• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Milo Yiannopoulos's UC Berkeley speech cancelled due to protests, campus on lockdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorldStar

Banned
Well maybe you should stop repeating what you hear from the far-right and alt-right and learn some real politics from PoliGAF.

That way when you post in political threads you won't make a fool of yourself.
I stand by everything I post

Sorry that you disagree but I'll avoid resorting to name calling, unlike you

He's a tryhard, professional wind-up merchant. His talks are so devoid of substance, humour or interest that it makes you wonder why anyone really cares about him. My thinking is that he has latched on to the generation of lonely, bitter internet dwelling men by giving them a very simple reason for their lack of success in love (it's the women's fault) and pocketing their money. He's vacuous and exploitative and rather than engaging him in debate, he and his 'arguments' should be laughed at publically and exposed for the worthless ramblings that they are. Or even better, people should just save their breath because he is really just not worth anybody's time or attention.

I agree. He has no foundation or actual viewpoint. All he does is sell outrage. Wither you attend his "performance" or protest it you are acting as one of his consumers.

If he could just be ignored he would go away. For the first time since twitter banned him he's making headlines in google news and that's because of this protest. People don't talk about him otherwise because he has nothing to offer.

Well maybe you should stop repeating what you hear from the far-right and alt-right and learn some real politics from PoliGAF.

I'm gonna put this in my "receipts" folder.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Just an FYI to you and everyone else reading: The mods didn't say I can't do ANY receipts, just that I have to keep it a few relevant posts instead of a wall of receipts.

And I already have posts in mind of yours that would fit perfectly within that guideline.
I just gotta say, because this tactic has been used against me as well: this is ridiculous. Taking random posts from someone's history and painting them in a negative light is such a weird way to argue with someone. You're clearly not representing their views properly.

All you've done during this entire thread is demonstrate your unwillingness to actually argue a point. Instead, you threaten to post someone's post history. It makes you look bad. Even if I do agree with some of your arguments.

commedieu

Banned
Great response from the Chancellor in my opinion. I don't see how either side can disagree with this.

http://news.berkeley.edu/2017/02/02/campus-condemns-violence-defends-free-speech/

This needs to be its own thread.

Milo fans debating about how racist he isn't can stay here. Or stick to stormfront imo.

"Last night the Berkeley campus was invaded by more than 100 armed individuals clad all in black who utilized paramilitary tactics to engage in violent, destructive behavior designed to shut the event down. "

The.fuck.?

Liberals are afraid of guns.. this sounds like it was done on purpose. To boost milofs profile.

I just gotta say, because this tactic has been used against me as well: this is ridiculous. Taking random posts from someone's history and painting them in a negative light is such a weird way to argue with someone. You're clearly not representing their views properly.

I don't take "random" posts from people's history. I check their history and then, if I find certain patterns in their posting, I inform people of those patterns.

And the guy I was responding to KNOWS that he has a history of going to ridiculous lengths to defend Trump, so it's no surprise when I see him, like clockwork, paint all the protesters as rioters.

All you've done during this entire thread is demonstrate your unwillingness to actually argue a point. Instead, you threaten to post someone's post history. It makes you look bad. Even if I do agree with some of your arguments.

I'm not JUST doing receipts. And you seem to think that I do these receipts with ANYONE that disagrees with me.

I stand by everything I post

Sorry that you disagree but I'll avoid resorting to name calling, unlike you

Yet this was your post upon entering this thread:

so more libs demonstrate they're fucking all about THEIR freedom of speech, but not their opposition's? Shocking

And to think, UCB was responsible for the free speech movement. What a fucking joke

So you kinda lost the ability to claim you are taking the high road.

Now look who's being ridiculous..

Explain.

TIL gaf is the place to learn "real" politics.

Compared to the alt-right and far-right it absolutely is.

Magus1234

"Last night the Berkeley campus was invaded by more than 100 armed individuals clad all in black who utilized paramilitary tactics to engage in violent, destructive behavior designed to shut the event down. "

The.fuck.?

Liberals are afraid of guns.. this sounds like it was done on purpose. To boost milofs profile.

Apparently Anarchist joined in and they were the ones doing all the illegal actions. Which makes more sense to me, before the fact I thought it strange that Berkeley students would do anything like this.

so more libs demonstrate they're fucking all about THEIR freedom of speech, but not their opposition's? Shocking

And to think, UCB was responsible for the free speech movement. What a fucking joke

free_speech.png

If it hadn't been posted yet.

Red

I can't believe how often this has to be mentioned.

I watched his CNN piece. His whole stance is "well, fuck you, that's my opinion." Ideas and opinions don't have merit just by the sole virtue of being different.
I don't think Milo cares if his ideas have merit. He knows they are incendiary and has built a career on riling people up and attracting attention.

free_speech.png

If it hadn't been posted yet.

I think I asked if it was posted a few pages ago. Well at least it's here now. Weird that a comic has become the go-to for an argument ender.

Edit: Also, the hover text on this comic is really good.

Basically: Defending a position by citing free speech is basically the ultimate concession; you're saying that the most compelling thing you can say for your position is that it is not literally illegal to express.

Has there been a collection of all of the hateful things Milo has said yet? I'm hoping something akin to the "A final response to 'tell me why trump is rascist'" Reddit thread has been made.
Here is just a taste. I don't follow Milo's escapades so there could be a dozen more disparaging quotes than just "feminism is cancer", his harassment campaigns, or how much of a homophobic anti-Semitic gay Jew he is.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...t-banned-from-twitter/?utm_term=.356b4548dc40
https://www.thestar.com/entertainme...-is-just-twitters-latest-victim-of-abuse.html
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...aling-young-face-of-the-racist-alt-right.html (that's a conservative source compiling the racist bating and "cuckservative" stuff that Milo encourages within the alt right)
19814503-standard.png

Milo_Yiannopoulos.jpg

abwEBMO.jpg

I don't think Milo cares if his ideas have merit. He knows they are incendiary and has built a career on riling people up and attracting attention.

Oh you're right. I'm sure for him this is just a cash-cow niche that he can milk. The thing is, all his followers and alt-right/pro-trumpers keep pushing back at any criticism with the trite, and tired af "if you're so liberal and tolerant, why can't you accept my different ideas" line. It's so incredibly stupid. Talk about subscribing to the "everyone gets a trophy" mentality.

Red

Oh you're right. I'm sure for him this is just a cash-cow niche that he can milk. The thing is, all his followers and alt-right/pro-trumpers keep pushing back at any criticism with the trite, and tired af "if you're so liberal and tolerant, why can't you accept my different ideas" line. It's so incredibly stupid. Talk about subscribing to the "everyone gets a trophy" mentality.
I think the stupidity is intentional. It is meant to frustrate opposition.

commedieu

Banned
Apparently Anarchist joined in and they were the ones doing all the illegal actions. Which makes more sense to me, before the fact I thought it strange that Berkeley students would do anything like this.

Anarchist arent usually armed? Or does this not mean guns. But.. sticks and stones? Which isn't usually described as armed.

It's a very weird description.

The statement doesn't seem to shut on the protesters. But makes it clear that they were peaceful, until _____ showed up.

Is there proof of these black dressed paramilitary folks?

Here is just a taste. I don't follow Milo's escapades so there could be a dozen more disparaging quotes than just "feminism is cancer", his harassment campaigns, or how much of a homophobic anti-Semitic gay Jew he is.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...t-banned-from-twitter/?utm_term=.356b4548dc40
https://www.thestar.com/entertainme...-is-just-twitters-latest-victim-of-abuse.html
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...aling-young-face-of-the-racist-alt-right.html (that's a conservative source compiling the racist bating and "cuckservative" stuff that Milo encourages within the alt right)
19814503-standard.png

Milo_Yiannopoulos.jpg

abwEBMO.jpg

Anyone that claims this shit is just an "opposing view", "differing opinion", "trolling" or just being a "polical opponent", I believe, has not actually thought about or internalized any significant struggle for civil rights any disenfranchised group has made beyond the nebulous state of "something happened that was bad and good guys made it not bad anymore". I am convinced that they only have a surface level understanding of what it means to actually have your humanity threatened.

Magus1234

Anarchist arent usually armed? Or does this not mean guns. But.. sticks and stones? Which isn't usually described as armed.

It's a very weird description.

The statement doesn't seem to shut on the protesters. But makes it clear that they were peaceful, until _____ showed up.

Is there proof of these black dressed paramilitary folks?

Not fire arms. They were armed and beating people with pipes, clubs, street signs..etc

I don;t know about proof, but there was talk on reddit about Anarchist basically corroborating this kind of action. Plus there was images of people holding the black flags around the time that one man was KO'd.

commedieu

Banned
Not fire arms. They were armed and beating people with pipes, clubs, street signs..etc

They just went after protesters or.. everyone? I assume everyone...? But this only benefits white supremacists.

So how do we know they were really anarchists?

Damn I feel late. I'll google. Last q. From me.

I think I asked if it was posted a few pages ago. Well at least it's here now. Weird that a comic has become the go-to for an argument ender.

Edit: Also, the hover text on this comic is really good.

Basically: Defending a position by citing free speech is basically the ultimate concession; you're saying that the most compelling thing you can say for your position is that it is not literally illegal to express.

I agree but sometimes the position people are arguing is that we should have free speech and people interpret that as defending the odious comment.

Magus1234

They just went after protesters or.. everyone? I assume everyone...? But this only benefits white supremacists.

So how do we know they were really anarchists?

Damn I feel late. I'll google. Last q. From me.

No, anarchist on reddit were saying that right wing, fascist, maga hats, and the like were fair game. I do not think they were targeting peaceful protesters. Again though, this is just hearsay I can not state any of this as fact, just what I have seen in videos and on some subs.

I remember my friend Bruce (who is gay and Jewish) saying that if Milo ever walked into his bar, he'd probably get killed. The guy is HATED by the LGBTQ community, so much so that they would love to have an outlet for their fury over the way people prop this guy up. The other bartender actually keeps a shotgun shell with the name "Milo" on the side of it next to an unloaded double-barrel under the counter.

So, if anyone would like to complain about the anger from various communities directed at this piece of shit...

I agree but sometimes the position people are arguing is that we should have free speech and people interpret that as defending the odious comment.

Free speech does not constitute unrestricted access to a platform to spew your bullshit.

No, anarchist on reddit were saying that right wing, fascist, maga hats, and the like were fair game. I do not think they were targeting peaceful protesters. Again though, this is just hearsay I can not state any of this as fact, just what I have seen in videos and on some subs.
I mean, aren't anarchists just violent, extremist members of the Left?

Giving Milo rights and protections to be a shit is as dumb a move as a democracy giving matched election funding to a Sharia law party.

It is actively working against the foundation of your own system. That's why you can't have "its just free speech" swastika tats in Germany. They know.

I liked America when the only nazi china one saw in a cupboard was in an edgy movie like American beauty. What happened to that country.

Because it has nothing to do with the subject. Bringing up free speech in regards to a bigot being banned serves no purpose because it is not a legal restriction by the government. The only reason to bring it up in such a case is a) one doesn't understand what free speech means or b) one thinks that the subject is being slighted in some way thus falling into the trap of playing devil's advocate/defending the undefendable

I saw video of the guys in black with masks on macing people and breaking shit on Fox News. The left is getting blamed for these guys, but are we sure these aren't paid by someone on the right to come cause this shit?

The Kree

Banned
The riots are not the right response.

Giving him a platform like this isn't the right response either.

I think we're all more or less in agreement that the rioters deliberately sabotaged the protests.

Also, it was UC Berkley campus republicans that gave him the platform. They wanted to hear him speak and they invited him there.

The riots are not the right response.

Giving him a platform like this isn't the right response either.

Is it possible that a few people went there just to protest, and did not riot?
I mean I don't know, didn't watch the videos. Perhaps they all were rioters. Yeah, that makes things much easier if they were. Maybe the ones who were not rioting wanted to riot, just didn't have a chance. That must be it.

Magus1234

Sure, it is an extreme ideology. Though I think the intention of the protest was to be peaceful like the Cal Poly one the day before, but they co-opted it. It's a little too extreme for me personally but they got Milo to leave, so thats up to you to decide if it was OK or not.

hypothetically, if the administration had chosen to prohibit his speech for non-public-safety reasons, it might have sent a bad message about the school

"you can't talk to closed-minded fools" is usually true, but why would the UC want to acknowledge that it admitted a bunch of closed-minded fools?

i generally agree with banning hate speech in public, but if it could be in an enclosed auditorium or something, i can see a case for allowing it (while also allowing protests to overshadow it)

Sanke__

Anarchists are closer to libertarians so they would disagree with both the left and right on different issues

The left wants the government to help people
The right wants the government to protect people
Libertarians want the government to do as little as possible
Anarchists want no government

But yeah the violent extremist part is right

The embrace of violence and terror by a lot of the young left is terrifying. Milo is scum, but who else would these people be willing to riot against? Bret Easton Ellis for sure. But I could easily see them rioting against Bill Mahler or Sam Harris because of their criticism of Islam. And then what? Maybe a college invites someone to speak who is very liberal, but might criticize one aspect of feminism, so it's time to riot. Where will this end? It could end by free speech being totally shut down through terror.

rjinaz

The embrace of violence and terror by a lot of the young left is terrifying. Milo is scum, but who else would these people be willing to riot against? Bret Easton Ellis for sure. But I could easily see them rioting against Bill Mahler or Sam Harris because of their criticism of Islam. And then what? Maybe a college invites someone to speak who is very liberal, but might criticize one aspect of feminism, so it's time to riot. Where will this end? It could end by free speech being totally shut down through terror.

If free speech is going to be shut down, it's not going to be through "riots" its going to be through the Trump administration that you can be sure. You argument isn't really something that can happen unless you can show that riots are even close to becoming out of control. Even now despite some rioting that did occur here, nearly all protestors are peaceful and have peaceful intentions. The go to is not violence. I just think your "concern" is misdirected. There is a lot to be concerned about right now regarding the rights of Americans and people protesting or a Nazi got getting to make a speech is not it.

America was born from rioting and lives and breathes off rioting, this country is nothing without it. If you don't like it then go move to Canada or someplace nicer.

Yeah sure this place felt more peaceful and safe after WWII ended and America was prosperous and wealthy. But we're going through a transitional period right now and we're publicly displaying our opinions on the leaders and representatives of groups.

I saw video of the guys in black with masks on macing people and breaking shit on Fox News. The left is getting blamed for these guys, but are we sure these aren't paid by someone on the right to come cause this shit?

Read all the pro-physical violence posts in this thread. The utter naivety of the Left is destroying itself again.

People keep talking about the importance of beating up Nazis. The 1920s and 30s Europe was a time of continuous physical political violence.

The success of Nazism in Weimar Germany could not have been achieved without the Left sabotaging its political legitimacy with the working class by engaging in riots, streetfighting and assassinations.

Here's why a toe-to-toe battle of base, primordial passion with the Right has never, ever worked: nostalgia. The Left promises things will be better if we change, the Right promises things will be better if we return to the past. Guess which one is most convincing to the average person.

Progressives are only ever electorally successful when they're the dispassionate and responsible party. In the period between 1968 and 1992, when the Dems kept putting up Sanders-like candidates, there was only 1 term of a Democratic president (and only in extraordinary circumstances). It can happen again.

These scenes in Berkeley are absolute poison to the left's chances of retaking any power in DC. The left in America are at an almost 100 year low in terms of political power, and tomorrow can always be worse.

I think we're all more or less in agreement that the rioters deliberately sabotaged the protests.

Also, it was UC Berkley campus republicans that gave him the platform. They wanted to hear him speak and they invited him there.
In that regard, UCB has yet to demonstrate it was protecting its own student body. I mean, I get that they were cordoning things up as well as they could, but what did they do to protect their students from another slideware that targeted a single student for their gender identity in front of a crowd?

If Milo has done it before in an academic environment, it's only due diligence to make sure he doesn't do it again. The issue isn't free speech in this case, it's safety, preventing obvious harassment.

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.
I don't believe for a second the asshole rioters (not the protesters) were justified, but this platitude is demonstrably untrue.

yup Colonists were sure incompetent when they kicked off the Revolutionary War

or when blacks started the Civil Rights Movement

or when the natives protested the Dakota Pipeline

When did MLK say we should beat up George Wallace? When did the American Indians in Dakota start attacking pipeline construction workers?

You are conflating political violence, demonstrations and general strikes, with actual physical violence. The difference could not be more profound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom