• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White House says Trump will leave pro-LGBT Obama executive order intact

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol.

The blow back would have been too much, lets wait and see how the remainder of his term plays out, still 4 years left to flip flop on things

They're probably doing it to see if they can splinter the resistance, thinking if they do this maybe some LGBTQ supporters might decide to stop protesting or have groups fight amongst each other with purity tests.

I can only imagine if that doesn't work, they'll switch back to more aggressive restrictions on LGBTQ rights

Keasar

TbaTueN.jpg

Pay attention to his actions not his words. States are going to try to do their own shit now and you can bet your ass Sessions and Trump will stand back and just say "States rights, you're on your own."

Aurongel

Republican support for gay marriage has been rising at a fair clip so the total support for it on a national scale is much higher than some of the other EO he's been pushing.

We won't see an overturn of Obergefell but we will see EO's passed that enable discrimination. This will still be a net loss for the movement but not a total regressive calamity.

Hunter S.

He was liberal most of his life. I suspect in a lot of ways he might be socially liberal, in economic ways, he is about the rich getting rich and more powerful and is clearly Republican as hell.

Arkeband

Banned
So between this statement and the Muslim ban, they're really angling for that 'Muslims are the REAL enemy of the gays' rhetoric.

JC Lately

Clever bastard. Defangs the one of greatest criticisms against him, makes people who bring it up look like fearmongers who are best ignored, and after a weak of utter lunacy, actually takes a reasonable position that might get people to drop their guard.

The biggest mistake we can make is to assume Trump is an idiot.

Cetra

That's fine. None of the information yesterday suggested Trump was going to undo Obama's Executive Order on Federal LGBT workers. Leaving that in place is good, yes.

But, it doesn't prevent him from issuing an Executive Order for so-called Religeois Liberty. That's what all the reports yesterday were talking about. And I can hear Trump defend it now. "it's not Anti-LGBT, it's pro-Religeous Liberty!" Just the kind of bullshit double talk he's done since announcing his cantidacy.

He was liberal most of his life. I suspect in a lot of ways he might be socially liberal, in economic ways, he is about the rich getting rich and more powerful and is clearly Republican as hell.

It seems like you've got mixed up in time. These kinds of posts are supposed to come from moderates directly after the election in an attempt white wash Trump, not after this week where we have action he's taken to contradict this idea.

Hunter S.

Mark my words... the protests will dwindle even further when he legalizes marijuana (to make money)

He seems more likely to do this than Clinton ever did. Clinton wrote in Wiki links that she would never legalize marijuana. Trump has said he never would, but he is a money before people guy, so the monitory incentive of legal marijuana could push him to legalize. Especially, when California and Massachusetts add a huge amount of capital to the pot. We will see when the marijuana industry grows greatly beyond just medical in those states. The amount of money adding to the countries economic health will only make his greedy mouth salivate.

Hunter S.

It seems like you've got mixed up in time. These kinds of posts are supposed to come from moderates directly after the election in an attempt white wash Trump, not after this week where we have action he's taken to contradict this idea.
NoTice I said in a lot of ways... some social issues he easily might be socially liberal. There is a broad spectrum of social issues.

I think it's unhealthy for any of us to take small victories in any of the positive aspects of this administration, no matter what. We should never be thankful that they've decided to leave 'X Human Rights' in tact, or that they might wobble on climate change, or that he might decide not to bother with his Hate Wall. The damage from words has been done. The people he's surrounded himself with have absolutely no regard for LGBT rights, and most have spoken disdain for them.

Misha

Banned
That's fine. None of the information yesterday suggested Trump was going to undo Obama's Executive Order on Federal LGBT workers. Leaving that in place is good, yes.

But, it doesn't prevent him from issuing an Executive Order for so-called Religeois Liberty. That's what all the reports yesterday were talking about. And I can hear Trump defend it now. "it's not Anti-LGBT, it's pro-Religeous Liberty!" Just the kind of bullshit double talk he's done since announcing his cantidacy.
im still expecting FADA

Great decision by President Trump.
he didn't do anything.......

zethren

Banned
I think it's unhealthy for any of us to take small victories in any of the positive aspects of this administration, no matter what. We should never be thankful that they've decided to leave 'X Human Rights' in tact, or that they might wobble on climate change, or that he might decide not to bother with his Hate Wall. The damage from words has been done. The people he's surrounded himself with have absolutely no regard for LGBT rights, and most have spoken disdain for them.

My sentiments exactly.

rjinaz

This is where i am at too. Nothing to Stop Trump from attempting to allow people to choose not to serve people based on their "religious freedom". I know it's coming, it's just a matter of when.

I do not believe in absolutes and in completely labeling anyone into a corner. I do not believe the world is all doom and gloom.

Use the current information we have to judge him, not some fantasy you've conjured up. The idea that Trump is "liberal in a lot of ways" is pure fantasy that moderates were peddling after election to quiet down (actual) liberal dissent. Please stop trying to continue to peddle it, no one is buying it.

Hunter S.

Use the current information we have to judge him, not some fantasy you've conjured up. The idea that Trump is "liberal in a lot of ways" is pure fantasy that moderates were peddling after election to quiet down (actual) liberal dissent. Please stop trying to continue to peddle it, no one is buying it.

You are unwilling to say he might be socially liberal on some issues. This makes you about as flexible on viewpoints as diamond.

Alavard

You are unwilling to say he might be socially liberal on some issues. This makes you about as flexible on viewpoints as diamond.

I mean, Trump has repeated many, many times that he believes the marriage equality decision by the Supreme Court was a mistake. He campaigned on that.

Misha

Banned
He promised to sign FADA, he supported HB2 as a states rights thing, and has said he will put someone on the Supreme Court who will repeal same sex marriage.

Most of the time he says something positive about LGBT people it's about protecting us from muslims.

Hunter S.

Indeed, I'm much less likely to change my views when they are contrary to all available evidence.

No one asked you to. I just think you are not willing to consider other viewpoints other than your own. Of course, I am only basing this off the posts you have written to me.

If he actually cared about LGBTQ+ peoples, he wouldn't have a staunch opponent as his VP or supported FADA. If he actually cared about civil rights and justice for marginalized ethnicity, he wouldn't have Sessions as his AG. If he actually cared about women he wouldn't have signed the abortion gag order. He can say he's socially liberal all he wants but when he surrounds himself with and gives power to people who are in fact not just not liberal but actively abusive & destructive to the rights of others, a statement means nothing.

I mean, Trump has repeated many, many times that he believes the marriage equality decision by the Supreme Court was a mistake. He campaigned on that.

Compeletly True

The Advocate said:
Trump did not back off his previous promise to Fox News during the campaign trail that he would appoint justices interested in overriding Obergefell. Trump even released a list of potential court nominees, many of which oppose same-sex marriage. In October, during the second presidential debate, Trump said he was interested in appointing Supreme Court justices "in the mold" of Antonin Scalia, who was known for his anti-LGBT record.

"[Marriage equality] has been ruled upon. It has been there. If I'm elected I would be very strong in putting certain judges on the bench that maybe could change things, but they have a long way to go," he told Fox News on Sunday. "I disagree with the court in that it should have been a states' rights issue."

People need to stop giving this asshole points for things he either hasn't done

slit

Don't believe it.

Trump has shown time and time again that he is willing to straight up lie and say anything he feels like to brush off criticism. Doesn't mean his actions will reflect it.

I believe it. Trump is going to try and divide and conquer. That's not to say at a later date the administration won't change their stance but he probably won't sign any EO's surrounding this for now.

He'll verbally support LGBT while also giving busineses "religious freedom." He can deflect to statements like this one then so defenders can believe they aren't being "anti-gay" for doing it.

He promised to sign FADA, he supported HB2 as a states rights thing, and has said he will put someone on the Supreme Court who will repeal same sex marriage.

That, and the only time he ever brought up defense of LGBT during his campaign was under the context of trying establish the Muslim community as our enemy.

Hunter S.

Most of the time he says something positive about LGBT people it's about protecting us from muslims.

The original post was about some social issues. Not just gay rights. Hypothetical like the opinions of everybody else. A person writes even one slightly neutral thing about Donald Trump on this site and people interpret you as pro Trump. No wonder I have never posted much here lately about politics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom