• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White Knight Chronicle Site Updated w/ message from Mr. Hino~

jj984jj said:
"I don't need to, are you even listening? Screens from a year ago are on the scan that was released this week. More than half the images in this thread from that trailer are on it. They might have tweaked the GUI a bit, but visually it looks no different."

See. This is what I'm talking about. How can you judge what the entire game will look like based on a few scans and screengrabs? You say it doesn't look any diffferent visually from the trailer, but you're basing this off static images. You can't know for certain if animation, framerate, lighting, and everything else that requires motion has been improved or not. That, and maybe the areas of the game that these screengrabs have been taken from are some of the least impressive areas... and maybe not. I have no idea, but the point is, I think it's too soon to judge the game technically as of just yet.

Loudninja

cvkpaladin said:
See. This is what I'm talking about. How can you judge what the entire game will look like based on a few scans and screengrabs? You say it doesn't look any diffferent visually from the trailer, but you're basing this off static images. You can't know for certain if animation, framerate, lighting, and everything else that requires motion has been improved or not. That, and maybe the areas of the game that these screengrabs have been taken from are some of the least impressive areas... and maybe not. I have no idea, but the point is, I think it's too soon to judge the game technically as of just yet.

Look at the people who are doing it,its not surprising.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Who cares? Seeing both LO and IU in motion is like getting your eyes stabbed. My only hope is that WKC runs at a stable framerate.

Jonnyram

sp0rsk said:
Who cares? Seeing both LO and IU in motion is like getting your eyes stabbed. My only hope is that WKC runs at a stable framerate.
Judging by DQVIII, I'd say Level-5 are happy to turn vsync off anyway.

Darkpen

Banned
sp0rsk said:
I haven't seen extensive high-res footage of LO to make any judgement on that (let alone any hands-on time), but I watched the first hour of IU's gameplay (thanks to Gamersyde), and quite frankly, I couldn't help but think of Shane's infamous "looks like a dreamcast game" remark that he throws around every now and then. On one hand, after the first hour, I'm honestly interested in where the story goes, having watched an hour's worth for story investment, but on the other hand, the combat looks janky, and that shit where you can destroy items or chests is obnoxious and stupid. I swear there was another RPG that did the same thing, but I don't remember what. Maybe KOTOR, but at least in that, there was a lock picking feat.

Meanwhile, I still think Eternal Sonata is a pretty game that doesn't deserve the "it looks like a dreamcast game" remark.

But that aside, I'm still waiting before I make judgement on WKC. That first trailer was all kinds of awesome (though the henshin part was cheesy... until the robot appeared). Then they released more screens, and the faces made me go "wtf." I just hope they make the game's visual presentation as consistently stunning as that first trailer, and then some. Otherwise, color me disappointed.

Jonnyram said:
Judging by DQVIII, I'd say Level-5 are happy to turn vsync off anyway.
woah, a PS2 game with tearing? I've never heard of such a thing.

But seriously though, the game's quality remains to be seen. I don't see why some of you are downplaying it so much, causing other people to try and defend it.

And Jonny... Tales of Vesperia? Really? Artistically? Really?

icecream

Public Health Threat
Awntawn said:
Not to mention virtually static camera angles
In Lost Odyssey? Did you not use the right joystick?

While the graphics of this game are no FFXIII or SO4, it doesn't have to be. Level-5 simply needs to make a solid J-RPG with good gameplay comparable to other J-RPGs currently on the market.

And what's with the complaints about the artstyle? The characters are one of the things that appeal most to me about the game.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
2.jpg

It's that Level-5 magic! :D can't wait!

kevm3

Viewing that last screen gives me the feeling I used to get from the SNES rpgs. Looks like the magic is finally coming back. I didn't reallly enjoy rpgs on PS2 all that much. There were some good ones, but didn't give me the feeling I got in the PS1, SNES days. This looks like it'll bring that feeling back. In terms of graphics, It's kind of like the later SNES RPGS finally having their 3d equivalent.

thuway

kevm3 said:
Viewing that last screen gives me the feeling I used to get from the SNES rpgs. Looks like the magic is finally coming back. I didn't reallly enjoy rpgs on PS2 all that much. There were some good ones, but didn't give me the feeling I got in the PS1, SNES days. This looks like it'll bring that feeling back. In terms of graphics, It's kind of like the later SNES RPGS finally having their 3d equivalent.
It reminded me of Chrono Trigger meets Star Wars :D.

Dascu

How exactly do the "Knight Transformations" work? Do they have a significant effect on the gameplay or are they just fancy power-ups?

kevm3

thuway said:
It reminded me of Chrono Trigger meets Star Wars :D.

I would really love for Square to make a new Chrono Trigger... Also, why hasn't Capcom made a next-gen Breath of Fire yet?

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Dascu said:
How exactly do the "Knight Transformations" work? Do they have a significant effect on the gameplay or are they just fancy power-ups?

You all have rings, you combine their powers and BAM! MECHA CAPTA.... KNIGHT!

RpgN

If short load times, free camera movement and 60fps are really there with decent graphics, then I'm more than satisfied. The game looks good. What the hell is wrong with some people? Only FFXIII, Versus and maybe SO4 could top this.

Ricker

For all you non 360 owners that bitch about Lost Odyssey I just hope,hope that WKC is as epic as LO was,you guys are in for a treat.I hope it turns out great but it's hard to tell from cut-scene screenshots.

manzo

Lagunamov said:
Technically: Enchanted arms.

The screenshots really give the vibe of Enchanted Arms.

Still, I don't care how the game looks. Just give me an epic RPG on PS3 and I'm happy.

hirokazu

So this is out on Christmas Day. Any announcement on when it'll be released outside Japan? My PS3 is starving for next/this-gen RPG love and all I can feed it is Life with PlayStation for 6 hours a day. :(

manzo

hirokazu said:
So this is out on Christmas Day. Any announcement on when it'll be released outside Japan? My PS3 is starving for next/this-gen RPG love and all I can feed it is Life with PlayStation for 6 hours a day. :(

You poor thing. May I recommend you a 360? :(

AndyD

aka andydumi
Hmm, could the Playstation only secret feature be PSP gameplay. It certaily fits in the PS only and also in the accesibility perspective.

Wollan

andydumi said:
Hmm, could the Playstation only secret feature be PSP gameplay. It certaily fits in the PS only and also in the accesibility perspective.
Well apparently that's the developer quote (1 year ago) from the other thread. I guess the game has a module of some sort you can upload to your PSP. Since Level 5 said WKC can be enjoyed by children as well it's most likely not anything combat orientated. Maybe a alchemy game that benefits your items and inventory.

Ranger X

Seriously, i'm not into traditional JRPGs since FF10. I love Dark Cloud 2 though -- but it was different.

After that i tried to love quite any games, FF12, Rogue Galaxy, Dragon Quest 8 but i failed and sold them all.

NOW, this one game here is exciting the little FF kid in me and it's really hitching: Should it be like the last traditionnal JRPG i should try?

Wollan

Ranger X said:
Should it be like the last traditional JRPG i should try?
What appeals me about it is that it's non traditional. It continues the path that Dark Cloud & FF12 tracked trying to escape the jrpg norm. The last what I would call traditional jrpg (mechanics originating from the limitations of gaming in the 80's) I actually enjoyed to the end was FF8 and that was 99. Open worlds, real time battles on the field, just as functional in sp as in mp, Japan needs to embrace this fully.

f@luS

More than a member.
Tom Penny said:
I'm going to go on a limb and say this will be the best JRPG released this year.
Imho it will be the 1st AAA JRPG of this gen. So far we had average-good jrpg (LO , blue dragon, ToV, ETernal sonata) this one could be the 1st real great one

EinSof

I think people are mixing up "good graphics" with art style. FFXIII is realistically rendered so the objectivity of "better graphics" is obvious because of its realistic nature. You can't really compare WKC to the FFXIII and FFXIIIvs (especially since we have seen gameplay images of Versus).

The same goes for SO. The only in-game image I could find to compare (at least I think it is an in-game image) is this:

http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/...screens-20080610071104476.html?page=mediaFull

From the looks of it, it is realistic too.

WKC is very cartoony, even if it is not toon-shaded with outlines. You see a much higher use of unrealistic saturated colors. Much more stronger reds, greens, blues, with a lot less emphasis on shading add to the visual quality, but instead doing most of it through textures. I guess the disappointment is that It doesn't look visually impressive because there is little to no normal maps, the colors are way too saturated, and with more diffuse lighting. The other thing is that WKC is more seemless than the other games, going from combat to world-traveling. Its easier to re-focus the quality-points of your rendering engine if the only thing you have to render are the characters, with an un-dynamic background (which is probably what will happen to SO). What I am impressed with WKC are some of the lighting effects, such as there seems to be multiple key lights are characters causing some interesting color-bleeding along the folds of the cloths.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
How can anyone who has seen some of the gameplay not see that this is a great looking RPG? In motion is moves great and looks almost cinema quality. And the art style looks unique but how can anyone say generic when they really haven't seen anything on this game but select trailers and screens. There's gonna be some bitter tears once people get their hands on this. Unless they're too stubborn to admit that this game will be epic.

Ranger X

Wollan said:
What appeals me about it is that it's non traditional. It continues the path that Dark Cloud & FF12 tracked trying to escape the jrpg norm. The last what I would call traditional jrpg (mechanics originating from the limitations of gaming in the 80's) I actually enjoyed to the end was FF8 and that was 99. Open worlds, real time battles on the field, just as functional in sp as in mp, Japan needs to embrace this fully.

Well, what i call "traditional" there is a bit larger. It's every JRPG that isn't ARPG or SRPG, or whatever variant.

This one here feels pretty ARPG ala Rogue Galaxy but with better battles. I'm interested but i have this bad taste in my mouth with JRPGs last gen and this gen that just felt like a long and unfinisheable chore... :(

Tom Penny

f@luS said:
Imho it will be the 1st AAA JRPG of this gen. So far we had average-good jrpg (LO , blue dragon, ToV, ETernal sonata) this one could be the 1st real great one

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. There aren't many AAA games period nevermind RPG's.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Tom Penny said:
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. There aren't many AAA games period nevermind RPG's.
This will be. Based on the developers pedigree and the budget they've been given. And it does look epic. Look at the quality of their CG, how many studios can get that close.

Defuser

LiquidMetal14 said:
This will be. Based on the developers pedigree and the budget they've been given. And it does look epic. Look at the quality of their CG, how many studios can get that close.
You never know.........you never know.....

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Wollan said:

Minus the multiplayer, you've just described Infinite Undiscovery.

A real breath of fresh air.

the game looks like shit. maybe a launch 360 game from 2005, sorry Level 5.
i could imagine, that even Sony doesn't like the development of the game but it's their last chance in nippon.

iceatcs

Oh my god!! It is best sweeter traditional graphic even for next-gen RPG.

I was so disappointment with ToV and UI gameplay, I hope it will improve.

solid2snake said:
i could imagine, that even Sony doesn't like the development of the game but it's their last chance in nippon.
Ugh...

solid2snake said:

please, just stop spreading bullshit.

Baha

I never noticed it before but two of the members in the party have their own giants/knights they can transform into.

Top Bottom