• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why am I facing 75 years in prison? (Trump inauguration protesters)

This worship of property is so fucking pathetic. Who gives a fuck about some windows?

But every thread about protests has been utterly ridiculous so why should this one be any different.

Some windows were broken? Omg, time to convict hundreds of people (many of whom are innocent) with a felony and ruin their lives.

America land of the free!

I'm absolutely shocked that you got that out of my post.

Shocked.

Perhaps, just perhaps, and don't think I'm crazy here, we not have absurd potential penalties for relatively inoffensive shit?
I'm shocked you don't know what you wrote. Not shocked you haven't read my repeated comments about how overcharging to generate plea bargains is a huge problem.

I'm shocked you don't know what you wrote. Not shocked you haven't read my repeated comments about how overcharging to generate plea bargains is a huge problem.

You also wrote this:

If they didn't burn a car or throw a rock or swing a pipe, and the state can't prove it, toss the case, or don't take a plea and force the state to prove it. Not complicated.

Own that bullshit too. And GTFO with telling me I don't know what I wrote.

"Don't take a plea and force them to prove it" that's not a viable answer. Haven't we just established the legal system being broken?

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Certain memories of the day of my arrest stand most vividly in my mind: zip-ties cutting into my wrist and the taste of pepper spray; losing count of the roaches that crawled over me in my sleep; the constant horror of not knowing where my partner was.

Jeez, people should really just stop visiting North Korea

wait

[Citation needed]
YouTube has a zillion videos.
Tim Pool'a channel has about 6 straight hours of streaming of one of the protests. It's been well documented by not-mainstream-media and no, not Fox.

You'll find them on independent journalist networks, mostly left leaning, just not in not in the public eye.

Yeah.

This is how police states function.

You don't just get to throw people in prison for potentially maybe being associated with a group. A group, btw, that no matter how hard you spin and try too still isn't a bloody terror group. Protests become disorganized and people glom on to groups they dont even know anything about and are then thrown in a paddy wagon beaten and bloodied because the police open fire on them.
Sure. Hurting and attempting to murder people to force your political ideology isn't terrorism. Nope. Just another case of mentally ill protesters! Nothing to see here!

And, yes, if you run with a group and cover your face, dress in uniform with the sole purpose of obscuring your identity so nobody knows exactly where those explosives came from and refuse to give up names, you are an accomplice. You don't have to commit an act to be charged with a crime, you just have to help hide it. And if you watch some interviews with Antifa geoups, they don't give anyone up or even criticise or speak out against the attacks when asked to. Their silence shows support. That's not a police state, that's them being an accomplice. I have zero symapthy for anyone who sympathizes with terrorist organizations. None.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
America has such a messed up system to purposefully put up a way too harsh penalty just to force people into not defending themselves for a more reasonable penalty.

Gluka

Sure. Hurting and attempting to murder people to force your political ideology isn't terrorism. Nope. Just another case of mentally ill protesters! Nothing to see here!

And, yes, if you run with a group and cover your face, dress in uniform with the sole purpose of obscuring your identity so nobody knows exactly where those explosives came from and refuse to give up names, you are an accomplice. You don't have to commit an act to be charged with a crime, you just have to help hide it. And if you watch some interviews with Antifa geoups, they don't give anyone up or even criticise or speak out against the attacks when asked to. Their silence shows support. That's not a police state, that's them being an accomplice. I have zero symapthy for anyone who sympathizes with terrorist organizations. None.

You are promoting collective punishment and arguing against due process while citing Tim Pool who is sympathetic to 4chan alt-righters, Sovereign Citizens, 3%'ers, Oath Keepers, etc. Groups whose members or ideological subscribers have committed acts of terrorism against black people, Muslims, LBGT groups, abortion doctors and more. Who show up to political protests armed with loaded weapons and military gear arguably with the sole intent of intimidation. Should Tim Pool go to jail for covering these groups? Should these groups publicly apologize when members, or those with similar political ideologies, commit acts of violence or terrorism?

I don't think the author's definition of civil disobedience and the generally-accepted definition match.

I highly doubt they would, given these people were protesting the legal transfer of power to a democratically elected president.

Oh cool, the Fascism Defense Force is here!

Guess you missed the part where they applied a boilerplate affidavit to 200 people?

You are promoting collective punishment and arguing against due process while citing Tim Pool who is sympathetic to 4chan alt-righters, Sovereign Citizens, 3%'ers, Oath Keepers, etc. Groups whose members or ideological subscribers have committed acts of terrorism against black people, Muslims, LBGT groups, abortion doctors and more. Who show up to political protests armed with loaded weapons and military gear arguably with the sole intent of intimidation. Should Tim Pool go to jail for covering these groups? Should these groups publicly apologize when members, or those with similar political ideologies, commit acts of violence or terrorism?

In the wise words of Modbot, Tim Pool is a bullshit peddler.

Oh hey look, the first video I clicked on from him is him defending James O'Keefe and Project Veritas about how the Russian story is bullshit. Left-leaning my ass.

Anything to defend those 75 year sentences for people who were breaking windows. Or people who weren't. "moderates"

Dude Abides

Banned
YouTube has a zillion videos.
Tim Pool'a channel has about 6 straight hours of streaming of one of the protests. It's been well documented by not-mainstream-media and no, not Fox.

You'll find them on independent journalist networks, mostly left leaning, just not in not in the public eye.

You have no idea what an accomplice is. Not giving information to the police doesn't make you an accomplice.

erragal

Good news is by these standards the majority of Southern Baptists are accomplices to various murders of abortion doctors over the years. Throw em in jail!!!!

Gluka

You're free to cause as much havoc as you can a I guess, just don't complain that there are consequences to your actions.

Reading is hard.

Edit:

I'll spell it out.

Why should journalists who covered this receive such unjust and ridiculous sentencing? Why should protestors, without proof that they were involved in the damage of property, receive such punishment?

Can you answer that?

I am not even going into people who were caught destroying property even though the punishment doesn't fit the crime at all in those cases either.

RinsFury

Sickening, but expected now that a fascist has been elected President. This is why this piece of shit needs to be resisted at every turn, before it's too late. I shudder to think what this country will look like if he gets the full eight years (assuming he would even step down after that).

GatorBait

1. Arrest large groups of protesters indiscriminately, with boilerplate affidavits (individualized probable cause? No, lol!), regardless of if they were "rioting" or merely in the general vicinity those legitimately rioting.

2. File ridiculous initial charges against everyone (also uniformly and indiscriminately since they used the same boilerplate affidavit).

3. Force the legitimate protesters (i.e., not the rioters) to spend time, money, and incur stress to fight the charges (and, of course, there is always a possibility of a guilty verdict in a trial, regardless of level of actual involvement).

4. Oh yeah, and you also have an arrest on your record now. So, even if you fight the charges and are found not guilty, you have to worry about that impact on your professional and personal life.

5. Other citizens see the above and think to themselves, "I'll never join a protest now. It doesn't seem worth it regardless of the circumstances or cause." Thus, constitutionally-protected rights are chilled.

This is a page right out of the fascists' playbook.

Personally, if I'm the judge, I'm granting motions to dismiss left and right unless there is some level of individualized probable cause against the accused. Because, otherwise, this is a gross overreach and abuse of authority by law enforcement.

Fascist convulsions are rippling through America's political fabric. The sentancing tactics are absurd.

In a sane society Trump would be the one facing prison time. His crimes are already life+

1. Arrest large groups of protesters indiscriminately, with boilerplate affidavits (individualized probable cause? No, lol!), regardless of if they were "rioting" or merely in the general vicinity those legitimately rioting.

2. File ridiculous initial charges against everyone (also uniformly and indiscriminately since they used the same boilerplate affidavit).

3. Force the legitimate protesters (i.e., not the rioters) to spend time, money, and incur stress to fight the charges (and, of course, there is always a possibility of a guilty verdict in a trial, regardless of level of actual involvement).

4. Oh yeah, and you also have an arrest on your record now. So, even if you fight the charges and are found not guilty, you have to worry about that impact on your professional and personal life.

5. Other citizens see the above and think to themselves, "I'll never join a protest now. It doesn't seem worth it regardless of the circumstances or cause." Thus, constitutionally-protected rights are chilled.

This is a page right out of the fascists' playbook.

Personally, if I'm the judge, I'm granting motions to dismiss left and right unless there is some level of individualized probable cause against the accused. Because, otherwise, this is a gross overreach and abuse of authority by law enforcement.
You forgot

6) self-proclaimed liberals see steps 1-5 and think people criticizing it are OK with wanton destruction of property with no consequences at all.

Threatening non-violent dissidents with life imprisonment certainly is a good way to inspire anyone who's borderline to make the jump into violent acts of revolution.

Can't help but feel like the US is trying to jump-start a second civil war.

It's not a coincidence that certain people derailed a thread about mass charging and outrageous sentencing for protesting against a fascist into a discussion about how there must be consequences for window-breaking "terrorists."

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Going the other way, what's the minimum time for the crimes? A lot of our Felonies have high maximums, but I seriously doubt these people will be given the maximum sentence for all 8 charges. Does anyone know what the 8 charges they are being faced with, the article does not list them.

remist

I wouldn't trust this guys characterization of the situation, he outs himself as a loon in the article by peddling the bullshit conspiracy theory that Justin Carr was killed by the police here in Charlotte. If there is a problem here it needs a more sane representative.

Ogodei

Bigger problem with the story is bullshit prosecutor intimidation tactics. Sentencing shouldn't be a negotiation, or based on the fact that you pissed the prosecutor off. They should take that part of their jobs more seriously.

Lil Marco

Banned
I highly doubt they would, given these people were protesting the legal transfer of power to a democratically elected president.

This might not be true for 2016. We'll find out at the end of the Russia investigation. But it's America so innocent until proven guilty- carry on, little fascist robot.

Link1110

I've only ever seen jobs all if you were convicted of anything. An arrest without a conviction won't affect professional lives that much if at all

Haunted

Not for real. As the article dictates, its a scare tactic and after the lawyers are done they'll probably only get a couple years, decade max.
I'm glad I don't have to live in the USA.

seventy-five years threatened but they'll "only get a couple years, decade max." fucking fascist third world banana republic, get the fuck out of here with that shit

I'm glad I don't have to live in the USA.

seventy-five years threatened but they'll "only get a couple years, decade max." fucking fascist third world banana republic, get the fuck out of here with that shit

Listen, it's important we remove any reasonable means of non-violent demonstration so that they see no reason not to resort to violence. It's the only way we're going to get anywhere.

This is a scary sentance.
Yep. All this says to me is I should bring some real weapons and use them against the police. I mean, if your going to threaten me with life in prison for protesting, and I decide to protest, why would I even consider not going to actual war with you?

Top Bottom