nuclear war is a real possibility.

Yeah it could be, and the US conventionally is stronger than all 3 combined and unconventionally has unmatched second and third strike capabilities and even has population clusters outside of their major cities. How much of China's population is just near the mainland. How much of Russia's population is outside of a handful of cities near Moscow.

I swear some of you guys have gone off the deep end. No, Russia and China will not get involved in a dispute with the US and NK or one that will go nuclear because they also don't want to die. Nothing will happen. This is again just posturing as well. American interests won't allow him to withdraw from NAFTA like this without assurances or some kind of new NAFTA like deal.

7Th

The front-runner for next Mexican president wants to pull out of NAFTA; might as well do it before he gets the chance.

Stock market is not behaving in any rational manner to the potential threat Trump poses to the economy. I would not want my investments in there right now.

If you're the 2-3% that can effectively do stock-timing and short-term trading, yeah, it may or may not be a good time to be in the stock market.

If you're almost anyone though and you're investing for your retirement and relatively young (<40 years old), this is as good of a time as any to be invested. Don't let fear-driven posts like kirblar's up there talk you out of investing for your retirement, people.

Your loss, dude.

Eh, I disagree. It is all about diversity with your investments.

These people get it.

kirby_fox

Banned
How is this even sane in this day and age where there is 2 billion dollars daily of trade just between Canada and USA? Everything will go to Fuck Land. Everyone on all sides are going to get fucked in Fuck Land.

*Except the rich people who will make money on this because of some bullshit we don't understand.

The rest of us plebs? Well, better hope we like paying more for stuff. It doesn't even matter if it comes from Canada/Mexico or not- I'm sure there's at least one company that'll raise prices and blame it on NAFTA being withdrawn.

I don't agree with withdrawing but I think everyone I see saying trump is wrecking the economy is serverly overestimating NAFTAs impact on the US. It will barely have an impact on the market.

Moreover, the corp tax cut would have a huge positive impact that would more than negate withdrawing from NAFTA.

Now the deficit is another discussion entirely.

You want a recession? That's how you get a fucking recession.

Selfish as hell but me and my wife have been rooting for a recession so housing prices will drop to reasonable levels again. Another round of 8k dollar tax credits would be nice too. We were both fresh out of college the last go round and couldn't take advantage of the deals.

Maxim726X

If you're the 2-3% that can effectively do stock-timing and short-term trading, yeah, it may or may not be a good time to be in the stock market.

If you're almost anyone though and you're investing for your retirement and relatively young (<40 years old), this is as good of a time as any to be invested. Don't let fear-driven posts like kirblar's up there talk you out of investing for your retirement, people.

These people get it.

Seriously. My ETFs are lookin mighty fine right now... Yes, they'll stumble (and perhaps even plummet) but that's the way it works. In the end, I'll still come out way ahead.

KingV

I don't agree with withdrawing but I think everyone I see saying trump is wrecking the economy is serverly overestimating NAFTAs impact on the US. It will barely have an impact on the market.

Moreover, the corp tax cut would have a huge positive impact that would more than negate withdrawing from NAFTA.

Locally, it will definitely wreck the economy in certain places. Agriculture would be fucked.

Sean C

Tanking the economy will turn the people against somebody. They are confident they can direct that anger where they want it. And why wouldn't they be? They have already successfully sold bigger lies.
To the extent that Trump and the GOP has succeeded it's because they weren't in charge and the uninformed electorate tends to blame the incumbent president for anything they don't like. That dynamic is over, as the healthcare reform debate showed, so it's foolish for them to think that they could deflect the blame for Trump blowing up NAFTA (something he will trumpet as an accomplishment if it happens) elsewhere.

7Th

I don't think there is a single serious economist who agrees with this assessment.

Step 1: Withdraw from NAFTA
Step 2: Blame objectively worse economy on repercussions of having NAFTA in the first place.
Step 3: Renegotiate TFTA, Trump Free Trade Agreement, with all the same basic elements of NAFTA
Step 4: Economy improves, all hail Trump for TFTA.

numble

I don't think there is a single serious economist who agrees with this assessment.
I am not sure there have been any economists that have analyzed the comparison, but can you explain why you think economists disagree with such an assessment?

If the tariff rate shoots up from 0% under NAFTA to the MFN average of 2%, would it actually make things more expensive for importers whose tax rate has dropped from 35% to 15%?

RDreamer

Step 1: Withdraw from NAFTA
Step 2: Blame objectively worse economy on repercussions of having NAFTA in the first place.
Step 3: Renegotiate TFTA, Trump Free Trade Agreement, with all the same basic elements of NAFTA
Step 4: Economy improves, all hail Trump for TFTA.

I mean, I know Trump supporters are morons, but I really don't think this strategy would work at all. If things get suddenly worse there's no spin you can do to get the general public to not blame those in power.

Don't get me wrong I don't want us to withdraw from NAFTA. It's a net positive for us and it keeps stability in Mexico.

As far as your quote goes I'm
Not sure I follow.

My "back of the napkin" math:

A tax cut to 15% would put an extra 1.2 trillion in the economy each year.

NAFTA adds about 120 billion each year.

Deficit is another story. Any tax cut will have a proportional impact on revenue/deficit unless there is a corresponding spending cut.

Nrocinu777

Neo Member
Good. TPP and NAFTA withdrawal is the only thing good that has come out of the Trump admin.

Don't you live in Norway? Can you even explain in a lot of detail what the TPP and NAFTA is/does? Aren't you a berniebro dude that used to post stuff you knew nothing about and then usually having to be corrected by actual US posters? Does your dislike of the TPP and NAFTA come only from Bernie speaking against it?

To the extent that Trump and the GOP has succeeded it's because they weren't in charge and the uninformed electorate tends to blame the incumbent president for anything they don't like. That dynamic is over, as the healthcare reform debate showed, so it's foolish for them to think that they could deflect the blame for Trump blowing up NAFTA (something he will trumpet as an accomplishment if it happens) elsewhere.

They are in charge of Kansas, they ran it into the ground just about as badly as you could and they will still hold on to all of it.

KingV

Don't get me wrong I don't want us to withdraw from NAFTA. It's a net positive for us and it keeps stability in Mexico.

As far as your quote goes I'm
Not sure I follow.

My "back of the napkin" math:

A tax cut to 15% would put an extra 1.2 trillion in the economy each year.

NAFTA adds about 120 billion each year.

Deficit is another story. Any tax cut will have a proportional impact on revenue/deficit unless there is a corresponding spending cut.

Your math is off, corporate taxes are about 11% of government tax revenue. Government taxes are about $3.2 trillion per year.

Pretty sure you just made those numbers up because they are about 10x the actual impact.

Actual impact might be even worse as more individuals will likely try to restructure their earnings under business rules to take advantage of the lower rates. This is likely possible for the very rich.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom