• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Milo Yiannopoulos's UC Berkeley speech cancelled due to protests, campus on lockdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chumley

Banned
So people who want to listen to Milo talk are now nazi's and want to exterminate other races? Its ok to punch anyone who says they voted for Trump?

Is the reverse true then too? Are Trump voters supposed to punch anyone who didn't vote for Trump?

Zero reason to listen to him live unless you're a journalist.

Im not going to debate my continued existance with a Nazi
Im not going to reach across the aisle with a Nazi
Im not going to compromise with a Nazi

That makes me the real Nazi tho

It goddamn amazes me how people that say they want to "fix" this country think there is nothing wrong with provoking protests and riots.

"I have no idea who this Milo guy is but I'm going to give my opinion anyway."

Motherfucking Jonathan Blow.

Milo was the forefront of gamergate.

Don't try to fucking pretend you don't know who he is.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I'm seeing some stuff on twitter (take it with a mountain of salt) saying that Milo planned to bring a powerpoint about undocumented immigrants and how to identify them to authorities.

Syder

C3se3VeVYAAqlqy.jpg
JoBlo, what are you doing, mate?

The Witness was my No. 1 game of 2016. 😕

Dopus

Banned
So people who want to listen to Milo talk are now nazi's and want to exterminate other races? Its ok to punch anyone who says they voted for Trump?

Is the reverse true then too? Are Trump voters supposed to punch anyone who didn't vote for Trump?

Nobody here is saying Trump supporters are deserving of a punch. The person is specifically referencing Nazis.

Milo and his supporters aren't your average Trump voter.

People in this thread have no idea what anarchists are.

Indeed.

Rioting can spill over quickly and it paints the actual message of protest in a negative light.

That's an incredibly tempting short-cut to take, isn't it. Some provocative words, a bit of militarisation of the scene, and bang, doesn't matter how many non-rioters are there they are all bad now. That is, if one actually wanted to make a protest turn bad. It is almost win-win, well, you lose your soul, but in every other way it is win win! A winning strategy. Just the sort of thing a winner who always wins might be very interested in.

Correct. The problem isn't with them, it's with you, and people who think like you.

Yup, Im gonna punch and protest white supremacists until they return to their internet hidey holes and safe spacs again

I will validate every negative belief they held of of me, because what the heck they already 100% believe those things, so why not give them some aggressive proof? They hated these people before the riots and they hate them after, whats the consequence

Hatred for hatred wins wars. I wont hear it, I wont allow it to be normalized. If you want me to engage someone who doesnt want me to exist, then I'll engage them alright. Ill engage the shit out of them

Pop

Isn't it such an idiotic train of thought.

If you label anyone you seem worthy of as "nazi", then you're giving a pass to act violent on them. Look at which side is causing the violence.

Sai-kun

Banned
"I've read almost nothing he's written.

...so here's some typed out mouth diarrhea for you all to enjoy, because my opinion is very important and you need to know it"

go fuck yourself dude. so pretentious.

They were doing that plenty, and often..I'm sure you just missed it tho.

Anung

Un Rama

If you label anyone you seem worthy of as "nazi", then you're giving a pass to act violent on them. Look at which side is causing the violence.

The Milo supporter who shot someone or the Alt-right Mosque shooter?

Lime

FYI: Milo was planning to name and show pictures of undocumented cal students, putting them at risk of deportation

UC Berkeley officials are warning the hosts of a Wednesday night event featuring right-wing provocateur Milo Yiannopoulos that his campus speech may be used to target individual students in the country without documentation.

“We are deeply concerned for all students’ safety and ability to pursue their education here at Cal beyond Milo’s speech,” the university’s Office of Student Affairs said in a letter Tuesday to the Berkeley College Republicans, the students hosting the event. “Milo’s event may be used to target individuals, either in the audience or by using their personal information in a way that causes them to become human targets to serve a political agenda.”

The letter expressed concerns that Yiannopoulos — a British writer for the right-wing opinion site Breitbart News — will use his appearance to kick off a campaign “targeting the undocumented student community on our campus,” and linked to an article published Tuesday on the site.

The article begins: “Milo and the (conservative think tank) David Horowitz Freedom Center have teamed up to take down the growing phenomenon of ‘sanctuary campuses’ that shelter illegal immigrants from being deported.”

It continues: “Backed by the Freedom Center (Yiannopoulos) will call for the withdrawal of federal grants and the prosecution of university officials who endanger their students with their policies, starting with UC President and former Secretary of Homeland Security, Janet Napolitano and Berkeley Chancellor Nicholas Dirks.”

The article coincides with an executive order issued Friday by President Donald Trump banning travel to the United States from citizens of seven majority-Muslim countries for 90 days that has wreaked havoc in international travel and left many students stranded.

The UC Berkeley letter warns the Republican hosts of the event that Yiannopoulos could target individual students — holding up their photos or revealing personal information about them — during the speech that will be live-streamed, “putting students at risk.”

“Other targeted groups on our campus have experienced Horowitz’ tactic of publicizing the names and pictures of individuals on posters throughout campus property, and there is a likelihood that there will be Horowitz-backed posters pasted throughout our campus,” the letter said.

Representatives of the Berkeley College Republicans did not respond to requests for comment.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/UC-warns-campus-group-Yiannopoulos-event-could-10901517.php

III-V

POTUS is a grade A asshole.

Free Speech gives you a voice - not a soapbox on which to deliver it.

EDIT: Above... I really hope that is fake.

Dopus

Banned

It's not labelling "anyone" though, is it?

The alt-Right are fascists. It's literally as simple as that.

Man, you should try out for basketball with leaps like that.

Play with your strawmen somewhere else.

If you're a Nazi, you deserve to have your molars readjusted.

Milo is a Nazi. Even if it's fake, even if he's just making money. If it talks like a Nazi and acts like a Nazi then...

12f2ba72108bc6f4843c5abd86ec7904.jpg

Monocle

"I've read almost nothing he's written.

...so here's some typed out mouth diarrhea for you all to enjoy, because my opinion is very important and you need to know it"

go fuck yourself dude. so pretentious.
The great thing about developing an opinion before you're informed is you don't even have to match your thoughts to reality!

"I know next to nothing about this, so allow me to pontificate for several paragraphs."

RedAssedApe

Banned
*sigh* games industry people are showing their ass throughout this thing:

C3se3VeVYAAqlqy.jpg

C3se1X8UoAAoGd9.jpg

C3se2cGVcAA8dS5.jpg

stopped reading after he said he doesn't know what milo is about. that's similar to how people keep saying "give trump a chance"

he's a had a week and look at all the shit he's fucked up already.

jaxpunk

I don't see why this post is generating so much anger. You have to out vote people, not out punch them.

That's not what the keyboard warriors are talking about here if you're paying attention. They fully support attacking people with physical violence who's political views they do not agree with. Which is super hilarious.

Valhelm

contribute something

Not all opinions are created equal.

abuC

Well, yeah, if you're a fan of him I'm going to assume you're a Nazi.

PixelatedBookake

"You know guys, I don't think beating up the people who want to exterminate other races is cool. Makes us just like them you know?"

Q9FyW13.jpg

Nazis should be afraid to go outside.

Okay so I don't get this. I know, as a black man, I do not feel sorry for people like Richard Spencer who get punched in the head for advocating for "peaceful ethnic cleansing" but just deciding to beat up and attack people because of how Nazi they are.... I don't know how to say this, but it doesn't seem right. I think that "black people should educate racists" narrative is played out and tired, but attacking people who disagree with you, no matter how crazy they may think, is wrong to me. Attacking Milo's fans is just as wrong as attacking the people that hate him. I don't feel you can punch the hate out of someone. If life was a cheesy anime, sure. But its not.You won't catch me sympathizing for a white supremacist, but how far will attack racist pieces of shit get us?

People in the thread have argued for and against hate speech and whatnot and how some felt that Milo had the right to free speech. I feel the protesters were right to protest, but shame on the violent groups of rioters that stumbled out of the whole thing. The rioters are making the protesters look bad and used physical resistance instead of peaceful resistance.

I like how Milo encourages violence against minority students by doxxing people and giving the info to his Nazi followers (who literally shot someone one week ago) and this is considered free speech.

You can be against more extreme rioting, but people aren't really protesting Milo's "free speech."

Ms.Galaxy

See, the issue is that you think both sides have merit to them, when only one does.

Also, why are you going to listen to a disgusting human being that spouts white supremacy rhetoric if you aren't a fan? Let me guess, it's to get a perspective of "the other side's political opinions." We already know why they are the way they are; money, sociopathy, paranoia. We already know what they stand for and what they advocate to do.

We've been down this road before, and I'm not interested entertaining white supremacy again after what happened last time. Silence them; whether it's through hate speech laws, making sure they don't have access to a platform, or talk over them so they can't speak, the answer is clear. And if those options don't work and they gain the power to oppress and starts doing so, be as violent as you want.

Okay so I don't get this. I know, as a black man, I do not feel sorry for people like Richard Spencer who get punched in the head for advocating for "peaceful ethnic cleansing" but just deciding to beat up and attack people because of how Nazi they are.... I don't know how to say this, but it doesn't seem right. I think that "black people should educate racists" narrative is played out and tired, but attacking people who disagree with you, no matter how crazy they may think, is wrong to me. Attacking Milo's fans is just as wrong as attacking the people that hate him. I don't feel you can punch the hate out of someone. If life was a cheesy anime, sure. But its not.You won't catch me sympathizing for a white supremacist, but how far will attack racist pieces of shit get us?

People in the thread have argued for and against hate speech and whatnot and how some felt that Milo had the right to free speech. I feel the protesters were right to protest, but shame on the violent groups of rioters that stumbled out of the whole thing. The rioters are making the protesters look bad and used physical resistance instead of peaceful resistance.

The image isn't what you're talking about. The image is how they of the "both sides" method break down your right to give them written or verbal criticism. Having done that, they're free to do anything. If you can't criticise them, you can't punch them. See how it works?

The argument is lost right at the start if you can't get mad at someone with words because that's being an asshole "just like you are criticising them for being".

It's fine be opposed to responding to hate-filled people with violence, but when people drop gems like "punching a neo-Nazi makes you just as bad as they are, maybe worse" they will be rightfully clowned.

Kinsei

Banned

The goal of the whole punch a nazi thing isn't to beat the hate out of them, it's to make them afraid of expressing that hate. It's not like Richard Spencer, Milo, and their ilk will ever stop being nazis so talking to them is pointless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom