• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White Knight Chronicle Site Updated w/ message from Mr. Hino~

Awntawn

mattiewheels said:
i think you have it backwards, the graphics are amazing and the artstyle is pretty conservative/generic. not in all parts, though. the tentacle beast thing was awesome, but style still feels too generic for a level 5 game to me.

don't get me wrong though, probably the best generic jrpg ever made.
Generic Medieval Fantasy Where Characters Transform Into Giant Beasts

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
the shots are a mixed bag, and the art style seems to have changed a bit or at least the staging or perhaps early lighting or something, or maybe it's just bad publicity shots ?

For now, looks like most other next gen RPGs - well, there or there abouts.

DCharlie said:
the shots are a mixed bag, and the art style seems to have changed a bit or at least the staging or perhaps early lighting or something, or maybe it's just bad publicity shots ?

For now, looks like most other next gen RPGs - well, there or there abouts.

it's all to build the hype back up by releasing compressed images and then want to blow you guys away at TGS is all.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
mattiewheels said:
i think you have it backwards, the graphics are amazing and the artstyle is pretty conservative/generic. not in all parts, though. the tentacle beast thing was awesome, but style still feels too generic for a level 5 game to me.

don't get me wrong though, probably the best generic jrpg ever made.

The artstyle is fine.

The problem is that other games like Valkyria Chronicles, FF13, and many other RPG's set the bar so damn high that any other game's character designs look generic.

Hcoregamer00 said:
The artstyle is fine.

The problem is that other games like Valkyria Chronicles, FF13, and many other RPG's set the bar so damn high that any other game's character designs look generic.

not sure about valkyrie...but no jrpg has set the graphics bar so damn high yet....ffxiii and versus will probably look much better than anything else when they are released.

DCharlie

it's all to build the hype back up by releasing compressed images and then want to blow you guys away at TGS is all.

i could accept that if we hadn't seen better shots and better videos of the game running over 12 months ago.

Perhaps it just has had a change of art direction or they let the new intern loose?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Hcoregamer00 said:
The artstyle is fine.

now that i think the video i saw, and about the state of jrpgs, i'm kinda glad that they've adopted the more traditional western rpg look (albeit with anime characters). it'll be refreshing to not see these guys not go straight over the top with some typical modern jrpg conventions (i DID see a glowing mechanized gauntlet though, so who knows for sure).

DCharlie said:
i could accept that if we hadn't seen better shots and better videos of the game running over 12 months ago.

Perhaps it just has had a change of art direction or they let the new intern loose?

yeah well after almost a year absent they probably thought you guys would have forgotten about the game and threw away all the images and things you heard about the game and they are starting over :lol

i believe in Level 5. I believe that their gameplay and animation will be fluid and flow so perfect. and the graphics will be make you go wow [at least when you see the new CG footage]

I can understand the art gripe, but I dunno how people can say it doesnt look damn good in general (technically). Its a really pretty game in motion.

I bet the new feature will be an online coop mode of some sort.

abacab driver said:
I can understand the art gripe, but I dunno how people can say it doesnt look damn good in general (technically). Its a really pretty game in motion.

the textures of the knights look blegh actually. overall if they didn't zoom in so much the game will look good.

I'm just waiting to see the CG mostly since i loved the TGS 2007 one. ;3

DCharlie

i don't think anyone is saying it looks disasterous, it looks fine - i think the comments hinting towards it being the first real next gen looking JRpg are , well, pretty ignorant of how the JRPGS already out there to be frank (IF we are basing it on the new shots/footage)

DCharlie said:
i don't think anyone is saying it looks disasterous, it looks fine - i think the comments hinting towards it being the first real next gen looking JRpg are , well, pretty ignorant of how the JRPGS already out there to be frank (IF we are basing it on the new shots/footage)

Yeah, personally Im not saying that at all....just happy that they are aiming to make this a genuinely epic jrpg...how many of them has there been this gen??? Only LO...

I love how every white knight thread has a slightly different subtitle translation. Especially since they are mostly from the same 2-3 people. You'd think you guys could agree on something.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
It looks pretty dull to me, like they are trying to made the art style look western and failing. the pink haired chick looks ridiculously out of place, like she is making a cameo from a long lost level-5 game that got canceled or something.

I hope they fix the combat, what I saw from the vids in GT was pretty underwhelming and crappy looking. the animation was stiff. when the dude playing launched the enemy into the air, and the character started whacking the enemy, it looked like the character was being held by an invisible wire like a bad action movie. the 'mech' combat look janky and didn't really stand out for me, specially with the lol collision detection.

Yet, the game is an RPG with seamless battles... so I can't help but be interested in it. too bad the developer doesn't really give much confidence, but here's hoping Hino actually comes through!

rykomatsu

pancakesandsex said:
I love how every white knight thread has a slightly different subtitle translation. Especially since they are mostly from the same 2-3 people. You'd think you guys could agree on something.

It was difficult to translate the subtitle w/o context

Hino said in the interview in famitsu that an event in the past (assumed to be the pulse in the subtitle) is awakening again in the present. Ancient Pulse, Pulse from the Past, something along those lines would probably be the most appropriate translation at this point...it's not as cut and dry as one might think...though, probably should have left it as Ancient Pulse...oh well...

Didn't notice this before, but the website now says(?) next update TGS2008...so...no more new info for a few weeks folks :( unless they're just referring to a website update and not magazine articles....though website updates seem to come on the Fridays after game magazine info appears...

Stocka

Is there any realistic hope that the japanese version will include English subs? If it does I will totally buy a PS3 for it in Japan. Afterall the Japanese version of Lost Odyssey had English option...

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Error said:
It looks pretty dull to me, like they are trying to made the art style look western and failing. the pink haired chick looks ridiculously out of place, like she is making a cameo from a long lost level-5 game that got canceled or something.
Noticed this as well. It looks like they were trying to meld western artstyle with a hint of Dragon Quest.

Hunahan

Banned
Error said:

I hope they fix the combat, what I saw from the vids in GT was pretty underwhelming and crappy looking. the animation was stiff. when the dude playing launched the enemy into the air, and the character started whacking the enemy, it looked like the character was being held by an invisible wire like a bad action movie. the 'mech' combat look janky and didn't really stand out for me, specially with the lol collision detection.
Pretty much.

I wouldn't worry about the graphics. Level 5 always has top-notch tech.

I would worry about that terrible demo they had at last year's TGS.

Pretty and boring is still a bad combination.

nelsonroyale said:
EPIC

massively hyped for this
Oh?

I thought you had decided that you don't like RPGs outside of Final Fantasy? :lol

lupinko

nelsonroyale said:
not sure about valkyrie...but no jrpg has set the graphics bar so damn high yet....ffxiii and versus will probably look much better than anything else when they are released.

Valkyria Valkyria Valkyria Valkyria Valkyria Valkyria

Spell it right already, jeez.

yes, I am Valkyria fandude. XD

DCharlie

etc etc EPIC how many of them has there been this gen??? Only LO...

you've mentioned the word EPIC so much lately!

you're going to have to define exactly what you mean by something being 'epic'?

what makes LO epic, but not Blue Dragon, Mass Effect, Tales, Crusty Smell, etc. ?

also - please note - Epic and mega epic are translator tones in some cases i think ! :D

Speevy

Banned
There hasn't been one JRPG this gen. with production values and gameplay design that is truly standard-setting, a whole generation above what's already on the PS2.

So far almost everything is a throwback, which isn't bad if your game is called Dragon Quest, but not every throwback can be Dragon Quest.

DCharlie said:
you've mentioned the word EPIC so much lately!

you're going to have to define exactly what you mean by something being 'epic'?

what makes LO epic, but not Blue Dragon, Mass Effect, Tales, Crusty Smell, etc. ?

also - please note - Epic and mega epic are translator tones in some cases i think ! :D

What I mean is the tone of the adventure....this game seems to be going for a large scale that resonates with me...epic is as in large scale encounters in large landscapes... Mass effect was pretty epic, thats why I said jrpg...crusty smell certainly doesnt have an epic feel though...BD seemed more in the vain of DQ, a whimsical shounen adventure....its just the feeling I get from this game...

Hunahan: FF is the only jrpg series I am guaranteed to purchase (apart from a chrono or xenogears sequel)...this game I'm interested in and a few others....if it turns out pretty damn poor, then I won't get it. I like what I've seen and read though

zurra

the music in that trailer... it gets me every time! hurry up and get it out here, sony!

*bows to Level5*

rykomatsu

DCharlie said:

Well, "Super big production RPG" just sounds plain dumb...might as well add some flair if it's going to sound dumb :p

DCharlie

Well, "Super big production RPG" just sounds plain dumb...might as well add some flair if it's going to sound dumb :p

well, i wasn't having a go - i assumed it was something along those lines, but i'm not sure super big production -would- be the same epic that Nelson is talking about.

I mean - Blue Dragon was a super big production RPG, but it's not Epic.

(I do get what nelson is saying , but i think it's hard to tell the games Epicness at the moment. Though the year delay does bode well for it's general size/girth/depth)

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
"epic" is another fucking word that has been shat out of too many people's mouths this generation.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
speedpop said:
"epic" is another fucking word that has been shat out of too many people's mouths this generation.

Next thing you know, they'll start using the word 'innovative'! :X

DCharlie

i know
EPIC GEARS OF WAR....
EPIC UNREAL TOURNAMENT 3...
blah blah blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

when will it end! ;)

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Looks nice, but i expected the graphics to be on the same level a 13 or so4...

Screens look great technically, and I'm digging the knights and the monsters. The character models aside from those and the main character look kinda meh to me, though. This game has the weakest artstyle of any Level 5 game, imo.

Aside from that, I think it will be their best title yet, and I'm so there day one :D

DCharlie

This game's better than sex.

:O you are playing already?
how is it?! Did you finish?
How long was it?

and once you've finished telling us about your crap sex, can you fill us in on the game ?

Shadow780

DCharlie said:
:O you are playing already?
how is it?! Did you finish?
How long was it?

and once you've finished telling us about your crap sex, can you fill us in on the game ?

Nope to all, but my statement still stands.

rykomatsu

makingmusic476 said:
Screens look great technically, and I'm digging the knights and the monsters. The character models aside from those and the main character look kinda meh to me, though. This game has the weakest artstyle of any Level 5 game, imo.

I dunno...I think Karla looks better than Renard atm :p

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
cw_sasuke said:
Looks nice, but i expected the graphics to be on the same level a 13 or so4...

lol, the only thing that's going to touch XIII is... well, Versus XIII!
And I'd say from what we've seen WKC is at least on the same level as SO4.
Maybe WKC just needs more bloom...

SRG01

Speevy said:
There hasn't been one JRPG this gen. with production values and gameplay design that is truly standard-setting, a whole generation above what's already on the PS2.

So far almost everything is a throwback, which isn't bad if your game is called Dragon Quest, but not every throwback can be Dragon Quest.

Pretty much. If Valkyria/White Knight don't do it for me, I'm going to buy a Wii/DS for my JRPG fix.

DCharlie said:
well, i wasn't having a go - i assumed it was something along those lines, but i'm not sure super big production -would- be the same epic that Nelson is talking about.

I mean - Blue Dragon was a super big production RPG, but it's not Epic.

(I do get what nelson is saying , but i think it's hard to tell the games Epicness at the moment. Though the year delay does bode well for it's general size/girth/depth)

heh, I'm just hyped based on what Level 5 have stated they are going for...the director has specifically said they want to make the game feel really epic...thats something I support. Heh, DQ8 is the only game of theres (with Enix of course) that Ive played. They've just hit on something that interests me with this one... The overall story seems very cliched, yet orientation of the story is one thing, implementation and personality is another...

You know, if I actually had a 360, I would have probably bought at least a couple between BD, LO, IU and Vesparia...but this is definietly the jrpg that interests me the most so far...

Top Bottom