• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alt Right Combo meal: Bannon, Milo, Coulter to speak at "Free Speech" at UC Berkeley

That Milo character: Jewish, homosexual, black boyfriend... how on earth did he get into top ranks of the crowd associated with everything, basically, anti-him?

Chuckle.

By playing up to the 'token' aspect a lot of right-wing people like to shield themselves with. It's part of why Daryl Davis is so easily brought to the forefront lately, they're basically saying "See!? We don't hate ALL you guys! Just the ones that don't agree with our beliefs."

I'm curious to see, if things do escalate in the US quicker, whether the Right will turn on or disregard Milo, or if Milo will go full sycophantic to taste power and denounce every other aspect of himself.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
That Milo character: Jewish, homosexual, black boyfriend... how on earth did he get into top ranks of the crowd associated with everything, basically, anti-him?
He's the one they use to say that they aren't anti semitic, homophobic and racist shitheads. Turns out that wasn't a very good idea when he also turned out to be a defender of pedophilia.

snap

Banned

Chuckle.

Because the alt-right movement at its core has always been about "triggering" liberals first and everything else second. It's why it was so hard to get anyone to take them seriously, they just seemed like trolls who didn't actually believe the garbage they spouted, and maybe that was true at one point. Milo has basically made being a troll his personal identity, that's all he lives for. Take that away and he has nothing.

PixelatedBookake

If Milo wasn't able to come to UC Berkley due to protests due his reputation BEFORE he defended paedophilia, along with Steve Bannon and Ann Coulter? Lmaooooo this is never happening

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
We need hate speech laws.
I don't think hate speech laws would really apply to much of what they say. They're just going to complain about the left and praise free speech, bemoan immigration and wink-nod about immigrant crimes, push for small government and socially conservative leadership etc.

These aren't actually Nazi rallies. I mean they might be "secret Nazi" rallies, but the content of their speech isn't actually going to be about ethno-states, white identity or advocating for violence on minorities, etc.

Milo outing the trans student is the one act I think would be curbed by hate speech laws.

Aequitas

Funilly enough, the administration just spent 600k on security and "student safety" for an event for Ben Sharpiro. I can't imagine what they'll spend on the unholy trinity.

commedieu

Banned
I don't think hate speech laws would really apply to much of what they say. They're just going to complain about the left and praise free speech, bemoan immigration and wink-nod about immigrant crimes, push for small government and socially conservative leadership etc.

These aren't actually Nazi rallies. I mean they might be "secret Nazi" rallies, but the content of their speech isn't actually going to be about ethno-states, white identity or advocating for violence on minorities, etc.

Milo outing the trans student is the one act I think would be curbed by hate speech laws.

Yeah, like I said. Just model Germany for instance. Problem solved. Reduce as much as you can. There will always be racists.

Don't care what they think. See them in court.

KDR_11k

Are they actually confirmed speakers now? Last I heard of this BS the people on the list didn't know they were invited and no bookings or reservations have been arranged.

MUnited83

For you.
Completely ignoring them would do more harm to their cause then showing up and freaking out.

Considering the history of these fuckwits literally commiting crimes when speaking in public (harassment, doxxing, and incitment to harass), no, they shouldn't be ignored. They should be protested as loudly as possible.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
"Mizzou invites Assata Shakur to speak on campus"

IMAGINE the shitstorm following that!

That would be amazing. TBH, any College Democrats / student group at a public university could absolutely do this. (In fact, they probably should be, to be honest). The reason that it's not nearly as scandalous when it goes the other way is that colleges tend to be extremely liberal leaning environments. AKA, there's not going to be a giant uproar at the university about these things generally. (Though Pro-Palestine / Pro-Israel speakers tend to still set off a whole hell of a fight). It's not as useful (or rewarding) for the 75-80% to troll the 15-20%.

So, real question. Why does Berkeley have the streak of anarchists/antifa/whatever? It's not just recently either, there have been events in years past where anarchists just go to town specifically in Berkeley

Berkeley is famous for their free speech views from the Vietnam era (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Speech_Movement) and allowing students to protest for civil rights - something that was not exactly OK for a long time.

wonder if someone tried to do a pro-trans speech at one of those super conservative christian university

(who am i kidding the right wants the left to be open but would be aghast at the same being asked of them)

Why doesnt that happen? Why doesn't a pro choice advocate do a speech at one of those conservative colleges?

Because they're not public schools. Yikes, do people not get the difference? This explains a lot of the discourse here around this topic...

So these universities that claim they are supporting free speech, to justify constantly giving such people a platform, isn't theee an endless supply of other things to talk about and other speakers to invite to speak about subjects? How do they come to the conclusion that those speakers and subjects should be given much of a priority at all?

They invite tons of controversial speakers - it's just that these speakers tend to set off the very young, tech savvy, liberal parts of the internet, so they are disproportionately covered somewhere like NeoGAF. Which, considering most of those speakers are hucksters just trying to make money, ends up working out very well for them.

We need hate speech laws. These people just want to incite violence and remove the rights of other citizens. Other countries manage just fine.

As far as what if poc tried this, BLM, they're trying to make them a terrorist organization fpr saying stop killing people. Thr national guard would likely be called if any rally happened promoting violence. And America would nod in agreement because they blocked traffic. No need to even speculate.

Rights in this country aren't for certain people.

...seriously, you can't be that shortsighted? Who exactly do you think those laws would get applied to in a Jeff Sessions led DOJ and GOP Congress? Pro-Tip: It isn't those white folks. A lot of people in here either too young or completely forgot (or didn't have to go through it) what it was like to be brown in America after 9/11.

Stoop Man

Because the alt-right movement at its core has always been about "triggering" liberals first and everything else second. It's why it was so hard to get anyone to take them seriously, they just seemed like trolls who didn't actually believe the garbage they spouted, and maybe that was true at one point. Milo has basically made being a troll his personal identity, that's all he lives for. Take that away and he has nothing.

Quote from 4chan about Pewdipie's latest n-word incident: "Man, I can't wait until casual racism is normalized again."

Even if these guys don't ascribe to any particular bigoted movement, they love anything that will upset their perceived enemies. I guess that's what you get when you form a community that tolerates antisocial behavior. Eventually it starts to implicitly (if not explicitly) encourage it.

He's the one they use to say that they aren't anti semitic, homophobic and racist shitheads. Turns out that wasn't a very good idea when he also turned out to be a defender of pedophilia.

And let's not forget that his most recent stunt was to create an organization for republican youth. So there's really no defense against saying he defends pedophilia. He's literally using it as a new way to get attention.

Arkeband

Banned

Milo is a self-loathing gay dude who believes somehow he chose to be gay but then often remarks he wouldn't be gay if he had the choice. There are people like this in every minority group who seek acceptance outside of their group through undermining others like themselves.

Flux

More universities should be inviting the three of them. They can yell as loud as they want from inside a dumpster.

That is one of the greatest concentrations of shitty people ever assembled.

It’s like a legion of super villains but without the powers, charisma or a modicum of class.

We've been seeing what happens to Nazis in liberal areas lately

giphy.gif

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Lead them all into an empty classroom to give their talk, then lock and seal the room. Pour concrete over the whole room and the world becomes a better place.

kcp12304

Banned
Why is it always Berkeley? Is it just because it's an extremely liberal school?

They want the chaos from the protests and/or riots. They are nasty trolls who need the reaction. Bannon was reportedly smiling when he saw people protesting the first Trump travel ban at airports.

Dead Guy

They want the chaos from the protests and/or riots. They are nasty trolls who need the reaction. Bannon was reportedly smiling when he saw people protesting the first Trump travel ban at airports.

Why specifically Berkeley tho? Why not any other liberal school?

Some people follow the rule of "give them enough rope to hang themselves with" philosophy.

Sadly it doesn't seem Milo was hung at all and is once again being accepted into society as a valid voice. Maybe people who live that philosophy should start asking whether it works particularly when bigotry is involved.

kcp12304

Banned
Why specifically Berkeley tho? Why not any other liberal school?

They have gotten the biggest reaction at Berkeley even if there are protests at other schools. Right wing media loves these protest. They can feel persecuted and more entrenched in their views. They think every Liberal may one day attack them so they better buy a gun and watch more conservative media that covers this stuff. I remember one day Fox News had a helicopter feed on Berkeley they would check in on because they expected violence after a speech. Nothing happened and but they acted like something would.

Buckle

They want to subvert the idea of Berkeley as the "free-speech" school by spewing hate and claiming that protesters shutting them down violates their 1st amendment.
"They stopped me from trying to ruin the lives of more LGBT members at this school! See! See them for the monsters they are!"

The professional attention whores/shit stirers Milo and Coulter. What decent, upstanding person would miss a chance to hear them speak?

If they do it outdoors, I hope like the marching band decides to have a practice right in the same venue or right next to it.

Or maybe insist that they can't call it free speech week unless every student group is allowed to invite an equal number of speakers.

Or make Bannon stand on one leg in the free speech hole on Sproul. I think this would be the funniest, personally.

Its a trap.

Just let them give their fucking talks and go back to ignoring them afterwards. They're only preaching to their own choir anyway, but hope for the attention and violence.

Go, Turn up wearing black hoodies. When they start talking stand up turn around and play on your phone.

Silent protest, dont throw things dont get anti-fascist.

Just quietly and forcefully ruin them.

They feed on the controversy, let them in and then starve them.

As they leave the college, everyone turn their backs on them.

Yeah, honestly just silently clown these fools.

College kids too hot blooded tho

Alienfan

Letting a student invite anyone to come speak has got to be one of the dumbest university policies out there. Fits hand and hand with America's botched idea of what freedom of speech actually means

Dehnus

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ant-get-indoor-venues/?utm_term=.b6f2d6a62454

So they're celebrating "Free Speech" week through a Milo Yiannopoulos funded event that seems to be having a few hiccups since the student union that invited them doesnt even have their shit together.

So, whom will they out now? Whom will they name and shame and whose address information will the publish publicly as "free speech."

As that is what Milo did on all the other accounts he had his "free speech tour". Rile up the crowd against one or two individuals to be harassed and assaulted. But apparently that is A-OKAY!

And they wonder why I fully endorse and even applaud punching these people and other Nazis.

Top Bottom