• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White House says Trump will leave pro-LGBT Obama executive order intact

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt

I never thought Trump would put LGBT issues in much danger through any choice of his own. The only threat was if just didn't care enough to stop the others in his administration.

Doesn't change how awful he is overall. Someone can be bad and not literally the worst in every single way.

I can't think of this person as anything but evil now. I'm ashamed I didn't take this guy seriously and laughed at him years ago.

watershed

Banned
Trump also has a long history of taking credit for doing nothing.

Yeah exactly. All Trump did was decide to do nothing. Granted he could have chosen to do something terrible, but he instead chose to do nothing, period. This isn't a new EO to help the LGBTQ community. its just nothing, period.

theaface

Making a statement just to clarify that you won't be discriminating against a bunch of people based on their gender or sexual preferences is nothing to be celebrated. That shit should be totally automatic and go without saying. That something even needed to be said at all is the real tragedy here.

Apathy

makes me wonder about that tweet that mentioned the white house "leaks" balloons to see how they they play out and if they are too horrible they kinda don't go with them.

The Ummah

Banned
Last two weeks have been so bad that Trump not doing something horrible is enough for some to say see, he did something positive

Edit: Broken link on mobile, had an appropriate ad on the top of this post and can't get it to link.

Anyway, it's been a long couple weeks. I'm still not convinced this is over, but...I'll take it? Ugh.

Koyuga

Trump is just waiting until everyone calms down. We need to keep pressuring them about it so they don't change their mind. Don't give them an inch.

UberTag

Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #76: "Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies."
There's enough chaos being fuelled that merits legitimate outrage that we don't need these trial balloon / gaslighting stunts on top of it.
These are all forms of terrorizing the populace and I'm already tired of it.

squidyj

he's probably only doing it because it's the opposite of what pence wants and he wants to assert dominance or some other insane bullshit.

Mr Swine

Banned
I don't trust him. I could see Trump creating a EO to lump LGBTQ, minority's and others together and outright strip their rights and make them a easy target for people :/

Ashes

Banned
Good on him.

People are complicated. Good people can be racist; and racists can help old ladies cross the street.

This administration may be running a shit show, but if this bears out, it's not 100% omnishambles at least.

mAcOdIn

he's probably only doing it because it's the opposite of what pence wants and he wants to assert dominance or some other insane bullshit.
I don't think that's fair. I hate Donald Trump. But, he's obviously got some kind of convictions of his own. He's doing nearly exactly what he said he'd do. Like it or not I think we need to accept the fact that he's going to attempt to do most of which he said he'd do. I don't know why, I don't know if he cares about the LBGT community or not, I dunno, but it seems unfair to me to assume these are spiteful decisions made on a whim.

Nydius

Maybe I'm just too cynical but my take away from this was he's basically booting the issue to Congress where he probably knows there's at least half a dozen varieties of the 'Religious Freedom Act' bills (or cobbled together amendments they'll try to push onto other bills) are floating around.

He can't be so ignorant as to know the base who voted him in are the same people who tend to be overwhelmingly anti-LGBTQ. Just can't help but feel he wants Congress to take the heat on this one.

danthefan

We should all be relieved and pleased at this.

But you just can't believe he won't sneak something insidious into one of his other EOs that'll undo the one he isn't repealing.

Do you have any proof?

You should have to prove he is, not that he isn't.

Razmos

. It uses stronger language than any Republican president has before in favor of equal legal protections for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people
I imagine that isnt very hard to do, I doubt previous republican presidents have spoken up much in favour of LGBT people

Bleepey

Hypernormalisation. Every 5 shitty thing he does he does 1 good thing. Last week was destroying TPP this week is gay fights. He may talk mining jobs or even black issues next week. Calling it now.

Rootbeer

Banned
Relieved to have at least one issue left alone (for now.) so we have more energy to focus on some of the others which already are requiring the fullest attention.

And as a member of the LGBTQ community, after we've been making some important strides in recent years I frankly am not mentally prepared to have to go through the fleecing of our earnest work. So my mental state is really appreciative.

I'm curious how people like Milo would have reacted if it had been the opposite, though. Wonder what sort of mental gymnastics he'd come up with to go along with it.

Zelias

Banned
Still don't trust him. Let's see what he does in the future, or when his party moves to block LGBTQ rights under the guise of religious freedom.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Relieved to have at least one issue left alone (for now.) so we have more energy to focus on some of the others which already are requiring the fullest attention.

And as a member of the LGBTQ community, after we've been making some important strides in recent years I frankly am not mentally prepared to have to go through the fleecing of our earnest work. So my mental state is really appreciative.

I'm curious how people like Milo would have reacted if it had been the opposite, though. Wonder what sort of mental gymnastics he'd come up with to go along with it.

It's ok to feel relieved, but I think we need to remain guarded, and united with other vulnerable groups. I'm not sure one can be too cynical when it comes to Trump and his administration, but the idea of splitting the left via 'pet' minorities that are left vulnerable afterward, springs to mind. Gay people have too recent a history to feel complacent.

Also: we have to remember this is all coming from an administration for whom double-speak is the norm. For whom the immigration ban isn't about Islam. Etc. etc. It's not hard to imagine Trump reconciling 'protection of gay people' with other actions in the future that do the complete opposite. Orders can always be 'preserved' while having exceptions added to them, for example. I don't want to get too far ahead of myself or to be too pessimistic or negative here, but I just say all that to say that we shouldn't be complacent.

how? He has been supportive of lbgt rights. i'm sure the people around him will try to push him the other way. he's clearly not a homophobe, obviously his party tries to push him on their shitty agendas but its never seemed like he's made it a focal point to really push that fuckery

he uses everything to stroke his own ego so i didn't see a reason to consider that a red flag imo

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald-trump-marriage-equality_us_56af63c8e4b00b033aafb496

His VP is Pence. I'm kinda done thinking this dude was ever pandering bullshit for votes, and who he picks for SCOTUS will be very telling. (for a variety of issues)

Polk

Does Trump need EO to undo Obama's EO or can Congress vote it out?
If the latter, I assume they will do that.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Hypernormalisation. Every 5 shitty thing he does he does 1 good thing. Last week was destroying TPP this week is gay fights. He may talk mining jobs or even black issues next week. Calling it now.
Indeed.
He has already dwtainrd American citizens, and banned Muslims from coming into the country based on their nationality and religion.

This doesnt change anything.

EGM1966

All it means I suspect is the analysts predicted a way bigger shitstorm than even Trump and his cabal would want to endure and they've shelved any such move for the moment.

I'd stay pretty vigilant if I was in that demographic right now. Very vigilant.

Koomaster

Even if he doesn't target the LGBT community directly and even if he doesn't go through with a Religious Freedoms EO/bills, don't think that gives anyone a right to be complacent about this administration. He's negatively affected so many other areas of the gov't and citizens that it's more than enough to stay fired up and fight him, the administration and our representatives.

And yes with a completely controlled republican gov't I would be gobsmacked if we didn't see Religious Freedom type legislation being drafted and pushed through. It's too much of a juicy fruit that plays to the heart of their base for them to ignore. Trump doesn't have to sign an EO to make something like this a reality as it will happen on its own.

Edit
All it means I suspect is the analysts predicted a way bigger shitstorm than even Trump and his cabal would want to endure and they've shelved any such move for the moment.

I'd stay pretty vigilant if I was in that demographic right now. Very vigilant.
I would see it more of a power play than anything. Right now Trump is seen as doing all the heavy lifting. Was probably told to save something like this for senators to draft to help shore up their numbers for midterm reelections. Can't really be in total power when the people under you propping your administration up are losing their jobs. It's 100% a game for these people and they will make no move against Trump so long as they are guaranteed reelection. So every so often he needs to throw them a bone so they look "good" too.

MechaX

Nah, I don't trust him at all at this point.

He'll either try to sneak LGBT discrimination in some seemingly unrelated EO by the end of the week, or he'll just change his mind because he flip flops on fucking everything and just goes with what Bannon tells him to do.

Ouroboros

almost all of these posts are either "i hope so" or "i don't believe it".

I'm in the latter camp. I don't believe it for a second. But I hope I'm wrong.

RPGCrazied

Yeah, no. I don't believe this for one second, specially so with Pence as his VP who once said he believes in converting gay people straight via shock therapy.

driggonny

Banned
Don't believe it.

Trump has shown time and time again that he is willing to straight up lie and say anything he feels like to brush off criticism. Doesn't mean his actions will reflect it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom