• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Milo Yiannopoulos's UC Berkeley speech cancelled due to protests, campus on lockdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hateful rhetoric isn't a free speech exeption. The simple fact of the matter is the courts would force thier hand regardless.

What about when Milo's rhetoric HURTS PEOPLE. And I don't mean hurt feelings but actual safety issues.

Milo has shown time and time again that he will abuse his platform to HURT people.

The first amendment does NOT protect violent speech.

the fact that people are advocating physical violence at a venue named after MLK also tops this whole thing off.

Oh look here come the false equivalencies.

Also, MLK Jr. spoke in favor of riots, so you'd best stop right there.

Seriously, what about this one event has people all up in a fucking dander? I insult Trump, Trump supporters and all manner of racists on a daily basis but somehow people keep dragging this shit into my mentions no matter how direly unrelated it is. Never really seen anything like this (beyond "cuck" and their other garbage vocabulary; they ain't smart, don't know many different words).

Did breitbart pull out their dogwhistle or something? Why THIS hill to die on?

UCB went out of its way to give some shithead free & excessively protected speech, and Trump & Co. still manage to cry foul

WorldStar

Banned
so more libs demonstrate they're fucking all about THEIR freedom of speech, but not their opposition's? Shocking

And to think, UCB was responsible for the free speech movement. What a fucking joke

Nafai1123

Banned
I'm not white-washing anything, you're twisting MLK's words to defend the idea that it's morally OK to beat up political opponents. It is utter nonsense and not at all how the civil rights movement achieved its goals.

MLK deliberately invited physical violence from the establishment as a tactic, as Gandhi also did, but he never initiated it. He saw riots as the language of the oppressed, but he never argued that they are effective or morally justified.

I'm not twisting anything. I understand what MLK preached and I understand how he used violence against the movement. 50 years later and the civil rights movement STILL hasn't achieved all it's goals.

I do not advocate beating up "political opponents," nor do I condone destroying public and private property, but we are not dealing with "political opponents," we are dealing with ideological adversaries. Like it or not, we are at war with ideologies that would see to have civil rights abolished, and who do not value peaceful protest, in fact they make a mockery of it. They and the systemic racism prevalent in government seek to and do commit violent acts on a regular basis. I reject the notion that we are going to stamp out this epidemic solely through peace, given the fact it hasn't worked so far.

Deepwater

I'm not white-washing anything, you're twisting MLK's words to defend the idea that it's morally OK to beat up political opponents. It is utter nonsense and not at all how the civil rights movement achieved its goals.

MLK deliberately invited physical violence from the establishment as a tactic, as Gandhi also did, but he never initiated it. He saw riots as the language of the oppressed, but he never argued that they are effective or morally justified.

"Political opponents"

Milo is not an example of someone you want to normalize as a political opponent.

And please let that man's soul rest without you falsely invoking his name for you to make erroneous moral platitudes about defending the sanctity of bigots.

Audioboxer

Yes. He doesn't automatically have access to all areas of campus. It's that when a public university sets aside a public forum for expression they have to be viewpoint neutral when deciding restrictions on who can use it.

Well, you can look your Uni up here if you want to see how it rates on freedom of speech :p

https://www.thefire.org/schools/

There's a much bigger article here ~ https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...t-free-speech-is-threatened-on-campus/471825/

In regards to Milo specifically, the Uni's clearly have the ability to ban/restrict if it's under something such as a "threat of violence" or if the Uni says it "cannot provide adequate security"

At Florida Atlantic University, Yiannopoulos's September visit was ”postponed" due to a threat of violence, said a university spokesperson. The threat was directed toward someone at FAU, not Yiannopoulos, but was related to his visit and subsequently prompted a criminal investigation.

This week, New York University announced that it was canceling a talk Yiannopoulos was scheduled to give in November. The event was canceled because of "concerns ... about the safety and well-being of our community," Marc Wais, senior vice president of student affairs, wrote in an email to NYU College Republicans. In addition, he wrote, "For example, the proposed venue in this case is proximate to the Islamic Center, the LGBTQ Student Center and the Center for Multicultural Education and Programs," organizations that include students who are "subjects of Mr. Yiannopoulos's attacks."

The University of Miami College Republicans canceled Yiannopoulos's speech in June after meeting with university staff members about operations and logistics of the event. Hosting Yiannopoulos would ultimately be too expensive, the group's president said in the student newspaper.

When Yiannopoulos visited DePaul University, protesters walked on stage to taunt him and interrupt his talk, and the university then ”denied a request" for him to return to campus in the fall, said DePaul spokesperson Carol Hughes. ”It was the university's opinion that Mr. Yiannopoulos's words and behavior contained inflammatory speech, contributed to a hostile environment and incited similar behavior from the crowd in attendance," Hughes wrote in an email. ”It also was clear that it would not be possible for DePaul to provide the security that would be required for such an event."

https://www.insidehighered.com/news...arances-conservative-writer-milo-yiannopoulos

So maybe I am wrong to suggest a Uni can just ban or cancel because they don't want someone there. However, lets be honest in today's climate calls to violence seem an almost certainty from some if it's a speaker they don't like. Maybe that is why some are so supportive of violence, if it starts to work as a mechanism to get freedom of speech silenced. A threat of violence still gives the government an ability to arrest you (as mentioned it's one form of speech that isn't protected, incitement to violence will potentially have you investigated, see FAU above, criminal investigation), but it's still different from carrying out actual violence.

You are completely incorrect. The executive branch of the federal government is separate from municipal and state police (cops, police, troopers, etc) agencies. The FBI would fall under the federal government. Don't confuse the conversation with ignorance and arrogance.

The police are under the executive branch. Executive is not unique to the federal level.

Deepwater

The police are under the executive branch. Executive is not unique to the federal level.

The executive branch of the FEDERAL Government (which was the context of that conversation before you had to stick your 'well actually' in there) is very clearly separated from local and state police forces. The President has no explicit jurisdiction or authority over them.

Frodo

If you're more angry about broken windows or destroyed property than Milo harassing a young trans woman out of her education, then you need to take a look at your priorities

Conservatives are okay with seeing black people being mass murdered by the police force, but, OMG, touch a window and you will see their fury raining down from the skies with fire.

Because people can't read and or don't like to acknowledge that MLK was vastly less quiet, docile and white-safe as they like to remember him.

His lack of response tells me that you are correct..

so more libs demonstrate they're fucking all about THEIR freedom of speech, but not their opposition's? Shocking

And to think, UCB was responsible for the free speech movement. What a fucking joke

So you all about his speech..SHOCKING. Cry more. What a fucking joke.

remist

Well, you can look your Uni up here if you want to see how it rates on freedom of speech :p

https://www.thefire.org/schools/

There's a much bigger article here ~ https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...t-free-speech-is-threatened-on-campus/471825/

In regards to Milo specifically, the Uni's clearly have the ability to ban/restrict if it's under something such as a "threat of violence" or if the Uni says it "cannot provide adequate security"

https://www.insidehighered.com/news...arances-conservative-writer-milo-yiannopoulos

So maybe I am wrong to suggest a Uni can just ban or cancel because they don't want someone there. However, lets be honest in today's climate calls to violence seem an almost certainty from some if it's a speaker they don't like. Maybe that is why some are so supportive of violence, if it starts to work as a mechanism to get freedom of speech silenced. A threat of violence still gives the government an ability to arrest you (as mentioned it's one form of speech that isn't protected, incitement to violence will potentially have you investigated, see FAU above, criminal investigation), but it's still different from carrying out actual violence.
All those except Florida Atlantic University are private and FAU had to have a specific threat and could only postpone the event, not ban Milo.

Audioboxer

All those except Florida Atlantic University are private and FAU had to have a specific threat and could only postpone the event, not ban Milo.

Yeah I get that, I seem to have made a mistake in what I said, my bad. However, from what you've quoted I'd say widespread calls to violence may well be getting done precisely to do what the Uni "cannot do itself". As in, people are catching on if they threaten to hurt someone, say the University staff or head, then the Uni will end up having to postpone an event. I guess threats on the speaker themselves may fall under "speaker security", but if you threaten Uni staff then they're obviously not necessarily backed by private security on the day of the event. Hence why at FAU it does seem to be staff threatened, so they cancelled the speaker under the fear someone unprotected by security would get hurt/targetted.

All that can really be said there is if you as an individual want to go down such a path, beware that even threats can become criminal investigations. "It was just a joke bro" isn't always going to save your ass if it appears as a genuine threat. It's where a lot of these people like Milo know exactly where to stop. If they don't threaten or incite violence then they're pretty well protected regardless of how vile the rest of their speech is. However, if you as a citizen fire off speech or even text-based threats you're going to assault or attack someone (even someone like Milo) you can be reported to the police and investigated. Obviously if you get caught actually hurting someone, you're in for far worse legal action than a threat.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I always like reading the posts of GAF members that think free speech equals "I can say whatever I want with absolutely no consequences whatsoever." It suggests a lack of experience when it comes to social skills.

When you have someone going around the country on a self-described dangerous faggot tour (his words) it is not a constructive attempt to paint homosexuals in a positive light. That is antagonistic and not conductive to a learning environment - yes, even one that's meant to challenge ones preconceptions about the world.

Except, the world doesn't want to refer to homosexuals as "dangerous faggots" — they're people.

If you want to espouse white nationalistic shite though then I'm certain there's a place for you over on /pol/

You don't think that ANY of those Universities get federal funding?

Just an FYI to you and everyone else reading: The mods didn't say I can't do ANY receipts, just that I have to keep it a few relevant posts instead of a wall of receipts.

And I already have posts in mind of yours that would fit perfectly within that guideline.

petghost

Banned
i dont think milo is a white supremacist or a nazi and using those labels to condone violence against his talks is dishonest imo.

he is definitely an asshole who does asshole-ish things with the purpose of being controversial like saying "feminism is cancer" or "wherever there is islam women are oppressed" but i think 90% of you are being dishonest about his views.

The Kree

Banned
i dont think milo is a white supremacist or a nazi and using those labels to condone violence against his talks is dishonest imo.

he is definitely an asshole who does asshole-ish things with the purpose of being controversial like saying "feminism is cancer" or "wherever there is islam women are oppressed" but i think 90% of you are being dishonest about his views.

You're wrong.

Red

Does anyone have a current recap about what went down during the riot? Anyone injured? More property damaged? I can't find much info, there is a lot of noise.

Which things that were brought up about him were presented dishonestly?

I only ask because you specifically said:

i think 90% of you are being dishonest about his views.

So I would expect you to actually back those thoughts up with something.

Audioboxer

Does anyone have a current recap about what went down during the riot? Anyone injured? More property damaged? I can't find much info, there is a lot of noise.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/02/01/us/milo-yiannopoulos-berkeley/

It has ended up with some being injured, so not just property damage

At least six people were injured. Some were attacked by the agitators -- who are a part of an anarchist group known as the "Black Bloc" that has been causing problems in Oakland for years, said Dan Mogulof, UC Berkeley spokesman.

The violent protesters tore down metal barriers, set fires near the campus bookstore and damaged the construction site of a new dorm. One woman wearing a red Trump hat was pepper sprayed in the face while being interviewed by CNN affiliate KGO. She was able to respond that she was OK after the attack.

Or if you don't like CNN, Uni site itself

The masked agitators came to campus eastbound on Bancroft Way, and fire damage and other destruction to the Stiles Hall construction site, where a new residence hall is planned, was reported. The group entered campus and immediately began throwing rocks at officers. In an effort to avoid injuries to innocent members of the surrounding crowd who might have been caught in the middle, police officers exercised restraint and did not respond with force.

Agitators also attacked some members of the crowd who were rescued by police. UCPD reported no major injuries and about a half dozen minor injuries. Mutual aid officers from the city of Oakland and from Alameda County arrived at Berkeley around 7:45 p.m. to assist UCPD and Berkeley city police.

http://news.berkeley.edu/2017/02/01/yiannopoulos-event-canceled/

So far no one seriously injured, nothing like the protestor who was shot previously.

Alavard

Yeah, I'm sure he has a real legit non-nazi reason for wearing a nazi-era iron cross.

Jumeira

Banned
Yeah, I'm sure he has a real legit non-nazi reason for wearing a nazi-era iron cross.
Seriously. Embracing thier symbols, him bending and contorting his opinions so it's just shy of Nazism still makes his opinions abhorrent and Nazi inspired. Pretty much a Nazi, and if it were more widely accepted he'd happily say it outright

Fascist showed up to give a speech and cash a check written by a prestigious school.

Some heroic people showed up and said "fuck that noise" and stopped it from happening.

i think 90% of you are being dishonest about his views.

I think you, like many, are a Nazi sympathizer too cowardly to admit it.

Astral Dog

He's just being ironic..gosh!

Seriously. Embracing thier symbols, him bending and contorting his opinions so it's just shy of Nazism still makes his opinions abhorrent and Nazi inspired. Pretty much a Nazi trying to deceive others he's not.
The sad thing is Nazis would have probably shoot him for being Gay

Aequitas

Has there been a collection of all of the hateful things Milo has said yet? I'm hoping something akin to the "A final response to 'tell me why trump is rascist'" Reddit thread has been made.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

You have already proven yourself to be a goddamned idiot in here and other threads, so I don't expect you to understand this, but free speech has nothing to do with being free from reaction.

As long as Milo and others are not being jailed or otherwise having their freedom taken away as a result of their words, then their freedom of speech is not being infringed.

Beef

Some heroic people showed up

3aa6ca0769.jpg

SeanC

Has there been a collection of all of the hateful things Milo has said yet? I'm hoping something akin to the "A final response to 'tell me why trump is rascist'" Reddit thread has been made.

They're scattered, but some articles on him will link to the various shitty articles he's written or archived tweets or quotes from him if you want to go down that rabbit hole.

Milo hides behind the "I'm part Jewish" or "I'm also gay!" and "I like black dick" to "prove" he's not racist or spiteful towards people of color (like telling a "friend" it's too bad his baby his half-black...haha jokes!) the LGBTQ community (oh...sorry, he doesn't believe in the "T") or anti-Semitic ("Jews run everything! But my mom was a Jew so we cool!").

Those on his side use those talking points to deflect now, dude has done a good job building up his defenses like the coward he is and let others due his bidding.

Garjon

Seriously. Embracing thier symbols, him bending and contorting his opinions so it's just shy of Nazism still makes his opinions abhorrent and Nazi inspired. Pretty much a Nazi, and if it were more widely accepted he'd happily say it outright

He's a tryhard, professional wind-up merchant. His talks are so devoid of substance, humour or interest that it makes you wonder why anyone really cares about him. My thinking is that he has latched on to the generation of lonely, bitter internet dwelling men by giving them a very simple reason for their lack of success in love (it's the women's fault) and pocketing their money. He's vacuous and exploitative and rather than engaging him in debate, he and his 'arguments' should be laughed at publically and exposed for the worthless ramblings that they are. Or even better, people should just save their breath because he is really just not worth anybody's time or attention.

WorldStar

Banned
Just an FYI to you and everyone else reading: The mods didn't say I can't do ANY receipts, just that I have to keep it a few relevant posts instead of a wall of receipts.

And I already have posts in mind of yours that would fit perfectly within that guideline.

cool?

T.O.P

Banned

Sounds like a menace lmao

prag16

Banned
Well maybe you should stop repeating what you hear from the far-right and alt-right and learn some real politics from PoliGAF.

That way when you post in political threads you won't make a fool of yourself.

TIL gaf is the place to learn "real" politics.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Milo acts to shore up fascist and radical right-wing sentiment under the guise of "turning free speech back on the intolerant left, who are the real bigots!" He plays a character that is increasingly ridiculous and flamboyant, using that as justification for "jokes" that are meant to be taken seriously by his real target audience. His "Dangerous Faggot" title and status as a gay man is directly parallel to, say, a collaborating Jewish clown in a German kabarett in WII. Whose act involves mocking himself and celebrating the Nazi image of Jewish depravities.

Regardless of whether he calls himself a Neo Nazi, he is the clownish mascot of young contemporary racists, misogynists, and yes Literal Nazis. They are essentially using him as an excuse to have events and parties on campuses by inviting him, using the fear of being labeled "intolerant" against universities. And of course, meet the inevitable protests with accusations of Intolerance of Mah Intolerance by the Hypocritical Leftists.

But as has been stated many times recently, fascists and authoritarians will whine and whine about their freedom of speech being violated by not giving them a platform, right up until the moment they remove the same freedom from everyone but themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom