• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White Knight Chronicle Site Updated w/ message from Mr. Hino~

klee123

Game looks good and about the same as IU and LO I guess.

Don't see whats bad about the character designs tho. Personally I don't find it any worse than the ones in IU and LO.

As long as the gameplay is good, then it's fine by me.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

Darkpen

Banned
I just hope it looks great overall, though I do wish they had put more effort into how they're rendering the hair, and the way they're dealing with some of those faces look kind of last-gen.

Regardless, it looks pretty sweet so far. Can't wait for some full blown hd footage.

Jonnyram

AnimeTheme said:
Can you name any *existing* next-gen JRPGs that actually look good, or significantly better than WKC?
Technically: Lost Odyssey, Eternal Sonata
Artistically: Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata, Tales of Vesperia

The graphic engine in this game is average. The character design is nigh on terrible. The "mechs" are pretty neat and the concept art for the huge beasts was awesome. I'm looking forward to seeing how that concept art has been realised in game. So far, the only in-game shots/movies have been hugely underwhelming (a bunch of people standing around a monster, pummeling away a la FFXI, some running around fields, etc).

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Kagari said:
lol, the only thing that's going to touch XIII is... well, Versus XIII!
And I'd say from what we've seen WKC is at least on the same level as SO4.
Maybe WKC just needs more bloom...
SO4 is definitely closer to FFXIII than it is to this.

SolidSnakex said:
Who's hinting toward that?
nobody. its just dcharlie pulling stuff outta the air, so he can stir the pot some.

anyway, didn't this game have some sort of online component? or am i thinking or something else?

edit: why do these threads always turn to shit?

Jonnyram said:
Nice contribution there.
They both have superior poly count, lighting and textures. Care to raise me on that?

actually if you check the vids, I think this has better lighting than both those games....they have better textures though...as for polycount, how can you say? This seems to have bigger areas than both those games at least, as both were broken up with loading pretty often. Also, this game is going for large scale, I expect this to have a higher poly count than either... polycount is the last thing that can be commented on yet...

Also would say that IU looks technically superior to LO in some ways

One thing also, people seem to be hating on the original gameplay movies so much....but the original movies of LO were even worse...they were terrible, yet the game turned out to be fine from a gameplay perspective....it was obvious that they were also showing bare bones experience last time round

Awntawn

Jonnyram said:
Nice contribution there.
They both have superior poly count, lighting and textures. Care to raise me on that?
First you have to tell me honestly. Are you being serious, or are you just joking?

Wollan

Jonnyram said:
Nice contribution there.
Enclosed areas. Minute long loading times. Major framerate problems. LO is a 90s rpg locked inside Unreal 3 tech hell.

Askia47

Yikes, the PS3 can't catch a break with anything these days. Well i suppose thats life and the way it goes. Hopefully the game still shine when it releases. TGS show us something good.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Enclosed areas. Minute long loading times. Major framerate problems. LO is a 90s rpg locked inside Unreal 3 tech hell.

and it STILL looks as good as this... are you trying to help his point?!

rykomatsu

nelsonroyale said:
One thing also, people seem to be hating on the original gameplay movies so much....

the gameplay movies aren't on the updated site so...either they're embarassed about the gameplay, or the old gameplay movies aren't representative of how the game is now?

/shrug

Darkpen

Banned
Jonnyram said:
really? reaaaallly? REALLY???

I don't think so.

also, these two screens are made of win:

2.jpg

3.jpg

Reminiscent of FFXII, but in HD, which isn't a bad thing (though, quite frankly, FFXII itself deserves a PC or high-res port of somekind)

Awntawn

Wollan said:
Not to mention virtually static camera angles, and the fact that they don't even look that great.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think WKC looks particularly stunning either. It's a low-risk design from what I see, I'd expect it to run at 60fps for them to be able to get away with that. But those examples listed were just absolutely ridiculous. LO was an absolute mess technologically. For a game that looks like it does to not even be able to run at 30 frames per second is an absolute joke when you consider what other games are able to do with the same engine on the same hardware with 1/4th the number of discs.
DCharlie said:
and it STILL looks as good as this... are you trying to help his point?!
What do you mean "and it STILL"? Those are the sacrifices that that game had to make just to make it look even as good as it did. If White Knight ends up with a solid framerate with large areas and decent loading times, throw in the fact that we know it will feature a fully dynamic camera, even if it ends up looking exactly the same as Lost Odyssey, how the hell can you make the argument that LO is "technologically superior"?

And that being said, I wholeheartedly disagree with your "opinion" on strictly just the visual aesthetic as well. I'd go point by point but that would just shit up the thread even more. The bottom line is, the only argument against his points that would be on an equal level of "contribution" as his statements would be, "No they're not."

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
rykomatsu said:
the gameplay movies aren't on the updated site so...either they're embarassed about the gameplay, or the old gameplay movies aren't representative of how the game is now?

/shrug

It's been a year since it's been shown, things could have changed.

This is my first time ever seeing this trailer and as I was watching I felt like I was watching the end result of a Ultraman, Voltron, Godzilla and the Power Rangers orgy. With bad ass music.

rykomatsu

Dr. Acid Avatar said:
This is my first time ever seeing this trailer and as I was watching I felt like I was watching the end result of a Ultraman, Voltron, Godzilla and the Power Rangers orgy. With bad ass music.

after 3min as the white knight, renard starts emitting a beeping sound....

Darkpen

Banned
Awntawn said:
Not to mention virtually static camera angles, and the fact that they don't even look that great.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think WKC looks particularly stunning either. It's a low-risk design from what I see, I'd expect it to run at 60fps for them to be able to get away with that. But those examples listed were just absolutely ridiculous. LO was an absolute mess technologically. For a game that looks like it does to not even be able to run at 30 frames per second is an absolute joke when you consider what other games are able to do with the same engine on the same hardware with 1/4th the number of discs.
I agree. If anything, its far too early in the game to fairly compare all of these JRPGs from this generation so far. I say until Star Ocean and FFXIII comes out, all bets are off.

DCharlie

3.jpg

sorry - why is this screen being shown as "win" ?!?!

<shane> looks like a dreamcast game </shane>

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
FFXIII, SO4 and FFXIIIvs are the best looking JRPGs so far. WKC is not even close to those.

This is my favorite shot:

WKC4.jpg

Captured it myself along with some others, because the ones on the first page are full of fugly compression artifacts.

Please excuse the arrow. >_>

Jonnyram

Wollan said:
You've played LO. You've played WKC.
0 equals 1? Whatwhatwhat.

DCharlie

This is my favorite shot

yeah, that has an almost monster hunter quality - looks great.

as i said, the screen shots are a mixed bag - some look fantastic, some look poor.

As i say, early lighting/bad captures - 2 weeks, we see it in the flesh :boogie

Cloud

Jonnyram said:

:lol Ahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I haven't laughed at the internet since the latest AndyIsTheMoney post. That was fun!

Darkpen

Banned
DCharlie said:
3.jpg

sorry - why is this screen being shown as "win" ?!?!

<shane> looks like a dreamcast game </shane>
You wanna know what looks like a dreamcast game?

66yp1s.jpg

THIS looks like a dreamcast game.

Well, since I haven't seen the game's current form in motion yet, I won't try to argue which JRPGs it is technically superior to - if any. Like anybody can actually make that claim based on all the info we have now. If you can, then either you're part of the development staff or have seen more footage than has been released to the public. True, you could use last year's TGS demo as evidence but last year's TGS demo is exactly that; a demo made of an incomplete game one year prior to it's release. Huge changes could have been made to the graphics engine since then. And these recent screengrabs could be a good or bad representation of what the game looks like - this happens all the time with other games. Seems extremely foolish to me to try and base how powerful a game engine is with only this information.

I'm hoping this game impresses since I haven't really been impressed with any of the next-gen JRPGs released up to this point and I've pretty much played them all with the exception of Trusty Bell and Blue Dragon (neither for those games interest me in the slightest). Maybe I'll have to wait til FF13/Versus and Star Ocean 4 before I'm impressed with a next-gen JRPG, but I certainly hope that won't be the case.

jj984jj

Kagari said:
Let's not.
I'd post a high-res Famitsu scan from this week if I could. Half of the screens on it are from the TGS 07 trailer, you guys need to come to terms that it looks no different visually from last year.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
jj984jj said:
I'd post a high-res Famitsu scan from this week if I could. Half of the screens on it are from the TGS 07 trailer, you guys need to come to terms that it looks no different visually from last year.

I don't see how you can judge that from scans that aren't the best quality.

jj984jj

Kagari said:
I don't see how you can judge that from scans that aren't the best quality.
I don't need to, are you even listening? Screens from a year ago are on the scan that was released this week. More than half the images in this thread from that trailer are on it. They might have tweaked the GUI a bit, but visually it looks no different.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
jj984jj said:
I don't need to, are you even listening? Screens from a year ago are on the scan that was released this week. More than half the images in this thread from that trailer are on it. They might have tweaked the GUI a bit, but visually it looks no different.

If that's true after it's shown at TGS, then I'll agree with you. But until we see something concrete, I will reserve judgment.

jj984jj

Kagari said:
If that's true after it's shown at TGS, then I'll agree with you. But until we see something concrete, I will reserve judgment.
I changed it just for you.

Top Bottom