• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supporters, protesters clash at Berkeley Trump rally

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vyer

surprised there's been no discussion here on this, if i missed the thread my apologies

Pro Trump Rally turns violent

some video with the story

At least 21 people were arrested as Trump supporters and opponents clashed Saturday at a park in Berkeley, California, police said.

Eleven people were injured, with seven transported to the hospital in unknown condition, Berkeley Police spokesman Byron White told CNN.

"A large number of fights have occurred and numerous fireworks have been thrown in the crowds," Berkeley police said in a statement. "There have also been numerous reports of pepper spray being used in the crowd."

CNN affiliate KPIX reported that Trump supporters planned a "Patriot Day" rally at noon and counter-protesters showed up a few hours earlier.

Hundreds of people had gathered in Civic Center Park. Police set up a barrier of orange mesh fence to separate the two sides but it quickly fell down as protesters started fighting, KPIX said.

Video showed crowds spilling into nearby streets. Scuffles broke out, fireworks, bottles and traffic cones were thrown into crowds and dumpsters and trash cans were hauled into streets. One man set afire a red "USA" hat and held it overhead.

Police donned gas masks as they used pepper spray on the crowd. A Berkeley station for BART, the mass transit system, was shut down because of the disturbance, CNN affiliate KRON said.

Police said they confiscated prohibited items including hand-held flagpoles, a knife, a stun gun, helmets and signs, and flags attached to poles, KRON reported.

Twitter posts from someone there:

SRBIuut.jpg

25bTzY3.jpg

Some of the videos in his feed from the crowd is just.....

Amir0x

Banned
For those that don't know, for a full month prior to this event the alt-right have been pushing this event as a way to get revenge on what happened to Milo.

They were told how to sneak in weapons, to get aggressive and to use physical violence, and were rallied to make a dent for "white America".

Now you know the stakes. Sometimes extremism is warranted. Fight back where you can. Protest at every opportunity you have. Don't let these fuckers have a venue if you can prevent it.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
For those that don't know, for a full month prior to this event the alt-right have been pushing this event as a way to get revenge on what happened to Milo.

They were told how to sneak in weapons, to get aggressive and to use physical violence, and were rallied to make a dent for "white America".

Now you know the stakes.

I hope they all get punched in the mouth.

Racist fucks.

Now you know the stakes.
In before "be nice and talk to them, both sides etc."

Amir0x

Banned
In before "be nice and talk to them, both sides etc."

I hope they all get punched in the mouth.

Racist fucks.

Yup. I hope they get punched and worse. But we gotta be in person to fight back.

Everyone who can, show up to these protests. Shout them down. Bring a megaphone and drown them out. Infuriate them, let them keep turning to the last resorts and give a reason to fight them down.

These are not reasonable men. You can't hold a conversation with them. They advocate for genocide and hate you for being born. Speak up and demand justice. Fight even when it's hard.

Mr Swine

Banned
Ugh that is horrible how bad this is becoming. And defending Milo? All of this will end in both sides killing eachother

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.

Now you know the stakes. Sometimes extremism is warranted. Fight back where you can. Protest at every opportunity you have. Don't let these fuckers have a venue if you can prevent it.

Yeah, sure. I watched a livestream from most of the event and it was antifa who had knives and threw over 2 dozen M80s into crowds of people. It was antifa who were hostile to the media. There were brawls started by both sides because tensions were so high. And yes, there were a small number of actual white nationalists there but the vast majority were there for supporting free speech.

The whole thing was a shit show really. The extreme right and the extreme left made a fool of themselves as usual.

Amir0x

Banned
Yeah, sure. I watched a livestream from most of the event and it was antifa who had knives and threw over 2 dozen M80s into crowds of people. It was antifa who were hostile to the media. There were brawls started by both sides because tensions were so high. And yes, there were a small number of actual white nationalists there but the vast majority were there for supporting free speech.

The whole thing was a shit show really. The extreme right and the extreme left made a fool of themselves as usual.

Fuck outta here with your bullshit alt-right propaganda. Nobody here is dumb enough to believe that garbage. Go to r/the_donald or Stormfront or wherever and leave the rest of us who know what facts are to get furious at white supremacists.

Link

The Autumn Wind

Holy shit, dude. Get out of here with that bullshit.

And of course there's a "both sides are the same" in there.

Heroman

Banned

giphy.gif

Gutek

lol - free speech.

Free speech is the new mah guns. Paranoia and persecution complex, nothing else. Keep those idiots foaming at the mouth.

And yes, there were a small number of actual white nationalists there but the vast majority were there for supporting free speech.
What does this even mean? Did Mr. Free Speech get locked up somewhere that he needed support?

Man, those pictures and videos really show how low humanity can sink. Like, am I supposed to feel anything for these assholes? Go get fucked. If things ever turn so bad that these kind of people run the show in my country, I'm just packing it up, buy a small piece of land in the middle of nowhere and be gone.

Rembrandt

Banned
That girl in the Twitter video around the 5 second mark got punched so hard by some alt-right.. cowardly runs away after.

Maddening.

Did he immediately bust her head open, too?

I've never heard antifa before and the search results make me not believe you.

Scrooged

Fuck outta here with your bullshit alt-right propaganda. Nobody here is dumb enough to believe that garbage. Go to r/the_donald or Stormfront or wherever and leave the rest of us who know what facts are to get furious at white supremacists.

You are unhinged. I'm not any of those things buddy.

I am not saying we don't believe you but we need receipts

Scrooged

What does this even mean? Did Mr. Free Speech get locked up somewhere that he needed support?

The black bloc (antifa, etc) have been shutting down events with violence. Is political violence okay now? Because this country really is fucked if that's what it's come to.

Amir0x

Banned

Then stop using comical coded language as a cover for white supremacist rallies.

Nobody came out to support free speech, since free speech is not under attack at this country. People came out to defend white supremacists about to spout genocide and have no protesters call them on it for being abhorrent human beings.

If you want to push lies about who started what, then you'll find your audience in places receptive to white supremacy and no where else.

Hired_N00bs said:
What the world
Needs now

Yes, we know. I'll save you time: You want to let those who call for the genocide of blacks talk in peace without consequence. I want them to be hurt so they are disabused of the notion they can publicly say such stuff. Anything else so we can save time here?

These guys are fucking nuts. I was opposed to the original escalation to violence at Berkeley, but these Trump nuts are far worse AND defending a vile ideology on top of that.

Scrooged

But why say that most people on the white rasict side were supporting free speech?

Because they were? That was the point of the event. You don't have to agree with people's political views to understand this.

Vyer

you are parroting exactly the narrative that alt right figures and the people that are those things are pushing. so, to be fair, it's not like it's a leap to make that connection.

You should also question why you are so readily believe the narrative of people who are defined by their hate, racism and bigotry, if you are not 'any of those things'

The black bloc (antifa, etc) have been shutting down events with violence. Is political violence okay now? Because this country really is fucked if that's what it's come to.
No, I mean, what the hell does a rally for "free speech" mean in the first place, even taking away the violence and such. Did free speech pack up his things and leave the country?

Link

The Autumn Wind
Because they were? That was the point of the event. You don't have to agree with people's political views to understand this.
Yes, suddenly being a Nazi or a white supremacist is simply a different political view. If you're not supporting these assholes, your complete apathy toward the danger of it is just as egregious.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

That dude punching that woman in the face....
A real american hero, what a brave and noble soul.

Jesus fucking christ

No, I mean, what the hell does a rally for "free speech" mean in the first place, even taking away the violence and such. Did free speech pack up his things and leave the country?

I'm gonna go out on a limb here:
A lot of Americans (and people worldwide as well probably) have no fucking idea what "free speech" actually means.

Yazzees

how come these people who are just so in love with free speech and I swear that's all this is only show up to complain about nazis getting punched (and not actually, y'know, having their free speech legally violated)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom