• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who's currently the Leader of the Free World?

El-Suave

What does "the free world" even mean today? There are still many problematic countries in the world when it comes to the liberties of specific groups of people but it's not like there are huge blocks of countries that i.e. prevent their citizens from exploring the rest of the world. If you want to divide the world with a broad brush like "free" and "oppressed" does, "rich" and "poor" seems much more appropriate.

I'm Canadian and I would say Merkel. Trudeau is cool, but Canada does not carry as heavy a weight on the international scene. Even Macron would've been a better choice.

MilkLizard

There is no such thing as a leader of the free world anymore.

And even if there were it wouldn't be Trump. No one would follow him.

Ban Puncher

Vm2Lmd6.png

knitoe

So far the popular opinion seems to be Merkel, what can she do if a major conflict breaks out in the Pacific? Africa? South America?

keuja

Trump leads nothing but his own selfish interests.
World leaders are literary laughing at him so I don't know how he can be even be considered as "leader of the free world". Canada is not powerful enough neither economically or military so definitely not Trudeau.

The media worldwide has already crowned Merkel.

Merkel seems to have a different idea though, this is from a recent press conference in Argentina:
No one alone in this world — no individual and no country — can solve all the problems alone. We must all work together and we both advocate ... a free, open world in which we want to shape globalisation in a humane way
German source: http://www.spiegel.de/politik/ausla...fuehrerin-der-freien-welt-sein-a-1151308.html
But it's also picked up e.g. here in english but that opinion piece changes the meaning into something a real leader of the free world would say haha: http://www.dw.com/en/opinion-merkel-visit-offers-latin-america-an-alternative-to-trump/a-39199183

knitoe

Wut

How is other countries being atacked mean germany is not safe? (or whoever is the leader of the free world)

The USA has the title of "Leader of the Free World" because they also protects / encourages world democracy, "The World Police". Both, go hand in hand.

Bernbaum

Trump, America still has a ton a freedoms that no country offers.
Seemingly less every day. I enjoy more freedoms at home here in Australia than I did when living in Texas.

Not just freedoms in a legal sense but also socially. We can speak our minds here but Americans pussyfoot around out of fear of offending others.

America is the leader of the free world, I think it's the people of this country that have lead the progression of other countries. Trump just so happens to be the man in charge.

Seemingly less every day. I enjoy more freedoms at home here in Australia than I did when living in Texas.

Not just freedoms in a legal sense but also socially. We can speak our minds here but Americans pussyfoot around out of fear of offending others.

"Offending others" what does that mean?

Putin knows there is none because Merkel doesn't want the job and the EU hasn't centralized power to the degree the USA has yet. Only the commoner suckers like us think there is actually a replacement for a decent US president.

Ushay

Direct invasions, bombings, sanctions, embargoes, cues, puppet regimes, chemical weapons, supplying terrorist organisations.

There is no true leader in the world, only one who can swing their strength around. None of these have ever done anything to 'free' oppressed nations. Only destabilise and ruin economies irreversibly, often times for their own gain.

RevoDS

The USA has the title of "Leader of the Free World" because they also protects / encourages world democracy, "The World Police". Both, go hand in hand.

The USA is barely still a democracy in itself, what with extreme gerrymandering, blatant obstruction of justice by the President, Republican power grabs, Russian hacking of election data, intertwining of government and corporate interests and rapid erosion of the liberty of press.

You have no business being called "Leader of the Free World". I don't know who is, but Trump isn't and he'll never be.

Occam

I feel sorry for anyone who uses this (Cold War) term unironically in this day and age. You have so so much to learn about the world that surrounds you.
The Trudeau posts have to be a joke, too. Who exactly is led by him?

Top Bottom