• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Milo Yiannopoulos's UC Berkeley speech cancelled due to protests, campus on lockdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's next..snowflakes? 😕
To be fair, saying you'll go out and beat the shit out of nazis is leaning pretty hard on the internet tough guy side of things. Most people generally aren't up for being agents of change to that extent.

For most it's more like "I won't stop someone else from punching nazis and will cheer it on even if I don't throw hands myself".

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
That's not what the keyboard warriors are talking about here if you're paying attention. They fully support attacking people with physical violence who's political views they do not agree with. Which is super hilarious.

People get angry when folks like you try to normalize Nazism and white supremacy as "political views."

PixelatedBookake

The image isn't what you're talking about. The image is how they of the "both sides" method break down your right to give them written or verbal criticism. Having done that, they're free to do anything. If you can't criticise them, you can't punch them. See how it works?

The argument is lost right at the start if you can't get mad at someone with words because that's being an asshole "just like them".

Oh I wasn't talking about the picture, just the bolded. Yeah, but I get what you're saying.

It's fine be opposed to responding to hate-filled people with violence, but when people drop gems like "punching a neo-Nazi makes you just as bad as they are, maybe worse" they will be rightfully clowned.

Yes I agree with you. I also believe that while you can go out and use your "free speech" to say whatever ever you want, you have no idea how people around you are going to react, which is why I have no sympathy for Richard Spencer. Going out in public and saying all that bullshit smh

Dopus

Banned
Clue me in. What's the game plan Dopus?

There is no "game plan". It's a ridiculous criticism to make against an anarchist.

Just how many Anarchists do you think there are? If you want to pin blame then it should solely land on the centrists.

Anarchists been consistent in ideology and values. Why would they vote against them? Anarchists are anti-capitalists. They're not going to support either candidate.

It's just a shit what of diverting and shifting blame to discredit an ideology that holds equality at its very core.

Ms.Galaxy

We have defense-force against violent toward neo-nazi now?

They can talk in public about how they plan to ethnically cleanse this entire nation by killing, deporting, or neutering millions of innocent lives because they don't match the master race and political views. That's completely okay.

But punching a Nazi? Crossing the line. That makes us the real fascists.

*sigh* games industry people are showing their ass throughout this thing:

C3se3VeVYAAqlqy.jpg

C3se1X8UoAAoGd9.jpg

C3se2cGVcAA8dS5.jpg
free_speech.png

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
People get angry when folks like you try to normalize Nazism and white supremacy as "political views."

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. It's easy to say White Supremacy is just a "political view" when you don't suffer, or hell, when you benefit for it. It has no negative effect towards you whatsoever, so what's the big deal?

Zero315

Banned
*sigh* games industry people are showing their ass throughout this thing:

C3se3VeVYAAqlqy.jpg

C3se1X8UoAAoGd9.jpg

C3se2cGVcAA8dS5.jpg

...Aaaaand there goes all the respect I had for Blow.

He's been "repelled from the left" because "it's all about following a dogma, very little about critical thinking and trying to understand the truth"?

Like... what?! If he thinks that's the left then what the fuck is the right?!

Sunster

He's been "repelled from the left" because "it's all about following a dogma, very little about critical thinking and trying to understand the truth"?

The right seriously believe they are "free thinkers" and "the party of reason"

Milo is a Nazi. Even if it's fake, even if he's just making money. If it talks like a Nazi and acts like a Nazi then...

Yup, all this "he's not technically a nazi because..." bullshit doesn't hold water because at best he is normalizing and knowingly profiteering from the alt-right which is an unquestionably white supremecist movement.

I'm reading Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut at the moment, and one of the opening lines of the book is incredibly relevant;

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be."

In short, fuck Milo and his self-victimization in the face of resistance and outrage that he is deliberately courting.

Nafai1123

Banned
The alt-right want to do everything they can to distance themselves from Nazis, which is why the best thing to do is call them Nazis.

Don't you see? Now he gets to be a self righteous blowhard who can consider himself superior to everyone else, rather than only 50% of the population.

While moderates and conservatives are quick to lecture protesters on how best to make it comfortable for fascists, the state is enacting laws that allow to drive over and kill protesters, and Trump supporters have shot 7 people between inauguration and the end of the month, and that's not counting all the hate crimes.

When you give loss of humanity the same weight as bigots being silenced, things like this easily slip under your view. And the same people ask themselves why people are angry or why backwards ideals make it into our legal system and laws in general. It's because show how much they can tolerate as they treat sexism, racism and homophobic ideals with even-handedness.

fr0st

Banned

Someone should ask him

benjipwns

Banned
Because he believes and advocates for the Nazi agenda?
I don't think he advocates for any of this though I've never personally heard him express much of an economic agenda:
We demand that the state be charged first with providing the opportunity for a livelihood and way of life for the citizens.
The first obligation of every citizen must be to work both spiritually and physically. The activity of individuals is not to counteract the interests of the universality, but must have its result within the framework of the whole for the benefit of all. Consequently, we demand:
Abolition of unearned (work and labour) incomes. Breaking of debt (interest)-slavery.
In consideration of the monstrous sacrifice in property and blood that each war demands of the people, personal enrichment through a war must be designated as a crime against the people. Therefore, we demand the total confiscation of all war profits.
We demand the nationalisation of all (previous) associated industries (trusts).
We demand a division of profits of all heavy industries.
We demand an expansion on a large scale of old age welfare.
We demand the creation of a healthy middle class and its conservation, immediate communalization of the great warehouses and their being leased at low cost to small firms, the utmost consideration of all small firms in contracts with the State, county or municipality.
We demand a land reform suitable to our needs, provision of a law for the free expropriation of land for the purposes of public utility, abolition of taxes on land and prevention of all speculation in land.
We demand struggle without consideration against those whose activity is injurious to the general interest. Common national criminals, usurers, profiteers and so forth are to be punished with death, without consideration of confession or race.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Alright, I think we've mined this subject for as much anger and self-righteousness on both sides as it's worth. If arrests or more details happen, feel free to make a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom