• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White liberals and the issue of intellectual racism vs. emotional racism

Status
Not open for further replies.

andycapps

Fantastic OP, I think you could even go to some of these same white liberals (and I classify myself somewhere in the moderate to liberal range) who see themselves as politically enlightened yet don't want black people moving in next to them because it brings property values down. I guess this ties into the segregation others are talking about ITT, but it irks me when I hear people talking about their property values being negatively impacted because "those people" are starting to move into the neighborhood. It's inevitably followed up with "But I'm not racist." These people start talking about moving further out in the burbs.

The above goes along with the OP's idea of for black equality when it doesn't inconvenience me. The idea of being for black equality when I don't have to do anything other than nod and say that I agree with the idea of something, but it's another thing when "those people" move in next to me.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
Too many still people use a stereotypical poor black woman voice to make fun of dumb people. When I point it out they get really pissed.

Okay, I have a sincere, honest question here. First, well said OP. But I have to ask...

-I'm White and I am not a liberal.
-I've got white friends and black friends.
-I can easily walk past a group of black people, nod, shake my head and sometimes I even say "good day".
-I completely understand racism exists in this country, and needs to be addressed.
-I work with black people and they are some of the most awesome people to work with.
-I have absolutely no prejudices - nothing against black people.

With all that being said, I do not consider myself racist. So I beg to ask - am I racist?

Interfectum

Okay, I have a sincere, honest question here. First, well said OP. But I have to ask...

-I can easily walk past a group of black people, nod, shake my head and sometimes I even say "good day".
-I completely understand racism exists in this country, and needs to be addressed.
-I work with black people and they are some of the most awesome people to work with.

With all that being said, I do not consider myself racist. So I beg to ask - am I racist?

You said you aren't liberal... what does that mean, are you conservative or republican? Do you vote for republicans?

I ask because I'm confused as to why you would ask the question of if you are racist or not. You seem to be on the defense.

Mass One

I don't mean to be mean but what about your post would give someone a indication that your a racist? It's like your preemptively on the defense. You didn't even give a example of a situation you had that could be confused as racist response.

So no your not a racist but you didn't type anything that a normal-sane person could confuse for racism.

Viewt

From what you're saying, nope, it doesn't sound like you are. But I don't think someone who has a racist thought every now and then is a racist, either, as long as it doesn't progress into a pattern and ultimately into a default part of their behavior. Introspection is progress, so I'd say as long as someone who has the occasional racist idea isn't just discarding it as, "Whatever, I'm not a racist, so it doesn't matter," I don't think there needs to be a weighty judgement on their head.

But yeah, in your scenario, it sounds like you're good to go. That's rad.

I guess a quick glance you're not, but you identify as not liberal so I'd assume you're conservative.

If that's true, you may not be a racist yourself but you sure vote for them and/or their racist policies.

andycapps

I think you have to know the difference between implicit racism and explicit racism. Does it sound you bear traits of explicit racism? No. But do you support policies that negatively impact blacks? Do you feel threatened by BLM?

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
I was at a Beach House show and there were only a handful of minorities that I saw. Some girl in front of me inquisitively asked the only two black people around us if they were fans. C'mon man.

JCX

"I have no prejudices" is such a weird statement to me. Like you have none whatsoever? It just feels like colorblindess. I know I have prejudices and am constantly woking to fix them.

I was at a Beach House show and there were only a handful of minorities that I saw. Some girl in front of me inquisitively asked the only two black people around us if they were fans. C'mon man.

This reminds of me of the time I wore a 'The Fall of Troy' shirt (which is a screamo band for the record) and a guy asked his friend "Black people listen to the fall of troy?"...yeah I've been wary about that shirt since. Doesnt help it got stained with blood or something later.

I don't think racism, whatever form, is just a collection of bullet points that you can mark off and at the end you'll get a verdict of "Racist/NotRacist"

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
This reminds of me of the time I wore a 'The Fall of Troy' shirt (which is a screamo band for the record) and a guy asked his friend "Black people listen to the fall of troy?"...yeah I've been wary about that shirt since. Doesnt help it got stained with blood or something later.

Black people only like Hip-Hop and R&B. Duh

Infinite

This literally happened to me and my homeboy at a wavves concert. We were the only black folk there and this white girl came up to us thinking she ought to quiz us on how big of fans we actually were.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom