• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White Knight Chronicle Site Updated w/ message from Mr. Hino~

Error said:
FFXIII, SO4 and FFXIIIvs are the best looking JRPGs so far. WKC is not even close to those.

SO4 looks good....it wont look as good as the other two...the lighting and some of the high tech environments look really nice...the natural environments looked to have very little geometry etc....

Do agree it looks more impressive than this at this stage, but this game never shone in screens...it looks better in motion. Far more interested in this than SO4 though...

klee123

Watching the TGS vid again, shows that the game could potentially be really epic IMO.

Also, it would be awesome if the frog will return so we can create weapons!

It would be awesome if we can customize not only the weapons of the human characters, but also the White Knight itself.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
eXistor said:
This might be the one Level 5 game that doesn't disappoint! (Dragon Quest VIII doesn't count)
* Jeanne d'Arc
* Professor Layton

Disapoint you or gamers? I like rogue galaxy as wel but those two up there are of the highest quality especially Jeanne.

Cant wait for this game

I have a hard time believing this game will be bigger then Dark Cloud 2 in terms of content.
Completely finishing DC2 would take thousands of hours.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
solid2snake said:
the game looks like shit. maybe a launch 360 game from 2005, sorry Level 5.
i could imagine, that even Sony doesn't like the development of the game but it's their last chance in nippon.

/facepalm.

Wollan

Firewire said:
I would import it, but I'm afraid I wouldn't even be able to figure out the main menu.
I guess there will be some translations on gamefaqs or whatnot. Don't plan to finish the game with the import but should get plenty of hours in still I would think.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Wollan said:
I guess there will be some translations on gamefaqs or whatnot. Don't plan to finish the game with the import but should get plenty of hours in still I would think.

There will most certainly be a translation on gamefaqs, probably fairly soon after release as has happened countless times with other games.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
solid2snake said:
i could imagine, that even Sony doesn't like the development of the game but it's their last chance in nippon.
2uymw7o.jpg

rykomatsu

Kagari said:
There will most certainly be a translation on gamefaqs, probably fairly soon after release as has happened countless times with other games.

probably before i get a chance to play it :(
i might bring my PS3 to japan and buy a small TV to play on...

anaron

rykomatsu said:
that's the original trailer from TGS2007 and the same one that's posted on the website...?
I'am now aware. :lol I had a feeling I had seen it but wasn't exactly sure.

J-Rzez

Dascu said:
How exactly do the "Knight Transformations" work? Do they have a significant effect on the gameplay or are they just fancy power-ups?

Well, you transform into the white knight becoming a couple stories tall, a dragon appears and in a puff of smoke banners appear in it's hands with "fortitude" written in old Japanese on them. Then the tentacle rape QTE's begin.

Apparently it for some "epic" scaled boss battles last I read I think. Like in special fights? But it's supposed to be neat that you can still see the regular cast of players fighting below you? I'm not sure if that changed, I'm not sure if I don't remember it correctly considering it was so long ago we got info on this game.

I'm just amazed how little details we got from this game considering it is kinda high-profile in terms of who's making it. It was dead silence for like a year, now we have a release date.

Awntawn

icecream said:
In Lost Odyssey? Did you not use the right joystick?

While the graphics of this game are no FFXIII or SO4, it doesn't have to be. Level-5 simply needs to make a solid J-RPG with good gameplay comparable to other J-RPGs currently on the market.

And what's with the complaints about the artstyle? The characters are one of the things that appeal most to me about the game.
Hence the "virtually" ;p

And yeah, exactly ;o

There are a number of reasons why I'm looking forward to this game. For one, I'm still hoping deep down somewhere that after the extra time they'll get the game playing more like this again 3; Also, that music video trailer got me hyped, and some features that have been promised, such as the constant voiced chit-chat of your party as you walk around the map, etc.

Rest assured, if it doesn't deliver on those promises by TGS I'll be disappointed, but there's plenty of reason to at least look forward to what they have to show there besides just the way it looks.

solid2snake said:

you have no idea how glad i am that you're banned.

i reckon it looks great, and i seriously don't believe anyone can watch the cinematic trailer for the game and not want to play it right now

rykomatsu

BlazingDarkness said:
i reckon it looks great, and i seriously don't believe anyone can watch the cinematic trailer for the game and not want to play it right now

Some people were turned off by the "Henshin!" (Transform!) line by Renard in the cinematics and swore they'd never play it lol

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
rykomatsu said:
Some people were turned off by the "Henshin!" (Transform!) line by Renard in the cinematics and swore they'd never play it lol

Don't forget the GAF Level-5 hate.

ksamedi

I like the big characters and graphics of this title. It looks really good in motion too. At one point I thought this would be canned because it had too much production values for Level 5 but I'm glad all is fine.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
ksamedi said:
I like the big characters and graphics of this title. It looks really good in motion too. At one point I thought this would be canned because it had too much production values for Level 5 but I'm glad all is fine.

Heh. I almost thought it was cancelled too at one point. Glad to see that it wasn't.

Dascu

I want to like this game, but I hate the main character design and the White Knight transformation gameplay seems kind of shallow. If they can realize that artwork with the big "turtle-city" though... That would be really impressive. Looking forward to TGS to see more.

Dascu said:
I want to like this game, but I hate the main character design and the White Knight transformation gameplay seems kind of shallow. If they can realize that artwork with the big "turtle-city" though... That would be really impressive. Looking forward to TGS to see more.

Well luckily the main character is fully customizable, so you can make him look like.....anything

Loudninja

Angelus Errare said:
Well luckily the main character is fully customizable, so you can make him look like.....anything

No he is not, you can create your own character though, but you cannot customize the main dude.

Lightning

Banned
As long as the gameplay is enjoyable, I will love this game. The graphics are fine... there is no need for the over the top graphics of FFXIII because those graphics come at a significant cost both in dollars and production time. I would rather Square speed things along rather than flow the cash in extreme high end graphics just to appease the minority of graphic whores.

Gameplay is where I hold my concerns and maybe the story as well. :lol

Dascu said:

nothing has been revealed really on the transformation gameplay, so Im not sure how it can be shallow as of yet

KongRudi

Banned
Jonnyram said:
Technically: Lost Odyssey, Eternal Sonata
Artistically: Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata, Tales of Vesperia

The graphic engine in this game is average. The character design is nigh on terrible. The "mechs" are pretty neat and the concept art for the huge beasts was awesome. I'm looking forward to seeing how that concept art has been realised in game. So far, the only in-game shots/movies have been hugely underwhelming (a bunch of people standing around a monster, pummeling away a la FFXI, some running around fields, etc).

Noone in their right mind will ever take you seriously when you think you are able to decide that both Lost Odyssey and Eternal Sonata are technically superior to WKC, based upon movies and screenshots of WKC.

As for characther-design, Level 5 have allways have made good characters before.
I will be very surprised if this one suddenly should be different. :-/

Level 5 are probably one Japans most sought out developer, currently working for Nintendo (Prof Leyton) and Square Enix (DQIX), in addition to Sony (WKC), and they did not come in that position by making mediocre games; but very good ones.

I find it very hard to believe that Level 5 should suddenly make a game wich couldn't compare to any of those generally mediocre titles you just listed, with the exception of LO wich most people seemed to like. :)

rykomatsu

KongRudi said:
Level 5 are probably one Japans most sought out developer, currently working for Nintendo (Prof Leyton) and Square Enix (DQIX), in addition to Sony (WKC), and they did not come in that position by making mediocre games; but very good ones.

Rogue Galaxy wasn't well accepted in Japan from what I can tell...the US/euro version and subsequently the director's cut were vastly superior to the JPN version so depending on who you talk to, RG could have been considered mediocre :p

RpgN

Wollan said:
It's 30fps.

Ooops! That one slipped just for no reason. Sorry.

But still if they can achieve the other points they claim to do, it is very OMG! Though I am afraid that the game won't be received well. We haven't heard of it for so long and then BANG! The game will be released within 3 months. I'm not sure if fans are aware or if it's a good marketing tool for this kind of game.

eXistor said:
This might be the one Level 5 game that doesn't disappoint! (Dragon Quest VIII doesn't count)

What are you talking about? I just happen to be playing Dark Cloud at the moment, and it's a very nice game. Definitely great for its time. From what I have heard both Dark Chronicle, Jeanne d'Arc and the Professor Layton games are received well. I still have an unopened copy of Rogue Galaxy and Dragon Quest VIII. The latter is loved a lot and Rogue Galaxy has a few decent ideas as well according to many. Maybe you have different standards in games.

Error said:
FFXIII, SO4 and FFXIIIvs are the best looking JRPGs so far. WKC is not even close to those.

First of all, all the games you're listing are not even released yet. Secondly SE is always known as the graphics king. Don't expect Level 5 to do a better work. If they can have better graphics than the availabe RPGs at the moment, I'm more than glad. And thirdly we're not sure how good SO4 looks, at least not me.

Johann

KongRudi said:
Noone in their right mind will ever take you seriously when you think you are able to decide that both Lost Odyssey and Eternal Sonata are technically superior to WKC, based upon movies and screenshots of WKC.

As for characther-design, Level 5 have allways have made good characters before.
I will be very surprised if this one suddenly should be different. :-/

I find it very hard to believe that Level 5 should suddenly make a game wich couldn't compare to any of those generally mediocre titles you just listed, with the exception of LO wich most people seemed to like. :)

They are probably more popular for their technical prowess (contract work) than their game designing skills. They've only recently gotten a hit game with the Layton series due to having a new twist on a popular genre on the DS.

KongRudi

Banned
I tought Leyton is also contract work, Izumora Eleven (Soccer RPG) is the only game wich is all them, isn't it?
It's the only game of theirs, wich I don't know anything about, besides that it have gotten an Anime-show.. :-/

hirokazu

manzo said:
You poor thing. May I recommend you a 360? :(
You know, you are completely right. Except you never answered my question, LOL.

Anyone know if they've made any announcement on non-Japan release date?

Top Bottom