• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who is preventing online cross-play from happening?

You do know that MS Windows 10 is an OS and Steam is a service? If you Steam locked game, then you would be correct.

In this context, "Windows 10" actually means "Windows App Store", which is a service. Their cross-platform feature is only available on games that are exclusive to the Windows App Store, which is pretty much only Microsoft first party titles and games that they have publishing agreements with.

sörine

Banned
Microsoft seems the usual suspect OP but how is Nintendo on this front? Does Devil's Third, and any other Wii U game with an online component that appear of any other gaming platform, have cross-play?
Nintendo doesn't care. Pure Chess (3DS/Android/iOS/PC/WiiU) and Dragon Quest X (3DS/Android/NX/PC/PS4/Wii/Wii U) were two examples given earlier. Sony also denied crossplat online with Pure Chess.

novablue

Banned
This seems like a really oddly specific demand to make. You are basically fishing for a non-answer so you can pat yourself on the back. The number of games that come out on only XB/PS and not PC is actually pretty small. And then, of those, the number that have high profile online play is even smaller. And then, of that even smaller group, you are asking for insider information about the inner dealings of potential cross-platform play.

Yeah. Ok.

All I see here is a person that can not provide me an answer. You can back to any gen that where XB/PS games were made but you didn't. You only think it's "oddly specific demand" because you can't answer the question. All you had to say is "no" or " that is probably an impossible thing to do".

Ironically, Nintendo is the most open with cross play. Dragon Quest X is on Wii, Wii U, 3DS, PC, and is coming to PS4. Makes me hopeful for NX and it's online capabilities, given we can make the assumption it will utilize cloud technology to a large degree.

Bolivar687

Banned
Sony allowing crossplay with PC is one thing, allowing crossplay with Microsoft is a whole other matter. I don't see Sony ever wanting that, outside of maybe the odd MMO.

All I see here is a person that can not provide me an answer. You can back to any gen that where XB/PS games were made but you didn't. You only think it's "oddly specific demand" because you can't answer the question. All you had to say is "no" or " that is probably an impossible thing to do".

So... exactly what I just said.

Of course its relevant,
?

how is it relevant? we have proof that microsoft is preventing cross platform play, how would it be any different with a hypothetical console only game that isn't coming out for PC and why does that matter. If you think it's relevant, please state why or I'll just take it as an indication you are moving the goalposts to avoid the clear, solid answers already provided for this disussion and have nothing relevant to add to said discussion. err....nevermind I've read some of your other replies in this thread. I can see it's pointless to try engaging you any further. Have a great day!

Sony allowing crossplay with PC is one thing, allowing crossplay with Microsoft is a whole other matter. I don't see Sony ever wanting that, outside of maybe the odd MMO.

they are allowing it with nintendo and as we've already established they would have allowed it for final fantasy xiv and other games except....microsoft said no. It's cool if you haven't read the rest of the thread but you probably should.

novablue

Banned
how is it relevant? we have proof that microsoft is preventing cross platform play, how would it be any different with a hypothetical console only game that isn't coming out for PC and why does that matter. If you think it's relevant, please state why or I'll just take it as an indication you are moving the goalposts to avoid the clear, solid answers already provided for this disussion and have nothing relevant to add to said discussion.

Because you couldn't answer a simple question, lol. I never said that MS isn't at fault, I just suggested that its easier to blame someone when you don't have the full details.

Wereroku

Because you couldn't answer a simple question, lol. I never said that MS isn't at fault, I just suggested that its easier to blame someone when you don't have the full details.

Are you purposefully making bad arguments to just troll or are you just ignoring the evidence showing that MS actively stops all attempts at crossplay? Also what are you even wanting people to give you as proof?

See, this is why that's a oddly specific request.

We have examples of games where cross-play is available between PS4 and PC but not Xbox.
We have examples of games where cross-play is available between PS4 and other consoles but not Xbox.
We have examples of games where cross-play was supposed to be a feature, but it was block by Microsoft and only Microsoft.
We have examples of games with cross-play on Xbox, but they're all limited to older titles when Microsoft made expressed exceptions or to games exclusive to the Windows App Store.
We have multiple developers confirming that Microsoft, and only Microsoft, doesn't allow cross-play outside their platform (Xbox and Windows Store).

Yet you are still demanding we find a title that was only released on Xbox and PS and not any other platforms, and has multiplayer, and considered cross-play functionality, and have proof it was blocked by Microsoft. That's fishing for confirmation bias.

If you told me you were Major Nelson's second account, I would believe you.

Are you purposefully making bad arguments to just troll or are you just ignoring the evidence showing that MS actively stops all attempts at crossplay? Also what are you even wanting people to give you as proof?

he want's proof that a console only cross platform game was axed because of microsoft. Also, he won't say way he wants this information. Just that he wants it. in other words, a scenario that doesn't exist and has no relevance to the discussion. because arguing about a scenario that doesn't exist and has zero relevance makes him feel cool I guess.

As others said, taking just what we know about FF14, MS is the company completely against the idea.

It's so odd that the discussion didn't just end here. or at least come to a consensus. even with all the other clear cut examples, this is all that was needed to answer the question.

Wereroku

he want's proof that a console only cross platform game was axed because of microsoft. Also, he won't say way he wants this information. Just that he wants it. in other words, a scenario that doesn't exist and has no relevance to the discussion. because arguing about a scenario that doesn't exist and has zero relevance makes him feel cool I guess.

We would never know if such a hypothetical idea even got considered since most companies would know that MS doesn't allow crossplay unless you are Square and they want your FFXIII. Basically the only company with a chance of doing it would be EA and they don't really give a shit since they do marketing deals with the main companies and would lose that money with crossplay.

Bolivar687

Banned
they are allowing it with nintendo and as we've already established they would have allowed it for final fantasy xiv and other games except....microsoft said no. It's cool if you haven't read the rest of the thread but you probably should.

I acknowledged MMOs and there's no way you could have possibly missed that. Begrudging me for not reading a six page thread when you couldn't be bothered to finish two sentences?

What a post...

I acknowledged MMOs and there's no way you could have possibly missed that. Begrudging me for not reading a six page thread when you couldn't be bothered to finish two sentences?

What a post...

lol the nintendo game in question was the cross platform chess game. unless you think chess is an MMO. are we done yet? are you sure you don't want to just browse the thread again and actually understand what everybody has been trying to tell you?

I had a feeling. I remember reading that article when it came out and being impressed by it on a tech level, but knowing that with how MS was dominating it would never happen.

And the thing is, that change had huge ramifications on the overall premise of what Trion and Syfy were going for. A living game world that affects and is affected by new episodes of the TV show worked, in theory at least, when the entire game was one server. When you could run events that would always have one outcome.

When it got broken up into three servers, that concept had to be scaled back significantly.

novablue

Banned

Because none can provide proof, you have evidence to suggest so but no proof. Your answer has to be based on pure facts not suggested articles.

Three

Because none can provide proof, you have evidence to suggest so but no proof. Your answer has to be based on pure facts not suggested articles.
Please define "pure fact" in an NDA situation.
Lol at the people dismissing this fact. Two different ecosystems playing together is cross-play. Why don't people understand that, lol?
It's clearly you who hasn't understood the OP.

It's so odd that the discussion didn't just end here. or at least come to a consensus. even with all the other clear cut examples, this is all that was needed to answer the question.

It's odd. I figure that some people want to give their service of choice the benefit of the doubt and would need explicit examples.Even then, some may set standards as to what is understandable reasons for blocking crossplay. MS could have a security reason to block it or it could just be a financial driven one. Either way, it's their service and they can do whatever they want with the costumer to decide for themselves.

Bolivar687

Banned
lol the nintendo game in question was the cross platform chess game. unless you think chess is an MMO. are we done yet? are you sure you don't want to just browse the thread again and actually understand what everybody has been trying to tell you?

I've read some of the thread - someone above said Sony blocked that chess game. Again, it makes sense for MMOs, it makes sense with PCs, but there's a host of reasons stopping universal cross play other than Microsoft's schemes.

But don't let that stop you from further scrutinizing me with your award-winning personality.

Lol at the people dismissing this fact. Two different ecosystems playing together is cross-play. Why don't people understand that, lol?

Xbox games can play cross platform with Windows App Store games, but not Steam, non-DRM, GoG, whatever. PS4, Wii, Wii U, etc can play cross platform with Steam, non-DRM, GoG, whatever, but not Windows App Store games.

This has been pointed out many times in this thread.

Zedox

By disallowing all non-Windows 10 App Store versions of a game from cross-play, Microsoft is forcing anyone to play ball by either making two different PC versions or releasing their game as App Store-only. It's a pretty simple decision for any publisher looking at a cross-play game to release on the multitude of PC stores and a non-Xbone console instead.

How is that any different from what publishers do now? Look at Just Cause 3. It's on 3 different stores on PC, including Steam. Steam has it's own stuff that a game dev/pub has to do than the others. (Achievements and such) If a publisher wants multiple versions for whatever reason...they'll do it.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
You stated they have no rules at all. I asked you if you knew this for a fact. You could have answered in far less words with 'No'. I know there are PC/PS4 games already and that they have allowed it. That was not the question.
"You can't prove that unicorns DON'T exist so why should I believe you?"

If Sony doesn't have a policy stating that devs can't make cross platform online games, how can you prove they don't have a policy that states devs can't make online games. Your request by definition is impossible to fulfill.

What we do have are numerous examples showing this to be the case.

But please go right ahead and continue to ask people to prove that the unreal is in fact unreal.
"Pure fact" is pure fact, you either have it or you don't.

No I understand the OP, its you and the others who couldn't answer my question. :p
As I pointed out, being obtuse to the point of asking people to prove that something that doesn't exist in fact doesn't exist is going to accomplish what exactly? I have never seen a unicorn, and no I cannot prove to you that I've never seen a unicorn. If a policy does not exist, how can someone prove to you that it doesn't exist. Oh right, by providing examples that directly go against said policy.

Epcott

Guys need to start a hashtag #xboxcrossplay campaign and bomb the hell outta MS in the same way #NoDRM was used before the start of the gen.

If it doesn't work, at least you tried.

novablue

Banned
They're both Xbox live. How is that two different eco systems? You literally have to use the same login.

So what about DOA5 cross-play with PS3 and PSV, is that also not cross-play? Does Sony All-Star not count?

Xbox games can play cross platform with Windows App Store games, but not Steam, non-DRM, GoG, whatever. PS4, Wii, Wii U, etc can play cross platform with Steam, non-DRM, GoG, whatever, but not Windows App Store games.

This has been pointed out many times in this thread.

One form of cross-play is still cross-play.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
So what about DOA5 cross-play with PS3 and PSV, is that also not cross-play? Does Sony All-Star not count?

One form of cross-play is still cross-play.
Sony coined the term... So how they coined it and use it in their own context is up to them. But in regard to your post and this thread/conversation, no neither is cross platform multi-player.

I'll make it simple. Can players on Live play games online with people not on Live?

Because players on PSN can play games with players not on PSN in numerous cases.

Three

"Pure fact" is pure fact, you either have it or you don't.

No I understand the OP, its you and the others who couldn't answer my question. :p

So developers telling you it's the case is not a "pure fact". What you want is MS to come out and tell you when they actively prevent you from knowing?

Also how exactly have you understood the OP. The OP is asking "who is preventing cross platform play from happening". It's pretty clear that the question is related to different platforms and not the games where they are the same "platform" (platform is not necessarily hardware) such as the games you are mentioning. When people talk about multiplatform games they tend to mean things like GTA not Resogun. Sure if you want to be pedantic and difficult then go right ahead but if the OP was implying what you are suggesting the thread would be filled with "nothing, it already exists" but it's pretty clear what the OP wants.

i-Jest

I think D3 online isn't cross play with D3 Wii U. Other than that, Nintendo are pretty chilled to certain extent when it comes to Cross-play.

sörine;189421862 said:
Nintendo doesn't care. Pure Chess (3DS/Android/iOS/PC/WiiU) and Dragon Quest X (3DS/Android/NX/PC/PS4/Wii/Wii U) were two examples given earlier. Sony also denied crossplat online with Pure Chess.

Ah, I see I see, thanks for the replies guys.

novablue

Banned
"You can't prove that unicorns DON'T exist so why should I believe you?"

If Sony doesn't have a policy stating that devs can't make cross platform online games, how can you prove they don't have a policy that states devs can't make online games. Your request by definition is impossible to fulfill.

What we do have are numerous examples showing this to be the case.

But please go right ahead and continue to ask people to prove that the unreal is in fact unreal.

As I pointed out, being obtuse to the point of asking people to prove that something that doesn't exist in fact doesn't exist is going to accomplish what exactly? I have never seen a unicorn, and no I cannot prove to you that I've never seen a unicorn. If a policy does not exist, how can someone prove to you that it doesn't exist. Oh right, by providing examples that directly go against said policy.

Look, I know MS isn't up for multi-plat cross-play. Its very blatant and I can not deny that. What I did ask was for proof that Sony or MS is willing to team up with the competition and have a cross play game for their user-base. No one could provide information on that so I can't just accept your suggested reasons without no pure facts.

There are some cross play titles on Xbox platforms. Shadowrun for the 360 comes to mind. The upcoming Fable Legends for the XBO is another.

Microsoft excludes any multiplayer that escapes their walled garden, and so PSN - XBL cross-play is out. Additionally, all of the forthcoming Xbone to PC crossplay titles will be extremely likely to be Win10Store exclusive, which means the number of PC players that are even going to try it will be negligible. Hence why it doesn't count for this discussion, since it's equivalent to PS4 and Vita crossplay (except that people actually play Vita versions, which won't be true for Win10Store versions).

crinale

I see a lot of people saying Sony are cool with cross-play with PC(Windows)/XB and that's true, but how do you know if their are cool with PS/XB cross-play? Drop us some proof that Sony is cool with it.

As for cross play between Sony & Nintendo, PS4 is getting Dragon Quest X, and it will be cross-platform between Wii, WiiU, 3DS (well that really is just a cloud client) & PC. NX is announced to join the group too. If Sony is okay with cross play with Nintendo I don't think they have issues interconnecting with Microsoft.

Three

Look, I know MS isn't up for multi-plat cross-play. Its very blatant and I can not deny that. What I did ask was for proof that Sony or MS is willing to team up with the competition and have a cross play game for their user-base. No one could provide information on that so I can't just accept your suggested reasons without no pure facts.

Is this the part where you suggest PC (steam), Playstation (PSN), Nintendo aren't competing but Windows 10 and Xbox are?
We have proof that it is allowed. We have proof it isn't allowed on another. What exactly are you after with these "pure facts".

Mepsi

Didn't Final Fantasy 11 have crossplay between PS2, 360 and PC, if so, why do Microsoft all of a sudden have a problem with it.

David___

Banned
Didn't Final Fantasy 11 have crossplay between PS2, 360 and PC, if so, why do Microsoft all of a sudden have a problem with it.

They wanted a FF on Xbox, so they made an exception. Now they couldnt care less considering they're willfully letting FFIV be only on PC and PS consoles.

novablue

Banned
As for cross play between Sony & Nintendo, PS4 is getting Dragon Quest X, and it will be cross-platform between Wii, WiiU, 3DS (well that really is just a cloud client) & PC. NX is announced to join the group too. If Sony is okay with cross play with Nintendo I don't think they have issues interconnecting with Microsoft.

I agree that Sony maybe cool with interconnecting with MS but as we don't have the facts to prove it, we can only go by speculation. There's nothing wrong with Speculating but when its pass around like facts, companies can get demonized for no reason.

Is this the part where you suggest PC (steam), Playstation (PSN), Nintendo aren't competing but Windows 10 and Xbox are.
We have proof that it is allowed. We have proof it isn't allowed on another. What exactly are you after with these "pure facts".

No you don't, you have proof it isn't allowed with cross-play on Xbox. Other than that, all your saying is just pure speculation.

Top Bottom