• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who will buy Zelda BOTW WiiU ?

What system are you buying Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild for?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Wii U will be the definitive version so am getting that and saving myself over £330

I think the Wii U version will be identitcal (bar resolution) as the Switch version is a Port of the Wii U version and will probably run like arse on the Switch!
Its confirmed to run better tho.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Between GCU and the Visa checkout promo I preordered BotW for $38 including tax. Even at release paying $60 for a game seems crazy to me these days. Find myself preordering more games thanks to GCU and other deals I can stack with it.

Agreed. It's stunted my attempt to get into PC gaming quite a bit. Even CD Keys prices can't beat buying physical with these kind of sales and selling the game after beating.

That said, you have to keep in mind that this is an international site and not every country has access to Prime/GC discounts and other deals.

Wii U will be the definitive version so am getting that and saving myself over £330

I think the Wii U version will be identitcal (bar resolution) as the Switch version is a Port of the Wii U version and will probably run like arse on the Switch!

Unfortuantely the Edge review said the Wii U version has more frequent, and worse, frame rate drops. Nothing game breaking as they said it rarely happens when it matters, just in heavy rain etc. But they were clear that the Switch version ran better.

Edge already said the wii u version runs worse than the switch, they are the only people who have commented on the final release versions.

kc44135

Hmm, I'm still deliberating if I should get BOTW now on Wii U, or just wait to play BOTW on Switch when I get it in a year or two. It might sound ridiculous to wait so long to play a game that's seemingly shaping up so well, but due to the sheer size of the game, I'm probably only going to play it once, and would rather have that experience with the definitive version. On the other hand, it's Zelda, man. Can I really wait THAT long to play it, especially if it's as good as these ridiculously positive previews/reviews are saying? Damn, I just don't know what to do here. :/

Majukun

not gonna pay for a. switch just to play one game.. also, I have to justify the existence of a wii u in my home in the last year, so yeah, I'll buy it on wii u

kc44135

Also, does anyone know if Digital Foundry might actually put out their analysis of both versions of the game on Thursday (when the embargo lifts)? Would they even have access to the Wii U version then, considering Nintendo doesn't seem to be sending that version out to anybody? I'd trust their verdict over anybody else, pretty much. I know Wii U will be the inferior experience, I just wish I knew how much so (also, I'd love to know what the hell "higher quality environmental sounds" on Switch means for the Wii U versions audio...).

lenovox1

Also, does anyone know if Digital Foundry might actually put out their analysis of both versions of the game on Thursday (when the embargo lifts)? Would they even have access to the Wii U version then, considering Nintendo doesn't seem to be sending that version out to anybody? I'd trust their verdict over anybody else, pretty much. I know Wii U will be the inferior experience, I just wish I knew how much so (also, I'd love to know what the hell "higher quality environmental sounds" on Switch means for the Wii U versions audio...).

If Edge got a review copy of the Wii U version, then maybe!

That or you'll have to wait a few days. If you have the capacity to download the game, that's not too bad.

Shaanyboi

Banned
They would have to have the WiiU version for that.

That analysis probably won't come until the Monday after launch.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm, I'm still deliberating if I should get BOTW now on Wii U, or just wait to play BOTW on Switch when I get it in a year or two. It might sound ridiculous to wait so long to play a game that's seemingly shaping up so well, but due to the sheer size of the game, I'm probably only going to play it once, and would rather have that experience with the definitive version. On the other hand, it's Zelda, man. Can I really wait THAT long to play it, especially if it's as good as these ridiculously positive previews/reviews are saying? Damn, I just don't know what to do here. :/

Just wait for more reviews that compare the Wii U and Switch versions, a Digital Foundry comparison etc. and decide if the difference between the two is worth waiting for or not.

Just wait for more reviews that compare the Wii U and Switch versions, a Digital Foundry comparison etc. and decide if the difference between the two is worth waiting for or not.

It would be a shame if they botched the Wii U version, I'd honestly hold off buying a switch if that was the case i'd be afraid of getting burned again if the switch sells poorly

aravuus

I've actually found that waiting gets much easier after the first couple of weeks. Just skip the hype threads and whatnot and suddenly you notice it's been 6 months. Even easier with this crazy game onslaught we're in the middle of right now.

That said, I'm still planning on getting the Wii U version soon unless it ends up performing like absolute shit.

Astral Dog

It would be a shame if they botched the Wii U version, I'd honestly hold off buying a switch if that was the case i'd be afraid of getting burned again if the switch sells poorly
I don't think it will be THAT bad, at least not much worse than the Switch.i just don't see it we already know how the Switch version looks not much better than the E3 demo last year.

The only thing they removed was the Gamepad.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I really want to see a side by side comparison of load times and draw distance. Those are the two biggest worries for me.

kc44135

If Edge got a review copy of the Wii U version, then maybe!

That or you'll have to wait a few days. If you have the capacity to download the game, that's not too bad.

They would have to have the WiiU version for that.

That analysis probably won't come until the Monday after launch.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Maybe somebody else will have a comparison by Friday though.

Yeah, problem with that is I'd want a physical copy. I could download it but... if I'm paying $60 for a game, I want that disc, lol. Can't help but worry this a TP GameCube situation where it's super hard to find unless you've pre-ordered (which I haven't yet). Ugh, I get that Nintendo wants the focus to be on the Switch version, but I think they could have at least provided previewers with copies of both versions so us poor Wii U owners could have some piece of mind. It probably would've been good PR for the Switch version too, since it would've shown folks how much better the Switch version (presumably) is.

Derkon

Still feel good about the Wii U version, especially after that GameXplain video with the clear frame drops of the Switch version in docked mode.

kc44135

I've actually found that waiting gets much easier after the first couple of weeks. Just skip the hype threads and whatnot and suddenly you notice it's been 6 months. Even easier with this crazy game onslaught we're in the middle of right now.

That said, I'm still planning on getting the Wii U version soon unless it ends up performing like absolute shit.

Yeah, but it's Zelda tho. Argh, I'm probably just going to have to get the Wii U version. Why did this game have to be so good? I was gonna wait, but they just had to go and make a masterpiece, didn't they? Damn you Aonuma, lol.

Waji

Generaly I don't care about tech difference but since I know I'll be playing the Switch this year and want a few games on it, I thought I might just as well grab the best version of this specific Zelda. Best, as in playable anywhere as I want.

It's obviously different for someone who doesn't care about the Switch yet or doesn't have the money for it yet.

Still feel good about the Wii U version, especially after that GameXplain video with the clear frame drops of the Switch version in docked mode.
Basically I guess the Wii U version is the Switch docked version, but "worse".
The FPS drop seems to be rare overall. So it probably is more (often?) noticeable on Wii U.

Amory

Damn, people still pay full price for games? :/

I got it for $47.99 through Amazon Prime, not sure why that screenshot reflects the full price.

But I ended up canceling that and got it through Best Buy for full price. I'll eat the extra $13 to guarantee it arrives on release day.

Torgo

1st - No one has seen the Wii U version since E3, so any comments on performance or visual features isn't really relevant at this point, especially for comparison 9 months after then.

2nd - In the video that everyone keeps referencing, he mentions stuttering in the Switch version, but I think that has to directly do with the Joy-Con connectivity issues. Listen to what he says about aiming not being smooth, that's what we've heard from reviewers that are having Joy-Con issues.

Personally, I expect the Wii U version to run at 720p with less texture quality and lighting, but other than that it'll be relatively identical. It's pretty telling that Nintendo has allowed it to be shown at all, because they want to sell Switches.

IMO the Switch is really just a portable Zelda console.. for now, for a few more months. I want one.. kind of, maybe, I think.. we'll see his November. In the meantime, Zelda is out for WiiU, a console I own 2 of and I played Zelda at E3 last year on an old WiiU build and it ran totally fine.

Makes no sense for me to spend all this money to play that same game on a new platform, especially since I have literally zero interest in portable zelda. I won't even take the Switch out of my house if I get one either.

WiiU

Basically I guess the Wii U version is the Switch docked version, but "worse".
The FPS drop seems to be rare overall. So it probably is more (often?) noticeable on Wii U.

I played the old WiiU build at E3 last year, no noticeable drops for me. Plus I can stomach a few drops even in the future knowing I'll save literally hundreds of dollars. Framerate drops do not matter enough for me to spend $300+ then +$ for the game. I have a PC for that. But in general the WiiU build actually ran good, nearly a year ago. I'm sold 100% knowing on what I saw and what I played.

NoeinJ

Neo Member
I will be getting WiiU version. I just can't justified buying switch now, which cost 369 euros at local gameshop. Hoping that framefrops are rare.

Austin Walker words on BoTW were so awesome on fridays waypoint radio podcast, very hyped for the game.

1st - No one has seen the Wii U version since E3, so any comments on performance or visual features isn't really relevant at this point, especially for comparison 9 months after then.

This isn't true. Edge has reviewed the final game. They played both versions. According to them, the Wii U version features more frequent framerate drops.

Jaraghan

Yeah I am. But I'm torn on if I should go physical or digital. I checked some local shops and they aren't taking pre-orders anymore, which means I need to get to the store when it opens to grab a walk-in copy. I was told that my local EB Games only has a few of those, so I might not even be able to get one.

On the other hand, digital is more convenient. But not being able to preload is terrible, because trying to download 13GB with my shit internet at the same time as everyone else in the world... I don't think that would go so well. The servers are probably going to get slammed right?

That's bullshit though. Switch version runs better and looks better, it's normal cause switch is stronger and we have confirmation that the Wii U versions runs "like arse" at times. Read the Edge review. "Framrate dips into teens" which means under 20fps at times for Wii U version.

breakfuss

I probably already replied much earlier in the thread, but yeah..Wii U version it is. Pre-ordered at Best Buy w/ GCU. As it stands the Switch just isn't as compelling a purchase as I want it to be. Maybe when Mario drops or they bundle a game with it or...something. But $300 plus another $70 for the pro controller plus another $50 for BOTW plus another unspecified amount for an SD card plus however much for the online service to literally play ONE game? Nah son. Even being the Nintendo die-hard I am...nah.

I played Twilight Princess on GameCube and it was wonderful.

I checked my Wii U yesterday and was surprised to ser only 1.4 gig available. I know the Wii U can use USB storage but can it be a notebook drive? I dont want to use some big ass hard drive that needs a power cord.

Derkon

That's bullshit though. Switch version runs better and looks better, it's normal cause switch is stronger and we have confirmation that the Wii U versions runs "like arse" at times. Read the Edge review. "Framrate dips into teens" which means under 20fps at times for Wii U version.

Well we do have a video clearly showing frame drops on the Switch version too soo...guess they both run "like arse?"

So...they confirmed it runs worse yet Nintendo hasn't sent out that version to anybody? Am I getting this straight?
Yes. Edge played presumably both versions on Nintendo UK's hardware. Not exactly clear if that means in the Nintendo UK offices, in their own offices or some neutral location like a hotel.

That is why as a print magazine they were able to review the game at all in that issue (when you consider when they went to print review copies had not arrived at that point).

I probably already replied much earlier in the thread, but yeah..Wii U version it is. Pre-ordered at Best Buy w/ GCU. As it stands the Switch just isn't as compelling a purchase as I want it to be. Maybe when Mario drops or they bundle a game with it or...something. But $300 plus another $70 for the pro controller plus another $50 for BOTW plus another unspecified amount for an SD card plus however much for the online service to literally play ONE game? Nah son. Even being the Nintendo die-hard I am...nah.

I played Twilight Princess on GameCube and it was wonderful.

I am paying for Switch and Zelda, don't need anything other for the start. No reason to wait with buying the switch, Zelda is the best launchgame a console can get and i want to play that game for a long time, not on a dead console. I played TP on the Cube too, cause it was the best version for me, feels different this time. And i will have forgotten those 300 bucks until Mario, Xenoblade and Pokemon arrive.

And i hope a Nintendo "Die-hard" like you won't be upset about lack of support in the future, if not even "die-hards" buy the Switch. (just kidding, it's sold out everywhere in many countries)

kc44135

Well we do have a video clearly showing frame drops on the Switch version too soo...guess they both run "like arse?"

Well, Switch version supposedly drops into the twenties, whilst the Wii U version drops intone teens, so yeah, both versions have performance issues, but Wii U version has more significant issues. I'm also really interested in what differences there are visually, too. Draw distance? Texture quality? Less foliage, worse lighting, etc.? These could all be issues that Edge hasn't touched on (not to mention load times, as well).

Justinh

I just looked this up. I dunno, maybe ill just try and find a switch!

Lol.

This is the Y-cable I ended up getting just a month ago because it works with the WD Passport I decided to use with the Wii U after I had no more use for it (also because it was only 7 dollars and free same day delivery). Having a 1TB drive hooked up to my Wii U almost feels like a waste to me, since the only digital games I have are like... VC games, NES Remix, Tropical Freeze and Game & Wario. I guess I should just splurge on the eshop one day (oh yeah, my Wii U came with a digital copy of Wind Waker HD and the Hyrule Historia too).

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
So...they confirmed it runs worse yet Nintendo hasn't sent out that version to anybody? Am I getting this straight?

They must have gotten a copy since they were doing an early review.

Magazines probably got both versions since they need more leeway to get reviews in the relevant print edition, vs. the website reviewers.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I will double dip in the end (Wii U version digital for CEMU and Switch game card to keep me occupied during the weekend when I'm out of country).

And I realised now that unless amazon delivers the Switch & Zelda a day earlier I will actually have the Wii U version downloaded and ready first. Maybe even dumped already and ready to try on CEMU.

Piccoro

I have preordered the Wii U version.

Does anyone know if it will have dual audio like the Switch version?
The only Wii U game to have dual audio was Bayonetta 1&2, so I'm worried...

Top Bottom